• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Safe Bet

Banned
*reposting on new page

GAFw INVITES HAVE BEEN RESENT 8/29

If you...

1. Have logged into Warhawk at least once
2. Are on the GAFw Caln Roster
3. Have not recieved an invite

Please send a message to my GAF inbox.

Also...

gbovo
Blue_Remedy
xDefuser
freshair
Filth_Flannigan
Diseasedyak
Aleman
Leehom
Titus_Pullo
xXNostradamusXx

I need you guys to either log on and accept your invites or send me a message letting me know you don't plan to accept.

Thanks....

Safe Bet

AgentOtaku said:
its cool....as I said before...I'll just wait then until a spot comes open :)
*nod*

We'd love to have you. Hopefully a spot will open up soon.

SamBishop

Banned
kaching said:
They shifted development because they were having significant internal problems, according to yourself and your esteemed colleagues. How are you overlooking this? Did you assume that "shifting development" was a magic wand for having no more issues, ever?

Not at all, but when you shift staff from doing both single- and multi-player aspects into just one of them, I kinda expect things to go a little more smoothly. I know they lost staff, and I know things were rough during development. I'm not knocking the core experience, as it's one of the best multiplayer shooters I've ever played. There's no reason that one can't level a little bit of due criticism on some of the outlying areas of the experience, though.

Again, if it was a $30 download-only game, I probably wouldn't mind as much, but this is a full-priced game, and I tend to treat 'em as such. If an RPG just up and stopped recording your experience for hours at a time, people would be pissed. I kinda treat the two as one in the same. If it's going to cost me the same as an offline game, I expect that level of polish.

kaching said:
There is an online manual, linked in this very thread.

Is that accessible from in-game? I must be retarded if so, and apologies for making that mistake.

criesofthepast said:
i just emailed bestbuy.ca customer service about the status of the orders and will post the reply when i get it.

Thanks. For PMing with Futureshop, if I print out a copy of the product on the website but it says that it isn't in stock... is that enough?

Or does the website printout have to say that the product is in stock?

Jim

besada said:
It looks like it's coming. If you go to their page you can find a stats link, with the rollover saying (Coming soon...). Should have been up on day one, but hey, so long as they get it up I'll be happy. I want Halo style detail, too.

It could be a text-only, 1 page snapshot of stats and that would be enough. I'm just a little annoyed at the fact that it seems like more of an afterthought than an integral part of the experience... especially for an online-only title in which stats is everything.

It's not like Incog needed to do it themselves internally, SCEA has a large set of web developers they could have put on the project.

besada said:
I had a delay in having my stats update of more than five hours, but I checked this morning and they were correctly updated, so who knows what's going on.

^
The answer I was hoping for... but even with only a relatively small segment of the overall pool of gamers currently playing so far (mostly North American players via PSN-download) and there still being such delays, I'm hoping they can figure it out.

theBishop

Banned
I probably won't get this until Tuesday.

Did they separate motion controlled WarHawks from ground vehicles? I hate steering tanks/jeeps with Sixaxis, but its cool in the air.

calder

criesofthepast said:
i just emailed bestbuy.ca customer service about the status of the orders and will post the reply when i get it.
Awesome, thanks. :) I'm feeling much regret about waiting so far, but the free headset might still make me forget a few days lost Warhawking.

Everyone is going to be awesome by the weekend and I'll be a huge liability when GAFw is smacking the taste of sass out GAFe's collective gob. :(

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Haha, did anyone else see the Calling All Cars characters in the insignia section?

besada

Banned
Jim said:
It could be a text-only, 1 page snapshot of stats and that would be enough.

Yeah, they clearly didn't plan out the web-based stats page as well as they should have. Like Halo 3, they should have been working on it during the Beta. I will say the in-game stats are quite nice, when they update.

