• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

In team death match when you go take over flags/bases, sometimes you can't take them over...

Can anyone explain fully how this works? Does each team always have at least one base or something? Or can you not take over the capital on the map?

Xater

tzare said:
thxs for the reply. I've never played Battlefield before (is it a PC game?, i'm not a pc gamer at all).
This game looks very good, seems to have solid gameplay and very fun. However, i'm not very good at shooters, and being a massive multiplayer game, if i only play from time to time i might be a very bad player amongst usual players and not have fun

well there is some autoaim and the flying doesn't feel like a shoote rbut more like Crimson Skies on Speed. If you are not that good at killing people you can also get alot of points just by supporting your team (defending the flag, kill assists, taking spawn points, using turrents...)

Xater

DemDereNads said:
In team death match when you go take over flags/bases, sometimes you can't take them over...

Can anyone explain fully how this works? Does each team always have at least one base or something? Or can you not take over the capital on the map?

Exactly you can't take the teams base, everything else can be captured in TDM.

tzare said:
thxs for the reply. I've never played Battlefield before (is it a PC game?, i'm not a pc gamer at all).
This game looks very good, seems to have solid gameplay and very fun. However, i'm not very good at shooters, and being a massive multiplayer game, if i only play from time to time i might be a very bad player amongst usual players and not have fun

My friend came over and we were playing split screen online... he's not well versed in this type of game, and after about 30 minutes - hour of a local LAN game against each other just to get use to the controls, he was having a damn good time and even was the highest scorer in a couple of games.

Nothing is really so hard in this game that you can't have fun. Flying is kind of a pain in the ass, but even that, you hold L1 until it locks on to an enemy and release... Lot easier than flying in other games IMO.

SamBishop

Banned
Boy, I sure do love the fact that I've spent eight hours playing the game and the stats still haven't fucking updated yet. In fact, it's been twice that amount of time since I started playing. How the fuck a bug like this hasn't been worked out yet is beyond comprehension. All they had to do was make multiplayer work well after scrapping the single player and they still couldn't do that.

Where the shit is the online hub for checking stats? How about some official forums on the SCEA site? How about the game actually reward me for spending the amount of time I have with it? I swear to Christ, if all the time I've put into the game so far is wasted, this game is getting a fucking 5.

SamBishop said:
Boy, I sure do love the fact that I've spent eight hours playing the game and the stats still haven't fucking updated yet. In fact, it's been twice that amount of time since I started playing. How the fuck a bug like this hasn't been worked out yet is beyond comprehension. All they had to do was make multiplayer work well after scrapping the single player and they still couldn't do that.

Where the shit is the online hub for checking stats? How about some official forums on the SCEA site? How about the game actually reward me for spending the amount of time I have with it? I swear to Christ, if all the time I've put into the game so far is wasted, this game is getting a fucking 5.

Check the community page for stats.

Are you playing ranked games?

CSSer

I'm in the same boat too; basically a days worth of stats not included.

Anyone have tips for homing missiles for warhawks? Holding down L1 makes some lockon sequence, but it never follows the enemy, even during close ranges.. Only swarm missiles do.

The game is great fun. I think it may be the first online shooter I may stay with on a console (I'm a PC guy). So how about a clan invite? :)

PSN: Happy_Hedonist
GAF: Harvey Hedonist
Timezone: EST
Preferred: Don't care

Should I be using Pro Flight? I suck horse balls with it checked, it makes things much more difficult.

Xater

CSSer said:
Anyone have tips for homing missiles for warhawks? Holding down L1 makes some lockon sequence, but it never follows the enemy, even during close ranges.. Only swarm missiles do.

You have to wait till the red aquare is really small. The sound also changes so that should be an indicator too.

Xater

Harvey Hedonist said:
Should I be using Pro Flight? I suck horse balls with it checked, it makes things much more difficult.

You should get used toPro control. All those idiots without it are really easy to follow. They are just able to do zome loopings to get out of sight and that's easy to follow with the pro controlls.

SamBishop

Banned
Xater said:
LOL it works fine for me. Maybe it's something on your end? The game tries to connect to the stat server when I want to see my profile.

Yeah, it works fine for most people, and it worked fine for me during the beta. Nothing has changed on my end, and I've never had problems with any other game. It's horseshit.

DemDereNads said:
Check the community page for stats.

Are you playing ranked games?

I've played nothing but ranked games because I want to unlock some of the community stuff and have some e-peen bragging rights for some of the stuff I've done. Every game I play, I'm re-earning the game fucking badges for stuff, so it's obvious the game isn't keeping track.

Fun fact: you can't check the community tab for anything when the game doesn't record your stats.

