• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Tntnnbltn said:
If they make a habit of it, TOW them when they are about to return the flag? :p

Although I must admit when I (unknowingly) enter a room with friendly fire turned on I always accidentally kill flag carriers with the APC when trying to pick them up.
But because its ranked games you cannot team kill, all you can do is cause someone to suicide by pushing them over a cliff.

User 406

Banned
Personally, I just ignore fuckbags like that. Just be aware of them, warn your teammates, and work around them. Of course if you play in player ranked games where the FF is always on, you can just teamkill their punk asses. :D

User 406

Banned
It took me about 760 hours. If you want a projection for yourself, just calculate how many points you have left to reach General, then divide by your score per minute stat, then divide by 60 to get a rough estimate of how many more hours it will take if you keep scoring at that rate.

slider

I still can't find any Zones servers. Sure, I get them in a couple of mixed servers and there's one UK Expert server but no one's ever in there.

:(

Total servers last night - official, player, everything - was 40ish. Not good enough.

Victrix

*beard*
What's the story with buying this game now? Is there a package that has all the DLC?

I hate coming in late to games with DLC that splits up the community, I started playing KZ2 with a friend and we'd try to join a bunch of servers and get 'you don't have this or that dlc map pack'. Lame :|

slider

slider said:
I still can't find any Zones servers. Sure, I get them in a couple of mixed servers and there's one UK Expert server but no one's ever in there.

Total servers last night - official, player, everything - was 40ish. Not good enough.

Heh, the UK Expert Zones server had 18 players the other night. I was so happy. But this means I've been playing a lot more CTF. Not as good as Zones IMO but still pretty cool. I do seem to find team mis-matches more often in CTF though. Weird.

Tntnnbltn

I've noticed that BM Archipelago CTF has more tendency to be a base-rape situation than regular Arcihpelago CTF. I think it's because (1) the layout disadvantages APC's trying to take the middle base (nowhere to hide, one skinny path, no alternate routes), and (2) the center base is highly populated with tanks, planes and mines (the main enemies of an APC).

Combined effect is that your APC is useless if you don't have the middle base. A lot of the time you don't even get to the centre doors, and when you do they are invariably mined (only you don't have a chance to hop out and 'nade the mines cause a tank is chasing you).

Enemy APC of course works fine, so they push forwards into your base even more and it's often a match-long base-rape.

rc213

The Frankman said:
Might as well purchase the bundle, It's cheaper and worth it if you haven't bought any packs yet.

Went through my download list and found Operation Omega Dawn and Operation Broken Mirror already purchased.

Is there a GAF clan I can join? I'm really just looking for people to play with.

Tntnnbltn said:
I've gotten to the point where I recognise your voice. Surprising considering I only ever get to play with you at ~5am local.
I've always wondered why you don't use a mic...

I usually shout out if a base is being swarmed because you get teams where everyone wants to flagcap and not take bases from time to time. If there's no real leadership on a team I'll take over though and QB the Defense/Offense. You play on the France servers alot, is that where you're from?

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
You play on the France servers alot, is that where you're from?
I go wherever the people are. I'm from Australia, and we don't have our own (ALL)-CTF. UK, DE and FR have activity at night, US servers in the early morning.

That being said, FOO-CTF is back. :D :D Been playing it all weekend.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The one thing stopping me from point whoring all the way up to Commander is Bandit Tank (7 kills in a round with the tank)...

and I suck with the tank. :(

After that the badges/requirements for higher ranks get fucking insane. Some to the point where I just don't want to play the game anymore (I fucking hate flying, and requiring me to kill 20 people in a round with a Warhawk with about 400 total kills is just insane).

