• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

I miss this game. I tried to get back into it but everyone who is playing is too good, it makes the game frustrating. I can't even get used to the controls, since I'm dead within seconds of entering a Warhawk. I wish I was able to play with lower ranks for no exp so I can get back into the groove.

Vard

I'm planning to get the game soon due to its 4 player splitscreen, a feature which is sorely lacking from a lot of games this gen. I don't have 4 motion controllers though - I have 2 Dual Shock 3s and 2 Dual Shock 2s with USB converters. Does anyone know if the game can be played with DS2s through USB? Earlier today I found out that Rag Doll Kung Fu doesn't even recognize the PS2 controllers, probably because the motion sensing. Games like Bomberman Ultra played fine with the DS2s.

Are motion controls necessary or important to play the game? Is there an option to turn them off?

edit- Just answered my own question and played the demo with a DS2 after turning off all the motion sensing. Hooray for options. I really should have bought this sooner then!

carlos

yeah, ps2 pad works fine, only problem is a slightly more rigid/unreliable d-pad than the DS3, in my opinion.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that warhawk had its 24hours per system share removed?
I tried a couple of days ago out of curiosity, and both my brother and myself were able to log in with the same downloaded copy. It has worked fine since then, too.

Kinda weird that they chose to remove the DRM and not announce it publicly, IMO.

Sea Manky said:
Try playing some unranked servers, they tend to be more relaxed.

I tried to play some unranked matches, and no, I still get destroyed in under 30 seconds every time I enter a warhawk. In the matches I've played the enemies held the skies with at least five warhawks at all times, and there may (may) be one ally up there with me. So basically, every time I enter a warhawk I'm immediately bombarded with at least two enemies and even if I escape the first attack, they follow me all over the map, so there's no way to survive.

Trying to get back into this game is like slamming my head into a brick wall repeatedly. I'm glad there's a dedicated community, but the game has made it so inaccessible for people like me to get back in. I hope they figure out something to fix this in the eventual successor. Maybe if there was a way to reset my stats or something so I can play with the new people again (is there a way?)

slider

^^ Try to play at the same time at friends (or if your friends have moved on try this thread). I'd offer my services but as other Gaffers will attest I'm not the best pilot. Tonight was the worst in some time as I tried to cook noodles as I played. :|

slider said:
^^ Try to play at the same time at friends (or if your friends have moved on try this thread). I'd offer my services but as other Gaffers will attest I'm not the best pilot. Tonight was the worst in some time as I tried to cook noodles as I played. :|

I don't have any friends who still play the game :(

If anyone wants to add me my PSN is TKAwsome. Maybe playing with some gaffers will help.

Trevelyan

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I don't have any friends who still play the game :(

If anyone wants to add me my PSN is TKAwsome. Maybe playing with some gaffers will help.
Hey Tk, I'll add you once I'm back in town in a day or two. I still play (try) and play a few times a week, and consider myself a decent player, and I'd definitely love another person on my Flist to play with(Sea Manky doesn't count. He plays too much)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tkawsome said:
I tried to play some unranked matches, and no, I still get destroyed in under 30 seconds every time I enter a warhawk. In the matches I've played the enemies held the skies with at least five warhawks at all times, and there may (may) be one ally up there with me. So basically, every time I enter a warhawk I'm immediately bombarded with at least two enemies and even if I escape the first attack, they follow me all over the map, so there's no way to survive.

Trying to get back into this game is like slamming my head into a brick wall repeatedly. I'm glad there's a dedicated community, but the game has made it so inaccessible for people like me to get back in. I hope they figure out something to fix this in the eventual successor. Maybe if there was a way to reset my stats or something so I can play with the new people again (is there a way?)

Honestly, flying planes is the worst thing ever about this game for me. Mostly because like you said, you're blown out of the sky in 30 seconds without having the ability to dodge anything and try to learn the game.

You can: make a private server/password your game and learn there by yourself. But it isn't the same.

Warhawk's failing (for me) is not having a hard-limit on ranks/playstyles. Matchmaking (despite my hate of it) on XBL has a good balance of finding players that are near your skill level, even if you aren't the best pilot at least matchmaking would put you on a team with people that are (so you can worry about the ground).