I came in third on a winning match and was worried that I'd lose my ribbon, but it finally showed up.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SamBishop said:
Not at all, but when you shift staff from doing both single- and multi-player aspects into just one of them, I kinda expect things to go a little more smoothly.
"More smoothly" still doesn't necessarily get you problem-free.

There's no reason that one can't level a little bit of due criticism on some of the outlying areas of the experience, though.
The issues you raise should be fixed and ideally wouldn't have happened at all. No dispute there. It's the Chicken Little way you're doing it that doesn't exactly come across as simply leveling "a little bit of due criticism". ;)

Again, if it was a $30 download-only game, I probably wouldn't mind as much, but this is a full-priced game, and I tend to treat 'em as such.
This is a little specious argument when there's a perfectly legitimate way to buy the game at less than "full-priced" on PSN.

Is that accessible from in-game? I must be retarded if so, and apologies for making that mistake.
It was during beta. Haven't tried it in the full retail release. In any case, it's also directly linked on the front page of the official site.

Safe Bet

Banned
calder said:
Everyone is going to be awesome by the weekend and I'll be a huge liability when GAFw is smacking the taste of sass out GAFe's collective gob. :(
You can be my Wingman.

:)

Seriously though, I think it's best if we run in pairs when playing competitevly.

The more experienced players can pair up with the less experienced players which should benifit both.

besada

Banned
calder said:

There are a ton of easier support roles than flying a Warhawk. In particular, the missile and flak turrets are a newbs dream. You can find one just outside of the main action and dump missiles on the enemy from a distance, and jump out and run if anyone comes near you. In Zones or CTF, newbs are great for turning over territories. Hop in a tank, drive it up to the flag, and sit there. Both of those things are huge strategic advantages for the team without actually having to be very good.

Doel

SamBishop said:
Again, I think the sticking point for me is that this is a game that shifted development to become an online-only title. Jim was only asking for an online component where you can check your rank or something for e-peen bonuses (something that, say, SOCOM has had for a while now). That Warhawk is seriously lacking in the extraneous community stuff isn't so much a detractor (well, not entirely), it's just that for a game that is online-only, it should have been a killer app for helping people set up games, tout their skills, etc.

All of those games we've compared Warhawk to have single-player too, and that's what really gets me. You're paying more or less full retail price, but the game is only online. People that shell out $40 or more bucks deserve a game at least on part with a launch game that also had a single-player component.

I don't need cell phone updates or something, I just want an online hub that shows my stats, some official forums (even if it's just a mirror) or, I dunno, maybe an online manual since a lot of people will be buying the game as a PSN download?

[edit] Annnnnd Jim kinda beat me to it.
SOCOM has a lot of things Warhawk doesn't.

I think SOCOM has the superior lobby system/online interface (SOCOM 2 and Halo 2 have the two best online interfaces out of any online game imo, which each are good for different types of games), and related to that it feels weird that you don't go back to a lobby between each game in Warhawk where it would give you time to chat with the other team, switch sides, and ready up when you were back from the kitchen/bathroom/whatever, when you are ready to play.

SOCOM also has a lot more depth and Joe Rybicki (of 1up) mentioned that in his Warhawk review. I guess you really can't fault Warhawk too much for being designed as a hop-in/hop-out experience, but at the same time you kind of expect more from a multi-player only game.

spwolf

gotta say, pro controls adds completly another dimension to this game... awesome... hard but wow.

they should make another game just for dogfights, based on this engine... freaking unbelievable.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Doel said:
SOCOM has a lot of things Warhawk doesn't.

I think SOCOM has the superior lobby system/online interface (SOCOM 2 and Halo 2 have the two best online interfaces out of any online game imo, which each are good for different types of games), and related to that it feels weird that you don't go back to a lobby between each game in Warhawk where it would give you time to chat with the other team, switch sides, and ready up when you were back from the kitchen/bathroom/whatever, when you are ready to play.

SOCOM also has a lot more depth and Joe Rybicki (of 1up) mentioned that in his Warhawk review. I guess you really can't fault Warhawk too much for being designed as a hop-in/hop-out experience, but at the same time you kind of expect more from a multi-player only game.

