• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

ugh

Screw this.

Just want to play a game without the server shitting on me.

Join a new game.

Go to take a Warhawk for a spin, PoS3 locks up. Totally. No home button response, nothing.

I'm also just going to keep the headset off when not playing with people I know. It's a complete waste of time, since I don't know who I'm ever talking to; so I'm unable to go "Hey guy that was just complimenting me on my sniping, read your name to me so I can add you to my friends list later lolz!" Yeah, this game needs a patch so you can see who the fuck you're talking to, so in the event you run into players that rock; you can bloat your 50 person friends list in no time!

I'm going to take a bath and jerk off. The only game that I can rely on to relieve stress and not lose connection to the server.

User 406

Banned
Great games on the GAFu server guys. I managed to tag Escalation a few times, but man he just comes out of fucking nowhere. XD

More and more it's looking like we should just say screw the clan designators for now, and just use private servers like GAFu. We all post here, a password is easy to set up, once Incognito fixes the problem then we could worry about actual clans. It seems like using the forum is an easier way to set up clan matches anyway. :p

spwolf

DrXym said:
As I speak, the EU login is screwed. The usage policy agreement is blank followed "The authentication server is not responding. Please check your network connection and try again." message. Very annoying.

you need to try several times...

I honestly wish they started you off with those other homing missiles instead of the sidewinders. Missile locks every 30 seconds are starting to piss me off.

ex0du5

Banned
KGKK said:
Today was my last day of work since my co-op term has ended. Got to leave work early today with pay:D Anyways any GAF games up right now?

I just finished my coop work term too :D.

I'm studying at uOttawa, what about you?

Jtrizzy

if anyone cares...I already pm'ed Varshes, but I'm in GAFn and I changed my GAF handle to match my PSN.

my GAF handle was Trout, but is now Jtrizzy, as is my PSN.

Grayman

I covered this 1000 posts ago
dionysus said:
as half the time the list isn't even updated. It still says I am playing GAFu server as of me writing this, I haven't played on GAFu for two hours. Y

Grayman said:
Dionysus, Mushashi, and I had some good games on a SCEA-Vari server tonight.

By the way guys, it is good to "flush" the server you were playing on after you quit. If you aren't starting a new game "logout" to the main menu(online, local, options) so you don't show as still playing on a server. I've tested it on my own account, I was shown on a server for a long time on the clan page while I was reading the clanpage and my stats.

garrickk

dionysus said:
The bad:
Many people on this forum have been complaining about bugs, I am not going to mark the game down for bugs that will most likely get fixed soon. However, there is one thing that really detracts from the experience. Incognito has made one of the funnest battlefield type games I have ever played, but they seem to have forgotten that people like to play with friends. Joining games with friends is atrocious, as half the time the list isn't even updated. It still says I am playing GAFu server as of me writing this, I haven't played on GAFu for two hours. You can't tell if games are full if you want to jump in with friends. And don't think being in a clan is going to solve alot of problems. There are not enough ranked dedicated servers. So you will be stuck constantly trying and retrying to connect to full games in the hopes that someone drops out 10 seconds before you try to connect. So getting your clan mates in one server for actual rewards is pretty much impossible. Forget joining as a squad. These problems would only be annoyances if there were enough ranked servers, then you could join an almost empty one with alot of people, and let outsiders fill it up once they see its an active server. These flaws are especially unforgivable given that this is at its core a team based multiplayer.
Yep. They made no improvements to the interface since the beta. I'm disgusted by this, actually.

During the beta there were frequent requests for a party system like Resistance - no response. They don't have a seamless system of generating new servers instances when one fills up, so this is unlikely to occur until then. There were also frequent request for squads.

I assumed the server filter options would improve - and requested that during the beta. Nope.

I can't quickly skip through a long list of servers by page with a shoulder button? Did they not predict a lot of servers eventually? Did they plan for failure? Their inept filter options weren't going to save the day.

And of course, the servers don't accurately report their "current" stats/availability. You might as well throw a dart at this point. I don't know how often the individual servers report their status to the main server, but it's not often.

I'm very sorry, but these issues will frustrate all of the casuals and single-handedly prevent this game from being a classic.

I've said it before: the Unreal Tournament III server interface will DESTROY Warhawk's.

This just highlights what an amazing achievement Resistance was at launch.

methane47

DoctorWho said:
I honestly wish they started you off with those other homing missiles instead of the sidewinders. Missile locks every 30 seconds are starting to piss me off.

Actually the missles that you start off with lock on almost immediately. and every beep after the first one adds an additional missle to the lock on que. So it takes a couple seconds to lock on all 5 swarm missles but you can fire from the very first one..

Which is actually a pretty good idea since the first one usually takes out a person's chaffs or depletes their turbo at which time you lock on again this time with all five.. and boom.. Death by warhead

Aleman

garrickk said:
Yep. They made no improvements to the interface since the beta. I'm disgusted by this, actually.