Harvey Hedonist said:

Pro flight lets you turn and burn to avoid a lot of shots from other Warhawks, so yeah, it's a definite advantage. The pre-canned aversion maneuvers are more for show than anything else (though they can work if you time it right). There's pretty much no getting away from the mounted missile launchers, though, unless you get behind a mountain or something. Of course, you never really know what has a lock on you until you see where it came from when they blow you up, so hey.

If you hop into a Warhawk to fly around for a while instead of just storming a base, your first move should be to memorize the placement of chaff on every map (they're the white icon). It's a get-out-of-jail-free card that is absolutely necessary for saving your ass.

Thanks for the tips. I'll get used to Pro Flight then.

It's not saving stats for me either, which is a bummer. I've only played on the blue servers, the SCEA ones, which are ranked right?

Safe Bet

Banned
There needs to be some way to eject players from games.

Teamkillers have no fear of punishment in this game and imo that is a HUGE oversight in design.

spwolf

stats didnt work properly for all yesterday, works fine today... I am sure they will be updated with yesterday's stuff after a while...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Safe Bet said:
There needs to be some way to eject players from games.

Teamkillers have no fear of punishment in this game and imo that is a HUGE oversight in design.

I was indeed thinking about that yesterday when checking the ranked match setup. Allowing team switching (albeit only if it doesnt cause unbalance) is a dangerous thing as this would allow one or more of the opposing (and losing) team to join your ranks and cause havok.

spwolf

SamBishop said:
If you hop into a Warhawk to fly around for a while instead of just storming a base, your first move should be to memorize the placement of chaff on every map (they're the white icon). It's a get-out-of-jail-free card that is absolutely necessary for saving your ass.

first advice for any map would be to check location of weapons and health bars on the map... thats crucial for newbies... without weapons, you are easy pray...

we should set some kind of reccomendations for newbies on basics...

spwolf

TTP said:
I was indeed thinking about that yesterday when checking the ranked match setup. Allowing team switching (albeit only if it doesnt cause unbalance) is a dangerous thing as this would allow one or more of the opposing and loosing team to join your ranks and cause havok.

hm... never saw true team killers in my few hours of playing... as much as I remember from beta, they implemented ban for team killers... you cant join any games for certain time and if you do it again, you wont be able to play for longer time...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:
hm... never saw true team killers in my few hours of playing... as much as I remember from beta, they implemented ban for team killers... you cant join any games for certain time and if you do it again, you wont be able to play for longer time...

Is there a Report feature a la Resistance?

spwolf

TTP said:
Is there a Report feature a la Resistance?

no, but all stats are extensivly tracked... teamkillers (if i remember correctly) get ban if they get to certain negative points limit... so I really didnt notice any team killers yet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:
no, but all stats are extensivly tracked... teamkillers (if i remember correctly) get ban if they get to certain negative points limit... so I really didnt notice any team killers yet.

Ah so Stats track team killing too. Good. Didnt notice that.

Safe Bet

Banned
GAFw IVITES HAVE BEEN SENT AGAIN

If you:

1. Have logged into Warhawk at least once
2. Are on the GAFw Roster
3. Have not recieved an invite

Send a PM to my GAF inbox.

For those of you not on the Roster who have PM'ed me about a spot in GAFw, please post your details in this thread so we can get you into a clan with an open spot.

GAFw may have a few open spots but I need to get all the invites sent out and update the GAFw roster before I can fill them.

JB1981

TTP said:
Ah so Stats track team killing too. Good. Didnt notice that.
what stats? game hasn't recorded a single one of my stats or badge recommendations. pretty irritating.

i have not recieved an invite to gaf east yet either. :(

The Jer

There still needs to be a report feature.
There will be ways of cheating (and other ways to be a jerk on purpose) without teamkilling. There always are.

Safe Bet

Banned
JB1981 said:
what stats? game hasn't recorded a single one of my stats or badge recommendations. pretty irritating.

i have not recieved an invite to gaf east yet either. :(
GAFe Invites should be going out today.

I believe Unholy (GAFe Leader) is waiting on the retail version.

Its a real bummer stats didn't get tracked at the same time I finally managed to get the Warhwk Recruiting ribbon. :(

I haven't seen a flood of lamers but last night I did get killed by my own teammate while carrying the flag so he could score it.

Kill Your Team's Flag Carrier = Instant Server Ban

IMO

ex0du5

Banned
SamBishop said:

WTF are you playing the game for? Are you playing to have fun, or are you just playing for stats? Nomatter if they screwed up the stats ranking so far or not (hopefully that's fixed soon), but your comments about ranking the game a 5 for not being rewarded for playing and wasting your time are just down right idiotic.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Posted this last night:

About radar - I think it's based on team vision, as in what each member of your team can currently see. I say this because I was on a map where I noticed one of my team flying a warhawk directly at someone on the opposing team in a tank. As soon as the warhawk passed over and beyond the tank, it started to fade off my radar.

