• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Crisis said:
I love that! You know what would be cool? (But probably impossible...) If you could access that manual from XMB like with old PS games.

It's starting to become standard in PSN games...Blast Factor: Advanced Research and Pirotyama both have online manuals also.

Crisis

Banned
chubigans said:
It's starting to become standard in PSN games...Blast Factor: Advanced Research and Pirotyama both have online manuals also.

I'm glad it's becoming a standard but I don't own any of those titles.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just think: if we had Home right now, we'd all be partying at Wollan's house, playin pool and watching movies on his TV until midnight. That would be like a virtual launch party. :D

PAYBACKill

chubigans said:
Just think: if we had Home right now, we'd all be partying at Wollan's house, playin pool and watching movies on his TV until midnight. That would be like a virtual launch party. :D

haha...yeah actually that sounds fun. fifteen of my clan mates are all basically sitting around till midnight for the warhawk download and rainbow six just isn't cutting it.

Greg

Awww, hell yeah! Is it really coming out at 12:01 EST?

Looks like my Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule paid off - although waking up at 6 sure kicked my ass today. :lol

spwolf

Defuser said:
Not bad....a 8.5 for a Multiplayer only.

It feels like half a game, but it costs more than half the retail price of a PS3 title, and it's hard to ignore that. But you're paying $40 for a game that should provide dozens -- perhaps even hundreds -- of hours of frantic, addictive, online-shooter fun. That's more than a lot of games offer.

It's just not quite $40 worth.

interesting... so hundreds of hours is not $40 worth

:lol

Vyse The Legend said:
I wonder what Sony is doing to stop the sharing of Warhawk, if anything. I can't imagine they'd allow it, or want to.

So the developers of Warhawk are somehow more important to them than the developers of Calling All Cars, Gripshift, etc? That's a great message to send. If you develop a 'little' game, we want your game sales to be shared, but if you develop a 'big' game, you are more special?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
So the developers of Warhawk are somehow more important to them than the developers of Calling All Cars, Gripshift, etc? That's a great message to send. If you develop a 'little' game, we want your game sales to be shared, but if you develop a 'big' game, you are more special?

The cost of the product every time someone "shares" Warhawk is a lot greater.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Why do the 1UP guys keep saying that enabling motion control for the Warhawks enables it for everything else? In the beta it wasn't that way.

The one guy who has the final version says that it has been changed since the beta. Seems strange.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
"Sharp graphics? Check. Smooth framerate? Oh yeah, check. Low latency? Big check: I have yet to encounter one single moment of lag. Easy-to-use online interface and solid community support? Check and check." :D :D :D :D :D :D

Greg

Pretty well-written review.

I know I'm contradicting myself because I just said a few posts up "fuck review scores", but taking off for not including a single-player mode is absolutely ridiculous to me, as is calling the title not worthy of the 40 dollar price tag.

Score aside, if a game is playable for a hundred hours online (as mentioned in the review), why would 40 dollars not be worthy when single-player only titles with a tenth of the playability are worth 60?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Greg said:
Pretty well-written review.

I know I'm contradicting myself because I just said a few posts up "fuck review scores", but taking off for not including a single-player mode is absolutely ridiculous to me, as is calling the title not worthy of the 40 dollar price tag.

Score aside, if a game is playable for a hundred hours online (as mentioned in the review), why would 40 dollars not be worthy when single-player only titles with a tenth of the playability are worth 60?

Never understood that myself. As a comparison, I probably spent like 5 minutes on any SOCOM single player game, and 100+ hours online with it.

JB1981

TONX said:
"Sharp graphics? Check. Smooth framerate? Oh yeah, check. Low latency? Big check: I have yet to encounter one single moment of lag. Easy-to-use online interface and solid community support? Check and check." :D :D :D :D :D :D
AWESOME then they've definitely improved the beta code

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Valkyr Junkie said:
Why do the 1UP guys keep saying that enabling motion control for the Warhawks enables it for everything else? In the beta it wasn't that way.

It was that way in the beta. When they updated the beta to 1.13 they changed the way enabling motion controls worked (enabling it enabled it for everything). There was a huge bitchfest at the beta boards when they did this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Killthee said:
It was that way in the beta. When they updated the beta to 1.13 they changed the way enabling motion controls worked (enabling it enabled it for everything). There was a huge bitchfest at the beta boards when they did this.

I can't believe they never fixed it. Doel said it'll be patched; anyone else know anything?

FightyF

Banned
spwolf said:
interesting... so hundreds of hours is not $40 worth

:lol

Well, I wouldn't play $40 for Bomberman Live, even though it offers hundreds of hours of fun online gameplay.

But I don't see how they could come to the conclusion that Warhawk isn't worth that much. Can they point to any other game with the same sort of scope, vehicles, solid network play, that would sell for less?

I didn't think so. If the game cost $60-70, I'd be prone to agreeing with them. But $40 is completely reasonable.

Crisis

Banned
TONX said:
Never understood that myself. As a comparison, I probably spent like 5 minutes on any SOCOM single player game, and 100+ hours online with it.

Agreed. Multiplayer games can totally be worth more than bargain-bin prices.

CSSer

JB1981 said:
i hope the game supports 1080i

Yep, it does. It's natively 720p, but will upscale to 1080i.

Here's what Dylan Jobe said on the Warhawk FAQ comments section at the official PS Blog

Dylan Jobe | August 14th, 2007 at 2:00 pm

There have been a lot of questions about upscalling and overscan…just one of the many issues that we are faced with this generation.

We did take this in account when developing Warhawk though.

Warhawk *does* 1080i upscale for those of you who have HD tvs that fall into the 720p–>480p/i category. We still render 720p, but at least the game scans-out to 1080i so you aren’t forced to play at 480.

With regard to overscan, we tried to address this too. And you too correct, HDTV overscan varies a great deal. So…at the graphics options screen in Warhawk, we give you precise control over all 4 edges of the screen independently so you can position and scale the video output to match your specific display device.

spwolf

FightyF said:
Well, I wouldn't play $40 for Bomberman Live, even though it offers hundreds of hours of fun online gameplay.

But I don't see how they could come to the conclusion that Warhawk isn't worth that much. Can they point to any other game with the same sort of scope, vehicles, solid network play, that would sell for less?

I didn't think so. If the game cost $60-70, I'd be prone to agreeing with them. But $40 is completely reasonable.

sure, but Warhawk is AAA quality title, not some budget game...

It is completly stupid and validates Q3A, BF and many other multiplayer games having single player, useless, missions just to praise the editors. Even if you throw those $20 away because 95% of people who purchase the game, will never play singleplayer and those 5% who did will wonder wtf did they spend 60$ for...

TSAR

i know a few people who were in the beta and all of them say that they're definitely going to buy the game when it comes out - i think that really speaks to the quality of it.

Trout

Banned
ughhhh...I don't have to wake up early either...but it just makes no sense for me to get this tonight. Fucking Wednesday.

Top Bottom