• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Finally tracked down a copy of this.

Just a couple of questions. Do some characters only have comical Big Star Weapons? I was never that keen on the comic weapons in DW7 and would prefer to avoid them.

Also does speed not increase as you level up? I've got every character equipped with the speed boost but they still slow as fuck anyway to really boost it? I don't like really using horses in these games. In fact the first thing I pretty much always focus on is boosting my ground speed so I can leg it between fights.

So, you guys ready to talk about favorite characters yet? Or just powerful ones?

Sima Yi is the best. His musou is still fantastic even with the Japanese laugh, he gets the best going back in time dialogue on the stage you get Cao Cao, and he and Masamune Date's bond stage has the funniest cutscenes.

Marvie_3

Banned
Finally tracked down a copy of this.

Just a couple of questions. Do some characters only have comical Big Star Weapons? I was never that keen on the comic weapons in DW7 and would prefer to avoid them.

Also does speed not increase as you level up? I've got every character equipped with the speed boost but they still slow as fuck anyway to really boost it? I don't like really using horses in these games. In fact the first thing I pretty much always focus on is boosting my ground speed so I can leg it between fights.
No, each character has normal big star weapons as well.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I love using Xingcai, Wang Yi, Zhenji, and Aya. Xingcai is my favorite character of course. Xingcai and Wang Yi can block arrows on their own. Zhenji does great crowd clearing and Aya's healing ability is great. Gracia also has the healing ability, but I like Aya's move set more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finished up S-Ranking everyone and holding 100 parties. All that's left is using a character 100 times (close to that with Ryu), and finishing all stages on Chaos (also close). Soon Platinum trophy, you will be mine...

Finished up S-Ranking everyone and holding 100 parties. All that's left is using a character 100 times (close to that with Ryu), and finishing all stages on Chaos (also close). Soon Platinum trophy, you will be mine...

This "holding 100 parties"...does that chapter 4 unlock 1 on 1 party, counts towards this 100 parties?

You need to get max compatibility for big star weapons for all characters for a true musou fan!

I'm doing both Big Star compatibility and proficiency S at the same time. Saves me the trouble going around with characters which I don't like.

Any tips on using Diao Chan? She seems so....slow for a speed character. I know her EX boosts up her speed and attack....couple that with a Speed x2 pick up, she actually runs faster than a horse! (same goes for Zhenji's EX)

I basically use C4 and then EX. Then use C6. I basically had to cancel everything end of her charge with jump cancel. Her C3 is bloody slow and useless.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Me and my buddy just tried some WO3 co-op. Boy, this game is rat dick when it comes to online functionality. Someone else join the game? Vomit you back to title screen. Other person hasn't played the stage you picked? Vomit you back to title screen. Again and again. Eventually we got in but...that shit just isn't worth it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Me and my buddy just tried some WO3 co-op. Boy, this game is rat dick when it comes to online functionality. Someone else join the game? Vomit you back to title screen. Other person hasn't played the stage you picked? Vomit you back to title screen. Again and again. Eventually we got in but...that shit just isn't worth it.

Yeah, the online stuff really needs some work.

Wasn't the online interface handled much better in Strikeforce and DW7? I haven't tired either online in forever though so I could be remembering wrong.

_________

Does anyone know how exactly the element system in this game works?

- Certain charges always proc the elements, and the higher the number the more damage they will do?
- Elements proc on a percentage basis, and the higher the number the more often they will proc?
[Ex: Ice 10 = 60% of the time it will proc on charge attacks, while Ice 5 will proc 30% of the time.]
- A mix of the above?
- Something else entirely?

I ask because I've been thinking it's the first option; thus, I've been using Flame on weapons to figure out what the best charge attacks to use for characters, that I don't plan to use Brilliance on, are. However, if this isn't the way it works then I've been doing flawed testing.

