• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
nerbo said:
Did that, no dice. :(
Looks like something is wrong with your PS3's OS. You may have to reformat everything.

BTW files can and do get corrupted via Wireless and Wired connections. It is the same for PS3, 360 and Mac so no need to bring that up.

Tideas

Banned
try downloading it through wired?

The reasoning for the wireless is actually a pretty good one. Just cuz it never happen before, doesn't mean it can't. A lot of stuff can interfere with wireless signals depending on the world at the time.

Core407

Banned
dralla said:
well I just got done playing a 2 hour session. some really good games [and some bad ones]. why don't people understand that if more people stand on the flag, it goes back quicker. I swear to god every CTF game my team left me returning the flag by myself.

I've noticed that the quality of the game is completely based on teamwork skills. I've had really lame experiences strictly because my teamates didn't play the game type properly.

garrickk

Alex said:
I'm on it right now.
I'm leaving now to go back to work but I saw Alex all alone in the server. You had a ping of 90. Where are you located? The server is in Portland, OR, and I have 1Mbps of upload bandwidth typically. Of course, bandwidth doesn't directly speak to the efficiency and latency out of my general server local.

ME said:
I put up a dedicated, unranked practice server for the afternoon - 20 people max with 5 Zone maps and 5 CTF maps in order.

Name: GAF_Practice_Zone/CTF
Password: all lower case characters - the name of our best player during the beta (immortalized) who is currently banned. Starts with c. Too many guest lurkers know the other password.

I'll be gone until this evening so I hope it stays up and the settings are good.
Edit: Safe_Bet joined and his ping was reporting as 0. Escalation's ping was 60, and Alex/Blue Remedy's ping was 85.

If you could, please note your ping average while the server load is light, and as more people join, check to see if you ping is elevating too much. It will let me know if a server I'm hosting is choaking at a certain player limit beyond what the game lets me host.

My Tale of Woe (warning, long post)

long post, ha! I'll show you how to make a long post!

Does suck to hear about your experience though. As of late, Sony's technical support has been outstanding and great overall. Perhaps now that there are SO many people online, more technical issues flood through and this turns to more frustration

methane47

dralla said:
well I just got done playing a 2 hour session. some really good games [and some bad ones]. why don't people understand that if more people stand on the flag, it goes back quicker. I swear to god every CTF game my team left me returning the flag by myself.

I really dislike teammates in CTF matches so far.. They dont know how to return the flag.. they dont know how to score... they also dont even try defending the flag.. they just jump in Warhawks and get shot down by top guns on the other side Repeatedly...

nerbo

Tideas said:
try downloading it through wired?

The reasoning for the wireless is actually a pretty good one. Just cuz it never happen before, doesn't mean it can't. A lot of stuff can interfere with wireless signals depending on the world at the time.

Can't, don't have a cable that long or a TV close enough to the router to make it happen. Seems unlikely to me that it would be corrupted by wireless both times I download it though. I am downloading it a 3rd time right now.

Tideas

Banned
nerbo said:
Can't, don't have a cable that long or a TV close enough to the router to make it happen. Seems unlikely to me that it would be corrupted by wireless both times I download it though. I am downloading it a 3rd time right now.

careful not to use up all 5 downloads, haha. u might have to do a reformat . just back up everything

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
garrickk said:
Yep. They made no improvements to the interface since the beta. I'm disgusted by this, actually.

During the beta there were frequent requests for a party system like Resistance - no response. They don't have a seamless system of generating new servers instances when one fills up, so this is unlikely to occur until then. There were also frequent request for squads.

I assumed the server filter options would improve - and requested that during the beta. Nope.

I can't quickly skip through a long list of servers by page with a shoulder button? Did they not predict a lot of servers eventually? Did they plan for failure? Their inept filter options weren't going to save the day.

And of course, the servers don't accurately report their "current" stats/availability. You might as well throw a dart at this point. I don't know how often the individual servers report their status to the main server, but it's not often.

I'm very sorry, but these issues will frustrate all of the casuals and single-handedly prevent this game from being a classic.

I've said it before: the Unreal Tournament III server interface will DESTROY Warhawk's.

This just highlights what an amazing achievement Resistance was at launch.

