• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Haven't put more than a few hours into it so far, but I will say that I'm enjoying what I've played immensely. Game is more of a hybrid of Fallout and Wasteland that I was anticipating, but that's fine since, in most ways, FO was always a modern take on WL minus the party system. Combat seems like it could have been a bit more refined, but it's more than serviceable. Truth be told, I kind-sorta miss the old school phase-based combat of the original, so I would've liked to see more of a 'we-go' hybrid when dealing with spatial element of character placement on the field and general turn actions. Also, the game needs to be patched to include modern features, such as user-selectable behaviors for many common actions taken. For instance, I'd like non-combat to allow for the game to choose to use the character with the highest rated skill or attribute to be selected whenever employing them. If I lockpick, the game should choose the character with the highest lockpick skill by default. Little things like that go a long way toward keeping things from being so micro-heavy. Otherwise, fantastic first release and I hope inXile updates things like the above as well as implementing optional view modes, like an auto-iso-view that keeps navigation on location maps even simpler but still allows auto-zoom for threats and potentially hostile NPCs.

Moff

I really hate when characters dont look like the portrait. but at least you can just use a picture of the ingame character as a portrait, although they really look ugly. I actually managed to use some of the portraits posted earlier on that facebook page, now I really hope I didnt fuck up the attributes/skills of them. they are all diverse enough at least.

The_Monk

Steam forums are full of people with Steam overlay not working for them, but for now the reason is not known. At least in my case I have no problem on using it or taking screenshots.

Thank you very much for answering fellow GAFfer, I will wait to see if they release a new update or if there's something I can do on my end. Either way it's not a major issue. As long it plays fine that's all that matters.

Almighty

Well finally able to play the game and installing now. It has been a while since a games asked if I wanted to install some random third party driver.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ultima was all premade characters....

Depends on what ultima you're talking about. Ultima 4 and 5 had restricted class based pre-made characters, the rest had an open leveling system with 2 and 3 even featuring full party creation.

So, what exactly does charisma do for you then?

I've read that having one character with high charisma and the rest at 1 is really bad, because whenever the game does a charisma check, it's against sum of the entire party's charisma?

I've also read the charisma determines how many followers in a addition to the party of 4 you can have? How is this calculated? Do I need to have everyone in the party with high charisma to get additional followers?
I am 90% certain Charisma doesn't affect dialog skill checks at all. Those are handled by the respective skills, which are independent of the stat. The only skill synergy is Charisma/Leadership, which has some effect on keeping recruits under control, and giving nearby party members a boost to accuracy?

I think the party's Charisma is totaled (aggregated?) for some checks, but I'm not sure what those are. Regardless, as someone pointed out, having it high on one person and low on the others will still leave you >3, or greater than "average," as the game calls it.

Enco

I'm about 10 minutes in and already lost.

What do I do? I can't beat
that dumb toad
thing in the cave.

I am 90% certain Charisma doesn't affect dialog skill checks at all. Those are handled by the respective skills, which are independent of the stat. The only skill synergy is Charisma/Leadership, which has some effect on keeping recruits under control, and giving nearby party members a boost to accuracy?

I think the party's Charisma is totaled (aggregated?) for some checks, but I'm not sure what those are. Regardless, as someone pointed out, having it high on one person and low on the others will still leave you >3, or greater than "average," as the game calls it.

The only charisma checks I know of are to see if you're charismatic enough to recruit some of the NPCs you come across. And I don't know how much is required for those. Some NPCs just join regardless of charisma.

The only charisma checks I know of are to see if you're charismatic enough to recruit some of the NPCs you come across. And I don't know how much is required for those. Some NPCs just join regardless of charisma.
If that's the case, you really can dump Charisma on combat-focused characters, unless you care deeply about recruiting NPCs.

BashNasty

I'll be honest, while there are some things here I really like, the clunkiness of the interface is really turning me off. Polish and ease of use is of utmost importance to me in games and Wasteland 2 is lacking a bit in both those areas.

Here's some info I found on recruiting NPCs via charisma, though it's beta info.

Combined party totals are used, including other NPC followers. You seem to need it in increments of 5, so one character joins with 15, another with 20, etc.
In that case, I'll just work it out so I have 15 in total (8 on one character, 7 split across the other three). Kinda gaming the system in advance, but hey, it's a weird system.

Edit: Although it looks like the total includes the Charisma of recruits you add, so it's probably pointless trying to game it on a first playthrough.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh.

From the AMA, there is indication that there may be more depth coming at a later time to the 'headshot' aimed shooting.

Post-launch support is good, in any case.