_________

Edit:

I found a Japanese wiki with stat for elements.
http://wikiwiki.jp/orochi2/?%C9%F0%B4%EF%2F%C9%F0%B4%EF%C2%B0%C0%AD

I still am unsure of the above questions for elemental activation, but here is what I can gleam from looking at that wiki via automated translations:
- All element should stack
- Bolt, Wind and Slay all do 6.5% of an opponent's max hp
- Brawn, Might, Flak, and Courage all increase damage by ~20%
- Blast increases damage by 25%
- Destruction, Cavalier, and Frenzy all increase damage by 30%

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh hey guys. :D

rWUGB.jpg

Congrats!! Now just grind the rest of the Big star to max compatibility and wait for the stage DLCs!

Btw, what does "Frenzy" do? Increase damage from "special attack"? WTF is a "special attack"?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Congrats!! Now just grind the rest of the Big star to max compatibility and wait for the stage DLCs!

Btw, what does "Frenzy" do? Increase damage from "special attack"? WTF is a "special attack"?

R1 attacks.

Also, thanks! You already know how I feel about grinding big star weapons though. :lol I'll do it for characters I like, but you couldn't pay me enough to touch Goemon or Sanzang ever again, not to mention anyone who uses a rapier.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's good that prof. raises so much quicker than WO2, THANK GOD.

Seriously. Shit was SUCH a pain in the ass in WO2.

And I believe the requirement for unlocking one of the Dream Mode stages was raising everyone to max prof. It was a requirement for unlocking SOMETHING, I know that. Either way, LOL FUCK THAT SHIT.

I wonder how many people ever actually unlocked Orochi X, since you had to beat all Dream Mode stages to unlock him.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Congrats on the Platinum! I just need to do Chaos and 100 times with a character and I'll be there as well.

Shadow780

Seriously. Shit was SUCH a pain in the ass in WO2.

And I believe the requirement for unlocking one of the Dream Mode stages was raising everyone to max prof. It was a requirement for unlocking SOMETHING, I know that. Either way, LOL FUCK THAT SHIT.

I wonder how many people ever actually unlocked Orochi X, since you had to beat all Dream Mode stages to unlock him.

I don't think you need to, I got everyone unlocked in WOZ. You get 2 special wallpapers (LOLOLOL) for getting everyone to max prof.

Shadow780

Yeah you need all the lords @ 50 prof to unlock the remaining dream stages, and for the wall paper trophies you need an average about 30 prof. per character. FUCK THAT SHIT.

why when you get a defeat you don't have a retry option ..i get throw to the main menu losing all my progress...

HImiko is almost kiccking my *ss everytime i face her and i can only survive by taking the initiative and musou+ special attack her to prevent any chance or her reaching the ground once she get up in the air ..is there a special tip ? i am doing something wrong or is she supposed to be a pain in the *ss ?

Shadow780

why when you get a defeat you don't have a retry option ..i get throw to the main menu losing all my progress...

HImiko is almost kiccking my *ss everytime i face her and i can only survive by taking the initiative and musou+ special attack her to prevent any chance or her reaching the ground once she get up in the air ..is there a special tip ? i am doing something wrong or is she supposed to be a pain in the *ss ?

save when you get hit, or when she activates her musou.

Actually save often.

Basically, almost every general with red mist coming out of them is a threat. One musou from them is basically GG. If you're getting hit by a musou from one of these generals, save the game and quit, then resume it.

Himiko just has one of the more damaging musou out there. Basically, if you knock her down, don't wait next to her...she'll normally wake up with a musou. Stay far away from her when she's getting up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

After dealing with a few of her "oh god I'm..dead? already?" musous, I give her no quarter anymore. All the stops. She'll never breathe again. I do not trust her...ever.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
After dealing with a few of her "oh god I'm..dead? already?" musous, I give her no quarter anymore. All the stops. She'll never breathe again. I do not trust her...ever.