Trevelyan said:
Hey Tk, I'll add you once I'm back in town in a day or two. I still play (try) and play a few times a week, and consider myself a decent player, and I'd definitely love another person on my Flist to play with(Sea Manky doesn't count. He plays too much)

Right on, it sounds like fun. I'm pretty good on the ground and decent in vehicles. Warhawks on the other hand, are only useful to me if I'm jumping to the other side of a base.

The Frankman said:
Why don't you guys join the clan? I still play a lot and so most people in it.

How do I go about doing that?

Tntnnbltn

I never had problems learning to fly in the green rookie rooms. *shrug*

Although I got most of my flying skills only in the last couple months.

User 406

Banned
I'll just repost this, some people were helpful enough to link it to other people who were asking, but I still haven't gotten any PMs from them yet.

Sea Manky said:
For anyone interested in joining the clan:

Before I can send you an invite, I'll need some information from you for the roster:

- GAF and PSN names.

- How many people you can host: To find this out, just log on to Warhawk, go to Create Game, and the game will test your connection. Under Server Options, go down to the Max Players option. The biggest number you can host will be there.

- An email address we can use to contact you about clan business: If you don't wish to submit an email address, that's fine, just tell me so and I'll mark you down as a "No". All email addresses will be kept private within the clan, and only used for emails about matches or clan stuff.

- Your time zone: Let us know where you are in the world so we can coordinate playing times better.

- What booster packs you have: Just list the ones you've got, and we'll be able to make better server rotations to accommodate everyone.

- Your username on gamebattles.com: If you don't have one, that's okay, just let me know that you don't. Registering on GB is optional, but in the event we start up GB activity again, you'll need to register if you want to participate in GB clan matches.

- Your general availability: Just a basic summary of the typical times you're playing Warhawk. If you're completely irregular or always available, just say so. :)

Just PM me back with the info and I'll send you an invite. Thanks!

As for the difficulty of dealing with experienced enemy pilots, there are a number of things you can do:

- Practice missile dodging. The training mode is a good place to start for this. If you fly with pro controls, here are some good example videos to get you started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX1gDnqJBGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg7suJf12-U

You can even tighten the motion more than Kurby does in that video, with practice. You'll note that his reticle doesn't stray far from the direction he's heading, so it's possible to use this dodging technique while heading for an objective or chasing and firing upon a target. There's also a ton of Warhawk videos on youtube for you to watch for more helpful tips.

- Try playing at a different time of day. If you keep running into the same badasses, don't play when they play. :p

- Keep searching through unranked servers until you find some that are more casual. They are out there. Not every server is jam packed with experts.

- There are occasional dogfighting clinics run by some of the people on the Warhawk messageboards. http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?message.uid=43259673#U43259673 is one you could try, also LaughinG_CroW of GI will occasionally run a good one. The Warhawk messageboards are a good place to pick up tips and find helpful games in general too. Check the main Warhawk board for general game discussion, and the Clans & Games board to find threads about actual servers being hosted. You should be able to find some like minded people with a skill level that suits you.

- If you feel you really need to go back to the rookie servers, create an alternate account on your PSX3 and start playing with that. Be aware that this is considered pretty poor form if you've developed some skill in the game, since there are some skilled assholes out there who create alts and just pound newbies in the rookie servers all day. So try this, but if your level of piloting skill is clearly a level above the rookies, you should leave them alone.

- Finally, grit your teeth, take your lumps, and keep at it. Take every amazing pilot who shoots you down in seconds as a learning opportunity. Watch where he goes, how he moves, what weapons he uses, when he boosts, when he shoots. Try doing some of those things yourself. Fly erratically, change altitude a lot, and use the terrain to survive longer. And always watch your map! Situational awareness is the biggest part of avoiding getting nailed to begin with.

Persist, and be rewarded.

Sea Manky said:
As for the difficulty of dealing with experienced enemy pilots, there are a number of things you can do:

Cool, I sent the PM.

