• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Xater

Guys that played the beta and stuff: What is the recommended difficulty level for this? Or can I change it mid game?

I agree, but the reason not enough games are turn-based is because a lot of people don't like turn-based.

Oh I know that but in general people like what they are told to like. Turn-based was big in PC gaming in 90s before real-time strategy was the new flavour of the month.

Anyway this is not the place for this.

Carm

Like a few others I'm missing stuff as well.

No concept art book = Edit: taken care of
No Novella by Chris Avellone = Edit: not finished
and seemingly no portraits = Edit: will be up on Ranger station tomorrow/today

Coreda

Could someone add a little ranger badge to my avatar please?

goodcoffeejoey-wl2hypg9ln1.png
goodcoffeejoey-wl2hypaubm3.png
goodcoffeejoey-wl2hyptauzu.png

goodcoffeejoey-wl2hypeux9e.png
goodcoffeejoey-wl2hypblu0b.png

Brian Fargo also announced they'll be doing an AMA:

R91G3wi.png

so is there any way to make my character look like he doesn't desperately need a sandwich
of course this is post apo scenario so i don't imagine everyone to be roided up but there gotta be a middle ground

so is there any way to make my character look like he doesn't desperately need a sandwich
of course this is post apo scenario so i don't imagine everyone to be roided up but there gotta be a middle ground
I don't know if they added more options for the full release, but the visual customization was pretty disappointing in the beta.

Nete

I'm still on the char creation... question on how some skills work. Do I need to start a conversation with the char who has those skills (kiss ass, hard ass...) to use them, or do you just need somebody in the party with them?

Guys that played the beta and stuff: What is the recommended difficulty level for this? Or can I change it mid game?

Manual puts Seasoned as recommended for newcommers. It can be changed at any time.

EDIT: Seems RPS review answers my question :p
Example – during conversations, the three persuasive skills come into play for specific choices, which are clearly marked. It’s possible to switch between characters mid-chat in order to utilise a specific skill, which feels more like flicking the necessary tool into play rather than engaging in tricksy dialogue.

Guess I'm buying it then. :p
The original Wasteland was the progenitor of the early Fallout games, and they share a post-apocalyptic setting, a wacky sense of humor, turn-based combat, reactive role-playing, multiple approaches to problems, etc.

It's not a perfect match, and Wasteland 2 is pretty rough around the edges, but it's the best spiritual successor to Fallout 2 that we have.

Zukuu

Banned
Ah fuck it. Wanted to wait to play this since I still haven't played battlemage lichdom yet, but I'll play this first. After finding finally finding my backer-key (bought the double pack during numenera kickstarter), I'm currently downloading it.

Gothos

I'm still on the char creation... question on how some skills work. Do I need to start a conversation with the char who has those skills (kiss ass, hard ass...) to use them, or do you just need somebody in the party with them?

Manual puts Seasoned as recommended for newcommers. It can be changed at any time.

EDIT: Seems RPS review answers my question :p

Don't know why RPS is bashing it. Seems sensible, during normal conversation you would also give someone a chance to persuade someone else if you know he/she can be intimidating or charming...

Despite being a very well made game it apparently suffers from "Retro" syndrome where mechanics are obtuse under the pretense of hardcore

I didn't read about that. What I read is the interface could be less annoying and click-happy. Like having to click on a character, click on the lockpick skill then click on a safe to try to open it. Couldn't they know you wanted to open the safe therefore using automatically the lockpick skill with the party member with the highest lockspick skill?

I have a question about charisma

so it doesnt affect speaking skills? how do you improve them then? are they only perks that you raise with more perk "points", how does it work?

so charisma only seems to influence leadership? leadership is another perk I guess? can you level it effectively witthout charisma? what does leadership exactly do? I read it helps keeping your party NPCs in line? what exactly does that mean?

downloaded it at home before heading off to work. will leave early to create my party, cant wait :)

You improve the three speech skills by putting skill points in them, the same as any other skill. In dialogue an option will be like "requires 3 hard-ass" or something. Your attributes don't figure into it at all (at least in beta!).

Leadership is another skill that you invest skill points in. It provides less chance for your NPC followers to go rogue and do their own thing in combat, which can be supremely irritating when they go get themselves killed.