A party system would be nice as well as a squad chat option like resist. I think thats the only thing from the beta that they were like.."hmm...Nah!"

spwolf said:
gotta say, pro controls adds completly another dimension to this game... awesome... hard but wow.

they should make another game just for dogfights, based on this engine... freaking unbelievable.

There is a Warhawks only option i believe. :D

Doel

[CFD] El Capitan said:
A party system would be nice as well as a squad chat option like resist. I think thats the only thing from the beta that they were like.."hmm...Nah!"
Ya a squad chat option is something that really should have been in the game. Resistance and all the SOCOM games, both have it. I like the way Resistance does it better though - if you are in a squad, then its open mic in that squad.

Xater

Wollan said:
I'm pretty sure there's a dogfight mode in this game. Warhawks only.

Yes there is and it is great. But my favorite modes became CTF and Zones. CTF is so great when the flag carrier is protected with some Warhawks.

besada

Banned
[QUOTE='[CFD]
There is a Warhawks only option i believe. :D[/QUOTE]

Yep. I played a few games on one of the SCEA servers that had this option running. You start out in the air, in a warhawk, and it's all dogfighting. I did it on a 24 player server, and it was literally awesome, with you constantly flying through someone else's debris.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Hey Safe.. What do you think about breaking out into battalions. Air/Infantry...IE some people might be better at Warhawks so they get first dibs on them...and some might be better in tanks / infantry. That way when playing competitively we dont have people taking vehicles/warhawks that the guy running right behind them would be better at. I dunno. Just speaking outloud.

Safe Bet

Banned
Doel said:
I'm one of the biggest SOCOM fans out there but that is too much of a false statement to let pass.

SOCOM depends more on the razor sharp refinement of the few viable strategies possible per map/mode.

Warhawks possible strategies are damn near limitless given the size of the maps, the player count, and the wide assortment of weapons and vehicles.

Jim said:
I didn't check this morning, but if I lost the dozen awards I earned last night I'm gonna be pissed. I played about 20+ ranked games, and won a few. When I last checked it said I played 4 games... which is completely wrong. I can't believe how buggy the stats system is.
I don't know if it's really that buggy or if the queue system that is supposed to take in this data is wonky. I've experienced the same delays with Battlefield 2, so I am used to it. All my ribbons were in this morning, so I am up to date. I'm sure it's frustrating for those on a deadline.

Ragnarok10

Incog has added quite a few noticeable graphical improvements. There's motion blur and camera shake now whenever a nearby explosion takes place. The heat waves behind Warhawk turbines and rockets has some added cinematic effect. It all looks quite nice.

Xater

Hey what happened to the Vari servers? I like those because they cicle through all the game modes. I can't find any.

Edi: LOL i just realized my filters where not properly set that's why.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
spwolf said:

Pro Flight is where it's at, baby! I just perfected powersliding with my Warhawk too. I love this game. :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
[CFD] El Capitan said:
Hey Safe.. What do you think about breaking out into battalions. Air/Infantry...IE some people might be better at Warhawks so they get first dibs on them...and some might be better in tanks / infantry. That way when playing competitively we dont have people taking vehicles/warhawks that the guy running right behind them would be better at. I dunno. Just speaking outloud.

That's an excellent idea. Saves time in the crucial beginning by having people go to their corresponding spots.

Ragnarok10 said:
Incog has added quite a few noticeable graphical improvements. There's motion blur and camera shake now whenever a nearby explosion takes place. The heat waves behind Warhawk turbines and rockets has some added cinematic effect. It all looks quite nice.
I believe the ramps in archipelago are now textured. TONX and I had a little discussion about some of the changes, but I like the recoil and blur effects for firing the sniper rifle.

Safe Bet

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:
I was starting to think along the same lines but thought it best we get a week or two of playtime in before begining to play on a more serious level.