During the beta there were frequent requests for a party system like Resistance - no response. They don't have a seamless system of generating new servers instances when one fills up, so this is unlikely to occur until then.

I assumed the server filter options would improve - and requested that during the beta. Nope.

I can't quickly skip through a long list of servers by page with a shoulder button? Did they not predict a lot of servers eventually? Did they plan for failure? Their inept filter options weren't going to save the day.

And of course, the servers don't accurately report their "current" stats/availability. You might as well throw a dart at this point. I don't know how often the individual servers report their status to the main server, but it's not often.

I'm very sorry, but these issues will frustrate all of the casuals and single-handedly prevent this game from being a classic.

I've said it before: the Unreal Tournament III server interface will DESTROY Warhawk's.

This just highlights what an amazing achievement Resistance was at launch.

Yup, as much as I love this game, I just tried to log in to SCEA servers for 10 minutes with no luck and ended up just shutting off my PS3 in frustration :(

methane47 said:
Actually the missles that you start off with lock on almost immediately. and every beep after the first one adds an additional missle to the lock on que. So it takes a couple seconds to lock on all 5 swarm missles but you can fire from the very first one..

Which is actually a pretty good idea since the first one usually takes out a person's chaffs or depletes their turbo at which time you lock on again this time with all five.. and boom.. Death by warhead

That is the problem. You're constantly dealing with missile locks and it is starting to get repetitive. The homing missiles at least start you with only 3 and take much longer to lock on forcing you to rely on your guns far more to deplete their energy.

Bugnology said:
sorry man, shame on me :lol It was hilarious, I killed you like a real traitor, with a knife while you were fighting a warhawk! :lol I am kind of lost on the ground ;(
We had a nice game on the GAFu server, thanks TTP for setting up everything.
Where's my warhawk, let me fly !!!

I just wish you could have seen the look on my face. I couldn't obviously, but I'm sure it was priceless. :lol

So far my all time favourite thing to do is enter a mad aerial pursuit using nothing but machine guns. The worst part was when none of the flag carriers would wing walk. We need a server solely for messing around in. Doing shit like the Top Gun trick. I'd host it but I'm capped at four players.

I'm going to head back on in a minute. Not sure for how long though.

edit: no headset though, it's charging.

Grayman

R2 goes down a page, R1 goes up.

L1 and L2 instantly go to the top or bottom and piss me right off

Bebpo

Banned
Gafu server had 0/20 last time I checked?

Do we even have 20 people who own the game here in this thread? Would be nice to arrange a time when everyone can get on together.

Grayman

garrickk said:
Crap, I really though I tried every button. I suck.
Thats alright, you are spot on about the other complaints, I am just helping you find servers by name or that aren't giving bullshit pings of 0,1, and ???? faster.

OatmealMu said:
I think I know what you're talking about. It was a PC game. IIRC, it mixed shooter and RTS elements. You could build turrets and various other things on your island. I think the islands could actually move, too.

Wait, is this it?

172fs326566.jpg

It's called Project Nomads.
OH MY GOD. Thank you SO much, I was on the verge of insanity trying to remember what that god damm game was. I had always thought it was cancelled though, wikipedia tells me otherwise. I guess it turned out to be dud and disappeared into obscurity before I could play it. It’s a shame because I was really hyped for it at the time.

EekTheKat

I played a couple guys from GAFn on a Sony server and had fun :lol I managed to somehow bumble my way into top slot on the Red Team in one match despite getting our collective asses kicked.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Safe Bet said:
HOLY FUCK

Good luck trying to get on a Ranked Server...

Seriously. I guess they underestimated demand? People with PS3s are hungry from something fun to play online besides Resistance (as great as it is).

Guileless said:
Seriously. I guess they underestimated demand? People with PS3s are hungry from something fun to play online besides Resistance (as great as it is).

Seriously. No offense, but they should have used Matchmaking system the way resistance uses. Way too easy and convenient. No hassle at all.

garrickk

I put up a dedicated, unranked practice server for the afternoon - 20 people max with 5 Zone maps and 5 CTF maps in order.

Name: GAF_Practice_Zone/CTF
Password: all lower case characters - the name of our best player during the beta (immortalized) who is currently banned. Starts with c. Too many guest lurkers know the other password.

I'll be gone until this evening so I hope it stays up and the settings are good.

WTFing

Banned
Bebpo said:
Gafu server had 0/20 last time I checked?

Do we even have 20 people who own the game here in this thread? Would be nice to arrange a time when everyone can get on together.
I see 2/20, but when I try to join I get "Join Failed - Game is full"
Even when someone provide a dedicated server, you can't play! They need to patch their game.

Alex

im on the practice server trying to learn how to fly properly. :( I am trying out pro flight and man, it's makin me dizzy!

Safe Bet

Banned
Ugh...

Just tried joing ranked for about 30 mins only to give up in frustration.

