• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

ndiicm

Bebpo said:
CTF is impossible without friends.

I went through a game that was 0-0 the whole time because no one by themselves could get the flag out of a building of 5 guys camping with flamethrowers.

That is so true. whats your psn id ill add you. I need to play with more people with brains till I get my GAFn invite.

dralla

Cluster Bombs are the anti-camper. My team was camping inside a bunker on the Burning Bridges map and some guy swooped in and dropped the cluster bomb and killed EVERYONE

EekTheKat

Damn it

I don't think I can fly anymore in this game, I'm developing crippling arthritis trying to keep my fingers on the turbo and the machine gun at the same time :lol

I'll need to play with the settings a bit I guess, but while I'm learning I'm sticking with the default config.

Alex

I haven't had many good CTF games yet, but there was that one from my last session, I think Dino was also in it and perhaps a couple others, was just a total clusterfuck of chaos at the end for a loose flag.

dionysus

Yaldog
Wow, awesome bug I just found. So if the clan roster server is down, this is what happens.

You hit refresh clan list, it gives you an error messages and forces you out to the clan screen.
Once there it automatically tries to download your clan message, which gives you an error.
Then it automatically again tries to get the clan roster....

Repeat for infinity and you can't stop it, I guess I am going to have to brave the authentication server after all...

gcubed

As far as other gaf areas, i will probably leave a gaf server up and running on my ps3 overnight if anyone is interested, something along the lines of GAFemakesbabiescry :D

Aleman

Killthee said:
Make sure you always have a TOW missile or a full Energy Shot anytime your doing aerial support in a CTF game. If you have the TOW missile, creep up behind the vehicle and launch it for a one hit kill. If you have the energy shot, charge it up to full power, get as close to the vehicle as possible, and shoot it (if you hit it directly it will tag onto the vehicle and destroy it 5 seconds later, if you shot the storm in front of the vehicle it will usually either destroy it or take at least half of its health)

How do you charge up the energy shot?

methane47

I just got to play with a couple gaffers.. ... it wasn't ranked so my first place doesn't count :( :( :(

ANyways this game is soo hot.. I'm getting alot better at flying.. But I'm seeing that my talent lies in Defense...

GAme is great...

oh every now and again I go on bombing runs with the cluster bomb.. anyone else go on bombing runs? where you just start high in the air.. and when you're right over your target you airbrake and head straight down.. Drop the bomb.. Airbrake again to correct myself on the horizon.. And boost off

Its soo awesome.. and dangerous since usually i'm doing this agains SAM sites and flak cannons

Aleman said:
Yea they really need to crank up the Warhawk machine gun power. It's so annoying when you're trying to kill a flag carrier in a jeep and you have to shoot him up half way across the map.

I usually have to use my missiles to take out dudes/vehicles, but then it seems like I always get taken out by a another Warhawk as soon as I'm out of missiles.

Nah the machine gun is plenty powerful. One thing I have learned is that you don't need to hold down the trigger. I just strafe back and forth and keep tapping it. It might take a bit but it keeps them from overheating.

dralla

if they made the machine gun more powerfull people on foot would just get gunned down by Warhawks and it wouldn't be fun. i think they need to make the missles more effective against jeeps though

Varshes

So now I'm getting the "Invitation not sent" message for everyone... I will keep trying, but it doesn't look like any new GAFn invites are going out tonight.

Alex

I think the assault rifle needs to go up in power and the base missle turret needs to go down, other than that I think its pretty damn great balance.

my only real complaint with the game is that I wish you could pick a weapon kit to spawn with like battlefield. I hate respawning back into an area with a tank ripping everyones ass apart and having nothing to defend myself with.

JB1981

Alex said:
I think the assault rifle needs to go up in power and the base missle turret needs to go down, other than that I think its pretty damn great balance.

my only real complaint with the game is that I wish you could pick a weapon kit to spawn with like battlefield. I hate respawning back into an area with a tank ripping everyones ass apart and having nothing to defend myself with.

great point.

methane47

Darobga is fricking insame.. The game has been out for not even a week and you have 1000 kills and a whole lot of frickin stats.. Plus you're ranked one of the top players in the world

VERY nice...!!

schmalz

Hey peeps. I'm new to GAF and don't have many PS3 friends. I'd love to add some of you to my buddy list and possibly join a gaf clan for Warhawk. (I'm a west coaster.)

My SN is Stealth_Hippie.

methane47

Alex said:

I agree.. but this game isn't like Battlefield... tanks aren't the impervious beasts like in that game... Everything does damage.... together with a couple folks .. if you work together you can take out a tank with just pistols

Varshes

I made a Dedicated CTF game named GAFn, I can't participate, but if any of our clan want to join it, it's there. Hopefully it doesn't crash.

Aleman

I can't believe some of the dudes at the top of the leaderboard have ~30 hours put into this game so far. It's only been out for what, 68 hours?

Aleman

methane47 said:
I agree.. but this game isn't like Battlefield... tanks aren't the impervious beasts like in that game... Everything does damage.... together with a couple folks .. if you work together you can take out a tank with just pistols

Wait, you can damage tanks with pistols!?

Safe Bet

Banned
Varshes said:
I made a Ranked Dedicated CTF game named GAFn, I can't participate, but if any of our clan want to join it, it's there. Hopefully it doesn't crash.
FUCK

I have to leave for about an hour. Hopefully its still up when I get back.

Alex

You can't damage tanks with pistols. You can hurt them with the grenades, but only about 1/8th of the bar per toss.

Tanks are the best weapons in the game, in my opinion. They're nowhere near invincible, hell, one jackass running behind one with a flamethrower will do it in, but I think they have the best firepower for the fewest weaknesses.

