• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

carlos

Well it seems like only Frankman is online at the moment, so I'm joining his game at the moment;

The !GAF server will go up in about 30 minutes at 5:45 est; hope to see some of you there

if for some reason my network and server dies, Lets try to get together on the (ALL-Mix-Md1) blue US server; its empty at the moment and has a good rotation of maps and modes.

carlos

Nice warm up there, frank and tntnnbln;

SERVER IS UP, I tried to include lots of APC use for tntnnbln's sake ;)

If an hour goes by from now and we can't get a full game started, I'll take it down and join whatever server the gaf people are in; Just wanted to try something more intimate than the 32 player rooms

Ok guys we need more people only 6 so far! We're close!

OK all you you guys goto CTF-LG3, only 19 people and it's destroyed capital so not many people will join. Sync up and join same team.

slider

Can be such good fun, even with limited numbers, if you "know" the others. A chap from my friends list joined in too on the last round.

Unfortunately I had to bail - gotto try on my fancy dress for a thing kicking off in an hour or so.

Thanks for playing everyone and thanks to carlos for hosting. Good fun.

One final point... I've misplaced my headset... :|

carlos

Well guys even though it was a good try, we just quite didn't make it :(

Thanks to all who showed up, though; it was still a good time :)

like frankman said, if anyone wants to play, we're at the server he mentioned

carlos

And there goes my internet near the end of that round in destroyed capitol; good games with [gaf] frankman, slider, tntnnbltn,phantast2k and everyone else who I can't remember at the moment.

I'm calling it a night after 4 hours, definitely not my best playing after a few weeks of rest....

carlos said:
And there goes my internet near the end of that round in destroyed capitol;
Thank God your internet broke down. My team turned your team's 2:0 lead into a tie with me ranking first :)
Good games indeed.

(I'm ElStupido btw.)

carlos

Phantast2k said:
Thank God your internet broke down. My team turned your team's 2:0 lead into a tie with me ranking first :)
Good games indeed.

(I'm ElStupido btw.)

Heh, no way I was going to let your team score twice in four minutes; I had conceded that first score, but I had air and land mines placed everywhere as well as a tow waiting for whoever tried to get the flag. All those evaporated when I got evicted from the game.

Oh and btw, sorry to everyone for being a bit spammy today with the tow's...like I said, I wasn't really playing like myself.

Phantasm, there was a WTF moment where I towed you and parked to take the base, suddenly you spawn, take my plane, and tow me with the tow that I had just used! LOL

team vernia, I'd be up for a couple of games sunday night, don't know about everyone else....it would probably be easier to find and join a medium sized game server and try to switch and get on the same team

Tntnnbltn

carlos said:
Oh and btw, sorry to everyone for being a bit spammy today with the tow's...like I said, I wasn't really playing like myself.
You TOW'd mah invisible plane. In mid-air.

(I actually saw you approaching and went into flight mode, but it was too late)

carlos said:
Phantasm, there was a WTF moment where I towed you and parked to take the base, suddenly you spawn, take my plane, and tow me with the tow that I had just used! LOL
Yeah, I don't know what happened there. Lots of other weird things happened actually (maybe because I'm not used to the high ping) like slow mines where I would run into a mine and walk away from it without dying. But that was definitely very weird.
I also realized that I'm pretty bad 1vs1. The only way I can "shine" is when I play in a large team. This is probably because I play on official servers 99% of the time :/
While playing yesterday I advanced from 1st Lieutenant to Commander. I don't think I'll go further than that.

I'll try to join next weekend. But everything past 4-5 p.m. EST means no headset for me :(

Tntnnbltn

When we played yesterday there was a great moment when Frankman was hiding in the mines building on Eucadia Northern Bridges. I killed him by shooting his own mine as he ran past. It was awesome.

This is the part where he gets all defensive and asks why I don't bring up all the times he killed me.

Today I also had an awesome moment where I killed someone with a sniper-rifle non-scoped, medium distance away. I was just shooting randomly left and right and next thing they were dead. :lol

slider

Tntnnbltn said:
This is the part where he gets all defensive and asks why I don't bring up all the times he killed me.