Then when I do give in and join an unranked game, the player hosted game fucking lagged...

please fixxy

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Alex said:
im on the practice server trying to learn how to fly properly. :( I am trying out pro flight and man, it's makin me dizzy!

hitting triangle twice to go in and out of hover mode is a good way to orient yourself if you get dizzy. It will briefly make you vulnerable, but can be useful. Kind of like jump canceling in Virtual On.

nerbo

On Tuesday, I downloaded WarHawk for my PS3. After installing the game, I got to play it twice that day. Everytime I try to connect online since then, the game freezes my PS3. At the "Processing Login..." screen, the display freezes, the music continues and the controller becomes unresponsive in any manner. I can only reset the PS3 at this point by turning off the main power switch on the back. This happens now every single time I try to play the game online. Nothing about my network has changed.

Today, I call Playstation Support and tell them about my problem. They ask me if I have tried deleting then reinstalling the program, which I have. I am then given a range of port numbers for my router to ensure are accessible and not blocked as well as asked to enable UPnP. At this point, I use the port numbers they give me, but I do not enable UPnP, as I am quite familiar with it being an automatic setup protocol that is A) not required and B) known for insecurity issues.

The game still freezes in the same way at the same spot. I call back and explain this to another representative, who says that I need to enable UPnP. I explain UPnP to them, how it works and how I have a Wii, a 360 and a Mac all connected to my WiFi network, none of which have ever used UPnP a single time and no game or application on any of those has ever had a problem. I am told that I need to enable it and not doing so is of my own choice and there's nothing they can do for me.

I admit, this is a point where I get angry. I do not yell, swear, or belittle, but I am sure my tone was quite rude, because I do not appreciate being told I don't know what I am talking about when the person on the other line who is simply reading a script obviously doesn't know what they are talking about!

I request a refund for the download. I am told this is not possible and that it is of my own choice not to follow the game's requirements. I state that nowhere in the terms of use you accept prior to attempting to log on does it state any requirement for UPnP, nor have I ever used another product by Sony or otherwise that does. The rep then says to me that they may not be legally required to write that in the contract, but that UPnP is required and thus it is my user error, not a fault of the game. I say, "frankly that is bullshit, I want to talk to a manager please."

I am placed on hold for a few minutes and the rep comes back and asks me for a number that the supervisor can reach me at as well as a time. I ask if they are available on weekends and the rep says, "I just need a time, I don't know if he will call you back this weekend or Monday, he is very busy." I explain that I work double shifts on weekends so I am trying to establish a time that I can be available, which she ignores, again asking me for a time. I say afternoons and she says she will have him call be back in an afternoon when he is available and hangs up.

Wow.

At this point, I go back to my router, and just temporarily, to appease them, even though I know otherwise already, I enable UPnP, reset the PS3 again, make sure UPnP is available in the settings menu... And I restart the game.

I select "Online" - I accept the user agreement - The "Processing login..." screen comes... and freeze.

I call Playstation support again and tell them that I have completed their arbitrary step and the error is still there. This representative is thankfully much more pleasant than the last. She asks me an array of questions about my network, none of which prove of use or conclusion in conversation. She asks me if I've downloaded the game over wired or wireless ethernet and if I can do so with a wired connection, which I reply I cannot, because I do not have a TV near the router 2 rooms away or a cable long enough. She states that sometimes, large file downloads can become corrupted over a wireless setting and that perhaps a wired connection could fix this. (Funny, I never have such a problem with 1GB+ 360 downloads, or downloads over WiFi to my Mac..) She is out of suggestions. There's nothing left to try. The game is not working. I again request a refund for the product which I paid for which does not work for whatever reason (albiet maybe an uncommon occurrence, I do not know, but truth none-the-less). She states she's not authorized for that and it's not something they can do, but reiterates that I am scheduled for a manager's call back and we politely end the call.

I am not impressed. At. All. Anyone else experiencing this problem or similar (both with the freezing of the game and the run around by support staff?) I know these poor people have a lot of types of people to deal with on support lines, but blatant lies and avoidance is really poor. I'm being forced to pay for a defective product here. Everything else on my PS3 thus far (Folding, Web, Store, downloads, etc.) works just fine.

DrXym

spwolf said:
you need to try several times...

I tried about 5 times and got in eventually. I have to say that the Warhawk login, followed by the countless "server full" messages are not a good first impression on users. I wish the system would allow you to say "log me into any CTF game" so that it would round-robin until something let you in. Having to do it manually is quite frustrating.

Safe Bet

Banned
garrickk said:
I put up a dedicated, unranked practice server for the afternoon - 20 people max with 5 Zone maps and 5 CTF maps in order.

Name: GAF_Practice_Zone/CTF
Password: all lower case characters - the name of our best player during the beta (immortalized) who is currently banned. Starts with c. Too many guest lurkers know the other password.

I'll be gone until this evening so I hope it stays up and the settings are good.
I don't see it...

Does anyone else?

dralla

well I just got done playing a 2 hour session. some really good games [and some bad ones]. why don't people understand that if more people stand on the flag, it goes back quicker. I swear to god every CTF game my team left me returning the flag by myself.

Top Bottom