• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Golbez

Wow, I didn't even know the game had a spirit dash until I unlocked the item related to it.

I've finally got a strong enough character to farm weapons and items, and am really looking forward to getting some rare weapon attributes. Does anyone have a suggestion as to best stage for this?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Any reason to keep WO2 if I'm getting this? I usually sell the previous DW games when I get the new one (even though that was a mistake with 6).

Nah, this is generally better in every way. I can't ever see myself going back to WO2. There are some changes I don't necessarily like, but it's mostly just very minor stuff. The game as a whole is so much better.

Ryuukan

Finally got around to playing a few stages of this last night.

Do you have to swap through all your characters every time you clear a stage to talk to everyone in your camp to check for new unlockables?

horsebird

Banned
No idea on the Zhong Hui thing.

Mitsuhide...I don't know. I LOVED him in WO2, but he seems kinda weak in WO3. Like, to the point where I really don't care to use him at all.
Yeah, I'm not really feeling him. He's just so vanilla compared to the other characters I've fancied. I can find a go to attack for most characters, but I'm having trouble accomplishing much with him. I went all out and bought his big star weapon from the get go, hoping to leave enemy soldiers in shambles right from the start, but nope.

I think I've easily spent 20+ hours on this game already and I'm just about at the end. Took down the hydras last night (what a goddamned chore, worst level in the game) and I think there's only one more level left that will give one of the endings. I can tell from my map selection screen that there are quite a few side missions that I've missed, so I'll have to figure out how to get those. There's still so much leveling and farming to do - I haven't even bothered with Hard/Chaos difficulty yet aside from 1 occasion.

Speaking of which, leveling characters/weapons in this game really isn't half-bad with the appropriate booster items/attributes. It's a lot easier than I remember it being in DW4/5 thanks to the growth points/items/weapon store & fusion mechanics. Last night alone I raised Zhong Hui's Proficiency from F to S in what couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 maps, and his big star weapon compatibility is perhaps another two maps away from maxing out. Granted, you pretty much have to solo with the character, and not every character is made equal, but it's basically nothing to boost a new character to 20 using points, buy his/her big star, fuse it with the best stuff you can find in the store, and then slap on a proficiency booster.

This is such a fun game. On a side note, I wish Basara was more successful than it was in the West, because I would really like for a true sequel to happen (Utage would be good, too).

Finally got around to playing a few stages of this last night.

Do you have to swap through all your characters every time you clear a stage to talk to everyone in your camp to check for new unlockables?
No, but I think that's the only way to make sure you don't miss anything. I personally couldn't be bothered; figured I'd just look it up online when I reached the end game.

Marvie_3

Banned
No, but I think that's the only way to make sure you don't miss anything. I personally couldn't be bothered; figured I'd just look it up online when I reached the end game.

That's what I'm doing. I don't want to scroll through dozens of characters to unlock things.

horsebird

Banned
That's what I'm doing. I don't want to scroll through dozens of characters to unlock things.
For what it's worth, I didn't make it a point to do this and I've unlocked what has to be 90% of the roster. All I did was talk to the characters that would show up in camp every now and then.

Ryuukan

Like others have stated before, I've been gone from Musou games since DW3 (but I have played through DW Next on Vita) and some of the new guys are pretty over the top. Sima Zhao is crazy, is his wife Wang Yuanji worth using? She didnt seem that great in DW Next.

DTJAAAAM

Like others have stated before, I've been gone from Musou games since DW3 (but I have played through DW Next on Vita) and some of the new guys are pretty over the top. Sima Zhao is crazy, is his wife Wang Yuanji worth using? She didnt seem that great in DW Next.

Not a big fan of the throwing dagger users due to the lack of stun, but they're great for building up the triple attack gauge. I don't think I ever gave any of them Brilliance, so I wonder if that might do some good when combined with an ice element.

Ryuukan

Not a big fan of the throwing dagger users due to the lack of stun, but they're great for building up the triple attack gauge. I don't think I ever gave any of them Brilliance, so I wonder if that might do some good when combined with an ice element.

Yeah, pass then.

