• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Regarding Someone who asked if REACH was good for her earlier... I actually found it useful. Goes from making her a close range melee puncher, to something more of a Final Fantasy Tactics-like Wave-fist monk, lol. Along with Echo, I found this to be a fun way to play her.

How much of an effect does it have? Most of the time I tend to just use Typhoon over Reach, should I rethink this strategy?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How much of an effect does it have? Most of the time I tend to just use Typhoon over Reach, should I rethink this strategy?

For her, it gives something like an extra characters width of space out from her fist, where her hits actually seem to connect. I found this seriously helped me stop stragglers from dashing in and interrupting her charges, as I'd get more enemies into hitstun ran if she just hit those immediately ahead.

I THINK Reach extends your actual physical weapon attack range, which has all the hitstun you'd expect, whereas Typhoon doesn't seem to have any on it's own (And it's range increase seems unpredictable per character). So Typhoon probably works more damage, whereas reach probably has more crowd control.

To me, Echo's seemed to have more hitstun effect, where as Typhoons actually can just graze you, but not stop you. (I notice this especially with Bao; I'll do a normal attack, and the actual yoyo doesn't hit, but the wind does. And yet they just keep on walking...)

In the end, I think it's just preference. Good reason why I've started to keep multiple strong weapons now...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I played WO3 all night. No regrets. This is bliss - how did Koei get almost EVERYTHING -right-?

O__O! I just read that if you edit a stage in Musou Battlefield and play it that you won't have any cutscenes that pop up and need to be skipped. I should have used that for S-Rank grinding before.

At least I found out about it now, I can use it in the future at least for weapon grinding.

They have to be bought. You can get them from lottery tickets as well, but it's kinda rare.

Sigh, that means more gem farming as well.

O__O! I just read that if you edit a stage in Musou Battlefield and play it that you won't have any cutscenes that pop up and need to be skipped. I should have used that for S-Rank grinding before.

At least I found out about it now, I can use it in the future at least for weapon grinding.

That seems extremely useful. As much fun as it is to see Guo Jia hit on Ina and Xing Cai, it does get repetitive.

Imported my Euro copy a week ago and have been playing ever since, this is the best warriors game since I played DW3. Koei did an amazing job with this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh, that makes me remember, I'm quite happy that Samurai Warriors 2's "Rescue" theme came with the DLC stages. Really one of my favorite theme in Samurai Warriors series!

Lord Asakura: "We've done enough. Let's return home."

Grinded this stage too much back then :) Really ended up liking SW2's dub, too... "For Honor and LOVE!" Haven't like Nagamasa's VA's anywhere near as much since then... he always sounds so nasily and wimpy...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, that makes me remember, I'm quite happy that Samurai Warriors 2's "Rescue" theme came with the DLC stages. Really one of my favorite theme in Samurai Warriors series!

Yes! That's one of my favorite, too. I did 2 DLC stages last night but not the one with that in it. Love that track.

Hell, I really loved a ton of SW1's music. Hopefully a lot of that one's music comes.

The list of fav characters is too long for me to think of and elaborate on atm, but seeing that Mago pic reminded me how much I love a lot of the SW1 alts. I really wish Monk Keiji was in this game, it's my favorite look for him:

I hope we get these as DLC. I'd love to use Mitsuhide, Kunoichi and Hanzo's (All 3 are characters I enjoy playing a lot in this game).

The rest of the SW1 Alts: http://imgur.com/a/xn59k#0

those are all good, i don't like normal Keiji's look at all, the bald look works incredibly well.

Played through the DLC stages. In Vino Veritas was an interesting idea in theory, but it translated into a comparatively dull stage. Phantoms of Nanzhong was also unremarkable, although allying with
Dodomeki
made for a neat change.

The 9 star ones were much more enjoyable. Warriors of Purity gives you two armies to tear through to the tune of Aya being Aya, which makes everything more entertaining. Ninjas United was a similarly enjoyable rampage that felt more challenging/relentless than the other 3 and was better for it (although
'Ayane's assault on the enemy main camp was successful' --> 'Ayane is in trouble' 30 seconds later
was still a bit silly).