Edit: I should elaborate. I was on the badlands map inside the central base. The enemy tank was outside the base following the outer wall. So I had no line of sight on it and wouldn't have known it was there until it entered the base. As a result, it wasn't showing up on my radar. I only became aware of it when my other team member came into range with his warhawk and the tank was in his line of sight. As soon as it was out of his line of sight, it faded off my radar, because it was still outside the base and outside my line of sight.

SamBishop

Banned
kaching said:
I'm assuming you didn't actually try visiting SCEA's site then:
Edit Edit: Bah, I see you actually found your way there earlier.

Yeah, I meant something akin to what Resistance has where it's an obvious forum for people just playing that game. It's a first-party game, and I'm fine with the official thread being on the PlayStation page, but a mirror on the official Warhawk page would have been swanky.

ex0du5 said:
WTF are you playing the game for? Are you playing to have fun, or are you just playing for stats? Nomatter if they screwed up the stats ranking so far or not (hopefully that's fixed soon), but your comments about ranking the game a 5 for not being rewarded for playing and wasting your time are just down right idiotic.

I'm playing to review the game. Warhawk is a blast, and I really enjoyed playing it during the beta, but there are issues that should have been ironed out for the day one release. That this kind of thing is happening now, when the PS3 user base is still relatively small and the (comparatively small) number of people buying and playing the game are getting it is unacceptable. We're not crashing the servers, we're just playing the game.

I like Warhawk, I like it a lot, but putting in hours of play time and when an entire feature of the online experience doesn't work, you get no sense of that time being rewarded. If the game were straight online with leaderboards for kills or something, that would be another story, but right now, it doesn't matter what I do, because none of that is actually being recorded, and it's a game feature.

[edit] Oh, and the game finally updated. Once. I've lost all of the ten or so hours I spent with the game yesterday. I've apparently only played the game for three minutes and so far none of the other stuff I've done is being counted. This is getting retarded.

That, and the audio quality of chat is hideous.

_RT_

Safe Bet said:

If you:

For those of you not on the Roster who have PM'ed me about a spot in GAFw, please post your details in this thread so we can get you into a clan with an open spot.

GAFw may have a few open spots but I need to get all the invites sent out and update the GAFw roster before I can fill them.

Picking up the game today (provided I can find a copy).
Will check for the invite when I get home. Already checked the roster and I look good to go.
-peace

dionysus

Yaldog
I have noticed fading off the radar as well, but I haven't noticed a correlation with vision. I do think crouching with a knife makes you invisible. Maybe just holding the knife.

I am really bad at this game, as safe bet and some of the others I played with last night can probably attest. But you can still get alot of points by playing unselfishly: capping points, guarding flag carriers (half the time they ended up dying and I took it to our base and won the game), etc.

Some bad wow moments from last nights 6 hour play session: noob drivers drove me off a cliff twice in one game. Noob driver drove me out of bounds and got me killed. In a foot race to a warhawk against I teammate, I got there a second to late, and he took off before I could get out of the hawk. He flights 20ft and runs into an aerial mine :'(

Anyway I am having a blast even though apparently I have lost all my points and ribbons from last night. Says my profile hasn't been updated since the 27th.

ex0du5

Banned
SamBishop said:
I'm playing to review the game. Warhawk is a blast, and I really enjoyed playing it during the beta, but there are issues that should have been ironed out for the day one release. That this kind of thing is happening now, when the PS3 user base is still relatively small and the (comparatively small) number of people buying and playing the game are getting it is unacceptable. We're not crashing the servers, we're just playing the game.

So were you serious about ranking the game of 5 because of one simple flaw (that will certainly be updated or fixed), or was that just an exageration? It's hardly game breaking...

As for the audio quality, sucks to hear that's it's not too great. I'm guessing it sounds a little robotic? If so, that probably means they used the oh so bad Miles codec. I know when I play Counter-Strike, I always stress the server admin to switch from Miles to the better Speex codec. Let's hope they update Warhawk to support a better voice codec.

Safe Bet said:

If you:

PSN: AgentOtaku
GAF: AgentOtaku
Timezone: Alaskan

throw me on the roster Safebet....will have the actual game later today, so will be able to finally login

Safe Bet

Banned
_RT_ said:
Picking up the game today (provided I can find a copy).
Will check for the invite when I get home. Already checked the roster and I look good to go.
-peace
You need to log into Warhawk at least once before I can send the invite.