I've never played any of the Samurai Warriors games, anyone worth mentioning? I wasnt crazy about Hanbei Takenaka

ironcreed

Banned
I never really got into using her much in WO2 (although I did like her as a character), but I am starting to love Da Ji. While Zhou Tai is my favorite in speed styles, she is quickly becoming the runner up. Interesting that she is even listed as a speed style now, though.

sensui-tomo

I've never played any of the Samurai Warriors games, anyone worth mentioning? I wasnt crazy about Hanbei Takenaka[/QUOTE]

Tadakatsu = the lubu of that series, nobunaga plays pretty good for a leader, not sure how musashi turned out, and i wouldnt know any of the SW3 characters as i didnt play the game on the wii or import the ps3 enhanced version.

Marvie_3

Banned
I never really got into using her much in WO2 (although I did like her as a character), but I am starting to love Da Ji. While Zhou Tai is my favorite in speed styles, she is quickly becoming the runner up. Interesting that she is even listed as a speed style now, though.

One of my 3 main characters in every game. I always roll with Ma Chao, Guan Yu, and Zhou Tai.

Raiho

Neo Member
I've never played any of the Samurai Warriors games, anyone worth mentioning? I wasnt crazy about Hanbei Takenaka

Ginchiyo Tachibana is a beast. Fantastic R1 move and some great crowd clearing moves. Her Musou is the only real letdown in her moveset. It has poor range on top of poor damage.

TreIII

I was pretty disappointed in this.

Honestly, don't even really bother with using her Musou unless you've got a few Generals locked against a wall and you just want to watch them go bouncy-bouncy. Her R1 is a much better use of her gauge in pretty much every case.

That said, I still wish that they could have given her the R1 she had in the first MO. DAMN WAS THAT THING HILARIOUS. :lol

I'm also loving Zhou Tai for pretty much the same reasons I've always loved him.

Wang Yi is disgusting.
Like makes you want to throw up.
She has auto-block + she's a mash-happy character. That means everyone who so much as points at her is gonna get parried.

Already have the Demon Mask. All I need is the Gauntlets of Vitality and Wang Yi will be a ultra-violent planes, trains, and automobiles crash.

horsebird

Banned
Wang Yi is disgusting.
Like makes you want to throw up.
She has auto-block + she's a mash-happy character. That means everyone who so much as points at her is gonna get parried.

Already have the Demon Mask. All I need is the Gauntlets of Vitality and Wang Yi will be a ultra-violent planes, trains, and automobiles crash.

Wang Yi is my second main after Zhou Tai. She started off weak for me, but once I got her Proficiency and Weapon Compatibility maxed out, she became a monster. I don't even know what those items are, she's just on regular attributes and wielding Bat Fangs. What's this autoblock business?

Ginchiyo Tachibana is a beast. Fantastic R1 move and some great crowd clearing moves. Her Musou is the only real letdown in her moveset. It has poor range on top of poor damage.

When you don't have access to their true musou a lot of the SW character's musous attacks feel weak in comparison to the DW cast.

As for Ginchiyo, she has always been a main of mine since SW2 and I was disappointed in her for this game. She still has a great moveset but I thought her R1 move pales in comparison to her old one. That move was so badass just jumping into the middle of a crowd with it and blasting everything around her with lightning. That + her no longer being a power character knocks her down a peg in my favs ranking.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is this game worth 50 as a fan of the orochi series? Tell me now gaf I can only buy 1 game this entire month. Be as bias as possible even :p

ironcreed

Banned
Is this game worth 50 as a fan of the orochi series? Tell me now gaf I can only buy 1 game this entire month. Be as bias as possible even :p

Yeah, if you loved the first 2, then no way in hell will you be disappointed. As it is a massive improvement in every way. No slowdown like in 2, the visuals are sharp and even the story is much better. Also, it has some of the best battlefields ever in a Warriors game.

horsebird

Banned

Totally. I've done more gaming in the past week than I have in the past few months. I don't really buy games for more than $30 these days, but I paid the $50 on day one and do not regret it one bit.

I'm a cheap bastard, too.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Yes. I've spent over 50 hours on the game already and haven't even gone through half the cast yet.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
22 GB's if you want to background download it. You can download it all in the store and only use up 11 GB's, but then you won't be able to do anything else on your PS3 until it finishes with the download.

Heh, This will be my first DW-type game in a while. I played 3 and really liked it, but didn't buy one again until 6. That almost convinced me that maybe I don't like them anymore.

Anyway, I'll be picking this up from the post office tomorrow, hope not to be disappointed!

MoxManiac

Heh, This will be my first DW-type game in a while. I played 3 and really liked it, but didn't buy one again until 6. That almost convinced me that maybe I don't like them anymore.