When I found out that the accompanying BGM pack had Eve in it I basically ignored all the other tracks, but now that I'm actually checking them out there're some damn good picks there. Particularly glad to see The Last Battle included.

Just bought this for the 360 (PS3 has no room on its harddrive)..due to the why errbody hates DW thread.

I hope it lives up to it's rep.

That only musou type game I have played was SB3 and I liked it but had to trade it in due to being broke as fuck (funny since that hasn't changed but fuck it ramen for a month won't kill me...right?).

The 360 version is fine right outside of a few framerate issues (My vision is too ass to notice most of the time).

Lets see why this thread is full of OMGTHISISCRACK posts.

So, I've beat the stage where Lu Meng dies like 5 times. Taishi Ci keeps saying something about if only there was a way to prevent his wound or whatever, but then back at camp I get no conversation about him. What gives?

Jarate

Banned
Just bought this for the 360 (PS3 has no room on its harddrive)..due to the why errbody hates DW thread.

That only musou type game I have played was SB3 and I liked it but had to trade it in due to being broke as fuck (funny since that hasn't changed but fuck it ramen for a month won't kill me...right?).

The 360 version is fine right outside of a few framerate issues (My vision is too ass to notice most of the time).

Learn to love Xiahou Ba early in the game, is r1 is incredibly broken

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played through the DLC stages. In Vino Veritas was an interesting idea in theory, but it translated into a comparatively dull stage. Phantoms of Nanzhong was also unremarkable, although allying with
Dodomeki
made for a neat change.

The 9 star ones were much more enjoyable. Warriors of Purity gives you two armies to tear through to the tune of Aya being Aya, which makes everything more entertaining. Ninjas United was a similarly enjoyable rampage that felt more challenging/relentless than the other 3 and was better for it (although
'Ayane's assault on the enemy main camp was successful' --> 'Ayane is in trouble' 30 seconds later
was still a bit silly).

When I found out that the accompanying BGM pack had Eve in it I basically ignored all the other tracks, but now that I'm actually checking them out there're some damn good picks there. Particularly glad to see The Last Battle included.

Yeah, I've been using nothing but Eve ever since I got the DLC. :lol

Also, speaking of Aya, anyone else never get tired of the way her VA says "Kenshin"?

Glad you're on board! :D If you need any help with anything, or have any questions, I'm sure we'll be glad to help. Hope you enjoy the game!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Also, speaking of Aya, anyone else never get tired of the way her VA says "Kenshin"

I may be a bit biased, but I love the way she says it lol. Especially on the new DLC stage.

joshschw

I feel pathetic to an unheard of degree posting this... But I've tried and tried and I just can't passed a certain level.

I think it is the third level, BATTLE OF UEDA CASTLE
Yes, the third level - maybe the second!

Either some ally dies, or the one time I lasted considerably longer *I* died.
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't really get how the tactical aspects work. I get a warning saying such and such is in trouble, go help, and the map blinks where they are but it is typically so far away I can not get there in time anyway.

Somehow I have never played the DW series, but several others of this type of game and I have always liked them.

Marvie_3

Banned

Also, speaking of Aya, anyone else never get tired of the way her VA says "Kenshin"?

Glad you're on board! :D If you need any help with anything, or have any questions, I'm sure we'll be glad to help. Hope you enjoy the game!
Same here. That song is so damn good. :lol

So, I've beat the stage where Lu Meng dies like 5 times. Taishi Ci keeps saying something about if only there was a way to prevent his wound or whatever, but then back at camp I get no conversation about him. What gives?

Just play other missions first and talk to people in camp. Someone else you unlock in the future might have a timeline that will help to save him. Finish that stage, then the Redux version of Lu Meng's stage will appear.

Don't worry...You'll get to save EVERYONE.

I feel pathetic to an unheard of degree posting this... But I've tried and tried and I just can't passed a certain level.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't really get how the tactical aspects work. I get a warning saying such and such is in trouble, go help, and the map blinks where they are but it is typically so far away I can not get there in time anyway.

Somehow I have never played the DW series, but several others of this type of game and I have always liked them.

I'm not at home right now, so I'm just doing this on top of my head.

