• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

OatmealMu

King Of Braves said:
Also, is it just me or dose the archipelago map remind anyone else of a really old cancelled game? It’s been nagging at me all day but I cant for the life of me remember what the game was called. I think it was a 3rd person shooter of some sort and all the maps were made up of islands floating high in the sky.

I think I know what you're talking about. It was a PC game. IIRC, it mixed shooter and RTS elements. You could build turrets and various other things on your island. I think the islands could actually move, too.

Wait, is this it?

172fs326566.jpg

It's called Project Nomads.

Xater

S. L. said:
the only thing i am good at are the all air dogfights :/

and goncaloca (sp?) MIIINES arrrgh
mines everywhere

Yeah it's his favorite weapon as it seems. :lol

But I know if he is near a zone I throw some grenades his way and hope the mines explode.

Steroyd

I'm burnt out getting some food but dayum this is the second time in a row I went head to head with TTP which he duly owned me in the first dog fight.

Capture the flag was a bitch I kept trying to get in that bloody impenetrable fortress in the desert level wotsitsname, made worse that I had to camp at the flag if I succeeded in whoever held the flag curse you bloody_mar.

Oni Jazar

UnholySpectacle said:
Yes, because I disbanded the clan to see if I could restart it without any problems but by the time I got down near your name it was not letting me send invites again. I think more people got in on my first try. :(

US, I sen't you a friend invite a few days back. Can you invite people not on your friend's list? Might it help if they were?

Xater said:
Yeah it's his favorite weapon as it seems. :lol

But I know if he is near a zone I throw some grenades his way and hope the mines explode.

Great games on GAFu, I left but I'll be on later tonight.

Yeah I love my mines, but a well placed grenade usually kills me!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
UnholySpectacle said:
Invites went out on Wednesday night, but it only let me send out under half of the PSN IDs I had. Basically, if you happened to be on the first part of my list you got in, if not, you are out of luck till they patch it.

As temp. solution to the clan invite bug, why don't we create temporary wII, eII, & nII? We'll name the temp clans the same names as the original clan and they'll have the same clan tag. To lessen any confusion the temp. clan leader will not have any editing rights to the roster list and will have to communicate with the main clan leader on the status of clan invites and any other clan info. When the game gets patched the temp clan leader will disband his clan and the main clan leader will send out the remaining invites.

Xater

Killthee said:
As temp. solution to the clan invite bug, why don't we create temporary wII, eII, & nII? We'll name the temp clans the same names as the original clan and they'll have the same clan tag. To lessen any confusion the temp. clan leader will not have any editing rights to the roster list and will have to communicate with the main clan leader on the status of clan invites and any other clan info. When the game gets patched the temp clan leader will disband his clan and the main clan leader will send out the remaining invites.

Sounds like alot of work. I am for waiting till it works ;)

It's less a prob for GAFu as it seems. We have our server and everyone who now the pass can play together and that's just GAF people.

Jesus shit.

I was playing with some massive winners yesterday. CTF, nobody on our team is going after the flag. Then we get some people that can, and they're running off half cocked to capture the flag with no assistance. I would love to help, but I know my place in the game at this point; and it's not air support with a Warhawk.

Then we've got a ton of campers at the base just completely ignoring the douches that come in to steal the flag. They're just losing concentration / focus, and getting into a pistol fight against the team of Warhawk's that's tearing our base apart.

At one point the Blue team just infiltrated our own base to spite us. At which point I had to bust out the Charlie Bronson. If you're going to defend the god damn base, DEFEND IT!

AUGH!

Man, we were getting slaughtered, and deservedly so.

What is the trick to reclaiming your flag? It seems in game we just piled a group of four players on it and it would return. I couldn't find the details in the game manual.

Must play clan games, but I swear clan gaming is like having a bitch - errr, girlfriend. Plan. Schedule. Sundays in the park.

Also, can you use the SOCOM headset with this game? Stupid ass Bluetooth widget dies after a few hours use, bullshit!

