• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Quick question, which of the big star weapon actually belongs to Ranmaru? I know he can basically use any big star weapon of that class....but I just want him to use his own one. But I basically can't find a big star weapon that is similar in design to his 4 star weapon.

Help me, GAF!

Wait, she got the scythe back? HELL YES.

In this and Dynasty Warriors NEXT 4 of the 5 original DLC weapons from 7 got used in this.
Yueying = Dagger Axe
Xu Huang = Great Axe
Dong Zhuo = Bombs
Pang De = Cudgel

Additionally Nemea's moveset incorporates part of the Short Pike moveset.

Also, if you haven't played DW7XL then you should know that some DW7 characters kept their signature weapons but got their own weapon class with all new movesets in that. These are also in Orochi 3 + NEXT:
Xiahou Dun = Padao
Zhao Yun = Dragon Spear
Guan Yu = Crescent Blade
Zhang Fei = Twin Pike

EYEL1NER

The majority of character's strongest weapons are their big star weapons - Especially characters who are made for more speedy weapons that aren't normally too powerful. It's safe to assume that unless the character is a known powerhouse, their Big Stars will be stronger.

A maxed out Lord of Hell is the sword all of my sword users have.
Okay, I'll go ahead and get it then. I just was wondering if there was some reason I shouldn't, because it seemed odd that I should be able to purchase the weapons that are supposed to be the best when I still only have two star weapons unlocked.
I mean, I've only completed like 4 missions. But it's getting bought now.

It's too bad this game got released before all those extra weapon DLC came out for DW7/XL. Otherwise we would have seen Da Xiao with Twin Rods and Sima Shi with some silly long thunder sword.

It's too bad this game got released before all those extra weapon DLC came out for DW7/XL. Otherwise we would have seen Da Xiao with Twin Rods and Sima Shi with some silly long thunder sword.

All 6 of the second wave of DLC weapons for 7 look so damn fun + I got extremely sad when I realized I was getting an Orochi game where I couldn't use Cao Ren's Mega Buster.

EYEL1NER

Man, after checking out the DLC costumes on the Warriors wikia, I have to say that I hope most of them come to the XBL Marketplace.
I'm guessing some probably won't, like the Santa preorders (which I really, really, REALLY want) and of course the Dengeki Playstation costume and weapon won't come to 360, but I need something to come out. I even want to buy the new wallpapers.

I've never bought DLC for a Warriors game, even for my beloved Gundam 3, but I want more Orochi 3 stuff.

DarkCloud

What can I say? Castlevania is one of my favorite series and Harmony had very nice art. Thanks again for the avatar.

Speaking of Eve...just found out that it was actually in Warriors Orochi 2 hidden in a Dream Stage I never played and thus I never knew. Mind officially blown.

Marvie_3

Banned
DW4 just had the best damn music in the entire series.
Absolutely. I even ripped the DW4 soundtrack to my 360 and listened to it while grinding in WO2 and DW7. Made the grinding a bit more tolerable. :lol

You guys weren't kidding about Lian Shi being overpowered. Holy shit. :lol

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Pish-tosh, who needs music DLC when every right-minded musou aficionado understands that completing a stage for the first time is merely the requisite payment to be able to play it to the beat of In the Capital/City of Flowers on every subsequent play, as god intended.

Quite frankly I cannot for the life of me understand why Koei even bothers to include any other songs.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I swear, Ueda Castle has been the source of more rage for me than any other stage in the game.

LEARN TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR DAMN SELF, TAISHI CI/WANG YUANJI. FUCK.

Golbez

It is funny how quickly they die against crappy Yuan Shao and Dong Zhuo forces. ...and sometimes Da Hui.

Eve is the best thing to come out of DW4.

Ryuukan

So I gave Lianshi a shot, she's nuts. That healing R1 move is sick.

Also, I managed to easily get that hit combo trophy with Ayane and a 10 sec full musou item. Racked up over 3300 hits with her musou.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, I've determined that difficulty totally doesn't affect how fast Proficiency rises. I played through a stage on Hard with Xiahou Yuan and Xu Zhu, since I figured that the less time I spent playing Xu Zhu, the more time I could spend actually enjoying the game. And yeah, Prof didn't go up any faster.

So, I've determined that difficulty totally doesn't affect how fast Proficiency rises. I played through a stage on Hard with Xiahou Yuan and Xu Zhu, since I figured that the less time I spent playing Xu Zhu, the more time I could spend actually enjoying the game. And yeah, Prof didn't go up any faster.

