• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Marvie_3

Banned
Playing split screen sucks ass. Each player gets their own map and those maps take up about 1/3 of the screen. Why the hell couldn't they just put one map in the middle like they do with the messages?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
the map is too big period.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It takes up WAY more screen space than I'm used to.

And it's still useless when dealing with varying terrain heights and locked doors, which are frequently obscured by red enemy blotches.

I hate running all the way to the other side of a map, only to discover that what I thought was an open passage is actually locked, but I couldn't tell because the door was obscured by a giant red blotch on the map.

kiryogi

Banned
I cant really go back to anything outfit what that's not SW3/DW6/7. I really love how much they've changed in terms of visual direction from 5->6.

The wait for this here in the UK is killing me. I sunk more hours into WO2 than was healthy, plus I desperately need something to scratch my DW itch after the relative disappointment of 7.

Touche. :lol
Agree on some of the characters. Some just get worse and worse.

xq06fzlfm.jpg
xq07xwxm1.jpg

^ Xiao Qiao 6 --> 7 = possibly my least favourite character design 'upgrade' in the all the games I've ever played.

For the most part I stick to the more recent costumes, but I prefer some of the older stuff still. Off the top of my head I know I'm rocking a ton of Wu people's DW5 outfits + Kenshin, Tadakatsu, Ranmaru and Sakon's SW2 outfits.

What I want the most in terms of outfit DLC is all of the SW1 alt outfits. Tthose are some of my favorite designs. Mind you, it's not likely to happen. At least eventually I can use Kuno's SW1 alt whenever that DLC pack it was in comes to the US. I wouldn't mind some of the newer DW7 outfits too if they added them. Some of those look awesome and the DW7 newbies could use some more options.

I just hope Koei keeps the DLC that was free in Japan free in the US/UK this time around.

Shadow780

The Qiaos have the worst voice, the worst, I cannot stand them English or in Japanese.

Sun have too much creeps, Quan showed his ancestors what a real woman looks like.

Golbez

Xiao Qiao 6 --> 7 = possibly my least favourite character design 'upgrade' in the all the games I've ever played.
I dunno, in DW6 I was dangerously close to taking her seriously. Thank goodness that never happened.

Really though, without the C6 Death Element attack from DW3 with her fourth weapon, there's no reason to play her.

The wait for this here in the UK is killing me. I sunk more hours into WO2 than was healthy, plus I desperately need something to scratch my DW itch after the relative disappointment of 7.

xq06fzlfm.jpg
xq07xwxm1.jpg

^ Xiao Qiao 6 --> 7 = possibly my least favourite character design 'upgrade' in the all the games I've ever played.

Wait ? they are the same character ? *rolleyes !

Finally decided to get the EU version , so i'm waiting too ..

Hearing that the game is good sure helps since it's my first musou game in a while.

Wu in general is just messed up.

I still can't believe Koei thought this was good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6z8QmZNE-M

To be fair, most of the awesome guys in Wu were dead by then.
Pfft, Wu is the best.

Oh yeah, Wu's the best.

To be fair, it only just adds to how much we should care about Xiao Qiao. Da Qiao is always better.

So, hard mode is fun expect when I get OHKO by instant enemy musous. Man, I feel like dumping it back down to Normal Mode.

So I just got mine, 360 version, and holy shit: this game features just about the worst pop-in I've ever seen. I have the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 and this is worse. It is just amazingly, atrociously awful. I have no idea how Koei thought this was accceptable.

Seems pretty great outside of that and the lack of localization, but goddamn.

WHAT THE FUCK

I lost a battle because one of my idiot allies was halfway across the map taking on four officers by himself. Whatever, it happens. But instead of the typical Musou thing of giving me my post-battle failure screen, I was unceremoniously dumped back to the main menu. The XP I had earned during the battle? Gone. The weapons I had fused before the battle? Unfused. Failing a level reverts to your previous save now? That is the worst change in the entire history of the series. Fuck this game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
WHAT THE FUCK

I lost a battle because one of my idiot allies was halfway across the map taking on four officers by himself. Whatever, it happens. But instead of the typical Musou thing of giving me my post-battle failure screen, I was unceremoniously dumped back to the main menu. The XP I had earned during the battle? Gone. The weapons I had fused before the battle? Unfused. Failing a level reverts to your previous save now? That is the worst change in the entire history of the series. Fuck this game.

I understand your frustrations man, believe me. It's happened to me a few times now. But it's not new or anything. The only Musou game that I'm aware of that DOESN'T revert back to your last save before the battle you lost is Samurai Warriors 3. And I think WO2 might have let you keep growth points, but that's it.

Lesson learned now though, huh?. Always save before going into battle. It's a lesson we've all had to learn the hard way.

How many Musou games have you played before? I'm pretty sure that they always drop you off to the main menu after a battle - nothing you gained since the last save being kept. SW3 was an exception to this rule iirc. Surprisingly, even Capcom started doing this. In previous BASARA games you could still earn weapons, items and level when you die but in SB3/U you lose everything you did during the stage.