Dont worry about those improvements. They will come. They could not add features to the server thingy code during the beta as the beta was mostly intented to test stuff already set in stone if u get what I mean. But all the rest has been taked note of and will definetly come with the first update. This is what I understood talking with Dylan Jobe at E3.

garrickk

dralla said:
During the beta, the default time for return of a flag was 10 seconds. They've upped the default to 20 seconds. That's a long time to return a flag! If you have 3 people by the flag, it should still take 6.7 seconds. Tough.

It should be a lot easier to capture a flag inch-by-inch; if the game is very tight, just commit suicide by grabbing the flag and advancing it as far as you can. It advances the flag and resets the return clock for your opponents. Hopefully, after your valiant sacrifice, someone else can grab it for a bit before they get 20 "player seconds" on it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
methane47 said:
I really dislike teammates in CTF matches so far.. They dont know how to return the flag.. they dont know how to score... they also dont even try defending the flag.. they just jump in Warhawks and get shot down by top guns on the other side Repeatedly...

BTW, for those that dont know it (and there are plenty): you can pass the flag (actually drop it) pressing Triangle. Very useful for ambushes :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
garrickk said:
During the beta, the default time for return of a flag was 10 seconds. They've upped the default to 20 seconds. That's a long time to return a flag! If you have 3 people by the flag, it should still take 6.7 seconds. Tough.

Beautiful indeed. Basically makes the flag a gathering place for fights always moving around the map. I LOVE IT.

It should be a lot easier to capture a flag inch-by-inch; if the game is very tight, just commit suicide by grabbing the flag and advancing it as far as you can. It advances the flag and resets the return clock for your opponents. Hopefully, after your valiant sacrifice, someone else can grab it for a bit before they get 20 "player seconds" on it.

Exactly. Isn't that awesome?

ndiicm

Jtrizzy said:
if anyone cares...I already pm'ed Varshes, but I'm in GAFn and I changed my GAF handle to match my PSN.

my GAF handle was Trout, but is now Jtrizzy, as is my PSN.
how did you change your gaf handle? i need to change mine to match my psn: ndiicm

Arsenic

dralla said:
wow, according to the leader boards there's already over 45,000 people playing. to put than into perspective, socom 2 in it's prime had 30-40K players. that was with a huge PS2 install base
well you mean socom 2 in its prime had 30-40k on at the same time. i still dont think warhawk has those numbers. but warhawk numbers are still impressive, especially with the install base.

methane47

nerbo said:

Well buy one.... just buy a 100ft cable from Walmart... delete the existing data download again... if it still doesn't work return the cable to walmart.. it isn't that hard

nerbo

methane47 said:
Well buy one.... just buy a 100ft cable from Walmart... delete the existing data download again... if it still doesn't work return the cable to walmart.. it isn't that hard

I'm having a hard time seeing how this one particular file could be corrupt multiple times when other downloads on the same system are fine, other files/games on other devices over the same network are all fine. Wireless isn't some caveman technology with no error checking on the packets. The game should have a checksum to verify that it is ok when you download/install (I imagine pretty damn likely).

garrickk

TTP said:
Dont worry about those improvements. They will come. They could not add features to the server thingy code during the beta as the beta was mostly intented to test stuff already set in stone if u get what I mean. But all the rest has been taked note of and will definetly come with the first update. This is what I understood talking with Dylan Jobe at E3.
Dylan made a few comments in response to complaints during the beta of many improvements they made in their code branch post beta release that couldn't be worked into the patch. I'm an engineer, I use Subversion SVN to manage shared code, I know what it's like to use branching, multi-user, development repositories and tools. I get that.

But, they should have unified their code branch post beta release, then frozen bulk improvements at some point and focused on bugs/glitches/etc. Where are the changes he alluded to during the beta? I only see weapon tweaks and some slightly sharper graphics and audio. Maybe they are still outside the current branch because they wanted to make sure they had their game out before the Fall's big titles? Of course I don't know their time schedule

All that said, I have a policy of never expecting improvements in commercial code until I get them, or at least see an official announcement.

1-D_FTW

I had a problem that sounds almost exactly the same with Twisted Metal: Black. I anxiously awaited my free Twisted Metal: Black for purchasing the Sony Network Adapter and then when it came, it did the same exact thing. Never got to play a single game with it. Only Sony game that never worked for me. Only online game, actually, that's never worked for me. Funny enough, both are developed by the same company. Would be spitting nails, however, if I dropped the money on a DRM restricted game that was completely worthless as a result.