This game is so annoying in wanting me to get those ranks for Platinum. The only trophies (besides the secret "hit list") left I have are those. Grrr...

carlos

Yeah, not a good idea to play WH with a platinum trophy in mind; I really think its the most demanding game to get it....after 1000 hours, I'm still at 86% (30 deathmatch wins are not happening, and the warhawk level weapon requirements are quite demanding as well).
I really gave up on the idea a while ago and only play for fun occasionally (fun is still abundant, at least)

rc213

I have fallen in love with this game once again. Nice that they included a trophy for taking out a Warhawk with my favorite weapon, The Tank. So awesome!

Just bought a 50 inch 1080p hd screen and swooped up an hdmi cable for my ps3... going to start playin this again REAL soon.. love me some warhawk ..

(also a little OT here... was there ever any actual word on the whole StarHawk thing? )

TheSeks

carlos said:
Yeah, not a good idea to play WH with a platinum trophy in mind; I really think its the most demanding game to get it....after 1000 hours, I'm still at 86% (30 deathmatch wins are not happening, and the warhawk level weapon requirements are quite demanding as well).
I really gave up on the idea a while ago and only play for fun occasionally (fun is still abundant, at least)

I try playing for fun, but I dislike the fact that your life means so little and the fact that you can be blown out of the air while you're taking off/trying to adjust to the air.

I think I've given up on this game. It's too damn annoying for me. I kinda wish I could sell it/trade it in, but it's the digital copy. *sigh*

It's like a love/hate relationship for me.

"Oh, I'll play a little bit of Warhawk today... Maybe shoot for the 7 tank kills to get--"
(Tank blown to hell, teammates taking tank I was about to enter, team losing... team sucking... being blown to hell by Warhawks)
"--Well, fuck this shit."

rc213

TheSeks said:
I try playing for fun, but I dislike the fact that your life means so little and the fact that you can be blown out of the air while you're taking off/trying to adjust to the air.

I think I've given up on this game. It's too damn annoying for me. I kinda wish I could sell it/trade it in, but it's the digital copy. *sigh*

It's like a love/hate relationship for me.

"Oh, I'll play a little bit of Warhawk today... Maybe shoot for the 7 tank kills to get--"
(Tank blown to hell, teammates taking tank I was about to enter, team losing... team sucking... being blown to hell by Warhawks)
"--Well, fuck this shit."
Why not create a private match with friends to tweak your skills.

Also, With any vehicle you better be ready to jump out at any second. I always have the rocket launcher ready to attack once I get out of a vehicle while under attack. Don't let a few bad sequences discourage you.

slider said:
You can't just leave it at that! Please explain further??

When the guy tries he really kicks ass.
It was weird... outside of announcing potential threats I usually wait 2-4 minutes to see who takes charge on the mic, but this dude had it down cold. APC coming near middle base in Tau Glacier map? He's on it. Tow spawned on our side of the map? He's on it. Now I might've confused his voice but he seems like he's a guy who communicates w/o over stressing... now we only played one game and I logged off so for all I know I could be wrong...

Don't have enough of a book on him, not like Tntnnbltn.

TheSeks

rc213 said:
Why not create a private match with friends to tweak your skills.

Because I don't know anyone with Warhawk and ranked matches (which are required for the rank ups) need at least 4-8 players before starting. :|

Also, With any vehicle you better be ready to jump out at any second. I always have the rocket launcher ready to attack once I get out of a vehicle while under attack. Don't let a few bad sequences discourage you.

Vehicles in general are deathtraps for me. If it wasn't for the huge maps, I wouldn't even bother with them.

TheSeks said:
Vehicles in general are deathtraps for me. If it wasn't for the huge maps, I wouldn't even bother with them.
... you can't have this mentality. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, DUDE. It's all about causing as much damage to the other team/supporting your teammates. I don't know if you're playing CTF, but if I die so that my teammate can pull away and caps a flag I did my job.

slider

The Frankman said:
It was weird... outside of announcing potential threats I usually wait 2-4 minutes to see who takes charge on the mic, but this dude had it down cold. APC coming near middle base in Tau Glacier map? He's on it. Tow spawned on our side of the map? He's on it. Now I might've confused his voice but he seems like he's a guy who communicates w/o over stressing... now we only played one game and I logged off so for all I know I could be wrong...