Thus why I play the prolouge stage on Normal for all my prof / weapon comp grinding. I can run around easily getting all the kills I need without any issue. I see no point in making grinding hard, challenges should be reserved for when normally playing the game.

EYEL1NER

Just got Ayane and I am really digging her. Only have her at lvl 25 with a three star weapon, but I racked up a couple thousand kills easily with her just now in the first battle I took her out on, and that is a couple thousand NOT including her Musou attacks.

I also really liked the Battle of Hasedō stage. It seemed a bit out of place, with surf boards everywhere and stuff, but I thought it looked really nice. A lot better than all the stages so far that are all fucked up and have the hydra-looking lava formations and shit everywhere.

horsebird

Banned
I dissed her AI. :p

Personally, Wang Yuanji is my second highest leveled character (71). :D

What's the "correct" way to play Wang? I was kinda hyped to use her early on, but I wasn't wowed by her moveset and I particularly didn't like how her knives don't stun. Willing to give her another shot as I'm looking to boost a new roster of characters!

Gonna beat the game tonight, I think. Hopefully I can get the ending that unlocks Susano'o, so I can beast with Da God. Also gonna try for Red Hare, since I went through it three times last night before finding out it had to be on Hard difficulty, and not on the Redux version of the stage.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's the "correct" way to play Wang? I was kinda hyped to use her early on, but I wasn't wowed by her moveset and I particularly didn't like how her knives don't stun. Willing to give her another shot as I'm looking to boost a new roster of characters!

Make heavy use of her C4/EX, and be sure to jump cancel out of it after throwing the big aerial blasts, otherwise it's really unsafe on landing (the jump cancel timing can be a bit strict, so it might take a bit of practice). Demolishes crowds AND officers. Other than that, just use her normal chain to build triple musou meter.

Also it helps to put both Multi (for more combo hits) and Echo (for hitstun) on her weapon. Those are rare skills though, so you'll need at least one character capable of doing high level Hard/Chaos stages.

horsebird

Banned
Make heavy use of her C4/EX, and be sure to jump cancel out of it after throwing the big aerial blasts, otherwise it's really unsafe on landing (the jump cancel timing can be a bit strict, so it might take a bit of practice). Demolishes crowds AND officers. Other than that, just use her normal chain to build triple musou meter.

Also it helps to put both Multi (for more combo hits) and Echo (for hitstun) on her weapon. Those are rare skills though, so you'll need at least one character capable of doing high level Hard/Chaos stages.
Gotcha. I definitely need to get into the habit of doing more aerial cancels, since I can't be careless in Hard/Chaos difficulty. I generally beast my way through crowds in Normal with no regard for life meter, just because I can.

I just got Echo on one of Zhou Tai's weapons last night and didn't get to try it out before bed, glad to know it's a good one. I think I'll start giving all my officers the Prosperity perk to up my chances of getting rare attributes. Maybe level up a Fortune character, too, although none really stand out to me as being particularly cool. Or finally use those lottery tickets I've been saving up - I'm assuming there's at least a chance to get a rare attribute this way?

kuroshiki

Gonna beat the game tonight, I think. Hopefully I can get the ending that unlocks Susano'o, so I can beast with Da God. Also gonna try for Red Hare, since I went through it three times last night before finding out it had to be on Hard difficulty, and not on the Redux version of the stage.

I don't have orochi yet but in DW7 her musou2 destroys just about everything.

In Dynasty Warriors next you should use Zhuge Dan strategy gem (which will give her infinite thunder stun ability), making her unstoppable.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gotcha. I definitely need to get into the habit of doing more aerial cancels, since I can't be careless in Hard/Chaos difficulty. I generally beast my way through crowds in Normal with no regard for life meter, just because I can.

I just got Echo on one of Zhou Tai's weapons last night and didn't get to try it out before bed, glad to know it's a good one. I think I'll start giving all my officers the Prosperity perk to up my chances of getting rare attributes. Maybe level up a Fortune character, too, although none really stand out to me as being particularly cool. Or finally use those lottery tickets I've been saving up - I'm assuming there's at least a chance to get a rare attribute this way?

As far as I know, no, you can't get rare attributes from lotto tickets.

Also you want to be careful who you put Echo on. Avoid putting it on characters with grab moves, since the shockwave Echo causes could potentially knock enemies out of the range of your grab.

I don't have orochi yet but in DW7 her musou2 destroys just about everything.

In Dynasty Warriors next you should use Zhuge Dan strategy gem (which will give her infinite thunder stun ability), making her unstoppable.

