• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Core407

Banned
sonycowboy said:
There are some seriously good players out there. Perfectly switching between chaff, missles of various kinds, and those damn mines!

In dogfights, I do OK, but I don't stand a chance against some of those folks. Better to stick to the mission based game modes like Zones and CTF, because straight deathmatch against those guys can make it a long game.

But, it's only been 24 hours :lol

Dogfighting is enjoyable but I get so frustrated when the enemy maneuvers out of the way of my missiles. :lol If you want to improve on your skills, start using L2 when performing rolls and spins. I've had some really crazy runs as far as the Warhawks go. 10 kills, 0 death type runs but then there are the games where I can barely pull off a kill. That is usually when I switch up the gameplay to more ground-based combat and only use the Warhawks for transportation. The ground combat is so enjoyable that I wish there was more emphasis to it. It just works really well and it's so enjoyable to unload a full clip on some guy. :D

Probably the funniest/dumbest thing I've done was when there was an oncoming jeep with a gunner shooting at me. I had a rocket launcher equipped at the time and was driving the jeep right towards them. I jumped out a split second too early and I got nailed by the oncoming jeep. :lol

I hope they add in the lockon ability to the rocket launcher onto jeeps. I don't get why you can't lockon to them. It's very difficult to hit 'em with the rocket launcher for the fact that they're so quick. Anyways, awesome game. I'd definitely rate it 9+.

4pwyuec.jpg

Thank you again for your recent purchase at Toysrus.com & Babiesrus.com.

We have received your order XXXXXXXXXXX, and wanted to let you know that there has been an unexpected delay in the shipment of the following items:

Item: 3831888
Description: PS3 WARHAWK
Quantity: 1 @ $39.99
Shipping Method: Standard Ground

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My WOW moment was freaking crazy. It's the 6-spire game on the Destroyed Capitol map and I went directly to the enemy tower (about 6-8 people in there.) So I shoot a burst of electricity in the front of the building to distract everyone, and land in the back. I then pull out my knife and crouch below the window so I can see them, but they can't see me.

One guy with a flame thrower comes out to the Warhawk zone, unaware I was right next to the door, and I knife him in the back. Two other follow, and they both immediately see me and start shooting their rifles at point blank. I take one out with a knife, the other with a grenade. At this point my life is nearly over, so I head inside and knife another guy in the back (keep in mind I'm still crouched), and I grab some mines and litter the area. One guy sees me far away and caps me with a pistol, but not before I get about three other guys with my mines about ten seconds later.

Holy crap, freaking awesome. :lol

_RT_

Just confirmed I'm on the roster and I am picking up my copy with headset tomorrow.
Been missing this since the BETA.

In other news.... I have no idea how I managed to not jump the gun and download this.
So.... tough.....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BudokaiMR2 said:
Oh man I just found out you are invisible to radar with the knife out.

Holy damn I can't wait to try this out when I get home tonight.

Once I was heading into the enemy base on Badlands, then these two enemy tanks appear down the street...I equipped the knife, crouched in some rubble, and they drove right past me.

That knife is all kinds of excellent.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
so since it's not being sold at retail... do the numbers sold on the PS store get released? I'm interested I know a lot of money was wasted in production, I'm interested to see that since it's a digitally distrubuted game, could sony possibly profit?

edit- meant to say since it's not only retail, do we still get the numbers for downloads?

Esperado

PSN: Esperado
GAF: Esperado
Timezone: EST

Haven't had time to fully flesh out the game (Homework), but it seems like it's pretty awesome.

Grayman

CSSer said:
Anyone having problems with stats not updating? My profile hasn't updated at all aside from the first few games.
I've been promoted to airman and got all the easy badgets and ribbons at least twice

icechai

BudokaiMR2 said:
Oh man I just found out you are invisible to radar with the knife out.

Holy damn I can't wait to try this out when I get home tonight.

For infantry, it seems like they are always invisible on Radar unless they fire / lock on a weapon or mount/dismount a vehicle/turret.