As for the flight training, I've gotten pretty good at dodging missiles, but the problem is they never stop coming so I eventually get killed. The allies on my team are rarely in the air, so I'm taking on multipule guys by myself. I never figured out motion controls in a Warhawk, so that could be the problem.

User 406

Banned
Ew, motion controls.

Try some of the official dogfight servers for practice where you won't be completely outnumbered then. There's usually at least one of them with 8 or more players each day.

And I've gone ahead and sent clan invites to you and revolverjgw and added your data to the clan spreadsheet. :)

I've played a bit the last few days on a mixed game server. Loads of fun going undercover and wreaking havoc in the enemy base. On Badlands I tend to grab a tank and go around the back (with a wrench to keep in shape) or simply crash land a Warhawk near their garages. On the capital level, I found it extremely fun to fly low to avoid their turrets, then land and enter their base. They never expect me there so I can kill off newly spawned or go up top to grenade the turrets. :D

Something I've wondered for a while: is it possible to play online with two people on split-screen? I know it can be played locally with four people but can you also go online to a normal server?

Tntnnbltn

Scroll down the details list when looking at unranked ("Player") matches to see if the splitscreen box is ticked.

Edit: I have an exam in six hours that I NEED to study for, but the only thing I can think about is Warhawk.

So I finally played it again for around 6 hours in the last two days.
After getting used to my weird control scheme (inverted up-down for WHs) I managed to be pretty successful on official servers (ranking between 1-5 most of the time). However I also did have frustrating periods when my team was doing stupid shit.
Is there any chance for a clan war? Or maybe a day we single out to play WH together? ^^

slider

^^ Awesome.

When PSN was down yesterday I was hoping against all rationality that on log in there'd be an annoucement about "Starhawk". Having struggled to find decent servers (being extremely fussy) I'm convinced this needs a boost.

And ouch... some pilot called lycan...something kicked my* ass consistently.

*Was playing on a friend's account.

User 406

Banned
Hit a few milestones today!

I passed 600,000 points, I am the 20th person to do so, and today is the 2nd anniversary of Warhawk's launch! :D

HAPPY WARHAWK DAY, EVERYBODY!

carlos

Damn, I had planned to hit General rank on the day of the anniversary (just under 2k to go).
Unfortunately, it seems I have a medical condition that kept me away from the ps3 this week...oh well. But if I remember correctly, WH didn't come out in PR until the 29th, so I can still go for my original goal ;)

I think I will stop playing after general, since the remaining medals/award seem too out of reach (30 more deathmatch wins, WH rank every land weapon) and I have a big backlog of ps3 games that demand my attention o_O

Anyway, congrats on 600,000, Manky!

carlos

Finally, General; 276000 point, 980 hours, ranked around 850....Now the big question is: will I be able to stop playing? ;)

User 406

Banned
The Warhawk boards are littered with old threads started by people who said they were going to stop playing Warhawk.

They're still posting and playing. :p

Congrats, General Carlos! :D

slider

ACE 1991 said:
How active is this game? I'm considering picking it up...

Get it. Depending on your region you'll find a very good, populated server every day. And it's a hoot.

Also, congrats to Sea Manky and Carlos. Man, lucky I don't care about promotion... I've been at the same rank for months.

Tntnnbltn

Who is 'weasel[somethingsomething]'. I just played with them on Eucadia BM CTF with an alt acct. I carried them to the flag in an APC.

Tntnnbltn said:
Who is 'weasel[somethingsomething]'. I just played with them on Eucadia BM CTF with an alt acct. I carried them to the flag in an APC.
Alt account? Stop cheatin' yo and come take your weekly beating.

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
Alt account? Stop cheatin' yo and come take your weekly beating.
Warhawk official servers are doing that stupid annoying thing where you can't join a room you've previously played. I'm currently locked out of (ALL)-CTF-Lg1, (ALL)-CTF-Lg2, (UK)-CTF-Lg1, (DE)-CTF-Lg1 and (FR)-CTF-Lg1. Whenever I try to enter one of those games it hangs on the connection screen then says could not be connected. Logging out and in doesn't fix it, quitting the game doesn't fix it, restarting the console doesn't fix it. Been like this for 24-48 hours now.