There are no Musou 2s in Orochi.

EDIT: I should rephrase that. DW characters only have one Musou each. Some have their first, others have their second. And some have a lesser version of one of their Musous as their R1 move, like Yueying.

As far as I know, no, you can't get rare attributes from lotto tickets. .

Awww...i was hoping to use the lottery tickets only when I'm in stage 4 hard/chaos mode! I've never used a lottery ticket before.

Is it me, or does Achilles suck donkey balls? How do the heck do I use him properly? I have maxed out his big star weapon...but his moveset is nothing special.

Marvie_3

Banned
Awww...i was hoping to use the lottery tickets only when I'm in stage 4 hard/chaos mode! I've never used a lottery ticket before.

Is it me, or does Achilles suck donkey balls? How do the heck do I use him properly? I have maxed out his big star weapon...but his moveset is nothing special.
Achilles is pretty useless.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Achilles was such a disappointment. I was expecting a Lu Bu-style beastly character and instead I got... well, Achilles. His little shield flip-and-stab move is neat, at least, and his EX attack isn't terrible, but on the whole he's pretty much garbs.

He and the bear have been the two biggest let-downs for me. Achilles riding a bear into battle should be awesome, but is instead just about the single saddest sight in the game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finished S-Ranking all the Wei officers. I actually forgot how much fun Xiahou Yuan is. His EX and Musou are both so much fun to do.

Now on to Wu!

So decided to actually use some new people instead of Sun Shangxiang, Kai and Kaguya and instead use an all male team of Ma Dai, Kanetsugu Naoe and Toshiie Maeda.

I'm actually disappointed with Ma Dai as his moves don't have the same pow as he did in DW7 though, I might need to unlock his last move first before I complain. I like Naoe and his spell cards use. I'm amused that Toshiie is pretty simple with smashing stuff till they are dead. Their R1 skills aren't amazing though like the girls' where things will die when I use them.

horsebird

Banned
After unlocking Red Hare, I beat the game today for the "less good" ending. I unlocked several rare attributes (Verity, Brilliance, and Typhoon for Zhou Tai, Echo for Wang Yuanji) running through the 8 Orochis stage on Hard, which surprised me since I didn't have anything in particular equipped other than Prosperity on Zhou. I thought they'd be harder to come across, but I'm not going to complain. It was easy getting Wang Yuanji up to par with Echo and Blast+10, following Seraphis' pointers for attack strategies. She really is quite the meter-building beast as you guys have said, but I noticed that even with Echo, some Officers are able to run right through her normal attacks. Wondering if Typhoon will fix that little problem.

Kinda annoyed that I'm forced to increase bonds for characters I couldn't care less about before getting to unlock the badass characters. Also, I'm disappointed with Guan Ping; he's so frigging slow, even with Agility+10! Hoping Sun Wukong is good, since I've been wanting to use him since the very beginning.

How do you increase relationships without the tea party stuff

Doing missions(accessible before battle) and winning battles with the people whose bonds you want to strengthen help.

Also handy is if you wait until Chapter 4, you can access moonlight dates. They raise the bond of only one person but it's quite high and cheap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Doing missions(accessible before battle) and winning battles with the people whose bonds you want to strengthen help.

Also handy is if you wait until Chapter 4, you can access moonlight dates. They raise the bond of only one person but it's quite high and cheap.

Pretty much this, but also, you can't raise bonds past a certain level with just parties. Once a pair of officers gets to the Bond level threshold (signified by the lines on the Bond meter), you'll need to do a battle with them on the same team to raise the Bond past that point.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty much this, but also, you can't raise bonds past a certain level with just parties. Once a pair of officers gets to the Bond level threshold (signified by the lines on the Bond meter), you'll need to do a battle with them on the same team to raise the Bond past that point.

Ah my main concern for now is just unlocking the stages

Getting this on Friday and it's going to be the first time I buy one of these games. Sounds like there is a lot of stuff to unlock but is any of it missable?

Man, this game is so much fun. Only in chapter 2 but rocking Sima Zhao, Yukimura, and Xu Huang atm. Love dat giant axe.

I really started on these games with SW1 so I'm not as familiar with the DW characters so it's been fun to learn them.

Only thing I wish this game had was the best menu music ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOcaddi2nPs

Oh man..I remember this music! Brings back memories! I've played a lot of WO1 and 2. I love this music.

There are tons more stuff for you to unlock and enjoy in WO3!

Top Bottom