Last night, as I was finishing up my Platinum, I was doing one of the Nanzhong stages with Himiko as an enemy on Chaos, and I got surprise Musou'd to death. After ~140 hours, she STILL FUCKING GOT ME.

I had been trying to not use my most powerful characters up to that point, since I didn't want to max them out quite yet and they were getting close to 99. Not after that, though. Oh no. After that, I broke out Zhou Yu, Zhao Yun, and Zhao Tai, and rained fire on her ass (literally, Zhou Yu's EX rains fire. :lol).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dying to Himiko wouldn't be such a bad thing, if WO3 wouldn't shit you out to the main menu with no save whatsoever, even the pre-fight stuff. It's frustrating - a lot of baffling UI functionality that just loses your work instead of saving anything, no matter how small. I could deal with "lol you died no xp for you" if it would just autosave at the pre-battle screen. Sometimes I do some serious weapon jingle-jangling.

So, you guys ready to talk about favorite characters yet? Or just powerful ones?

After extensive (lol) testing of the entire cast, Aya, Kaguya and Da Qiao are my favourite team. Not necessarily because they're my favourite characters (though they're definitely up there, particularly Aya), but more because I really enjoy using them.

Wang Yuanji is all round awesome, but she was my main in DW7 and without her air musou I find her much less fun to play as. Glad her EX has been buffed at any rate.

Ding Feng is still an absolute boss. I really miss his second musou, but that's more for looks than anything else since he has enough grabs already.

Himiko is another favourite. When I first used her I thought she'd been nerfed because her normals seemed less OP. Then I used her musou and... well, yeah.

Never played DW7:XL, so Wang Yi was new to me. She's a pretty interesting character and fun to use, though I wish her musou worked properly.

I enjoy using Bao Sanniang even though I find her pretty insufferable. Similar story for Dong Zhuo, though I hate him less.

Orochi would be awesome if it wasn't for the Basara Tadakatsu syndrome he suffers from, i.e. jerking all over the place when he attacks, which kinda makes me feel like I'm not in proper control of him.

Other notables include Cao Pi, Cai Wenji, Zhen Ji, Jia Xu, SSX, Guo Huai, Ina, Kotaro Fuma and Joan of Arc.

My WO2 team was Himiko, Da Ji and Nene. Da Ji's less fun this time around though (no R1 pillar juggling) and Nene's moveset just doesn't work as well, plus she's been demoted to Tech.

As an aside, Kaguya's concepts are awesome, though I like her final design a lot as well.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
susano'o and yukimaru sanada are bosses.

yukimaru is so overpowered with multi its just not even funny, one hits many officers on chaos with his very overpowered charge moves

i went against her and beat her and the rest of the level was "easy"... i really didn't get a single chance to reach the ground once i got the first hit IN...i actually paused the game once i beat her ......and then she retreated ( dammit it ).
What's more in the mission afterwards i finally captured her ( OH HELL YEAH ) and then
She let her go ???? I was like kaguya..let's follow her to capture Da Ji !! But LOL no ..
I was seriously disapointed. If hope i get another explanation than " lol humans are complicated"..

save when you get hit, or when she activates her musou.

Actually save often.

Will do. i don't feel treats often, so i don't get the urge to save during battles. maybe in tougher mission i'll get the reflex

Basically, almost every general with red mist coming out of them is a threat. One musou from them is basically GG. If you're getting hit by a musou from one of these generals, save the game and quit, then resume it.

Himiko just has one of the more damaging musou out there. Basically, if you knock her down, don't wait next to her...she'll normally wake up with a musou. Stay far away from her when she's getting up.

Red mist ? now that you mention it ..i'll pay attention and save more often...

Dying to Himiko wouldn't be such a bad thing, if WO3 wouldn't shit you out to the main menu with no save whatsoever, even the pre-fight stuff. It's frustrating - a lot of baffling UI functionality that just loses your work instead of saving anything, no matter how small. I could deal with "lol you died no xp for you" if it would just autosave at the pre-battle screen. Sometimes I do some serious weapon jingle-jangling.