Killthee

Xater said:

It's less a prob for GAFu as it seems. We have our server and everyone who now the pass can play together and that's just GAF people.

Yeah it does, but it sucks that half of the list is in limbo mode right now. How many invites have you sent?

kaching said:
I volunteer to try to setup eII if the clan leaders agree to this approach.

Noted, thanks for volunteering :D

irfan said:
I could be using the wrong keywords but tried that and of no use.

You could have typed up a response to one of the q rather than witty one-liner. I guess thats hip these days, huh? ;)
Considering that I've answered that question about 5 pages ago, no.

Killthee

The Take Out Bandit said:
Jesus shit.

I was playing with some massive winners yesterday. CTF, nobody on our team is going after the flag. Then we get some people that can, and they're running off half cocked to capture the flag with no assistance. I would love to help, but I know my place in the game at this point; and it's not air support with a Warhawk.

Then we've got a ton of campers at the base just completely ignoring the douches that come in to steal the flag. They're just losing concentration / focus, and getting into a pistol fight against the team of Warhawk's that's tearing our base apart.

At one point the Blue team just infiltrated our own base to spite us. At which point I had to bust out the Charlie Bronson. If you're going to defend the god damn base, DEFEND IT!

AUGH!

What is the trick to reclaiming your flag? It seems in game we just piled a group of four players on it and it would return. I couldn't find the details in the game manual.

Must play clan games, but I swear clan gaming is like having a bitch - errr, girlfriend. Plan. Schedule. Sundays in the park.

Also, can you use the SOCOM headset with this game? Stupid ass Bluetooth widget dies after a few hours use, bullshit!

You have to guard it until the amount of time the server has preset is reached (default is 20 seconds I believe). The more people you have guarding it, the less time it takes to return it. Zone capturing works very similar to this (the only difference is that the timer can't be changed by the server).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Weapon switching is starting to drive me crazy!

Anyways, someone throw me out a clan invite - Tigerheli. I'm tired of playing with retarded teammates!

cilonen

Jesus shit.

AUGH!

Heh! Yesterday in a game on the SCEA servers I dived on the back of a jeep with some random driver, a guy dives in the passenger seat, and the driver tears off at full speed, immediately turning the wrong way down a road and into a damage zone at full pelt, massacring all of us in seconds.

Steroyd

Jesus shit.

AUGH!

More people makes it go down quicker but man it's tense when you go rambo on your own defending the flag, and your like shit when are they coming, i'm very good at air support and i'm starting to get the hang of ground work need more practice on that.

Zone matches need uber teamwork, you need to keep your eye on the Zones you've captured as well as capture others, I was in a Zone match before and someone was going "someones taking Zone 7" didn't know shit where I was going though.

Mmmkay

Xater said:

Since I was unlucky in receiving an invite for GAFu, mind throwing a PM my way with the pass? :)

Killthee

commish said:
Weapon switching is starting to drive me crazy!

Anyways, someone throw me out a clan invite - Tigerheli. I'm tired of playing with retarded teammates!

Timezone?

Xater said:
About 30.

Good luck sending out the remaining invites : P

methane47

Quick Question... Does your radar signature disappear when you go into clouds?

Usually you can see the red/blue triangle above a warhawk in the sky but I've noticed that when inside clouds the triangle disappears.. Does this work for radar? and for Lockons as well?

kaching said:
I volunteer to try to setup eII if the clan leaders agree to this approach.

That is fine, I can send you my list of people who still need invites when I get home since I made it a notepad doc on my pc. I work till 8 so I should be home by 9 or so.

cilonen said:
Heh! Yesterday in a game on the SCEA servers I dived on the back of a jeep with some random driver, a guy dives in the passenger seat, and the driver tears off at full speed, immediately turning the wrong way down a road and into a damage zone at full pelt, massacring all of us in seconds.

THat really, really pisses me off. It's obviously a noob thing, but if you're driving fast enough, you simply can't turn around and get back out in time.