1. Go to the centre and kill the 4 generals there.
2. Head west and kill the generals there....meet up with Wang Yuanji
3. Wang will head north, then move back to the center of the map (she won't engage officers until she reaches the center)
4. During the time she's moving, head southwards and kill Yuan Shao and all his generals
5. Run back to the center to protect Wang Yuanji (your mission fails if she dies).
6. Clear up all of Dong Zhou's generals, then head northeast to kill off Dong Zhou.

Try not to play on Easy mode. Wang Yuanji dies faster if it's on Easy mode. Apparently, easy mode means all AI become weaker...including your allies.

Edit: You're not using the "Recommended officers", are you?

Marvie_3

Banned

If you check the tab "Army Info" on the pause menu, it'll tell you which officers need to stay alive on your side. Some levels you really need to stick close to them or they get crushed in no time. It's especially bad on lower difficulties.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Oh god, Ueda Castle.

If you look back through the thread, you'll find at least two instances of me getting EXTREMELY pissed at that stage. :lol

Here's what you do.

1. Start by taking out the generals at the beginning. Simple enough.

2. When you get to the part where there's yellow enemies to the south, and red enemies to the north, take out the enemies at the south FIRST. This way you save your named officers like Zhang Liao, who are more useful as allies than the generics you'll save by going north. However do NOT go all the way south, to the bottom of the map. Doing so will put you too far away from your allies.

3. After taking out those generals, start heading north to where Taishi Ci is (you can check your map if you're not exactly sure where I'm referring to. Pause and select "Army Info" and highlight Taishi Ci). Once you get there, a cutscene will play.

4. After the cutscene, Yuan Shao and his men will approach from the south, and Dong Zhuo and his men will approach from the north. Take out Dong Zhuo and his men first, then head towards the center of the map where Zhong Hui will show up and start attacking Wang Yuanji. Take out him and his men, then start heading south to take care of Yuan Shao. At this point, you shouldn't have any further problems.

Also, keep in mind that you can press Select (or Back on the 360) to call a horse at any time, which will help you get around the map much faster. If you're in a very tight situation (an ally is about to die and you need to reach them quickly), keep in mind that Dynasty Warriors characters have a horse musou that sends them rocketing across the map at great speed. You can use this to traverse long distances much more quickly.

Good luck!

EDIT: Haha, Boogalogist gave pretty much the opposite strategy that I just gave. :lol The truth is, pretty much either will work. It's really about having a clearly defined battle plan, and not doing too much aimless running around.

Japanese PSN has 7 new cosplay outfits:
The 3 I showed before, of Gracia as Bao Sanniang, Kaihime as Wang Yuanji, and Hojo Ujiyasu as Sun Jian. Besides those 3 we have Sasaki Kojiro as Zhang He, Aya as Zhenji, Kato Kiyomasa as Ling Tong and Mōri Motonari as Ma Dai. I'll get pictures of them up as soon as I can.

Our different methods just show that Warriors game actually have depth. You can approach each stage differently!
I always enjoy finding new ways to play through the stages in these games. Doing runs for the the Chaos and Nightmare weapons in DW7XL really had a strong feeling of this because they forced me to go through the stages with a specific goal in mind and a clearly defined strategy from the onset. I wish they had these in WO3, it could have at least been done for the items instead of just KO X people with Y character on your team.

Marvie_3

Banned
I do it differently that both of you. :lol

1. Kill the 4 middle generals.
2. Go west and kill the 4-5 Yuan Shao generals there but I do NOT meet up with Wang Yuanji yet.
3. Go back east then north from the center area and kill the 4-5 clustered Dong Zhuo generals in the northern part of the map. THEN I meet up with Wang Yaunji.
4. Head NE to kill Dong Zhuo and his remaining generals.
5. Move south to intercept Zhong Hui + friend.
6. After I take him out I can head straight west and take out whats left of Yuan Shao's army.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The 3 I showed before, of Gracia as Bao Sanniang, Kaihime as Wang Yuanji, and Hojo Ujiyasu as Sun Jian. Besides those 3 we have Sasaki Kojiro as Zhang He, Aya as Zhenji, Kato Kiyomasa as Ling Tong and Mōri Motonari as Ma Dai. I'll get pictures of them up as soon as I can.

I must see this.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

I....I'm okay with this...

Kinda wish there was more costumes, but I still want to see this.

