• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Honestly i dont want a match making system for this game. I like being able to join any server i want at any time, baring the servers that set "only x rank can join."
I like the counter strike server method, which warhawk is very similar to.

LJ11

Got into a Sony Server after a bouncing around on random servers for an hour or so, and man this game is awesome. Addicting as fuck. No matter how many times they shot me down, I kept going back for more. Played for over two hours straight, my eyes are shot because of how intense some of the dog fighting was. Love this game.

nerbo

Killthee said:
Have you tried deleting the save file under the Save Data Utility folder?

I just deleted the game and save file and reinstalled it (again) though and I was able to make it passed the screen that kept freezing. I then disconnected, quit the game, started it again and it made it passed that point a 2nd time. *crosses fingers*

I've been playing on dogfighting ranked servers for an hour and I've been finishing in the top 4 on average.

The way I see it they definitely need to switch out the sidewinders with the homing missiles. This will lower the amount of "missile locks" that you encounter in flight and put a far greater emphasis on guns and positioning. Maybe even up the damage that the guns do by a slight margin so that people wont be consistently using missiles at close range.

Also, I've found myself relying on air mines for the majority of my kills. I know have more air mine kills on ranked servers than rifle or side winder kills. That is a bit silly when you think about it but when you're constantly under missile lock they do give you an advantage.

In non-dogfighting games, my stats tend to indicate that missile turrets kill me the most. I think that they should be gimped just a bit. With missile locks on the air plus turrets plus any joe with a rocket launcher... it is missile lock hell. The missiles from the turret stay with you no matter how much dodging you do.

Ashhong

DoctorWho said:
The missiles from the turret stay with you no matter how much dodging you do.

Not always. I found that once i switched to pro mode, i was able to dodge them pretty often. once, i shot at least 3 locked on missiles from the turret, and this person dodged them all. pissed me off =/

garrickk

Ashhong said:
any organized games tonight? i only see like 2 gafw members on at a time...
I put up a dedicated, unranked practice server for the afternoon - 20 people max with 5 Zone maps and 5 CTF maps in order.

Name: GAF_Practice_Zone/CTF
Password: all lower case characters - the name of our best player during the beta (immortalized) who is currently banned. Starts with c. Too many guest lurkers know the other password.

I'll be gone until this evening so I hope it stays up and the settings are good. BTW, the server is in Portland, OR.

Alex

Fun games, Manky, and everyone else. My headset battery died so I couldn't say anything though, bleh, recharging now, I'll bbl.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I was so tempted to pull out my CC at the store yesterday and buy this game.

But I'm broke.

And I don't have the time.

I'm sad :(

Pimpwerx

Guys! Pertinent decision to be made here. I NEED Warhawk, but I don't know whether to get the dload version or retail version. I do not need a BT headset, I have a Jabra 250v. I won't be talking much anyway, since I need to get a replacement gel insert for it. It is just me and my gf. I don't know anyone else around my apt with a PS3, so I'll mostly be gaming online. I don't know if that matters. Is there a reason to get the retail version, or should I go ahead and setup my PSN pay account? PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, add MastaKiiLA if you can handle a heavy dose of shit-talking and highly-informed chatter.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Pimpwerx said:
Guys! Pertinent decision to be made here. I NEED Warhawk, but I don't know whether to get the dload version or retail version. I do not need a BT headset, I have a Jabra 250v. I won't be talking much anyway, since I need to get a replacement gel insert for it. It is just me and my gf. I don't know anyone else around my apt with a PS3, so I'll mostly be gaming online. I don't know if that matters. Is there a reason to get the retail version, or should I go ahead and setup my PSN pay account? PEACE.

The only reason to get the retail is if you need a mic or if you want/need to play with different user accounts/PSN ID's (dl is tied to your PSN ID).

nerbo

Pimpwerx said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, add MastaKiiLA if you can handle a heavy dose of shit-talking and highly-informed chatter.

From my tortured experience (which seems to be the minority), I'd advise the retail version. 15 minutes ago everything finally seemed to be fine, but now it froze again. I guess I spoke too soon... sigh...

Alex

I'd just get the PSN version if you already have a headset.

I didn't have a headset, and I like having the box to put on a shelf (even if I hate game collecting, its nice to have all the packaging for what I do have), so that was my reasoning.

The retail disc also have some mediocre trailers you can probably find online and a making of (which I haven't watched yet) which will probably be put online somewhere soon enough.

Clouseau

nerbo said:
From my tortured experience (which seems to be the minority), I'd advise the retail version. 15 minutes ago everything finally seemed to be fine, but now it froze again. I guess I spoke too soon... sigh...