:lol

Didn't manage any today (maybe later though!) but my new wireless router is doing it's job so I can game online again and finish DL'ing PSP Motorstorm and GT. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Madman said:
In case anyone in here hasn't noticed, Warhawk hit 1 million on the leaderboards.

But how many of those are still active? *eyebrow raise*

Interesting to see, though.

Tntnnbltn said:
When we played yesterday there was a great moment when Frankman was hiding in the mines building on Eucadia Northern Bridges. I killed him by shooting his own mine as he ran past. It was awesome.

Today I also had an awesome moment where I killed someone with a sniper-rifle non-scoped, medium distance away. I was just shooting randomly left and right and next thing they were dead. :lol
You bragging sonofabitch:

2jg78r4.gif

rc213

Is there something wrong with in-game buddies list?

There a few people on my friends list who don't show up there at all even they are definitely in-game at the time I check.

JardeL

The Frankman I think we were on the same team last night. If I remember correct our team captured the flag at last second on Badlands , it was amazing. :D GG.

slider

I hadn't played in a week or so - holiday and work stuff - and returned earlier today. I was shit! Just about made the top 10 in the 5 or so Zones games I played.

I'm seriously tempted to delete WH from my PS3. It'll give other games a chance.

Tntnnbltn

slider said:
I hadn't played in a week or so - holiday and work stuff - and returned earlier today. I was shit! Just about made the top 10 in the 5 or so Zones games I played.

I'm seriously tempted to delete WH from my PS3. It'll give other games a chance.
There's your problem right there.

Tntnnbltn

Three Warhawk freezes in the last two days, all at crucial moments.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Right now I'm staring at a screen of me about to get in a plane which I had to climb over a fence and up a small hill to reach. Next to the plane is [WoW!]sonictheheghog, who usually plays in (ALL)CTF as an APC driver. From his vantage spot he can view the flag, which has half fallen off a cliff (as happens on Eucadia CTF). He recently used binoculars to take out the flag carrier and a nearby plane who was trying to lift the flag carrier back onto the bridge.

Immediately above us, although off of screen, is a blue plane -- potentially one of the victims of the airstrike coming back for a vengence. My race to get [WoW!]sonictheheghog's plane becomes more frantic as I prepare for the weapons about to be unleashed from above. I am unable to see [WoW!]sonictheheghog from my current position; he is blocked by the body of the plane. I do not know if he even anticipates the upcoming onslaught, his gaze probably fixed solely on the flag.

I precariously run along the edge of the cliff side. To my right, a massive fall that would instantly (give or take 280ms) kill me. To my left is the back of the plane -- that annoying part of it where you can't get in by pressing square. I run up the rim of the cliff, knowing full well that certain death is both above and below me unless I can work my way to the front of the plane.

Finally, I get to the right wing of the plane and press square, waiting to the sound of jet engines and inevitable rapture.......

-- Frozen --

slider

^^ It's been very weird. I haven't even been able to boot it up the last few attempts. I got on for a bit yesterday - your CTF game was full - but it then froze a short while later and I went back to MW2.

I really get the feeling it's on it's last legs. It makes me sad.

carlos

slider said:
^^ It's been very weird. I haven't even been able to boot it up the last few attempts. I got on for a bit yesterday - your CTF game was full - but it then froze a short while later and I went back to MW2.

If the freezing happens as tntnnbltn described (while getting into a vehicle), then its most likely a sign of a network related error causing the freeze, nothing to worry about for your PS3.

If the freezes start occuring at random times for no particular reason, start backing up your saves....I learned this the hard way....

Btw, to all of you on my friends list, I'll be back online soon hopefully, I'm waiting for the thermal compound and courage before trying to fix up ye olde ylod launch ps3.....I've been so depressed about this loss that I haven't even booted up my second ps3 since the first died :(

Madman

slider said:

Warhawk has survived Halo 3, Gears 2, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, BF 1943, CoD4, CoDMW2, etc. The only thing that will finish off Warhawk (maybe) is Starhawk.

slider

carlos said:
If the freezing happens as tntnnbltn described (while getting into a vehicle), then its most likely a sign of a network related error causing the freeze, nothing to worry about for your PS3.

