• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Tntnnbltn said:
Every time I play him I'm torn between wanting to be on the other team to kill him, or be on the same team to listen to his pathetic raging. :lol

He's a coward. I hate people who use excessive stealth, or hop out of the plane and hop back in after you've given mercy. We were teammates when I played for NmE and he was terrible then. I love chasing him down in a hawk and killing him only to hear him spazz out when the game is done.

Gaf, show me your best pilots please! When can we get a game set up?

carlos

soundahfekz said:
Gaf, show me your best pilots please! When can we get a game set up?

I'd love to get back in the game, but I've hardly played anything on ps3 since october when I got the YLOD , and then my second ps3 died completely for no reason :/

I'll try to fix the ylod in the next few days...I really want to avoid having to buy a slim if possible.

If all goes well, I hope to play with you guys again :)

carlos said:
I'd love to get back in the game, but I've hardly played anything on ps3 since october when I got the YLOD , and then my second ps3 died completely for no reason :/

I'll try to fix the ylod in the next few days...I really want to avoid having to buy a slim if possible.

If all goes well, I hope to play with you guys again :)

my 60gb has ylod too, what fix are you using?

carlos

the most common one, I guess, the gilksy fix.

open the ps3, flux, heat gun to the cpu/gpu/new thermal compound/close/pray

last time I did it, it only worked for a couple of days, but at least I managed to back up my saves.

I did the fix again, but am terrified to power on the ps3 X)

EDIT: turned it on, seems to be working okay....now it's just a matter of praying to Jobu, like the Cuban in Major League

EDIT#2: 9 days after that last comment, it died again; I had been using it for no more than an hour or two a day on WH or COD4.
Both times that it has been reflowed, it has only been good for around 10 hours :/

SIGH.....

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So guys, help me feel better here...

Having an 0.28 KDR in your first week or so of playing is fairly normal, right? :lol

Getting better though! Up to Sergeant now.

Seraphis Cain said:

Having an 0.28 KDR in your first week or so of playing is fairly normal, right? :lol

... how many milligrams of medication daily do you take? 1000?

User 406

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:

You're fine. The game has been out for nearly three years, and there's a lot of experienced players that are pounding on you right now, but if you persist, you'll become one of them.

I wouldn't worry too much about KDR anyway, outside of team deathmatch games it's not really relevant to how effective you are as a team player. There's no shame in dying in Warhawk. Just take bases and watch your map to be aware of things that need to be done and you'll be able to help your team win. As you get better at killing, you'll also become better at helping achieve objectives.

Sea Manky said:
You're fine. The game has been out for nearly three years, and there's a lot of experienced players that are pounding on you right now, but if you persist, you'll become one of them.

I wouldn't worry too much about KDR anyway, outside of team deathmatch games it's not really relevant to how effective you are as a team player. There's no shame in dying in Warhawk. Just take bases and watch your map to be aware of things that need to be done and you'll be able to help your team win. As you get better at killing, you'll also become better at helping achieve objectives.

I like how when I seen you in warhawk you said you'd switch to the other team for a challenge, then stayed on the highly stacked team to whore more points. I hope that isn't how the rest of the GAF clan operates.

carlos

soundahfekz said:
I like how when I seen you in warhawk you said you'd switch to the other team for a challenge, then stayed on the highly stacked team to whore more points. I hope that isn't how the rest of the GAF clan operates.

Shots fired!

lol, I usually switch only in there's a difference in the amount of players 12-8 or something like that, but not too often, since I'm usually on the short end of that stick.

there's a reason that my win/lose is 1.00 or 1.01, since I'd say that I have the worst luck when spawning on a team full of idiots.

I can't imagine how many years warhawk has taken off my life out of pure frustration with teammates; in fact I've just started getting my first gray hairs and I suspect WH is a big reason why.....but I still wouldn't change a thing :)

Oh, and Seraphis Cain, don't worry about the KDR, it took me about a month to get it to 1.00 and that was when nearly everyone was on an even skill level, just follow sea manky's advice on that.

User 406

Banned
soundahfekz said:

When did I say that? For a good while now my policy has been to stick with the team I start with, win or lose. Here's a post of my thoughts on the matter: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Warhawk-PS3/Switching-to-help/m-p/44919503#M1105154

Sorry if that bothers you.

carlos said:
the most common one, I guess, the gilksy fix.

open the ps3, flux, heat gun to the cpu/gpu/new thermal compound/close/pray

last time I did it, it only worked for a couple of days, but at least I managed to back up my saves.