I'll be resending them again tonight but if you don't want to wait that long, send me a PM once you have the game.

Safe Bet

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SamBishop said:
Yeah, I meant something akin to what Resistance has where it's an obvious forum for people just playing that game. It's a first-party game, and I'm fine with the official thread being on the PlayStation page, but a mirror on the official Warhawk page would have been swanky.
There is a link to that forum on the official Warhawk page. I think you're complaining for the sake of complaining on this one. Let it go, stick the stats issue ;)

We're not crashing the servers, we're just playing the game.
Stats server is separate from game servers. We could be crashing the stat server.

That, and the audio quality of chat is hideous.
Audio quality is better than it was in beta for me, and about the same as any other online game I've played with decent VOIP at this point. Also, my stats seem to be updating pretty regularly. So...maybe you haven't changed anything about your network setup, but perhaps the quality of your network connection has changed?

SamBishop

Banned
dionysus said:
I have noticed fading off the radar as well, but I haven't noticed a correlation with vision. I do think crouching with a knife makes you invisible. Maybe just holding the knife.

Just equipping the knife takes you off the radar. It's a very, very smart move to switch to it while capturing a point since the enemy can only pick you out by line of sight. Incog was really smart to keep the capture radius pretty small, so even with you're in "stealth," you can still be identified and taken out by the team holding the point.

Safe Bet

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
PSN: AgentOtaku
GAF: AgentOtaku
Timezone: Alaskan

throw me on the roster Safebet....will have the actual game later today, so will be able to finally login
I'm not sure how many spots have opened up in GAFw since the creation of GAFn but I think we can fit you in.

Killthee or I will put you on the roster if there's an open slot.

SamBishop

Banned
ex0du5 said:
So were you serious about ranking the game of 5 because of one simple flaw (that will certainly be updated or fixed), or was that just an exageration? It's hardly game breaking...

As for the audio quality, sucks to hear that's it's not too great. I'm guessing it sounds a little robotic? If so, that probably means they used the oh so bad Miles codec. I know when I play Counter-Strike, I always stress the server admin to switch from Miles to the better Speex codec. Let's hope they update Warhawk to support a better voice codec.

Yeah, I was exaggerating. I'm willing to cut 'em a wee bit of slack because it's hitting today and I think it's doing better than Sony had hoped (at least I hope, for their sake). Crashes and server dropout bugs I can let slide, but stat stuff is a core part of the experience; it'd be like an RPG forgetting to give you experience for a couple of hours worth of grinding and it just doesn't fly with me.

And yeah, it's robo-voice all the way. There are times when people are talking that I don't know what the fuck they're saying, and there are still issues with the game spitting out garbled backnoise. If two people with robo-voices are talking at the same time, there's literally no way to tell what someone has said.

dionysus

Yaldog
SamBishop said:
Just equipping the knife takes you off the radar. It's a very, very smart move to switch to it while capturing a point since the enemy can only pick you out by line of sight. Incog was really smart to keep the capture radius pretty small, so even with you're in "stealth," you can still be identified and taken out by the team holding the point.

I don't think thats the only scenario where you become invisible to the radar though. At least from what I have seen.

nofi

Apologies for being a lazy git but just got back from 5 day vacation - I presume Euro invites will go out tomorrow night? It's just that I'm downloading the US version now, but will play on my UK PSN ID (nofi) immediately.

SamBishop

Banned
dionysus said:
I don't think thats the only scenario where you become invisible to the radar though. At least from what I have seen.

Probably not, I'm just sayin'. It's also important to note that people riding shotgun in Warhawks can see everything, and I'm not sure if that's relayed to the entire team or not, but I believe those with a knife are the only ones that are truly invisible all the time. Not 100% certain, though.

[edit] Jeezus fuck, you have be kidding me. All my stats were wiped back out again. Sexcellent, job, Incog.

Raist

Banned
SamBishop said:
Yeah, I was exaggerating. I'm willing to cut 'em a wee bit of slack because it's hitting today and I think it's doing better than Sony had hoped (at least I hope, for their sake). Crashes and server dropout bugs I can let slide, but stat stuff is a core part of the experience; it'd be like an RPG forgetting to give you experience for a couple of hours worth of grinding and it just doesn't fly with me.

I'd think it's the opposite. You can always simulate what is going to happen, server wise, for gameplay (especially for warhawk since they use PS3's as servers) but I think that the game going up, and the stat servers having to deal with infos from thousands of players isn't something you can completely foresee.

It's just like the WW servers for RFoM. They polished it, did tons of tests, even delayed it to fix some more stuff, and that didn't prevent some major problems during the first 2 days.

Top Bottom