If the freezes start occuring at random times for no particular reason, start backing up your saves....I learned this the hard way....

Ahh sorry man... I meant Warhawk was on it's last legs... not my PS3. That sucker is still going strong (hoowah).

Madman said:
Warhawk has survived Halo 3, Gears 2, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, BF 1943, CoD4, CoDMW2, etc. The only thing that will finish off Warhawk (maybe) is Starhawk.

Good point! The one out of that list that annoys me most is BF1943. That's a complete WH mirror experience.

Go Warhawk.

borsdy

Banned
slider said:
The one out of that list that annoys me most is BF1943. That's a complete WH mirror experience.
Errrr, Battlefield been on PC for years. I still think Warhawk is the best online console game, thou!

see5harp

rc213 said:
Is there something wrong with in-game buddies list?

There a few people on my friends list who don't show up there at all even they are definitely in-game at the time I check.

If you have more than 50 people online, Warhawk's broke ass in game last gen friendslist doesn't display everyone.

rc213

see5harp said:
If you have more than 50 people online, Warhawk's broke ass in game last gen friendslist doesn't display everyone.

No wonder I can't see frank on there, Just found out GTA IV has the same issue so I can't play with my buddies there either. =c

slider

borsdy said:
Errrr, Battlefield been on PC for years. I still think Warhawk is the best online console game, thou!

Haha, yeah I know. I didn't make my point very well... which was as a console release it didn't provide me with anything that WH didn't do already and better.

Cheers.

see5harp

I'm sick of people saying this game is anything but a very good online game. Technical issues like the friendlist issue, no invites, and abysmal voice chat to me sorta hamper the fun for me. When I'm in a warhawk or vehicle I have no issues with this game. It's entirely satisfying to hover and take a group of foot soldiers. The problem I have is when you get out. It has some of the worst aiming and shooting mechanics on foot. Am I crazy?

borsdy

Banned
Those are very legitimate things to be concerned about, especially the aiming and shitty voice chat. You just learn to deal with it, I guess D:

User 406

Banned
see5harp said:
I'm sick of people saying this game is anything but a very good online game. Technical issues like the friendlist issue, no invites, and abysmal voice chat to me sorta hamper the fun for me. When I'm in a warhawk or vehicle I have no issues with this game. It's entirely satisfying to hover and take a group of foot soldiers. The problem I have is when you get out. It has some of the worst aiming and shooting mechanics on foot. Am I crazy?

Yeah, the friends list does blow, but I've never had a problem with the voice chat (after the dropout problem was fixed). What are the complaints about voice chat now?

As for the mechanics, it's funny, if it weren't for the warhawks themselves, I'd have no interest in the game. But I still have enormous fun with the ground combat, even though when it comes to shooters, I'm pretty militant about not just not having auto-aim, but requiring mouse support. So for a long time I was a bit baffled at myself for this inconsistency.

This post by pukelman on the official Warhawk forums helped crystalize things for me:

pukelman said:
Auto-aim has the important functio of equalizing ability among players so that what matters is STRATEGY. Nobody seems to grasp this.

When you have auto-aim the guy who wins is the guy who a.) fires first or b.) is part of a team who are working together.

One of the reasons Warhawk attracts a more intelligent sort of player (seriously) is that it's not just about who has the twitchiest trigger finger. You have to think to win. You can compensate for bad dexterity by using your mind. You can, frankly, suck at everything and still be a good player.

Auto-aim is one of the reasons I love Warhawk.

The reason I'll only play FPSes with a mouse is because the mechanic of aiming is the most important core mechanic to me. But in Warhawk, the variety of tactics far overshadows this, and the real pleasure of the game is in a different area. In short, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Now I don't completely agree that Warhawk does away with twitch skill, but the strong auto-aim on certain weapons does indeed help equalize things. And the precision aiming monsters out there still get some powerful weapons in the sniper rifle and rocket launcher. So overall there's pretty much something for everyone to use effectively.

In much the same way I require complex physics in my closed circuit racers, but can enjoy much more arcadey physics in more open world car based games, Warhawk manages to find a good balance between the simplification of the nuts and bolts of gameplay mechanics and the increase in higher levels of tactics and situational possibilities.

Top Bottom