I did the fix again, but am terrified to power on the ps3 X)

EDIT: turned it on, seems to be working okay....now it's just a matter of praying to Jobu, like the Cuban in Major League

EDIT#2: 9 days after that last comment, it died again; I had been using it for no more than an hour or two a day on WH or COD4.
Both times that it has been reflowed, it has only been good for around 10 hours :/

SIGH.....

Just sell it on ebay. Get a slim.

carlos

Team Vernia said:
Just sell it on ebay. Get a slim.

Yeah, I've been scouring the local classifieds trying to get a good deal, (and I've found a few), but for some reason I never get the deal done.

I did, however temporarily swap my hardly used 360 for his hardly used 160gb ps3, so it looks like im going to be online fairly frequently again.

I must comment on how silent his ps3 is compared to both my original 60gb's, it also outputs less hot air....sucks being an early adopter.

And it sucks having to redownload all my stuff......easily 10 GB's, and that only some of the stuff; on a 2Mb connection....yeah, its going to take a while :(

Sea Manky said:
When did I say that? For a good while now my policy has been to stick with the team I start with, win or lose. Here's a post of my thoughts on the matter: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Warhawk-PS3/Switching-to-help/m-p/44919503#M1105154

Sorry if that bothers you.

We were on Eucadia

me: This team is stacked, blue team has no pilots, I think I'm gonna switch

you: Ok I'll switch with you

I switch to the other team which were outnumbered, you stay on the team full of good players and "baserape" the hell out of us. 1 good pilot vs 3-4 good ones and 3 other cowardly but bold when not targeted pilots is no competition.

It's all good though

User 406

Banned
soundahfekz said:
We were on Eucadia

me: This team is stacked, blue team has no pilots, I think I'm gonna switch

you: Ok I'll switch with you

I switch to the other team which were outnumbered, you stay on the team full of good players and "baserape" the hell out of us. 1 good pilot vs 3-4 good ones and 3 other cowardly but bold when not targeted pilots is no competition.

It's all good though

Okay, I know I didn't say that, perhaps you misheard something else I said or thought I was talking when it was actually someone else? Seriously, I wouldn't say I'm going to switch and then not switch. I haven't switched teams for maybe a year now.

I understand your frustration if that's what you thought I said, but I promise I really wouldn't dick you around like that.

Sea Manky said:
Okay, I know I didn't say that, perhaps you misheard something else I said or thought I was talking when it was actually someone else? Seriously, I wouldn't say I'm going to switch and then not switch. I haven't switched teams for maybe a year now.

I understand your frustration if that's what you thought I said, but I promise I really wouldn't dick you around like that.

It's possible I misheard or someone else was talking while your mic was on, I won't lie I was a little miffed after switched to that horrible team!

User 406

Banned
soundahfekz said:
It's possible I misheard or someone else was talking while your mic was on, I won't lie I was a little miffed after switched to that horrible team!

Yeah, I totally understand that. I found that it's a lot less rage inducing when I just start off with a bad team as opposed to joining one in progress.

So, friends?

Sea Manky said:
YOU shut up and go take back base 5.
Don't tell me about Base 5, I'm the only one there fighting for it... Great, I got friggin' towed by a plane and his 3 buddies, REALLY? GUY NEEDED A TOW TO OFF ME WITH THREE OF YOUR BUDDIES AROUND? Fack!!

slider

Such a shame to see this thread slip off the first page!

I take it no one really uses the clan anymore? If you do play it's with friends? I've had a couple of other clan requests but thought I should see if anyone is still up for some clan action before bailing.

It'd be a final swansong for my sweet prince... Warhawk. (I fully expect news on Starhawk at E3.)

fixuis

slider said:

I take it no one really uses the clan anymore? If you do play it's with friends? I've had a couple of other clan requests but thought I should see if anyone is still up for some clan action before bailing.

It'd be a final swansong for my sweet prince... Warhawk. (I fully expect news on Starhawk at E3.)

I'm in! How do I get a clan invite?

slider said:

I'm busy with the MLB 10 league but I'm down for action. Should be back on in a week.

slider

fixuis said:

Proper reply incoming tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know that folk are keen!

Frankman, I've started much more CTF these days and I can finally see what all the fuss was about. Tntnnbltn (sic) was right all along - it is better than Zones...

