• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Marvie_3

Banned
Haha, fuck yeah, flipping power bomb. :D

If you like Meng Huo's, you should see Huang Gai's musou.

He's another character, much like Meng Huo, that I have used less and less in each game. I think it's just because of the giant fucking fish hook he carries around. Might have to give him a try though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Man, Shuten Doji's moveset is pretty bad but I keep using him anyway just because I'm hopelessly enamored with his musou. Dude just straight up goes Godzilla on throngs of hapless peons every time the gauge fills up. So satisfying.

Just remember, the weapon shop's inventory is based on the star rating of the last stage you played.

Which is incredibly stupid. But at least you can blow through the 10 star, second to last, stage in minutes if you need to buy some good weapons or just refresh the inventory.

Man, Shuten Doji's moveset is pretty bad but I keep using him anyway just because I'm hopelessly enamored with his musou. Dude just straight up goes Godzilla on throngs of hapless peons every time the gauge fills up. So satisfying.

His C1 is great in a crowd for instantly filling up the triple gauge and his R1 is pretty good too (IDK if either activates elements or not, so they could be useless on Chaos).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
His C1 is great in a crowd for instantly filling up the triple gauge and his R1 is pretty good too (IDK if either activates elements or not, so they could be useless on Chaos).

I didn't even bother putting any of the abilities that require activation on his weapon. I just stacked the + attack power variations and the ability that increases musou power on it, then I just keep him in reserve until his gauge is fully charged just to tag him in and Shuten Doji Smash everything before tagging him back out again.

I never even noticed he was good at charging the triple gauge 'cause Wang Yuanji is my other go-to character. That's handy to know should I ever swap her out.

I'm sure I can find his DW7 character art. Give me a sec.

EDIT: Here. This is exactly how he looks in WO3 as well.

d4p4z.jpg

Can't say I used him much in DW7, but in this Dian Wei is a complete beast. I think almost all of his charges activate elements + his EX makes every attack (normal + charge) have explosions on them (I haven't got any weapons with Burst so IDK if it is the same as that or different).

I'm going to use him for my Chaos run. My weapon setup for him atm is:
Frost Axe (11 + 54 attack) with - Typhoon, Wind, Blast, Flak, Brawn, Courage, Slay, Might.

Edit: Just replaced Flak with Brilliance. So damn nasty!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
This is easily the best Warriors game out now. I really enjoyed 7 and this blew it out the water.

kiryogi

Banned
Don't even worry about the recommended characters. If you keep using nothing but recommended characters, things are gonna get REALLY tough, seeing as you'll be using Lv. 1 characters in stages not really meant for them. Just use whoever you like.

Yeah, the SW characters mostly play like their SW3 incarnations, save for characters like Musashi and Kojiro who weren't in SW3.

And the endless attack strings were in DW6, not DW7. And no, nobody has endless strings in WO3.

Actually no. Nezha does have a renbu style moveset. :D

Just got to chapter 4.....
and I'm still missing quite a few characters and levels that require bonding...

I've been a fan for warrior games since DW2 to DW5, SW to SW3 and WO1 to WO2. I'd definitely say WO3 is the best out there. Maybe cause I missed DW7, but lotsa characters moveset feels really fresh to me. The best part is that even with 132 characters, there are no clones..unlike previous games.

p/s I also hated that shitty Renbu system or something.

Maybe cause I missed DW7, but lotsa characters moveset feels really fresh to me.

I'm noticing that too. I didn't play DW7 or SW3, and just the starting characters have some really kickass moves. The one guy with his musou pole dance and the other guy with his helicopter shield.

Sima Zhao..the starting guy, has a move where he uses the opponent as a skateboard. Just how cool is that??

I'm really liking Zhao Yun's moveset. His C3 is an absolutely general killer with Flak +10. His C6 looks so bad ass....(but I think is kinda slow). Still the poster boy for Koei...

kiryogi

Banned
Actually a lot of the DW7 chars are still clones, but made a bit more unique or were finally given their own weapons.

Helicopter guy or Hanbei was a new addition from SW3.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Actually a lot of the DW7 chars are still clones, but made a bit more unique or were finally given their own weapons.

If by "a bit more unique" you mean given all new charge moves, then yeah. A full set of new charge moves is more than a bit, really. So actually, the only way that certain characters are clones now is in their normal attack strings. And really, could you tell me the difference between Cao Cao, Sun Jian, and Liu Bei's normal strings pre-cloning (DW5 and previous)? Probably not. Same with, say, Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang, or Jiang Wei, Lu Meng, and Guan Yu.

My whole point here is, the DW characters are unique in all the aspects that matter, and just as unique as they were in DW5. Certain characters sharing a normal attack string isn't all that bad, or even noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

What does the game mean when a skill says 'damage commensurate with enemy life gauge at max'?