CSSer said:
Anyone having problems with stats not updating? My profile hasn't updated at all aside from the first few games.
there is a slight delay. I jumped two ranks today, but they weren't really instantaneous.

dfyb

Banned
how long does it typically take to update your stats? or does it update at regular intervals (hourly perhaps)?

i should be sergeant and i want to mess with my customization stuff :D

Oh what motion sensitivity do most of you play at? The standard 50% seemed a bit too touchy for me, but 40% didn't seem to help much either =/

Grayman

I stopped using motion sensing because it made jeeps and tanks handle much worse than any gain I would get from the warhawk. I left the sensitivity default and was ok with it though. I may have changed the setting below that, i think that is the angle that you hold your controller on?

This is the most fun I've had playing CTF in a shooter in a long time. The rock-paper-scissors gameplay along with the point captures is a perfect fit.

Favorite moment so far was a high speed chase through Eucadia. A really good driving crew managed to get our flag and booked it darn near across the whole map. I got in a jeep with a gunner and two Warhawks overhead gave chase. It was like an episode of COPS but with heavy ordnance and bad aim. Dude zig zagged like crazy and kept dodging rockets before my gunner finally tagged 'em and we got the flag back. :D

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
This is the most fun I've had playing CTF in a shooter in a long time. The rock-paper-scissors gameplay along with the point captures is a perfect fit.

Favorite moment so far was a high speed chase through Eucadia. A really good driving crew managed to get our flag and booked it darn near across the whole map. I got in a jeep with a gunner and two Warhawks overhead gave chase. It was like an episode of COPS but with heavy ordnance and bad aim. Dude zig zagged like crazy and kept dodging rockets before my gunner finally tagged 'em and we got the flag back. :D

:lol Such a great analogy. I've been in CTF games like that, and during those on-the-run moments you're just going "holy shit, this is nuts! There's 4 warhawks behind me, FUCK!" to yourself the entire time. So great.

Trout

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
AT LEAST you can lay claim to the knickname "The Alaskan Assasin". Wait, that one already belongs to Shane Battier. Sorry :(

Shane Battier=biggest douche ever..go Heels.

Chris R

BudokaiMR2 said:
Oh what motion sensitivity do most of you play at? The standard 50% seemed a bit too touchy for me, but 40% didn't seem to help much either =/
off :lol :D

I'm best in a tank/on foot. In the air I get destroyed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
About radar - I think it's based on team vision, as in what each member of your team can currently see. I say this because I was on a map where I noticed one of my team flying a warhawk directly at someone on the opposing team in a tank. As soon as the warhawk passed over and behind the tank, it started to fade off my radar.

Had some serious lag in one player hosted game, but SCEA servers have been rock solid. And no crashes for me, being one of the ones who regularly had the problem in beta, even after they patched it. I haven't changed anything about my network setup either.

I love the new bg and music for the xmb.

rhfb said:
It isn't that bad, getting ~75-100 with my GCI connection.

damn, didn't know there were so many alaskans on GAF :lol

...yeah I have my MIMO router upstairs and my PS3 downstairs....get a good connection as well with GCI....not the godforsaken ACS (>__<)

Yixian

Banned
chubigans said:
I went directly to the enemy tower (about 6-8 people in there.) So I shoot a burst of electricity in the front of the building to distract everyone

Dude you're giving away teh secrets to teh noobs!

Xater

GAFu Announcement!

Tomorrow on August the 30th Warhawk will be released here in good old Europe on PSN.
I guess most of us will get it then because not every bought the US version like me or Chryz.

Make sure you are online on the 30th beetween 19:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT so I can add you to the clan. This will be a mass invite!

If not everyone is added I will repeat this procedure on the weekend and the I think after the retail release too.

If I add enough people maybe we can also get a nice game together.

Grayman

Tideas said:
Gaf west, has the invite went out yet? I think the game is finally coming in tomorrow
Gaf west has started forming. You can't get an invite until you play the game once though. I'm sure that more will be sent out as people get the game.