GodofWine

After a long layoff from Warhawk (6mos?) and a decent layoff from gaming (2 mos), I popped in MW2, and was like "I can't believe people play this crack fest", then I put in Warhawk...within seconds of spawning, someone drove a jeep up to me, beeped, I hop in...and it was like being home.

I was really happy to see 170 servers up too...Long live the hawk!

(I'll take friend invites from any active W'ers, PSN - TheGodofWine)

slider

dorkimoe said:
ranking up in this game is so ridiculous :(

And yet... rewarding!

fixuis said:

Sea_Manky is the clan leader. Whizz him a PM. To be honest though, haven't seen him online much (that might be more to do with my lack of play recently though). But I think he's posted further up the page...

I do honestly think that the state the game is in now doesn't really necessitate playing with clans or friends - the WH population seem to be that evolved (as GodofWine notes!).

GodofWine said:
After a long layoff from Warhawk (6mos?) and a decent layoff from gaming (2 mos), I popped in MW2, and was like "I can't believe people play this crack fest", then I put in Warhawk...within seconds of spawning, someone drove a jeep up to me, beeped, I hop in...and it was like being home.

I was really happy to see 170 servers up too...Long live the hawk!

(I'll take friend invites from any active W'ers, PSN - TheGodofWine)

I'll shoot you an invite, i play almost every day for a couple hours

DoomGyver

played with frank and Tmnbnndnandsfkansdf or however you spell your name. It was fun even though I got my ass kicked (12-24).

Don't hate, but I think the tanks would be much more fun if the warhawks were not capable of hovering and instead attacked the ground by flying sweeps. They just keep ganging up on me and I'm dead.

Tntnnbltn

Had an awesome match on Vaporfield Glacier. 32 kills, 8 deaths on BM CTF. 28 of those kills were using APC only.

Edit: It was a close match, too. Both sides were relatively equal, and the game ended 1-0. The only score happened in the last 4 minutes. I carried it all the way to the stairs before being taken out by a mine.

User 406

Banned
Last night I had a good time messing with this teamkiller named bakedziti. It was in one of the blue CTF servers, so FF was off, but this guy was using the bug where if you get out of your warhawk before your weapon hits, you can damage your teammates. He got me first inches before scoring the flag with the cluster bomb, then grabbed it and scored it himself. For the next two flag caps, I was able to foil him doing it to the carriers by getting beneath him with my warhawk and blocking his bomblets.

At that point my team seemed to have the game well in hand, so I kept snagging the cluster bomb pickups before he could and dropped them right in front of his face. When he finally got one, he tried to teamkill me again as I was respawning. When that failed, he jumped in a jeep and repeatedly tried to ambient warfare me while I mocked him and did my best matador impression. It was all pretty funny. :p

fixuis

Sea Manky said:
Last night I had a good time messing with this teamkiller named bakedziti. It was in one of the blue CTF servers, so FF was off, but this guy was using the bug where if you get out of your warhawk before your weapon hits, you can damage your teammates. He got me first inches before scoring the flag with the cluster bomb, then grabbed it and scored it himself. For the next two flag caps, I was able to foil him doing it to the carriers by getting beneath him with my warhawk and blocking his bomblets.

At that point my team seemed to have the game well in hand, so I kept snagging the cluster bomb pickups before he could and dropped them right in front of his face. When he finally got one, he tried to teamkill me again as I was respawning. When that failed, he jumped in a jeep and repeatedly tried to ambient warfare me while I mocked him and did my best matador impression. It was all pretty funny. :p

Awesome. Hate these fuckers who ruin the game. Can you send me a clan invite?

slider

Sea Manky said:

Haha, awesome.

Every time I see one of the clan in CTF the server is always full. Gah...

BTW folks, how often are you seeing people using glitches/cheats? I'm seeing the fly backwards one more and more recently...

Tntnnbltn

Warheads!

Due to the overwhelming response to Spring’s Warhawk Capture the Flag Tournament we have put together an awesome deal to get you ready for another war! Get ready to claim the top spot in the Fallen Star Expansion Pack tournament from July 1st – July 5th.

To help get you into the game from June 22nd to July 6th you can purchase Warhawk Fallen Star on the PS STORE for just €1.99/£1.59 (original price: € 5.99/£4.79).

Stay tuned for prize and tourney details on the PlayStation.Blog

Feorax

Been thinking about getting back into this game, still got my blu-ray copy from 2007 around somewhere?