Steroyd

TTP said:
BTW, for those that dont know it (and there are plenty): you can pass the flag (actually drop it) pressing Triangle. Very useful for ambushes :D

Wait a minute you mean to say when I went on suicidal runs in The bandit map to catch the flag you was playing pass the parcel?

Bah.

One thing I've haven't got used to is when you're on foot and lots of Warhawks are blowing up around your ass is that there's no shockwave or damage to you on foot I flinch and it puts me off.

sk3tch

Sorry to hear that...and I'm sorry to hear how Sony has handled it thus far. I think it's ridiculous that downloadable games are non-refundable like this. We're helping Sony make more money...yet we're losing more rights in the process. I love the convenience of downloadable titles...but not when consumers lose rights like this.

KGKK

Banned
Are the servers down? Please don't tell me they're down for today, I cancelled my Friday night plans with my buddies to stay and play me some WowHawk!:(

vdo

Tideas said:
careful not to use up all 5 downloads, haha. u might have to do a reformat . just back up everything

Aren't the 5 downloads a limitation of how many different machines you can download to from your account? I thought you could download on your same machine as many times as you want.

KGKK

Banned
dralla said:
they're up

Then why can't connect? The usage policy comes up as blank and when I accept, it goes "The authentication server is not responding. Please check your network connection and try again". There is nothing wrong with my network connection as I can get into the PSN store just fine.

Steroyd

How do you get a negative score I don't know why but in my last match I got negative 5 must have zoned out because all I did was blow up whatever moved on the other team.

Then again I do get easily confused in CTF where the red team holds the blue flag and vice versa.

freshair

KGKK said:
Then why can't connect? The usage policy comes up as blank and when I accept, it goes "The authentication server is not responding. Please check your network connection and try again". There is nothing wrong with my network connection as I can get into the PSN store just fine.

^Ditto. I'm having the same problems.

nerbo

sk3tch said:
Sorry to hear that...and I'm sorry to hear how Sony has handled it thus far. I think it's ridiculous that downloadable games are non-refundable like this. We're helping Sony make more money...yet we're losing more rights in the process. I love the convenience of downloadable titles...but not when consumers lose rights like this.

If they can provide a fix in timely fashion or a refund, I will be fine with it. The argument of a corrupted file really holds no water, regardless of connection, because upon run and especially upon connection online (which it does, thus the user agreement popping up), there is a file authentication process. If I am going to continue to get this response, Sony needs to answer why their service lacks this basic and fundamental functionality.

rc213

As a last resort you could always try and play the game with the PS3 connected directly to your modem and see if it still locks up. If it does then it definitely not something with the network and it's probably something wrong with your HD/PS3.

ndiicm

freshair said:
^Ditto. I'm having the same problems.

Yep im also having the same problem. Whats the point of buying a game you can't play? Great game but it looks like they are dropping the ball.

No party system?
Clan invite errors?
Can't tell who is talking to you. No indicator on screen(there is one over the person talking sometimes but what if you can't see them?).
Not enough servers.

It's too bad. I hope they fix this soon.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
vdo said:
Aren't the 5 downloads a limitation of how many different machines you can download to from your account? I thought you could download on your same machine as many times as you want.

Correct. I don't know how people get "you can only download 5 times" from "only 5 systems can be activated at the same time"...

nerbo

rc213 said:
As a last resort you could always try and play the game with the PS3 connected directly to your modem and see if it still locks up. If it does then it definitely not something with the network and it's probably something wrong with your HD/PS3.

If that were the case, I'd expect other PS3 online functions to misbehave as well, but other files/games are fine.

Wow that sucks.

The game, I purchased the disk version, locked up on my today while playing. Sound was going, but video was not. Control did not respond either.

I was pissed, so I didn't even bother trying to reset the system; I just hit the kill switch on the rear as a congratulatory "F@CK YOU!" to the god damn game.

Hopefully next time I boot it works. :p

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I just got my copy of EGM, wow the Warhawk foldout ad on the front is friggin awesome i almost want to rip it out and use it as a poster.

REV 09

shagg_187 said:
Seriously. No offense, but they should have used Matchmaking system the way resistance uses. Way too easy and convenient. No hassle at all.
now you know why people have been clamoring about party systems since the halo 2 days. It makes 0 sense why devs just don't copy the party system formula. Halo 2 started it...Resistance followed. Shadowrun has it, Halo 3 obviously has it, and CoD 4 will have it as well. Devs seem to be getting the hint, but this shit should have been standard yesterday.

Top Bottom