Aleman

Alex said:
You can't damage tanks with pistols. You can hurt them with the grenades, but only about 1/8th of the bar per toss.

Tanks are the best weapons in the game, in my opinion. They're nowhere near invincible, hell, one jackass running behind one with a flamethrower will do it in, but I think they have the best firepower for the fewest weaknesses.

Yea I get points way faster with tanks than anything else. Warhawks usually have a lot of trouble taking me out in a tank. Flamethrowers and RPGs are usually what get me.

Raist

Banned
Ok, I think I'm done for today, 8 hours in a row should be enough :lol

I'm still pretty weak with the hawks, but not bad I think on foot.

I've continued trying to play in normal mode. As I said dodging missiles is WAY easier, but you also have way less freedom, chasing and going through canyons and stuff is a pain.
Looks also like your moves are tighter and faster in normal mode, and it's also visually more impressive, or at least fun.

I think I'll try to practice my missile escaping in pro mode tomorrow, because the loss in freedom is annoying.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
dionysus said:
To rank up again I need warhawk recruiting. My question is do I need to get the kills while in a warhawk or can I just fly around for 4 minutes and then kill one ground troop and 1 vehicle. As you can see, I much prefer the ground game in Warhawk....

You have to get the kill using a Warhawk. Start off by looking for a 32p CTF server. Don't worry about the 4 minute requirement (not consecutive BTW), you'll probably complete it while trying to complete the other requirements. When the round starts get into a Warhawk ASAP. Pickup the TOW missile, pickup the homing missiles, pickup the energy shot, and max out the swarm missile. By the time you're done picking up the weapons the battle should be in full swing and the enemy troops should be advancing to your base. Use the full map (Select button) to stalk out your prey. Your looking for the retarded guy/vehicle who is out alone with no backup anywhere near him.

If your victim is a ground troop get as close to him as possible and shoot him using the homing missiles, when/if you run out of HM before killing him obliterate him using the swarm missiles. If that tactic doesn't work, use the TOW missile.

If your victim is a 4x4, stalk up behind him and shoot him with a TOW missile.

If your victim is a tank (easiest to kill and also the one that can put on the biggest fight) do a direct shot of electric shot charge (hold L1 till the meter completes the circle). Finish the tank/speed up the kill by shooting him with either swarming or homing missiles. If that tactic doesn't work, use the TOW missile ; P

Aleman said:
How do you charge up the energy shot?

Hold L1 till the meter completes the circle.

andrewjnyc said:
I would lovelovelove an invite to a GAF clan that has room available.

PSN: Tyrion

GMT -5

East Coast, United States

Done. GAFn is now full!!! :lol We got three N.A. clans before even filling up the Euro clan :lol The 4th clan will be started soon, post your info (PSN ID, GAF ID, Timezone, and Location*) if you want to be placed on the invite list.

*Location optional

Varshes

I guess GAF's password is well known, I got non GAF people up the ass in here.

I cut off that game, there was only 1 person from GAF at a time and a guy with 4 controllers taking over all the slots. Any ideas what we should be doing about a password?

Varshes said:

I cut off that game, there was only 1 person from GAF at a time and a guy with 4 controllers taking over all the slots. Any ideas what we should be doing about a password?

It is probably people who haven't been added from other clans.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Varshes said:

Lets do the name of our fellow Winghawk who was unfairly banned.

Kalren

Got the game today, it's pretty great...

but I have to say that flying those Warhawks is mighty difficult for me. I started with motion controls but unless I'm just cruising around(alone), I just seem to be erratic during dogfights...

Have most of you started with some basic controls and learn your way from there or is it best just to keep trying the motion controls?

Grayman

Bebpo said:
CTF is impossible without friends.

I went through a game that was 0-0 the whole time because no one by themselves could get the flag out of a building of 5 guys camping with flamethrowers.
The five guys with flamethrowers were working as friends. When the opposition isn't organized you can do a lot solo in CTF.

Kalren said:
Got the game today, it's pretty great...

but I have to say that flying those Warhawks is mighty difficult for me. I started with motion controls but unless I'm just cruising around(alone), I just seem to be erratic during dogfights...

Have most of you started with some basic controls and learn your way from there or is it best just to keep trying the motion controls?

I started with motion controls but switched to sticks because I have a chance of lasting longer in a dogfight. Between rocket launchers, turrets and other warhawks... I barely get off the ground sometimes. This game is fun but the warhawks have one hell of a learning curve.

Dogfighting alone is worth 20 quid. I finally tried the default controls, now at least I know why people barrel roll all the time. It's pretty funny though, tailing someone and shooting with your guns, they just start barrel rolling. What do they think they're going to accomplish?

Anyway, after my first day playing, I had some highlights and some low points.The lowest probably being when I picked someone up in a jeep, drove up to an enemy with a flamethrower, bailed, got killed and just had time before I respawned to see the jeep explode, with the unfortunate bastard who had trusted me enough to accept a ride going up with it.

Still smashing into walls a lot, and the ground as I frantically hit square to enter hover mode only to be greeted with a flashing red sign telling me I can't dismount my warhawk as it torpedoes into the ground. Goddamn, I must have done that ten times. Still when you get it right in the warhawk, it feels pretty good. Doing a quick inverted U-turn when you're already really low and flying upside down not 20 metres from the ground as you deliver the fatal blow to the enemy craft that not 5 seconds earlier had been so far up your ass he could see daylight again? What can I say, it makes you feel good.

Foil

Fun game, but I was playing dogfight only so far. Think I'm getting the hang of flying. Just setup a local offline game by myself to dink around in. It's a good way to learn the ropes before jumping into the frying pan. Some people are already damn good at this game.

Top Bottom