I'd like to give everyone a chance to play as they'd like for a bit before I start barking orders.

Plus its not like we're going to have to "try" to beat GAFe.

I'm sure once we show up on the battlefield they're going to run away in fear.

;)

ex0du5

Banned
SamBishop said:
Again, if it was a $30 download-only game, I probably wouldn't mind as much, but this is a full-priced game, and I tend to treat 'em as such.

You seriously got ripped off if you were charged $60 for the game (without the headset of course).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am still on the fence about buying. Someone give me good reason to buy. I will pull the trigger before 1 pm est so when i get back from class around 4 it will already be downloaded.

dionysus

Yaldog
Safe Bet said:
Plus its not like we're going to have to "try" to beat GAFe.

I'm sure once we show up on the battlefield they're going to run away in fear.

;)

bears-gone-wild-gafw.jpg

ex0du5

Banned
MThanded said:
I am still on the fence about buying. Someone give me good reason to buy. I will pull the trigger before 1 pm est so when i get back from class around 4 it will already be downloaded.

WOWWHAWK!

gcubed

chubigans said:
That's an excellent idea. Saves time in the crucial beginning by having people go to their corresponding spots.

i agree in general, i love infantry/ground support more then the warhawks (although i still love to hop in a warhawk once in a while). But if we were doing clan matches, i think its better to get roles then to just go off and go crazy.

I've played quite a few ranked CTF matches were everyone is gone in 15 seconds and i am the lone man left in the corner with a rocket launcher and grenades to defend the base. There are some great places to set up so when someone comes in to grab the flag, boom

belvedere

Junior Butler
In case anyone forgot.

He's outa here. peep 1 or 2 pages back.

Details
"SpacLock"
Sorry for the late response...

1. Hahaha no, sorry buddy. It's called a timezone. I also pmed pictures for proof. that guy was an idiot.

2. I thought that it was bad enough after 15 minutes... So yeah, i posted a my feelings.

3. So?

You guys are getting way too defensive. Take it easy.

If IGN gives this game an 8 or higher you can ban me for 2 months.
If GameSpot gives the game an 8 or higher you can ban me for an additional 2 months

And with that i'll leave the thread for now. I'm not trying to flame guys.

and the aftershock....
SpacLock
Banned

(08-26-2007, 12:50 PM)
Reply | Quote

:D

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
MThanded said:

Video%20-%20The%20Gods%20Must%20Be%20Crazy%20II.jpg

If you have a ps3...why WOULDNT you buy?

Doel

Went to Futureshop, grabbed Warhawk off the shelf (which was $69.99 there), showed them BestBuy's price at $39.99. They had to call and confirm that BestBuy had it in stock, they did, so they beat the price and gave it to me for $36.99 CDN/$35 USD.

Warhawk36.jpg

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Doel said:
Went to Futureshop, grabbed Warhawk off the shelf (which was $69.99 there), showed them BestBuy's price at $39.99. They had to call and confirm that BestBuy had it in stock, they did, so they beat the price and gave it to me for $36.99 CDN/$35 USD.

:lol Nice! Stick it to the man!

besada

Banned
MThanded said:
I am still on the fence about buying. Someone give me good reason to buy.

Buy it. Is that good enough? How about this. Look at my tag and ask yourself, would this guy hype the game if it wasn't worth it?

I love this game. It's fast, brutal, unforgiving, and a blast to play. It's incredibly open and you can play in any style you like, from sneaky stealth to banzai charges, to plowing into the center of the enemy territory with your warhawk at high speed. Dogfights, tanks, jeeps, turrets -- all player controllable with up to 32 players, and it's beautiful.

And the surround sound on it is amazing.

Buy it.

Safe Bet

Banned
dionysus said:
Ok..

I threw up a little when I saw that...

:lol

I was going to ask where the GAFu bear was until I figured out he's probably in some coffe shop somewhere chatting about art or some shit.

;)

Top Bottom