I can't agree more... sometimes i make a bunch of things ( buy weapons, forge ,parties, talks ect etc ) and then you lose everything ..that's really a bad design decision...
i dunno , make me like i was recused by kaguya and back to the camp to retry ( without xp and a Bond decrease ) Something like that ..

Now instead i get DEFEAT and back to main menu ...

-----------
@A Huge Battleship
i had trouble with her design at first ( kaguya ) and then playing with her i had no problem i guess she is great as she is ( still have to try new costumes )

mr.rager

I'm really enjoying this game. Been playing the warriors series ever since DW2, being a one man army is just so cool.

My fave characters to use so far has been Zhou Yu, Guan Suo and Xiahou Dun. Their EX attacks are just too good. Haven't really played around much with other characters yet but will do so. Everyone has good things to say about Ding Feng so I think he will be the next character I try.

This is really my only complaint about this wonderful, wonderful game. (Well, that and enemies not showing up within 20 feet). Some dude catches one of my weaker guys off guard, all of a sudden youre back at the main menu, lost all purchases, your old crew of 3 is back, all your fusions are gone, all the items, weapons, and XP is gone, etc. As you said, it wouldnt be that bad if it would just autosave at the pre-battle screen.

So pretty much what you said. Played a good amount of Xingcai and Da Ji, had a blast playing with both. Retiring Ding Feng, Ayane and Dian Wei for a bit. lol

This is why I always make sure to save again before starting a new level if I do anything in the camp. I learned that lesson fairly quickly (probably because of Himiko I bet).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I always make sure to save again before starting a new level if I do anything in the camp. I learned that lesson fairly quickly (probably because of Himiko I bet).

Yeah. I'm quickly adapting to "save before battle" now. Just need to remember it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Also remember, along with saving, you can also make your Preperations at camp, for equipping weapons and items.

I'm surprised at how many die VS Himiko... almost every enemey/group can die from a trinity attack of people with OK weapons, and if not, just juggle and musou those who are recovering from the trinity afterwards. You can also activate trinity out of hitstun. The Guard counterattack is also very powerful in this game, too, so just block an enemey, and counterattack, and you give yourself a big opening.

I like how many "defensive" options one has in this game. Much rarer to get "3 kingdom's corner beatdown" by mobs of general NPCs, due to this fact. And save for the Insta-death Musou's, Powered Generals seem to be easier to deal with across the board...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know what's fun? Running headlong into a crowd of no less than 10 enemy officers, then realizing OH SHIT YOU'RE ON CHAOS DIFFICULTY, but by then you're surrounded and have no choice but to cut your way out.

And then you do.

Fuck yeah, Cao Pi. :D

Does anyone have a go to setup they like to put on their maxed out weapons?

I've started using Typhoon, Echo, Blast, Slay, Wind, Bolt + 2 others.

3 elements that do percentile based damage + Echo works with Blast making every attack nasty and chain into crowds. The other two can change per character. Brilliance+Absorption if I want supreme brokeness. Multi + Brawn if their S-Strings are great. Frenzy + Osmosis for people with great R1s. Destruction + Osmosis for people with spamable Musou attacks. Agility for slow characters.

You know what's fun? Running headlong into a crowd of no less than 10 enemy officers, then realizing OH SHIT YOU'RE ON CHAOS DIFFICULTY, but by then you're surrounded and have no choice but to cut your way out.

And then you do.

Fuck yeah, Cao Pi. :D

Woot!! Just activate Trinity attack and cut your way out!

p/s is Cao Pi a good character for Chaos farming?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm fairly sure it's the gaiden stage with Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao. Don't remember the name offhand.

EDIT: Also, you have to fail the plots by Jia Xu and Mori Motonari to make Dong Zhuo's officers rebel against him.

Top Bottom