Aya looks amazing without her hoodie.

I was hoping Motonari got Ma Dai's hat but I guess I was asking for too much.

Kiyomasa just looks cool in general.

God, I hope KOEI doesn't take forever in releasing these here.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

iZgmo.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, Kiyomasa looks really nice in that. I'm impressed! Mama Nene would be proud!

Aya's is a wonderful tease, she always had stockings under her robes, and this outfit feels like a peek into a clothing personality that very well could be more truthful of her oddball nature.

Kojiro as Zhang He of course, makes too much sense. It's no surprise the design makes me think of "Chinese Feudal Vega", as Zhang He's look always has...

joshschw

thanks so much for all the advice guys. did NOT know about the horse riding by pressing select, so i got a bonus by asking for help.
it is nice that there seems to be multiple ways to accomplish this type of thing - and i shall try all three differents paths out tomorrow until i find one that works!

thank you!!

You guys also know about the R1+Square counterattack and Tech characters having invincibility frames during R1+X dodges right? Also you can do a tech dodge right into a dash attack.

I, uh, usually don't care for Zhen Ji's DW7 look, but DAMN.

I love her VA generally, but yeah, there's a lot of love packed into the way she says "Kenshin."

Yep, it's my favourite BGM from the series. All Koei need to do now is reinvent the Two Qiaos stage to go with it.

I love her VA generally, but yeah, there's a lot of love packed into the way she says "Kenshin."
Same here. I really like Aya a lot. I love her moveset + everything about her personality is great. Koei just really knocked it out of the park with her. Plus, she helps flesh out Kenshin more too, which is always a good thing in my book.

Yep, it's my favourite BGM from the series. All Koei need to do now is reinvent the Two Qiaos stage to go with it.
Off-topic: With how popular that stage is, I'm surprised they never put it in DW7 as one of the classic stage remakes.

Edit: I double checked the DW7 DLC to make sure they hadn't added DW4 Hefei (it was DW3 Hefei) and just noticed they have DLC for every single DW2 map. That's pretty cool. I wonder if I should check those out, seeing as I started with DW4 and never seen the 2 or 3 maps.

i just came here to say this morning , Xuaiqiao 3rd costume is MUCH MUCH better than thefirst 2..

In my mind there is like ..no contest

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys also know about the R1+Square counterattack and Tech characters having invincibility frames during R1+X dodges right? Also you can do a tech dodge right into a dash attack.

Nope! But thank you :D

DarkCloud

i just came here to say this morning , Xuaiqiao 3rd costume is MUCH MUCH better than thefirst 2..

In my mind there is like ..no contest

4th (DW5 Outfit) fits her personality the best IMO. But yeah the costumes from DW6 (costume 3) usually trumped the costumes from 7 (Costumes 1-2) for me. That said Ugh at DaQiao's Strikeforce pre awakening costume (her 3rd).

Also as an aside....does anyone know if this game acts like DW7 in regards to costume selection? One of the things I loved about 7 was the fact that costumes you selected carried over to the CPU players in Conquest mode. So would be nice if I could force any Hanzo, XiaoQiao, and Nene I see to wear their better outfits.

So I been raising different team of characters to unlock the gaiden stages. And, I decided to risk it and farm them some nice weapons on hard mode and what a thrill that is. It is pretty fun where any wrong move is death for my people but it is so rewarding to see the ending results and see some gold skills on the weapons.

Man, this is so much fun.

Wait till you feel the thrill that is Chaos!!

I just got Gracia to S proficiency and max star compatibility. I hardly got off the horse. One handed fireball FTW!!

4th (DW5 Outfit) fits her personality the best IMO. But yeah the costumes from DW6 (costume 3) usually trumped the costumes from 7 (Costumes 1-2) for me. That said Ugh at DaQiao's Strikeforce pre awakening costume (her 3rd).

Also as an aside....does anyone know if this game acts like DW7 in regards to costume selection? One of the things I loved about 7 was the fact that costumes you selected carried over to the CPU players in Conquest mode. So would be nice if I could force any Hanzo, XiaoQiao, and Nene I see to wear their better outfits.

Well they don't keep their selected costumes if you meet them at the camp ( while they're not in your party )

Top Bottom