Anyway, I'll be picking this up from the post office tomorrow, hope not to be disappointed!

6 was really bad. It's not really a good barometer for how the series currently is. I do not think you will be dissapointed in WO3.

horsebird

Banned
You guys are assholes, way to make me spend 50 bucks. SOLD

How much hard drive space do I need?
Free up 22gb in case, regardless of the download in background thing. I didn't choose to dl in the background and it messed up on me. I wound up having to download it twice, because I guess the ps3 ignored the error msg and deleted the install data.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Only three more items to get for the "All Items" trophy, then the REAL grind begins (S rank Proficiency for everyone, then Chaos runs). Hoo boy.

Mrbob

Is there any reason to keep Industry on your weapon once your character proficiency reaches S rank?

You guys are assholes, way to make me spend 50 bucks. SOLD

How much hard drive space do I need?

Game is amazing. According to my save file I'm already at 10 and a half hours and won't be done anytime soon! 50 dollars well spent!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
After skipping both Samurai Warriors 3 and Dynasty Warriors 7 practically every character in this is new to me. Even Ma Chao feels way different from my admittedly hazy recollections.

At least Kunoichi feels pretty much the way I remember. Pity about the fact that she's, you know, Kunoichi.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God damn psn's download rate is the worst shit in the world. Might as well hook up a 56k modem to this shit for downloads.

81% D: GO FASTER!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Doing 8 star Chaos stages with Zhou Yu almost exclusively. Fuck yeah, such a boss.

i4fU1.jpg

Just look at that badass motherfucker. Put Typhoon on his staff (fuck yeah rare weapon skills!) and spam dat C5 w/ jump cancel all day long.

Golbez

Zhou Yu is indeed great. I like switching him back to his 5 look, even if he's still as pale as a vampire. I've been rocking it with Hideyoshi though.

cTv5Q.png

Brilliance, Multi, Echo, Slay, Wind, Courage, Agility, and Osmosis. I know using his R1 works against the Brilliance, but it's so beastly that I can't help it, and with Osmosis I can usually spam at least 5, which will kill just about anything. I hated losing the Reach, but it was either that or Agility.

And yes, I have been using his SW2 outfit like the picture above!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm actually finding that I can't go back to a lot of the DW5 looks. Even more surprising is that I actually prefer DW6 looks for a few characters. Zhao Yun and Cao Pi just look so much cooler in their DW6 gear.

Gotta have DW5 Zhou Tai though.

Also, SW2 Nene is mandatory.

Golbez

Yep, I've got Zhou Tai in DW5 and Nene in SW2. Love those shoulderpads. I do like her little SW3 hairpiece that's a take off of Hideyoshi's helmet though.

Does Brilliance/Almighty only work on elements now instead of all attributes? Agility 10 isn't the buzzsaw that I remember at all, not that it matters much.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yep, I've got Zhou Tai in DW5 and Nene in SW2. Love those shoulderpads. I do like her little SW3 hairpiece that's a take off of Hideyoshi's helmet though.

Does Brilliance/Almighty only work on elements now instead of all attributes? Agility 10 isn't the buzzsaw that I remember at all, not that it matters much.

I have no idea about the rare abilities. Only just started getting them myself, so I'm still experimenting.

Also, regarding costumes, I demand Koei give us the DW4 costume DLC in the US. Just so I can have pimp hat Pang Tong back.

pBmuK.jpg

Look at that damn hat. It's so awesome. Not a big fan of his DW5 or DW7 looks, so right now I'm actually using his DW6 creepy mothman look.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just unlocked the ability to throw tea parties for my merry little displaced-in-time-and-space band.

I think with that I can safely declare this the best musou game ever.

Marvie_3

Banned
I have no idea about the rare abilities. Only just started getting them myself, so I'm still experimenting.

Also, regarding costumes, I demand Koei give us the DW4 costume DLC in the US. Just so I can have pimp hat Pang Tong back.

http://i.imgur.com/pBmuK.jpg[IMG]

Look at that damn hat. It's so awesome. Not a big fan of his DW5 or DW7 looks, so right now I'm actually using his DW6 creepy mothman look.[/QUOTE]

Shit yes.

Best Pang Tong outfit is from DW6

Seriously the attire was the best thing about that awful game.

565px-A-pangtong.jpg

And yeah this is an incredible game. Gotta sit down and write my review soon.

Top Bottom