There are a couple (ALL)-MIX servers but coming across a CTF mode one a highly populated server is a rarity. So without any APC-enabled CTF maps on my main account, I moved to a different one.

You need to play regular CTF, so relaxing and tough. You literally have to have balls of steel to succeed in it or hope the other team is full of noobs.

The Frankman said:
You need to play regular CTF, so relaxing and tough. You literally have to have balls of steel to succeed in it or hope the other team is full of noobs.
I hate it when a severely dominating team tries to pin down the enemy into their home base and then hopes to capture the flag in the following clusterfuck. So stupid. Oftentimes these games end in a tie. What you basically need is most bases, not all of them and ideally air superiority.
What I also hate is the ability to transport the flag in a hawk on US servers. Somehow it feels like there's no strategy to it..

User 406

Banned
FCTF is a special kind of server, not just all US CTF servers. Just don't play in the FCTF games if you don't like them. They do require strategy, it's just a different one. Strong defense is critical, and bases are still very important for more warhawks and safe territory to land in if you've gotten the flag out and are being chased. It's a lot faster paced and there's much less margin for error.

And personally, I prefer to pin down the enemy to their home base before getting the flag out. As long as your team is persistent in going for the flag, it's just a matter of time before you do, then they have very little chance to get it back. I very rarely see tie games in this situation. If you let them have more bases, then you have more distance to cover with the flag before you're in safe territory, so while it might be somewhat easier to get it out of their home base, they have a much better chance of stopping you and returning it. Plus, if they have more bases, they have more warhawks, vehicles, and weapons, and have a better chance of turning the tables and putting the squeeze on your team. It's like an arm wrestling match.

Not to mention, going in to get the flag with sixteen angry guys right there trying to kill you is FUN. That's the kind of chaos Warhawk is all about. :D

Tntnnbltn

Phantast2k said:
I hate it when a severely dominating team tries to pin down the enemy into their home base and then hopes to capture the flag in the following clusterfuck. So stupid. Oftentimes these games end in a tie. What you basically need is most bases, not all of them and ideally air superiority.
That's why I like BM CTF. All it takes is one APC hidden somewhere to give your team a chance at reclaiming bases. Lots of maps have places where you can discreetly park and keep spawning people until you at least have on base.

slider

Dammit. Is the number of servers at an all time low? Filters set to include everything and I'm only getting 30ish in total. Sucks. I wanted to play Zones.

slider said:
Dammit. Is the number of servers at an all time low? Filters set to include everything and I'm only getting 30ish in total. Sucks. I wanted to play Zones.
huh? Never had less than 100, often times over 200 even. Probably a short down time or something.
Tntnnbltn said:
That's why I like BM CTF. All it takes is one APC hidden somewhere to give your team a chance at reclaiming bases. Lots of maps have places where you can discreetly park and keep spawning people until you at least have on base.
yeah, I still haven't gotten the the expansions :(
Every time I'm about to buy them I think to myself: this or a psn game, this or a psn game, this or a psn game -- and I always go with the psn game :(
But with the new psn cards at a bargain price from UK I think I'll give in :)
Sea Manky said:
Not to mention, going in to get the flag with sixteen angry guys right there trying to kill you is FUN. That's the kind of chaos Warhawk is all about. :D
That is very true :)

Tntnnbltn

One of my favourite strategies on maps like Archipelago is the 'run off with the flag while dropping a trail of mines and health packs as you go' strategy. Health packs for the keeping alive, mines for the inevitable trail of people who come out of the home base chasing you.

Question, for those of you who have encountered your own team mates causing you to suicide, is there anything you can do besides making their time during the game a living hell? I saw a guy yesterday who caused two guys with the flag close to the base to suicide and then just picked up their flag and carried it to the base himself. No one did anything. What do you recommend for people like this besides the most extreme torture possible lol.

Tntnnbltn

If they make a habit of it, TOW them when they are about to return the flag? :p

Although I must admit when I (unknowingly) enter a room with friendly fire turned on I always accidentally kill flag carriers with the APC when trying to pick them up.

Top Bottom