• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Steroyd

Xater said:
Slowly GAFu is growing. I like how I can easily join a game from the clan list. :D

A clan I haven't been invited to *HINT* *HINT*

Incognito really need to have a party system in this, it's so much harder to get organized, inability to message in game doesn't help either.

Firewire

Banned
dionysus said:
We have GAFw vs. GAFe tonight actually.

Yeah, but we have to talk with UnholySpectacle & Safebet both had major problems sending out GAF invites last night. Hopefully it gets worked out fast.

the_id

i just pawned a tank with a handgun! just a handgun! went behind its cannon and just shot at the back. guy must've been annoyed.

this game is awesome. we just need the clan organised now. just accepted GAFw invite. it worked for me. thanks safe bet.

Oni Jazar

Posting this again incase anyone wants to know:

Flight tips:

Hold down the fire button when using missiles. They will automatically lock on to targets in your scope. Release the fire button to fire.

Double tap and hold R2 for a speed boost. Useful to get somewhere quickly or avoid locked missiles (turn around buildings/hills).

Hold L2 & R2 to execute a powerslide.

If you're going to use sticks and not motion control, play with Pro-Flight active. It takes a bit of getting used to but definitely makes you much more agile in the air, also makes those silly newbs doing constant barrel rolls easy pickings. Start your own password protected game and learn.

Learn where the chaff and health pickups are in the air when flying. Those two items are your lifeline and will make the difference of staying alive for 2 mins or 20.

Beware the Ground-to-Air guns and missiles. They will shread your warhawk almost immediately. If you want to get risky you can try to get behind them and use a large homing missile, otherwise just land as close as you can and chuck grenades.

The stealth powerup is usefull for flying around the map grabbing all other powerups without interruption. When you start using your weapons the stealth will instantly deactivate so use it only when you're not going to fight.

Tow Missiles is the most powerful weapon for a Warhawk. If you see a shockwave go off somewhere on the map that's the Tow. Know where they spawn. You can be a real rat bastard if you keep picking one up, hiding, and killing groups of people without anyone knowing where you are. Great to take out a well defensed group.

Small tip for Air-to-Air combat. If I'm flying against someone that is somewhat skilled, I like to fire a single swarm missile at him just so that he gets rid of his chaff, then load up ten more for the next slavo.

Land Tips:

There are no parachutes and you cannot jump out of a plane that does not have it's landing gear down (automatically extends when Warhawk is in hover mode and close to the ground). Keep this in mind if you are going to jump into a Warhawk in passenger mode. You may be taken on a long and stupid ride unless you really trust the guy.

Infantry weapon is as follows: Knife is most effective for extreme close combat (one hit kill), guns/flamethrowers are most effective for close range combat, machine gun for medium range, sniper for long range. Rocket launchers will lock onto Warhawks, Tansks and I believe Ground-To-Air missiles/guns. Know your distance and when to use what weapon.

Binoculars are used for calling an airstrike. Just "shoot" the binoculars to a far distance and wait until the timer reaches zero. One hit kills anything in its radius.

Equipping the knife will make you invisible to enemy's radar. That is a big deal.

Grenade on a soldier is a one hit kill on contact.

Vehicle Tips:

Tank shots can kill Warhawks in one hit. If you see a hovering Warhawk don't hesitate to aim and shoot.

Tanks can carry two players, one driver and one passenger. The passenger can pop in and out of the Tank hatch with the Triangle button (IIRC) and fire on anyone in range using an eqquiped gun, machine gun or missile launcher.

On Jeeps: Hold down L2 & R2 to cause a skid. Useful for quickturns and just looking/sounding cool. A jeep can hold three players: Driver, Gunner and Passenger. The passenger is a gimp that can't do anything but sit along for the ride. R1 is the jeep's horn. Annoy at will.

Firewire

Banned
Aleman said:
This is by far my favorite game of this generation at this point.

I think it has GOTY potential, I know its online only, but its so much fun. I know I will be playing this baby for a long long time.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
does the passenger in the jeep get increased radar visibility like a warhawk passenger?

Kal

I just played my first game! OMG I don't know what I'm doing Lol

Can I join the GAFu clan

PSN ID: slykal

London, UK GMT

Thank you!

Xater

Firewire said:
I think it has GOTY potential, I know its online only, but its so much fun. I know I will be playing this baby for a long long time.

Online GOTY then. Because SP GOTY will clearly be Bioshock ;)

Aleman

Firewire said:

Still too early to call multiplayer GOTY, especially since the big multiplayer games like Halo, UT, and CoD aren't out yet. But this game should definitely be up there.

besada

Banned
It doesn't need to be GOTY, it just needs to be really good, which they delivered on in spades. I wish I was home playing.

Roxas

by the way, is there some kind of secret to locking onto people? I keep getting locked on constantly (and im not just staying still) but i cant hit anyone for shit.

Xater

Roxas said:
by the way, is there some kind of secret to locking onto people? I keep getting locked on constantly (and im not just staying still) but i cant hit anyone for shit.

Hmm I am pretty god at it. If I have enough rockets you are dead. :lol

My tactic is to get on their tail lock on 3 to 5 missiles and they are gone most of the time. The distance is important. Try to experiment with the distance to see what works best for the standard missile. The homing one works for longer distances better.

Firewire

Banned
The real question, when UT3 comes out, how do I find time to play Resistance, Wowhawk & UT3 online. Seriously my social life this fall, looks to be over for a long ass while!