Is the community still strong enough or should I just wait for the inevitable starhawk announcement?

Tntnnbltn

slider said:
Your ping or someone else's? I've been struggling to find decent servers recently but they're still out there.
My ping.

Awesome things that happen when you live in Australia:
  • You press Square and have to wait half a second to find out if you got in the vehicle
  • After half a second when you're still standing next to the vehicle looking like an idiot, you press Square again to actually get in
  • It turns out when you pressed Square the first time you did get in, and the second Square got you back out. Unfortunately this happens half a second after you've already been flying, so you pop out of the plane in mid-air and get thrown a few hundred metres away. The plane itself never moved (according to the game) so you have to run all the way back to get it again.
  • You get hit by missles that you didn't get lock alerts for.
  • You get a missle lock alert and shake it, then level off. Half a second later you blow up because apparantly you hadn't shaken it at all
  • Sometimes you just blow up or die and there's no little thing in the top left saying who killed you or with what
  • You drop biofields or epod shields and they just go whoosh through the earth and disappear. Of course then you can't just drop another one because you have to wait for cool-off.
  • Sometimes you receive information about everyone else's movements, but they don't receive information about yours. I've been driving or flying across the map, when suddenly it's like I'm invisible to everyone. Can't pick up weapons, can't shoot anyone, can't take flags. One time I was flag carrying in an APC across Destroyed Capitol. Half way back to base, the flag carrier jumps out. I'm like wtf, so get out of the APC to cancel the boost charge I was about to do. When I get out of the vehicle I'm all the way back where I picked them up. I hadn't actually moved at all during the last 15 seconds. That was one of the five times this happened over the weekend. Other times I've been killed by flamethrowers or wrenches that are half a map away.

Oh, and my favourite example of how stupid my ping is: I was driving an APC on Vaporfield Glacier and was currently in the middle of nowhere. Far away I saw a plane flying with invisibility, and saw it go to hover mode. Whenever a plane is hovering with invisibility, you know it's bad. I dropped the shield right away. After I dropped the shield, they went out of hover mode and used a TOW. I was like 'woohoo -- they wasted their TOW'. And then I watched the TOW fly towards me, go through the side of the shield, and blow me up.

carlos

nice...

a few things that usually bug me (175ish ping):

hitting a warhawk with a tank and it not taking damage (if the warhawk is circling, it cant be hit; a hit a guy 3 times while he was doing so, and nothing happened). If the warhawk is still or coming at you in a line, then yes, its possible to hit

same thing with having to wait to see if you got into the vehicle, but not as bad as you described. Same with occasionally blowing up with no death message

knife and flamethrower are the most laggy ground weapons, I cant count how many times I've emptied a flamethrower/stabbed someone and not gotten a kill, yet a flamethrower kills me instantly (granades also,, to some extent)

dropping a TOW on a moving vehicle and having it continue unscathed; I have to drop it only by guessing where he's going and blowing it up a few feet in front

and finally but most annoying for me as a pilot is the people who can break homing missle locks (yellow missle) even when I shoved it right up his tailpipe and see it hit; I swear those crazy spinning people/ backward flyers drive me nuts. even when I know I'm about to get hit and start evasive action before its launched, the missle warning stops, and then a few seconds later I get the damage taken from my health bar.

Tntnnbltn

Just got killed 3 times in a row by an invisible APC on Destroyed Capitol. :( Oh, and the game froze mid-game.

It (game freezing) has been happening a lot to me over the last few days, and this isn't even playing Eucadia. Last night it froze on Vaporfield Glacier, so I went and cooled down for 15 minutes. Rebooted to play the next map (Badlands) and it froze again mid-game.

fixuis

LovingSteam said:
Can someone send me a GAF clan invite?

Theologyman

You're flat out of luck. I've been told the clan leader is sea manky. Sent him messages on psn, even pms here's and posted in this thread but to no avail. Have been trying for months. Seems like we need a new clan leader.

fixuis said:
You're flat out of luck. I've been told the clan leader is sea manky. Sent him messages on psn, even pms here's and posted in this thread but to no avail. Have been trying for months. Seems like we need a new clan leader.

Crap. Thanks for the info though.

Eccocid

After travelling for 8 months when i get back to hoe first thing i did was fire up my ps3 and play some Warhawk! I love this game a lot!

Top Bottom