Leadership also gives a bonus chance to hit for nearby party members. The higher your leadership, the bigger that bonus, and the higher your charisma, the bigger the radius of the leadership aura around your leader. This is primarily why the attribute and the skill go together well.

Don't know why RPS is bashing it. Seems sensible, during normal conversation you would also give someone a chance to persuade someone else if you know he/she can be intimidating or charming...

I think they are saying character interaction and inter-party interaction feels like a "game", choosing the most efficient tool for specific problems, not like real interaction between persons. It's a fair complaint.

But in general terms the RPS review isn't very good. The start calling it formidable
Wasteland 2 is formidable. The word ‘sprawling’ comes to mind but it’s not quite right. There’s a bit of sprawl, if such a thing as sprawl can happen in bits, but the game’s density is a more distinctive feature than its actual size. InXile’s Kickstarted RPG is a large game and rewards repeated playthroughs with previously unseen content, but it’s the sheer quantity of stuff that has astonished and occasionally overwhelmed me.

but after that a good deal of the review is about the little bits and bolts that bother the reviewer.

Turn-based combat...?

*Sigh*... Another great game with a combat system i severely hate. First Divinity: Original Sin, now this.

Different strokes. In a just world, Divinity's combat would have everyone frothing, not say, Diablo 3's dull clickfest.

Anyway, can't wait to get this one. The next six months of PC gaming goodness starts here.

Zukuu

Banned
Just read up that you don't have to use companions, which I very much prefer. I rather stick with the 4 main guys. Are they just mercs with no story and interaction, or do I miss out awesome team members like in, say Torment, NWN etc?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm hoping this grabs me more than Divinity: Original Sin did. If the combat's at least Shadowrun Returns-quality I'll probably enjoy it.

Just read up that you don't have to use companions, which I very much prefer. I rather stick with the 4 main guys. Are they just mercs with no story and interaction, or do I miss out awesome team members like in, say Torment, NWN etc?

Granted I didn't play too far into the beta, but there is one NPC you can get very early on who comments on tons of things in the early game. Like everywhere you go. And she is awesome.

Also, you will have a hard time covering all the skills with just a team of 4.

QaaQer

I linked this video earlier in the thread. It's slightly spoilery and very power gamery, but if you want a rundown of what the stats do, which skills are important, and some ways to build your party, it's pretty good.

As a summary of his advice, combined with my own observations (and this does get powergamey and a little spoilery):

Pay attention to the attributes' derived stat breakpoints. You can see these when you hover over the attributes. For example, you get an extra skill point for every 3 points in intelligence, so don't put 4 or 5 or 10 points in there.

Balance your action points and combat initiative, this is really important. Don't fill up on AP and ignore initiative, init is what helps you take more turns vs. the enemy's turns. It can be more beneficial overall to have higher initiative than AP, but at the same time you want enough AP to be able to use your chosen weapon efficiently (multiple shots per turn etc.).

Luck and charisma are dump stats. Luck just doesn't provide enough good benefits for its investment, too much randomness involved. Charisma is really designed just for a character who invests in the leadership skill. Higher cha can get you more XP, but it's not like you're going to run out of opportunities to earn XP throughout the game. Both of those can be lowered to 1 for most characters without really affecting much.

Heavy armors require strength of 4 to 6 to wear effectively (depending on the armor). Just keep that in mind, it would suck to get to the point where you find more heavy armors and discover that nobody can wear them!

Each weapon type requires a different amount of AP to fire. If you want to design really efficient characters, you will want to read up on these so you can have enough AP to fire your weapons twice or use burst fire, that sort of thing. For example, handgun shots are 3 AP, so you might want your handgun man to have 9 AP.

Some weapon types are less useful than others due to high AP costs or not having as much armor penetration ability, which is very important. It's subtractive, so if a guy has 2 armor and you shoot him once and deal 9 damage, you'll actually deal 7. However, if you shoot them 3 times for 3 damage each, you'll only deal 3 (1 damage from each shot that gets through). Because of this, handguns and SMGs can struggle against armor. Sniper rifles, assault rifles and blunt weapons are all very good. Shotguns take 5 AP to fire which is high, and the cone can be tough to aim so you don't hit your own party.