Xater

Firewire said:
The real question, when UT3 comes out, how do I find time to play Resistance, Wowhawk & UT3 online. Seriously my social life this fall, looks to be over for a long ass while!

Don't forget CoD4. The MP of that game will be amazing too.

gstaff

Started last night...man I'm terrible so far. It kind of reminds of me playing Guitar Hero and having to press the Red and Blue frets for the first time...couldnt do that. Now I'm struggling to use motion controls and aim at the same time (though I'm finding I'm doing a little better having switch the aiming controls with the WH to the right analog stick).

Xater

Steroyd said:
yay I'm in the Euro clan now just need to find a way to play with other Gaffer's who are online right now.

Use the clan meber list. Later on there will be a GAFu Server from TTP/Bloody_Marcel.

i'm never pre-ordering from any major retailer ever again. still waiting for best buy.ca to ship my order.

Gafn wait for me!! should be on in the next week.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Try throwing in Madden Leagues, AND I'll be getting Bioshock any day now, AND College Football is starting, AND I've got 3 Fantasy Football Leagues, AND I've got a new job I'm trying to learn!

dionysus

Yaldog
criesofthepast said:
i'm never pre-ordering from any major retailer ever again. still waiting for best buy.ca to ship my order.

There is a reason brick and mortar stores exist. I would just cancel the order, unless its a deal.

besada

Banned
Xater said:
My tactic is to get on their tail lock on 3 to 5 missiles and they are gone most of the time. The distance is important. Try to experiment with the distance to see what works best for the standard missile. The homing one works for longer distances better.

I've had some good success with the following:

1) Strike from above. People seem to reflexively turn upwards to escape missile lock, so they run head first into the missiles.

2) I do a two and three scenario, where I lock two missiles on, let them start running and then lock the other three.

dionysus

Yaldog
besada said:
I've had some good success with the following:

1) Strike from above. People seem to reflexively turn upwards to escape missile lock, so they run head first into the missiles.

2) I do a two and three scenario, where I lock two missiles on, let them start running and then lock the other three.

I find that being a homing missile camper works really well. As people have more difficulty shaking those, and they do more damage.

Raist

Banned
wow, it's pretty hard to dodge missiles once you're locked :/

I see people easily doing it, but I still haven't understood how :lol

And no, I'm not speaking about using chaff :p

criesofthepast said:

Price went back to 69.99 on the website.

Nightz

Raist said:
wow, it's pretty hard to dodge missiles once you're locked :/

I see people easily doing it, but I still haven't understood how :lol

And no, I'm not speaking about using chaff :p
Use pro flying mode, and maneuver like crazy (a few sharp turns should work well) when missiles are locked on.

Don't know if any of you know the question to this, but, if you download with one account, the game won't work with the other account, ever?

Raist

Banned
Nightz said:
Use pro flying mode, and maneuver like crazy when missiles are locked on.

That's what I do :p

Didn't even try the basic mode anyway.

But still, I barely dodge any missile... once in a while...

Need... more... training.

When will TTP set his server up for some GAFu fun ? :D

Raist

Banned
Merovingian said:
Don't know if any of you know the question to this, but, if you download with one account, the game won't work with the other account, ever?

Nope. It's linked to only one account. You still can play with the same account on another PS3, but after 24h.

Firewire

Banned
Raist said:
That's what I do :p

Didn't even try the basic mode anyway.

But still, I barely dodge any missile... once in a while...

Need... more... training.

When will TTP set his server up for some GAFu fun ? :D

Use hills & canyons, make the missiles fly into walls, climb the rock's, skim water, and fly like a bat out of hell, and remember use the boost double tap R2.

Oni Jazar

Firewire said:
Use hills & canyons, make the missiles fly into walls, climb the rock's, skim water, and fly like a bat out of hell, and remember use the boost double tap R2.

Yep you definitely need to use the environment to shake off the lock. Do tight turns around a building or fly through a tunnel or hell just land and get out of the warhawk. I've done that lots of times. :)

Core407

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Yep you definitely need to use the environment to shake off the lock. Do tight turns around a building or fly through a tunnel or hell just land and get out of the warhawk. I've done that lots of times. :)

My favorite is flying through a canyon, pulling up on the controls to watch the Warhawk fly up the canyon.

icechai

Oni Jazar said:

if you have boost ready, 2 sharp turns shakes off any missles. You don't need the environment, but it does help to avoid being locked on again after you shook the first batch of missles and your boost is out :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok guys I've created a server already (Player, non ranked) for some practicing.

Max players: 20
Team balance is OFF and team switching is ON.
Friendly Fire is OFF (0%)
Map rotation has plenty of Zones, CTF and TDM (doghfighting and not)

Server name: GAFu
Password: usual one (<- not the actual password)

I'll join u later. My PSN ID is Bloody_Marcel, so if you are part of the GAFu clan you can just reach me via the Buddy list instead of seraching for the server in the server list.

EDIT: If unwanted people join we might change the password. To do so our clan leader can send an in-game message to the clan with the chosen password so that only GAFu members know it.

TTP said:
Ok guys I've created a server already (Player, non ranked) for some practicing.

Max players: 20
Team balance is OFF and team switching is ON.
Friendly Fire is OFF (0%)
Map rotation has plenty of Zones, CTF and TDM (doghfighting and not)

Server name: GAFu
Password: usual one

I'll join u later. My PSN ID is Bloody_Marcel, so if you are part of the GAFu clan you can just reach me via the Buddy list instead of seraching for the server in the server list.

I might hop into that later.

Top Bottom