• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

gigapower

I'll have my copy tomorrow, can't wait! How is the sound quality of the included headset? My current BT headset cuts out and is so low in volume its unusable.

Doel

DoctorWho said:
Anyone's bestbuy.ca order shipping? The status just switched to OoS but I ordered it back when it first switched to $39.99. Hopefully it ships by the end of the day so I get it tomorrow.
No, and I'm pretty pissed. It should have shipped yesterday.

I'd go and pick it up at the BestBuy store, but they don't have any info on the stock so I assume it isn't there.

you know, only one crash so far, but I still want them to figure out the issues.

Also, looks like some of the data from servers are taking a while to appear.

Doel said:
No, and I'm pretty pissed. It should have shipped yesterday.

I'd go and pick it up at the BestBuy store, but they don't have any info on the stock so I assume it isn't there.

Actually, it was set to be shipped today.

August 28th. Stores probably will have it late today or tomorrow.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sony dropped the ball here. They should have had the download game and the retail game out on the same day. The retail game should have shipped last week to be on store shelves today. Oh well at least the HEROES dvd set comes out today and I can go and buy it.

neojubei said:
Sony dropped the ball here. They should have had the download game and the retail game out on the same day. The retail game should have shipped last week to be on store shelves today. Oh well at least the HEROES dvd set comes out today and I can go and buy it.

Yeah, I agree. This is going to hurt the retailers somewhat due to people buying it online.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
FightyF said:
As far as crashing is concerned...this may be an elementary question, but did you guys delete the beta before installing the full game from PSN?
I deleted the beta before, but didn't have enough time with the final game last night to say whether crashes are an issue or not. So far, nothing. But that's after a half hour of play.

There was one point last night where I was afraid the game was about the crash, because I thought I encountered one of the telltale signs of an impending crash from the beta - unable to pickup weapons. Then I realized it was just because I had already maxed out the weapons I just ran over. :lol

Doel

neojubei said:
Yup. Pretty stupid.

neojubei

Now will every store have warhawk tomorrow or does EB/Gamestop have the game first before other retail stores? I do not want to have to hear BS about not preordering or having to be denied a copy because I did not preorder.

I don't know about that.

At first I thought it was kind of silly, but when you consider it's an on-line exclusive title - it just lends itself to it. The people that are going to buy it are connected already.

It's only whackjobs and cheapasses like myself that have to wait for the disk. :p

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I agree. This is going to hurt the retailers somewhat due to people buying it online.

uhh isn't that good for sony though? i don't see how they dropped the ball, when they make A LOT more money when somebody downloads it rather than buys it at retail.

neojubei

The Take Out Bandit said:
I don't know about that.

At first I thought it was kind of silly, but when you consider it's an on-line exclusive title - it just lends itself to it. The people that are going to buy it are connected already.

It's only whackjobs and cheapasses like myself that have to wait for the disk. :p

Its cheaper to buy it on PSN than in a retail store. I just want to have the headset with the disc and case, so I'll pay the higher price.

msdstc said:
uhh isn't that good for sony though? i don't see how they dropped the ball, when they make A LOT more money when somebody downloads it rather than buys it at retail.

If retail starts losing money based on Sony selling more online than retail outlets are going to stop ordering as much of Sony's product because they can't move it.

sk3tch

DoctorWho said:
If retail starts losing money based on Sony selling more online than retail outlets are going to stop ordering as much of Sony's product because they can't move it.

Well, that's why they priced the download-only version at $40 instead of anything lower.

Trevelyan

Banned
Ragnarok10 said:
So what are some of the graphical improvements over the beta that you guys have noticed?

The first thing I noticed were the textures. Textures seem to have improved a lot. Haven't really paid attention to anything else because I'm always trying to stay alive and kill people. :lol

sk3tch said:
Well, that's why they priced the download-only version at $40 instead of anything lower.

Yes and the retail version comes with that spiffy little headset as an incentive to keep people going to retail outlets. Consider Warhawk an experiment in how Sony is going to handle this in the future. Everyone will be looking at sales figures closely.

DoctorWho said:

Yes I'm sure they're going to worried about the sales potential of Uncharted and R&C because of that pesky online version. Point being they should have been prepared for this, and I'm sure they are. This is a case by case basis, they're not going to order less Sony games in general because a few of them can be sold as a direct download.

Evlar

Banned
I might get this. I just may not have much time to play right now because of all the other stuff out the past three weeks.

Rice-Eater said:
Yes I'm sure they're going to worried about the sales potential of Uncharted and R&C because of that pesky online version. Point being they should have been prepared for this, and I'm sure they are. This is a case by case basis, they're not going to order less Sony games in general because a few of them can be sold as a direct download.