Almost all the non-combat skills are useful and open up new dialogue and questing opportunities. You will want all of them at some point if roleplay is important to you. Barter is an exception, apparently it doesn't provide any roleplay/dialogue options, at least in the beta. Alarm disarming is slightly less useful than other skills, being utilized less often.

Toaster repair seems very important. You will find a lot of minor quest completion items inside toasters! Weaponsmithing is also very useful for modding your weapons and also making money.

I'll put this in a separate spoiler since it's more metagamey...skills you may want to avoid because a lot of recruitable NPCs have them include
brute force and outdoorsman. Additionally, one NPC you can get right at the start of the game has brute force, outdoorsman, kiss ass and weaponsmithing, so you might be able to get away with avoiding those at the start.

You will want one character with high leadership to keep your NPCs in line. This means he probably wants high charisma, which is one of the few synergies between skill and attribute. Since he's already going to have high charisma which is not very useful in combat, you may as well go all out and give him high intelligence as well and make him your kinda non-combat guy with the speech skills.

It might be a good idea to have one character who is melee-focused, you can save a lot on ammo that way and the melee skills are quite good. Speed is very important for them, since it determines how far you can move, so they'll be able to get into the middle of combat and whack people. They will also want high strength.

You will probably want one field medic/surgeon, and then one other character with surgeon to revive the first in case of emergency.

Thanks for making this post, it is appreciated.

Thanks for making this post, it is appreciated.

You're welcome, I hope people don't feel too spoiled by it. I know some people think these games need to be played pure without knowing anything going in, and I don't want to ruin their experience too much. I just like having some direction to aim character development from the beginning.

Another thing, this is just based on existing info from the beta, so it may not all remain relevant throughout the game. One thing I don't have a lot of info on is energy weapons, since they were absent for large portions of the beta period.
From what I hear, they can be pretty awesome, but not right at the start of the game. Their damage goes up as enemy armor goes up, so if you can tough it through the early game with its unarmored foes you will love them later on.

I didn't read about that. What I read is the interface could be less annoying and click-happy. Like having to click on a character, click on the lockpick skill then click on a safe to try to open it. Couldn't they know you wanted to open the safe therefore using automatically the lockpick skill with the party member with the highest lockspick skill?

That too. They talk about how "finicky" everything is and how there are too many steps involved to do perform certain actions like you said Lock-picking and such.

Hahaha "incredibly brown"

I'd say it's less brown in comparison to say New Vegas where there was minimal greenery whereas here I saw videos and screenshots of them in a swamp or Oasis.

epmode

The best thing about Wasteland 2 is how it put nXile on the map. It's great to have another developer making serious party-based RPGs. Torment is in good hands (although I'd be happier if Chris Avellone were more involved).

Sendero

Just 5 minutes to complete the download.

In any case, I agree with the complains to and from the RPS "Wot I think". At least based on the Beta, there are a few things that should have been streamlined and improved.

1) I'm hearing that there aren't many portraits at release. I mean, how come?
2) You shouldn't need that many clicks to use a skill.
3) This is worse, since there seems to be only 1 action bar per character, with only 8 slots. Since my main char will likely have 4-5 usable skills, there won't be much space left for other stuff (cure items, shovel, grenades, etc)
4) Skills should have more synergy with your attributes.

Just to name a few. Also, I hope the final version has several options to group and position your party, which I think was missing in the Beta. And hope you can change your appearance later in the game. That's basic stuff nowadays.

But in general terms the RPS review isn't very good.
This too. I understood part of his complains, but the writer barely talks about the rest of game. Literally, you get almost no more info about it.

This might not be a AAA release, but that's really not excuse. Specially for the genre (and the legacy) involved. Quite poor review indeed.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'd would be much easier if I could just click on a locked door and the game would automatically suggest using the lockpicking ability. That might be my biggest complaint yet.
Otherwise it's pretty much what I expected, I very much enjoy what I played so far.

I've just read that shrines no longer give attribute points, instead they just give you XP.

So that initial choice of attributes is much more important now than it used to be!

I'm not sure about the shrines that used to give skill points, whether those also just give XP or not.

Sothpaw

Nice to see the game at the top of the charts. I am only awake now because my 2 year old decided to get me up at 5am today...

Anyway good to see some positive reviews and I can't wait to play tonight when family is asleep. Going to have to come up with my final party today during lunch break.

Top Bottom