If you read the official Warhawk forums there are plenty of people having freezing issues on the bluray version also. Although most seem to be able to actually play a game before it freezes.

calder

Had a very fun few CTF games on some random server. Have to stop to have supper and shit, but I'll be on most of the weekend I bet. :lol

Man, one round my team owned the map, we all had + kills and we still lost 1-0 as they had a lucky jeep run and my team was all hunting down easy kills at the time. Embarrassing, especially as I had a chance to get the flag runner but messed it up since my hover mode had U/D inverted. Man was I mad.

One cool thing I learned though next round, if you fire a TOW you *can* see your flag, so I TOWed the living bejebus out of the guys when they tried that quick jeep run cap strategy. That was fun as hell

Alex

Every time I try to use a TOW I get shot down.

Hell, I should face it, every time I take off the damn landing pad I get shot down within 30 seconds.

I'm pretty good at the ground combat, but I actually dont care for the Warhawks much, haha.

dralla

what does everyone think the best [and worst] gametype/map combo's are? maybe we could make an 'official' GAF game rotation of all the popular scenario's? I like CTF on Destroyed Capital, the one where the flags are on the 2nd floor in each of the buildings. I hate the mid-sized CTF on Badlands..3 turrets on each base, 2 more in the middle..it makes the Warhawks worthless since you'll get shot down immediately.

Xater

dralla said:
what does everyone think the best [and worst] gametype/map combo's are? maybe we could make an 'official' GAF game rotation of all the popular scenario's? I like CTF on Destroyed Capital, the one where the flags are on the 2nd floor in each of the buildings. I hate the mid-sized CTF on Badlands..3 turrets on each base, 2 more in the middle..it makes the Warhawks worthless since you'll get shot down immediately.

CTF is fun on every map I think and I hate TDM except if it is only Warhawks. This game was not made for TDM...

Xater said:
CTF is fun on every map I think and I hate TDM except if it is only Warhawks. This game was not made for TDM...

In most land TDM games everyone ends up jumping into warhawks or turrets.

dralla

Yea I hate the DM games too. Objective games only for me. I played a really good game of Zones on Badlands...everyone was battling for one of the neutral spots in the middle..it was like 4 tanks, 4 warhawks, 2 jeeps, and a bunch of ground troops. there was so much shit going on I just sat back and watched in awe

Just had some fantastic games on gafu. Arkestra got unfairly screwed in a 2 on 1 CTF game but then some more people joined and it got real interesting. After scraping a win in Zones thanks to some excellent communication, we dominated in CTF. You were everywhere you needed to be TTP, and Raist is deadly when defending a jeep from the air. The one capture the other team got was mainly due to my dire map reading skills. If anyone ever see's me in a jeep or tank, it's best that you just back away. Those maps just make me crazy, I end up driving in circles.

Man, TTP was driving, I was gunning and Arkestra was on our asses, that was an intense chase, he got us in the end though. :lol

Anyway, fantastic games. Gafu is going to be deadly.

dralla said:
Yea I hate the DM games too. Objective games only for me. I played a really good game of Zones on Badlands...everyone was battling for one of the neutral spots in the middle..it was like 4 tanks, 4 warhawks, 2 jeeps, and a bunch of ground troops. there was so much shit going on I just sat back and watched in awe

I can't do that :lol I have the map constantly maximized, looking for zone radius being increased/decreased. When its decreasing or increasing, i run towards it and contribute to it.

ATF487

Got into a 32 player match, it was fucking awesome; my brightest moment was throwing a grenade at a buggy and having it blow up, then seeing a teammate take out a warhawk with his tank.

This is a very fun game

exarkun

Quick question: I don't know the password for the gaf server and Im not in a clan yet cause of the clan bug issues so I cant see the server password niether. Can someone PM it to me please ? I'll thank you by letting you kill me once : ).

M3wThr33

Banned
Bought the game today, mainly for the headset.
Probably will play soon enough.
PSN: m3wThr33

I'm on the west coast. I need an invite or something.

calder

Alex said:
Every time I try to use a TOW I get shot down.

Hell, I should face it, every time I take off the damn landing pad I get shot down within 30 seconds.

I'm pretty good at the ground combat, but I actually dont care for the Warhawks much, haha.

You are vulnerable when shooting TOWs of course but in larger objective games it's easy to minimize the risk. In any larger server you have to expect your base to have turrets manned and the enemy will normally give it a bit of distance. When possible I just hover low behind my base and shoot the TOWs, less chance of a random enemy stumbling upon you and getting a free kill. It's not a bad strategy for TeamDM when a big furball erupts in the middle of the map too, if you have some homing missiles just hover near your base and see if any enemy fighters drift too close to you.