Ristlager

Does buying the amerikan version have any negativities for europeans? And is there a training mode of some kind. If not I fear that my first time in a warhawk, with motion controll, can lead to catastrophic results :lol

WTFing

Banned
Xater said:
GAFu Announcement!

Tomorrow on August the 30th Warhawk will be released here in good old Europe on PSN.
I guess most of us will get it then because not every bought the US version like me or Chryz.

Make sure you are online on the 30th beetween 19:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT so I can add you to the clan. This will be a mass invite!

If not everyone is added I will repeat this procedure on the weekend and the I think after the retail release too.

If I add enough people maybe we can also get a nice game together.
Count me in :D

Grayman

You know, I don't think i've seen all 25 of the maps this game has, do they only show up in certain modes? I have played on all the environments but seen very few variations. Are zone, CTF, and TDM played in full environments?

Ristlager said:
Does buying the amerikan version have any negativities for europeans? And is there a training mode of some kind. If not I fear that my first time in a warhawk, with motion controll, can lead to catastrophic results :lol
I don't know about any problems for euros. Ask someone if it sets their region right in the filter options.

There is no training mode at all but you can host a server yourself and password lock it.

Xater

Ristlager said:

The only problem is that you can only play with the account you bought the game with. Therefor I am Sergol in Warhawk and not Xater :(

No training mode but I recommend to star an offline game without anyone to try everything out. BTW I guess most people play without motion control, I know that I do...

Xater

Grayman said:
I don't know about any problems for euros. Ask someone if it sets their region right in the filter options.

It seems to get the region right. When I select my region I only get the SCEE servers. There already are a few.

Oh and if anyone has a really good internet connection so he can host a 16+ players game he should PM me before the time I mentioned so we can get a server for GAFu together.

Raist

Banned
Dizzan said:
Here's hoping it's up at midnight tonight for Australia.

The wait is killing me

I wouldn't hope too much =/

AFAIK it'll be released like any store update, so that around 5pm GMT, thursday. Would be past midnight tomorrow for you, unless the aussie store is usually updated earlier than that ?

Grayman

Xater said:
It seems to get the region right. When I select my region I only get the SCEE servers. There already are a few.
Yeah for some reason the browser pinged an SCEE one in the middle of SCEA for me. I still got a 200 ping when I actually connected but I wrecked shop in warmup mode.

Grayman

There is a download of images to make a paper model warhawk on warhawk.com now.

There is a link to the manual as well but I have a problem with my adobe reader that i haven't fixed so I can't read it to see whats new from the beta one

Ristlager

Xater said:
The only problem is that you can only play with the account you bought the game with. Therefor I am Sergol in Warhawk and not Xater :(

No training mode but I recommend to star an offline game without anyone to try everything out. BTW I guess most people play without motion control, I know that I do...

Thanks, then i'll wait one more day :(

Xater

I just figured out a nice tactic to get some easy frags.

The scenario: TDM on the city map

Right from the beginning I captured some spawn points to keep the enemy team busy. Then I infiltrated their base just with the knife and went to the roof. Every time one of the enemy gets into one of the Warhaks and starts flying I get into one of those rocket launchers and take them down. After that I get out of the launcher and hide on the roof with the knife equipped.

I easily got most of the frags on the map. :D

tzare

i dunno play online very often, but i think i'd enjoy this game even playing now and then. Would you recommend it for casual online playing? Or is it too much hardcore?

Xater

tzare said:
i dunno play online very often, but i think i'd enjoy this game even playing now and then. Would you recommend it for casual online playing? Or is it too much hardcore?

If you played Battlefield like that and had fun then yes. It is a much faster paced Battlefield when you play zones and then there also is TDM and just dogfights with the warhawks. I doN#t know why you could not have fun with it if you play from time to time.

tzare

thxs for the reply. I've never played Battlefield before (is it a PC game?, i'm not a pc gamer at all).
This game looks very good, seems to have solid gameplay and very fun. However, i'm not very good at shooters, and being a massive multiplayer game, if i only play from time to time i might be a very bad player amongst usual players and not have fun

Top Bottom