Haven't put more than a few hours into it so far, but I will say that I'm enjoying what I've played immensely. Game is more of a hybrid of Fallout and Wasteland that I was anticipating, but that's fine since, in most ways, FO was always a modern take on WL minus the party system. Combat seems like it could have been a bit more refined, but it's more than serviceable. Truth be told, I kind-sorta miss the old school phase-based combat of the original, so I would've liked to see more of a 'we-go' hybrid when dealing with spatial element of character placement on the field and general turn actions. Also, the game needs to be patched to include modern features, such as user-selectable behaviors for many common actions taken. For instance, I'd like non-combat to allow for the game to choose to use the character with the highest rated skill or attribute to be selected whenever employing them. If I lockpick, the game should choose the character with the highest lockpick skill by default. Little things like that go a long way toward keeping things from being so micro-heavy. Otherwise, fantastic first release and I hope inXile updates things like the above as well as implementing optional view modes, like an auto-iso-view that keeps navigation on location maps even simpler but still allows auto-zoom for threats and potentially hostile NPCs.

I heard this complaint from 4 or 5 different persons today. I hope the devs also hear it and patch it to work that way.

DeviantBoi

Anyone playing on an older iMac? An Intel Core 2 Duo, to be exact.

I'm pissed that the Mac requirements are so much higher than Windows or Linux.

I heard this complaint from 4 or 5 different persons today. I hope the devs also hear it and patch it to work that way.

Yeah, it's not a game-killer or anything, but it means you'll be engaging in a little more ritualistic patterns of interaction with the interface than is really necessary. They're committed to improving the game in post-release based on user feedback, so I hope many players make these wishes and issues known on the official forum.

From the AMA:

One of the areas that I designed for the game was dropped due to production and of course I had great affinity for it. It was an area in which Ronald Reagan had become a deity.. kind of like real life actually.

This would have been amazing. Bring back this area. And the car crabs.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Thirded.

It was one of the few things I got annoyed with in the beta.

Especially when Dialogue is easily 'switchable' to select the right kiss/hard/smart ass option.

edit:

Lol, someone on the AMA just came up with a standing person shooting over a crouched person and not getting friendly fire. Brian responded by saying the team's just been alerted.

If it happens, this level of support is gonna be fantastic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Thirded.

It was one of the few things I got annoyed with in the beta.

Especially when Dialogue is easily 'switchable' to select the right kiss/hard/smart ass option.

Yeah, that's probably the most annoying thing about the game so far.
I really enjoy everything else though. Combat is not as varied and fun as in Divinity but you can do a lot more stuff outside of combat and the writing is much, much stronger. I'm gonna enjoy this. Glad I backed it back then.
In my opinion they delievered everything they promised, at least so far.

Gazoinks

So, first impressions after playing through the first area:

Game feels good, I think they've fundamentally delivered on their promises. It feels a bit rough around the edges, especially in stuff like character cosmetics (ugly and limited, but it doesn't really matter because of how zoomed out you are most of the time), the amount of button presses required to do some stuff, and the inventory (it feels a bit laggy to come up and moving stuff around is a little annoying).

That said, the game as a whole feels really good. It's atmospheric, the writing is quite good so far, and the gameplay is pretty fun. It's nice and tactical, and the damage numbers are high, which keeps everything feeling appropriately deadly. Overall, I'm very satisfied and looking forward to playing more!

Also, I wish more games let you chose completely meaningless attributes like religion and ethnicity. It adds a lot of flavor to the party.

I was reading some of the guides for skills and noticed it said luck was a dump skil, is it reall? I thought luck was op in most games, i tried it out and kept getting a lot of crits and those lucky horse shoe things.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, are the razor drivers not required? I figured it was the sound library they needed...

If they forced me to install some third party bullshit that is going to pop up update requests I'm going to be pissed.

Rizzi

I found
Ace's Star.
It's not junk, so I feel like it's important but I can't figure out what to do with it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The only time I really roll my own characters are for hardcore dungeon crawlers like MMX, Wizardry, EO, etc.

In more narrative-driven RPGs, I actually prefer to use pre-rolled ones. It feels more natural to me... I show up at a certain time in these character's lives, and have to deal with their strengths and weaknesses.

autoduelist

It's funny how I knew about Wasteland as a kid before Fallout came out (and that the mythos was what inspired FO), even though I never played it. I really think it was the cover art that stuck with me, this is possibly the greatest game box I've ever seen:

Wasteland_Coverart.png

I recently sold a lot of my games from back then. I got an obscene amount of money for the early Ultimas, and a good amount of money for Wasteland and some other stuff. The only one I wish I kept was Wasteland, because I agree, the cover is amazing.

Top Bottom