The downside is the TOW range, if you're popping off at turrets in the enemy base (always a good idea in larger matches if you don't have a specific target just TOW the missile turret at the enemy base on principle) you'll have barely enough TOW fuel to get there. No loitering the TOW over the base waiting for a juicy target.

dralla

shagg_187 said:
I can't do that :lol I have the map constantly maximized, looking for zone radius being increased/decreased. When its decreasing or increasing, i run towards it and contribute to it.

We were winning by 1000 points so it wasn't a problem :]

Ceb

freethought said:
Man, TTP was driving, I was gunning and Arkestra was on our asses, that was an intense chase, he got us in the end though. :lol

I freaking love jeep chases, doesn't matter if I'm the hunter or the hunted. Fending of warhawks with the turret is like MGS3's Shagohod chase on steroids. :D

Things can really turn around quicker than you think in Zones if you have two even teams. I'm pretty sure it's my favorite mode, although CTF is hectic fun.

KGKK

Banned
besada said:
Weird, the auth server failed the first time and worked the second. Always confidence inspiring.

It's not working for me at all:( and I have tried a gazallion times:(

Edit: Yay!! Finally after 2 hours I am able to log in!!:D

challen

I covered this 1000 posts ago
Originally Posted by dionysus:
as half the time the list isn't even updated. It still says I am playing GAFu server as of me writing this, I haven't played on GAFu for two hours. Y

Originally Posted by Grayman:
Dionysus, Mushashi, and I had some good games on a SCEA-Vari server tonight.

By the way guys, it is good to "flush" the server you were playing on after you quit. If you aren't starting a new game "logout" to the main menu(online, local, options) so you don't show as still playing on a server. I've tested it on my own account, I was shown on a server for a long time on the clan page while I was reading the

Grayman - I also strongly suggest if anyone does choose the logout option, make sure you go back to the XMB as well. I've noticed when i host servers after I've done a logout, stats don't work.

1-D_FTW

rc213 said:
As a last resort you could always try and play the game with the PS3 connected directly to your modem and see if it still locks up. If it does then it definitely not something with the network and it's probably something wrong with your HD/PS3.

If it's anything like the problem I had with their Twisted Metal on the PS2, connecting directly to the modem won't help (It didn't help with me. Had to ebay the disc. Obviously they can't with this.)

Arsenic

KGKK said:
It's not working for me at all:( and I have tried a gazallion times:(

Edit: Yay!! Finally after 2 hours I am able to log in!!:D
try reseting/restarting your modem. it worked for me just now.

KGKK

Banned
Btw how the hell do I find the gaf game going on right now. I don't want to have to look through the list of 1029 servers:(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
freethought said:
Just had some fantastic games on gafu. Arkestra got unfairly screwed in a 2 on 1 CTF game but then some more people joined and it got real interesting. After scraping a win in Zones thanks to some excellent communication, we dominated in CTF. You were everywhere you needed to be TTP, and Raist is deadly when defending a jeep from the air. The one capture the other team got was mainly due to my dire map reading skills. If anyone ever see's me in a jeep or tank, it's best that you just back away. Those maps just make me crazy, I end up driving in circles.

Anyway, fantastic games. Gafu is going to be deadly.

:lol

That chase was incredible. Very intense. It's a weird think to say but the kind of experience I'm getting from Warhawk is akin to some solo games with their "memorable moments" orchestrated by the devs. But in Warhawk they are just emergent.

Edit: Ah, I'm going to bed now but I'll leave the server up all night. Hopefully it wont crash. Seems pretty solid. Has been up for 3hrs :)

nofi

Mmmkay said:
Oh my gawd GAFu that game would never fucking end. I'm absolutely exhausted.

Funfunfun. I'm seriously crap though, I can't fly, can't shoot and don't even have a nice voice so I can stand at the back and sing songs.

spwolf

DoctorWho said:
The way I see it they definitely need to switch out the sidewinders with the homing missiles. This will lower the amount of "missile locks" that you encounter in flight and put a far greater emphasis on guns and positioning. Maybe even up the damage that the guns do by a slight margin so that people wont be consistently using missiles at close range.

Also, I've found myself relying on air mines for the majority of my kills. I know have more air mine kills on ranked servers than rifle or side winder kills. That is a bit silly when you think about it but when you're constantly under missile lock they do give you an advantage.

ehm, i would rather them kill the stupid mines than missiles :).... Whats so hard about dodging the missile? pretty much nothing... I am assuming you are using pro flight?

Jtrizzy

Can someone PM me the password? I can't remember the guys name who was so good. I remember reading about him, but I forget his name. Jtrizzy (GAFn)

got it...thanks.

Greg

Is this thread going to die down anytime soon? :lol

I've been so fucking busy with class and usually just been hanging out when a break in my schedule comes up - less than 2 hours playtime so far and I've had the game since the day it came out. :lol

Top Bottom