Don't have enough of a book on him, not like Tntnnbltn.

Know exactly what you mean. In the good old days of Palantiri(?) hosting 24p games he'd co-ordinate expertly. It was when I first started playing properly so it was much appreciated.

carlos

There's still some activity in this thread, along with the fact that I haven't played with most of the recent posters, makes me think we could have a small get together like in the old days...

I was thinking perhaps on saturday, the 24th (in the afternoon, eastern time, but subject to change if needed).

I can only host 8, but I'll gladly set up the server if that's what it takes to find you guys online; I'll make sure to have the my headset charged up for it :)

Lemme know if there's interest and if you have any map requests

I play everyday-every other day.
Tntnnbltn does also but at various times and prefers games where APCs are around (no mic).
Sea Manky I guess started playing again, never really noticed him online when I play.

there's a few other GAFfers not in the clan I've seen also.

TheSeks

The Frankman said:
... you can't have this mentality. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, DUDE. It's all about causing as much damage to the other team/supporting your teammates. I don't know if you're playing CTF, but if I die so that my teammate can pull away and caps a flag I did my job.

Yeah, well vehicles generally mean my life is 10 seconds long from getting into them. They are no use to me. I rather just stay on the ground (esp. since flying is fucking hard and I'm blown to hell as soon as I get in one) and knife people.

slider

carlos said:
There's still some activity in this thread, along with the fact that I haven't played with most of the recent posters, makes me think we could have a small get together like in the old days...

I was thinking perhaps on saturday, the 24th (in the afternoon, eastern time, but subject to change if needed).

I can only host 8, but I'll gladly set up the server if that's what it takes to find you guys online; I'll make sure to have the my headset charged up for it :)

Lemme know if there's interest and if you have any map requests

I'd be keen! Any maps, any game modes... anything. C'mon people who lurk the thread, raise your voices and lets see what's what. Great initiative Carlos. Dunno why I hadn't suggested it (embarrassed by my ability to only host 8 players...).

Madman

Don't know if anyone noticed, but Warhawk is around 1800 players away from 1 million on the leaderboards. Pretty fucking sweet. It seemed like it would never get above 500k when I got it. I still remember downloading it at midnight when it came out. Still awesome to this day. Bring on Starhawk!

slider

We probably need someone to host and then whoever can make it... great. As with organising an evening out the talking takes forever and contributes very little! If it does happen I'm hoping the regulars (and non regulars too) from this thread can make it...

Madman... where do you sit in that 1 million? : )

Madman

slider said:
Madman... where do you sit in that 1 million? : )
Pretty low. Only in the top 200k. Stopped playing ranked after my stats were lost a few months into playing(was a Captain or something at the time). Decided at that point to keep a lower rank to be able to get into more player hosted games. Been playing since day 1 of the beta(in between the freezing, that is). :)

carlos

Just a reminder to those who occasionally browse the thread, this Saturday, at around 5 or 6 pm EST, we will try to play a few rounds on my lousy 8 player server, probably called #GAF or !GAF to get near the top of the server list, alphabetically.

The server will be ranked, but to get a ranked game going, we'll have to fill up the room, so I anticipate a lot of pregame time....10 map rotation, 5-7 from the original game, and after those, a few maps from the expansions.

A few days back I remembered why I didn't host more often, if memory serves me correctly, last time we tried this over a year back I was having lots of network disconnects and some people couldn't connect to me either.

Worst case scenario, we'll find an empty official server and invade it, so I still hope to see many of you then; and remember to charge your headsets!

I'll post again on Saturday near game time with any further details

edit: I didn't mean to say that only those with headsets can join; the more the merrier!

TheSeks

Goodluck with that, dude. I don't have a headset so I won't be joining.

TheSeks

I could test my connection and host a dedicated if you guys need more than 12...

Though I don't know if I can host more than 12. :lol

Top Bottom