It's enemy life gauge max, not enemy life gauge at max. Basically what it means is that it does damage equal to a certain % of an enemy's max life.

kiryogi

Banned
If by "a bit more unique" you mean given all new charge moves, then yeah. A full set of new charge moves is more than a bit, really. So actually, the only way that certain characters are clones now is in their normal attack strings. And really, could you tell me the difference between Cao Cao, Sun Jian, and Liu Bei's normal strings pre-cloning (DW5 and previous)? Probably not. Same with, say, Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang, or Jiang Wei, Lu Meng, and Guan Yu.

My whole point here is, the DW characters are unique in all the aspects that matter, and just as unique as they were in DW5. Certain characters sharing a normal attack string isn't all that bad, or even noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

It's enemy life gauge max, not enemy life gauge at max. Basically what it means is that it does damage equal to a certain % of an enemy's max life.

Not every single charge move was replaced/altered, the clones still share a lot of the same ones. The issue of the clones have stemmed since DW6 and only has been gradually improving from 7 and beyond. But doesn't deter from the fact they're clones.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's is this 'brilliance' everyone is talking about and how do I gets it

Gotta play high-difficulty stages on Chaos. Good luck with that. ^^

Not every single charge move was replaced/altered, the clones still share a lot of the same ones. The issue of the clones have stemmed since DW6 and only has been gradually improving from 7 and beyond. But doesn't deter from the fact they're clones.

Here's the full list of characters with new charge moves and what was replaced. I'm sure you've already seen it, but I'll post it anyway, just for reference (credit to Daosiying on KW):

Dao:
Sima Zhao: Same moveset. New animation for C5
Cao Cao: New C2,C3,C4,C6
Sun Jian: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6
Sun Quan: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6

Rapier:
Sima Shi: New C1, C3, C4, C5, C6
Yuan Shao: New C1, C2, C3, C5, C6
Liu Shan: Same as DW7

Club:
Huang Gai: New C2, C5, C6
Xu Zhu: New C1, C4,

Twin Swords:
Liu Bei: Same as Dw7
Cao Pi: New C2 - 6
Lu Xun: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6

Spear:
Ma Chao: New C1, C4, C5
Jiang Wei: New C2, C6

Iron Fan:
Da Qiao: Same as Dw7
Xiao Qiao: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6

Staff:
Zhang Jiao: Same as dw7
Pang Tong: New C1, C2, C3, C4, C6

Nunchuks:
Guan Suo: Same as dw7
Ling Tong: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6

Throwing Knives:
Wang Yuanji: New C1
Zhu Rong: New C2 (Switch Attack), C3, C4 (Yuanji's C6), C6

Great Sword:
Xiahou Ba: Same as DW7
Guan Ping: New C1, C2, C3, C4, C6

Feather Fan:
Zhuge Dan: Same as Dw7
Zhuge Liang: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6( C1, C2, C5 have new animations but more or less the same minus speed difference)
Sima Yi: New C1, C2, C4, C5, C6 (See above)

Bow:
Huang Zhong: Same as DW7
Xiahou Yuan: New C2-6

That's at least 90% new charge moves. For the most part, people just share C3's (and you can't really get too creative with those anyway). And everyone else not listed there uses a unique weapon. Sure, there's still a few shared moves (the Club is the big offender, but it's only used by two people), but I think that almost all of the DW characters are unique enough now for the cloning to not be an issue anymore.

blind51de

Banned
Question since I haven't bought the 360 version yet:

What character(s) are as broken in this game as Zhou Tai and Himiko were in WO1 and 2, respectively.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's brilliance do though?

If your Musou is full, certain abilities/attributes you have on your weapon will take effect on ALL attacks, not just charge attacks. Like, let's say you have Bolt on your weapon. Normally Bolt only kicks in for charge attacks. With Brilliance, all of your attacks will inflict Bolt.

Question since I haven't bought the 360 version yet:

What character(s) are as broken in this game as Zhou Tai and Himiko were in WO1 and 2, respectively.

It's hard to say, since the game's only been out for a couple weeks, but so far I'd say Himiko is still very broken (you get caught in her Musou, you're dead). Lianshi is damn near broken if not completely, Nu Wa is supposedly pretty broken with the right skill set, Zhou Yu is broken thanks to his EX, and Xu Huang is absolutely ridiculous due to his axe actually picking enemies up and tossing them around. Zhou Tai is fairly broken too, though not to the extent he was in WO1. He lost his killer R1 moves, but gained a ridiculous EX and pretty awesome Musou.

blind51de

Banned
If your Musou is full, certain abilities/attributes you have on your weapon will take effect on ALL attacks, not just charge attacks. Like, let's say you have Bolt on your weapon. Normally Bolt only kicks in for charge attacks. With Brilliance, all of your attacks will inflict Bolt.

Oh, that was in WO2 too. Almighty or whatever it was called.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just got Lianshi, how is she broken?