Certain death. :|

dralla said:
wow, according to the leader boards there's already over 45,000 people playing. to put than into perspective, socom 2 in it's prime had 30-40K players. that was with a huge PS2 install base

That's not current players though is it?

It's TOTAL players that have played in a ranked game.

I know because I saw some clan members in there pretty high up who clearly werent' online.

IMO, given that this is online only, it's likely reflective of total sales.

Unless I'm missing something very, very obvious.

Yixian

Banned
These uncounted scores are gonna be updated right? RIGHT? I just got the fucking Combat medal, that'll take me to Commander rank (after killing about 12 players with one TAU missile), I didn't get anywhere near that even in the beta.

Jesus, if I lose that medal... &^%*(^&%IU^

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
UnholySpectacle said:
That is fine, I can send you my list of people who still need invites when I get home since I made it a notepad doc on my pc. I work till 8 so I should be home by 9 or so.
Ok.

cilonen

Steroyd said:
More people makes it go down quicker but man it's tense when you go rambo on your own defending the flag, and your like shit when are they coming, i'm very good at air support and i'm starting to get the hang of ground work need more practice on that.

No kidding dude! The amount of times you either nailed me in a dogfight, or popped up from cover and dropped cluster bombs on us when we were defending the base. :lol

dionysus

Yaldog
GAFu server was fun, but I don't think I can play it much. I was getting bad lag spikes.

My impression on the game so far.

The good:
The core gameplay is really really good. Things seem fairly balanced. Plenty of incentive to play the foot soldier, get in vehicles, or fly warhawks. I am definitely a tank guy, but the game forces you to react dynamically. The best and most useful players are the ones who react to the situation, whether that be on foot, in a turret, or flying. Its very frustrating on the ranked games to see everyone hop in a warhawk and get in dogfights when we are playing zones!

The gameplay is very arcadey and really far from realistic. If you are a twitch speed FPS type multiplayer gamer, this game is not for you. CS diehards will not like it. It seems they intentionally made this game as noob friendly as possible, especially with some of the most helpful autoaim I have ever seen. However, this does not eliminate true skill from rising above the ranks. The flight game really distinguishes this title from other multiplayers. You can tell the largest amount of effort was put into flight, yet I do not feel the ground game suffers.

The bad:
Many people on this forum have been complaining about bugs, I am not going to mark the game down for bugs that will most likely get fixed soon. However, there is one thing that really detracts from the experience. Incognito has made one of the funnest battlefield type games I have ever played, but they seem to have forgotten that people like to play with friends. Joining games with friends is atrocious, as half the time the list isn't even updated. It still says I am playing GAFu server as of me writing this, I haven't played on GAFu for two hours. You can't tell if games are full if you want to jump in with friends. And don't think being in a clan is going to solve alot of problems. There are not enough ranked dedicated servers. So you will be stuck constantly trying and retrying to connect to full games in the hopes that someone drops out 10 seconds before you try to connect. So getting your clan mates in one server for actual rewards is pretty much impossible. Forget joining as a squad. These problems would only be annoyances if there were enough ranked servers, then you could join an almost empty one with alot of people, and let outsiders fill it up once they see its an active server. These flaws are especially unforgivable given that this is at its core a team based multiplayer.

Conclusion:
The core multiplayer experience is engaging, especially because of its well-balanced gameplay and excellent flight mechanics. But if you are the type of gamer who enjoys the team aspect (and this is a team game), you might want to hold off until they add a few DL content updates that strengthen then buddy list and clan options.

Some excellent games on the Gafu server. I'll be back on later but for now I'm just going to relax. Did anyone else switch teams at any point? We had a bit of a wtf moment in my first game with the blue team. We just couldn't capture a flag. Figured later (much later) that your flag needs to be in the base too. Oops. :lol

spwolf

Speevy said:
Warhawk bundle is on the EBGamestop charts.