Next time I would recommend using the mid battle save feature so if you die you can resume from there instead. Also, do your prep stuff before you save so that if you die / can't complete a stage then the only loss is what you did in battle.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OP updated with Destructoid review.

Good ol' Jim Sterling. :D It's nice to have someone in the press who actually likes these games.

How many Musou games have you played before? I'm pretty sure that they always drop you off to the main menu after a battle - nothing you gained since the last save being kept.

I've played damn near all of them. DW 3-6. SW2. WO1 and 2. Gundam 2 and 3. I remember all of them letting you keep your experience earned during battle. You just didn't get the extra XP for finishing a battle. If I woke up today in an alternate universe where this isn't the case, I want to go back. :(

I've played damn near all of them. DW 3-6. SW2. WO1 and 2. Gundam 2 and 3. I remember all of them letting you keep your experience earned during battle. You just didn't get the extra XP for finishing a battle. If I woke up today in an alternate universe where this isn't the case, I want to go back. :(

I may be wrong before, it's been a while and I'll need to check again. I looked at MOZ before posting to make sure I was right and when I died in that it dropped me back at the main menu without showing that I anything during the stage, but it did ask if I want to save. I'll try and level someone up in a stage and check if they keep the level or not.

Edit: I retract what I said in my previous post, I had a complete brain fart. Indeed in MOZ I did get to keep my levels that I earned in a stage before dying, despite there being no post battle screen. Then I checked SW2 for good measure and in that you did get a post battle screen showing you the EXP and gold you earned. What I had remembered was that you didn't keep weapons you find in battle, and that somehow warped in my memory to not keeping anything.

MoxManiac

So I just got mine, 360 version, and holy shit: this game features just about the worst pop-in I've ever seen. I have the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 and this is worse. It is just amazingly, atrociously awful. I have no idea how Koei thought this was accceptable.

Seems pretty great outside of that and the lack of localization, but goddamn.

Anyone know if the pop is any better in the ps3 version?

Off topic 1: I've been playing Trinity zill and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Off topic 2: I checked the price for Warriors: Legend of Troy and it's rare? wtf?

Marvie_3

Banned

Off topic 1: I've been playing Trinity zill and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Off topic 2: I checked the price for Warriors: Legend of Troy and it's rare? wtf?

That game actually came out? I thought it was cancelled?

Canadian Tecmo office.

AVOID LIKE SAKURA ON CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN!

Anybody have pics of Dian Wei in this game?

Zill Oll was pretty okay from the demo. Need to keep it in mind for finding it on the cheap.

EYEL1NER

Finally got my copy last night. Went to GS and got one, will return my Amazon copy when it gets here. But my buddy watched me play some and he said he might want it and give me the $65 I paid for at GS for the Amazon copy.

I have to say, it's a bit overwhelming this time. I've only owned and played DW6, DW7, Strikeforce, SW2, WO, WO2, FotNS, and all three Gundams. But this game seems to have so much more stuff than I can handle.
And the pop-in, map, and allied generals all suck. But man if it's still not an awesome-ass Warriors game.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Grinding everyone to proficiency S right now. After I do I'll play all the stages on Chaos. I'd rather play through all the characters right now so that I can play the ones I like after for the rest of my time with the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does the characters you use during story mater. Or should I just use who I want? I just been following the recommended list for now.

CSX

How do the SW characters play? I never played SW3 but are they straight from that game?

Do they play similar to DW7 where they have an "endless" string of attacks?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does the characters you use during story mater. Or should I just use who I want? I just been following the recommended list for now.

Don't even worry about the recommended characters. If you keep using nothing but recommended characters, things are gonna get REALLY tough, seeing as you'll be using Lv. 1 characters in stages not really meant for them. Just use whoever you like.

How do the SW characters play? I never played SW3 but are they straight from that game?

Do they play similar to DW7 where they have an "endless" string of attacks?

Yeah, the SW characters mostly play like their SW3 incarnations, save for characters like Musashi and Kojiro who weren't in SW3.

And the endless attack strings were in DW6, not DW7. And no, nobody has endless strings in WO3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok sweet, I <3 using Wang Yuanji to build meter so I was a bit sad when I couldnt use her

Edit: where do I find what each Proficiency does?

The recommended characters are just for some extra dialogue with the various people in the stage. I followed it while playing on Normal and it added a little bit (if you care about the story), but it's not really necessary if you'd rather just use your fav characters. One interesting thing I found is that in Musou Battlefields it lists all of the various interactions / conversations that can occur in a stage.

Seraphis Cain is right in that by the end a lot of the battles were harder than they otherwise would have been. I was using characters in the teen levels, for the most part, and even tho I played on normal, some of the higher starred stages got pretty challenging.

I like how different Meng Huo and Ding Feng are in this now. Feng is more grapple focused while Meng is more hard hits. I also love how Feng's EX is perfect for racking up the triple gauge.

Top Bottom