If it starts happening more and more you can bet your ass they will. Why would they order the same amount of product if they were making less sales due to Sony selling more online. It is common sense for the retailer to start ordering less product. I'm pretty sure the 1upyours podcast had something on just this a few weeks ago.

lunlunqq

FootNinja said:
More people need to join the gaf room. owning tonx is only fun for so long :p

yup! hehe. i played a little while right after i finished downloading it. then lunch was ready and I have to go out after lunch. hopefully tomorrow i can play some more. see you guys online!

spwolf

DoctorWho said:
If it starts happening more and more you can bet your ass they will. Why would they order the same amount of product if they were making less sales due to Sony selling more online. It is common sense for the retailer to start ordering less product. I'm pretty sure the 1upyours podcast had something on just this a few weeks ago.

why should we wait for retail when we can download the game right now? doesnt make any sense...

p.s. no crashes here after 10-15 games

besada

Banned
I just bailed on work to play Warhawk. I should be ashamed. Don't have a headset yet, but let's get it on.

Edit:Wow, I'm ferociously bad in the air. The controls are going to take some getting used to, but so fun. Also I don't see a Gaf server.

spwolf said:
why should we wait for retail when we can download the game right now? doesnt make any sense...

p.s. no crashes here after 10-15 games

Exactly. As a retailer would you want to hear your potential customers saying that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

FightyF

Banned
neojubei said:

From my perspective I think it was a smart move. The download probably provides Sony with a larger profit margin, and so releasing it just slightly before the retail version would coax people to pick it up online.

I'd agree with your perspective if there was a week difference in releases.

Firewire said:
My EB games (Richmond Hill, Canada) just called!

My Warhawk pre-order is in! :D

Everyone check EB games around your location!!!

Oh shit! If my EB has that I might use my gift card to pick it up. :( I don't know if I can wait for the Best Buy one to ship!

spwolf

DoctorWho said:
Exactly. As a retailer would you want to hear your potential customers saying that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

are you arguing for the sake of retailers here or customers? Since Sony is doing right thing for the customer (us).

Wollan

soundahfekz (a NeoGAF applicant waiting in approval hell) just wanted to let you know he will most likely be on at 11am tomorrow (he's signed up for one of the clans). More meat to the grinder.

spwolf said:
are you arguing for the sake of retailers here or customers? Since Sony is doing right thing for the customer (us).

Umm, I'm arguing for nobody and the issue is a lot more complex than that. I'm simply stating that if more products start selling well online that retailers are going to start carrying less product in store which might not necessarily be a good thing for Sony who still want to be making a strong impact on the retail store market.

It is great that Sony is making games available online and taking out the middle man but you'd be crazy to think that it doesn't have implications on the general business model that retailers and publishers have had for years. Things will change and WarHawk is the first console game that is testing those waters.

Doel

Firewire said:
My EB games (Richmond Hill, Canada) just called!

My Warhawk pre-order is in! :D

Everyone check EB games around your location!!!
Does EB price match? I have the catalog where it shows Warhawk for $39.99 at Best Buy

spwolf

DoctorWho said:
Umm, I'm arguing for nobody and the issue is a lot more complex than that. I'm simply stating that if more products start selling well online that retailers are going to start carrying less product in store which might not necessarily be a good thing for Sony who still want to be making a strong impact on the retail store market.

It is great that Sony is making games available online and taking out the middle man but you'd be crazy to think that it doesn't have implications on the general business model that retailers and publishers have had for years. Things will change and WarHawk is the first console game that is testing those waters.

ehm, retailers will cover the demand, not more or less... if more people buy game online, then more money to Sony... Win-Win situation for both Sony and Customer.

Doel

I did. They said they price match for up to $10, and the guy on the phone seemed to think that they were selling Warhawk for $49 (maybe they are?) so he said ya they would price match it.

My assumption is though that they are actually selling it for $59, and he'll drop it down to $49 max.

jda1977

I'm on! This game is cool. Never played in the beta but it looks like the hype was deserved. Need some people to play with. I just sat in a game by myself learning some of the controls :lol

GAFw

PSN id

xXNostradamusXx

Oh God, this game has ruined me. I need to take a nap, been playing in 2.5 hour stretches since 2 AM....

Are we doing a GAFe game tonight? or are we waiting for the retail kiddies :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Duck said:
Question for everyone that already has it: are there any differences gameplay-wise from the beta? What things were tweaked?

The pistol doesn't seem to be the god weapon like it was in the beta. : (

Top Bottom