People are buying this game.

looking at gamestop.com, it is sold out , and half of the stores in "my old" cali zip are out of stock too :).

So yes, thats probably why they are having issues with network, they sold shitload :).

Killthee

commish said:
Eastern. NYC!

Thanks.....

INTRODUCING GAFs (s, only to keep with the direction motif we've got going). The Jer will be leading the 4th N.A. clan; Commish is the first member. Remember, when asking for invites to post your PSN ID, GAF username, Timezone, and Location*.

*Location is optional.

UnholySpectacle said:

Why didn't you use the export feature in the editing mode of the spreadsheet (file -> export)? Are you having issues editing the spreadsheet?

dionysus said:
The bad:
Many people on this forum have been complaining about bugs, I am not going to mark the game down for bugs that will most likely get fixed soon. However, there is one thing that really detracts from the experience. Incognito has made one of the funnest battlefield type games I have ever played, but they seem to have forgotten that people like to play with friends. Joining games with friends is atrocious, as half the time the list isn't even updated. It still says I am playing GAFu server as of me writing this, I haven't played on GAFu for two hours. You can't tell if games are full if you want to jump in with friends. And don't think being in a clan is going to solve alot of problems. There are not enough ranked dedicated servers. So you will be stuck constantly trying and retrying to connect to full games in the hopes that someone drops out 10 seconds before you try to connect. So getting your clan mates in one server for actual rewards is pretty much impossible. Forget joining as a squad. These problems would only be annoyances if there were enough ranked servers, then you could join an almost empty one with alot of people, and let outsiders fill it up once they see its an active server. These flaws are especially unforgivable given that this is at its core a team based multiplayer.

Until they patch a party system we'll have to host our own ranked servers for clan nights. If we see somebody who is not in the clan, we can kick them out or ban them. If it's clan vs. anybody, we can manipulate the system using the kick/ban option and team switching to rig our team on one side. It's annoying as hell that there's no party system, but it can be overcome.

dionysus

Yaldog
spwolf said:
looking at gamestop.com, it is sold out , and half of the stores in "my old" cali zip are out of stock too :).

So yes, thats probably why they are having issues with network, they sold shitload :).

They need about 3 times as many sony servers it feels like.

Speevy said:
Knifemen are evil. I can shoot most of them to death, but in a closed space I'm finished.

Yeah, the game is so fast and floaty that I have a hard time getting knife kills. I think the game should have two hit knife kills instead of one. COD4 on the other hand is full of one hit kill knife fun.

dionysus

Yaldog
Killthee said:
Until they patch a party system we'll have to host our own ranked servers for clan nights. If we see somebody who is not in the clan, we can kick them out or ban them. If it's clan vs. anybody, we can manipulate the system using the kick/ban option and team switching to rig our team on one side. It's annoying as hell that there's no party system, but it can be overcome.

I realize this. But in essence this is a work around. I wish they had designed for it in the mechanics of creating and joining games.

burnfout

LOL a friend of mine came over with 2 sixpacks of beer, so our mood was set!

I showed him the game, and he tried all the different on foot weapons, of course kniving two people in the process :)

I'm sorry guys!

DrXym

As I speak, the EU login is screwed. The usage policy agreement is blank followed "The authentication server is not responding. Please check your network connection and try again." message. Very annoying.

Killthee said:
Why didn't you use the export feature in the editing mode of the spreadsheet (file -> export)? Are you having issues editing the spreadsheet?

No issues, I just made a file quickly listing people who I sent invites to but did not have the game yet, and another list of people who I could not send invites too. I found it easier to type them quickly in another file than copy and past each PSN ID from the file.

WTFing

Banned
freethought said:
Wtfing did the same to me! :lol
sorry man, shame on me :lol It was hilarious, I killed you like a real traitor, with a knife while you were fighting a warhawk! :lol I am kind of lost on the ground ;(
We had a nice game on the GAFu server, thanks TTP for setting up everything.
Where's my warhawk, let me fly !!!

Top Bottom