Put Blast, Brawn, Might, and Slay on her weapon. Hell, Slay isn't even really necessary. She's an absolute beast and can murder crowds from a distance with ease. And hell, on Normal at Lv. 25-30 I could kill officers in one shot with her running attack. Now I've got her at Lv. 70 and I'm tearing through Chaos crowds with just as much ease.

Ryuukan

Put Blast, Brawn, Might, and Slay on her weapon. Hell, Slay isn't even really necessary. She's an absolute beast and can murder crowds from a distance with ease. And hell, on Normal at Lv. 25-30 I could kill officers in one shot with her running attack. Now I've got her at Lv. 70 and I'm tearing through Chaos crowds with just as much ease.

Ranged sounds good, fuck Himiko and her musou.

Wow Yue Ying got a badass scythe in this game.

Love how she picks up multiple people at once and tosses them.

Sigh...playing the second-to-last stage on Hard with a Fortune character and the seven star belt equipped? Still not seeing anymore rare weaponskills.

Also whoever came up with these rare item requirements deserves a slap.

赤兎鐙 (Red Hare Saddle) - Start battle on Red Hare
Chapter 3 樊城の戦い (Battle of Fan Castle)
Officers: Xu Huang, Wang Yi, Joan of Arc, Kojirou Sasaki / 1500 kills

The kills and the difficulty don't bother me in the slightest. But the stage/character make no freaking sense.
(Although IIRC if you have at least one of the "recommended" characters in the battle it'll count towards the unlock so eh..)

Diomedes

I'm glad that Xu Huang finally has his great axe back after DW7 had him using a polearm, sure it was there as a DLC weapon but it was still not his own.

So far Im really diggin' Ding Feng, Sima Zhao, Bao Sanniang, Sun Shangxiang and the last one's name is escaping me, but its the dude with the really long thin sword that can fill the screen with classes.

This game is fantastic. Orochi 2 was my second favorite musou game just behind Sengoku Basara but I do believe this one is going to take the top spot for itself. Really enjoying it. Also, played a bunch of split screen last night, thought it was absolutely fine. Sure, character draw distance is pretty bad but it doesnt really bother me in these type of games for some reason, but the framerate stayed rock solid, and that could absolutely not be said about Orochi 2.

Golbez

Even with a level 99 Hideyoshi with a +20 Chimera Shell, on Chaos mode he'll still die in a few hits if I don't have him constantly attacking. Fortunately he kills things even faster than things kill him.

Basically if you put Brilliance + Wind + Slay on your weapon then every attack you do will be unblockable + deal #% of the enemy's health. Add something like Osmosis or Absorption and you will constantly be getting your Musou / Health gauge filled from every attack you land. Ice? Enemy can't move until they are dead. It is pretty much the most broken thing you can get in the game for someone.

Oh, that was in WO2 too. Almighty or whatever it was called.
Yup, it's the rename for Almighty. A bunch of elements have been renamed in this game but still do the same thing they did previously.

The kills and the difficulty don't bother me in the slightest. But the stage/character make no freaking sense.
(Although IIRC if you have at least one of the "recommended" characters in the battle it'll count towards the unlock so eh..)

Yeah, you don't need to bother with actually using any of the characters listed for the hidden items. You simply need them on your team when you play whatever required stage on hard and once you get 1 more KO after the specific kill count the item will be dropped by that enemy. I used the same team as always for them and swapped out on for the necessary character (who I kept unused most times).

Here is a good list of all the items and their unlock requirements:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/wa...rochi-3-trophy-guide-roadmap.html#post2603952

Marvie_3

Banned
So what's the best weapon non-rare attribute combo? Gonna start on Hard/Chaos and I'd like to be prepared. I don't have anything like Brilliance yet.

Can't say I used him much in DW7, but in this Dian Wei is a complete beast. I think almost all of his charges activate elements + his EX makes every attack (normal + charge) have explosions on them (I haven't got any weapons with Burst so IDK if it is the same as that or different).

I'm going to use him for my Chaos run. My weapon setup for him atm is:
Frost Axe (11 + 54 attack) with - Typhoon, Wind, Blast, Flak, Brawn, Courage, Slay, Might.

Edit: Just replaced Flak with Brilliance. So damn nasty!

Did they ditch Dian Wei's shitty grab / headbutt musou from DW7?

That was so awful. >:|

EYEL1NER

Like I said before, there is so much more stuff in this game. So overwhelming.
I have seen people post about 'big star vs four star.' I am still really early in the game and haven't even started getting three star weapons yet, but of a lot of people's big stars are better than their four stars at maximum compatibility, should I go ahead and start getting big stars?
I'm talking specifically about Sima Zhao's Lord of Hell big star. It only requires two crystals and I am at three right now and have the gems to get it. I'm just wondering if I am missing something or not thinking of something.

The majority of character's strongest weapons are their big star weapons - Especially characters who are made for more speedy weapons that aren't normally too powerful. It's safe to assume that unless the character is a known powerhouse, their Big Stars will be stronger.

A maxed out Lord of Hell is the sword all of my sword users have.

Top Bottom