• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Noaloha

Well I went full blown nerdlinger for my party.

I'm such a loser lol.

Oof! You went too far man, too far. Lost cause. (I say, as I try to hodgepodge a set of portraits to cover Fargo's (TV series) Deputy Solverson, her dad, Gus, his daughter.)

Tigress

I really should stop reading this thread as I need to wait til the game gets cheaper and the more I read this thread the more I want to just give up and buy it now. So far it sounds like the game is pretty awesome.

Now that it is out, anyone have any opinions on if it would run on an Iris graphics? I'm running a 2014 13" Macbook Retina with Iris graphics. From what I've gotten opinions it sounds like yes but that was before the game was out.

Nete

Well I went full blown nerdlinger for my party.

I'm such a loser lol.

WHERE IS JAYNE HAT.

oZb9naE.png

I went the Simon route tho, wanted a medic. And somehow my save has gone nuts. Mal skin tone changed without reason, and Tam portrait switched to Zoe's.

Loving this so far, and all I've done is
hit up the radio tower and head south toward Highpool.

Edit: Here's my party at level 2. If someone can explain why three of them have a +1 Awareness boost at the moment, I'd love to hear it. Not that I'm complaining...

mae.jpg
holden.jpg

pancho.jpg
lefty.jpg

If you know who Holden is, you're awesome.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The loading takes a bit long in area transitions.

But that is hands down the most epic loading screen I have ever seen. Having that classic image displayed on my 40" tv is a thing of beauty.

Is there any way I can change my characters' portraits after you start a game? I didn't realize there were actually hand drawn ones...

ak1276

Banned

Edit: Here's my party at level 2. If someone can explain why three of them have a +1 Awareness boost at the moment, I'd love to hear it. Not that I'm complaining...

mae.jpg
holden.jpg

pancho.jpg
lefty.jpg

You done Cormac proud.

The loading takes a bit long in area transitions.

But that is hands down the most epic loading screen I have ever seen. Having that classic image displayed on my 40" tv is a thing of beauty.

Is there any way I can change my characters' portraits after you start a game? I didn't realize there were actually hand drawn ones...

I don't think so, but there are very few hand drawn portrait options.

However, you can import any image you want too, so yeah...

autoduelist

Could somebody image host those character portraits for those of us who don't use Facebook? That would be great. Do you think it's worth buying the deluxe edition for Bard's Tale? I have never played that and if I remember right there aren't any maps and you must use graph paper. I might be wrong though.

If you're capable of enjoying older crpgs with antiquated controls, Bard's Tale is fantastic. Be forewarned, till you level up a bit it's very difficult -- a random battle in town going to the store can obliterate you.

Sothpaw

mae.jpg
holden.jpg

pancho.jpg
lefty.jpg

Why do characters with 9 int and 4 int have the same amount of skill points?

Decado

Do attributes impact skills at all? I mean besides the +1% bonuses here and there (which really seems like nothing).

EDIT: Also, are there no throwing weapons? Knives, grenades etc. I don't see a throwing skill.

epmode

Has anyone played with the basic premade guys?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I didn't see any premade characters when I launched the final version a few hours ago.

edit: Relaunched the game and the premade characters are back. They're still stuck with the awful replacement portraits though.

edit edit: inXile apparently created a few new portraits for the final release. They look like they're from the original character artist so they're pretty great.

Gazoinks

Do attributes impact skills at all? I mean besides the +1% bonuses here and there (which really seems like nothing).

EDIT: Also, are there no throwing weapons? Knives, grenades etc. I don't see a throwing skill.

Charisma affects the range of Leadership, otherwise no. Grenades are covered under Demolitions, I don't think there are throwing knives or anything.

Why do characters with 9 int and 4 int have the same amount of skill points?
Everyone gets the same number of starting skill points. Characters with 1-3, 4-7, and 8+ INT get 1, 2, and 3 points per level. Or it could be 2, 3, and 4, I can't remember.

INT also puts a cap on the Surgeon skill (to max out surgeon, you need 10 INT).

The system is pretty weird, honestly. Starting stats are very important. Everything else you can more or less pick up along the way.

Volodja

Everyone gets the same number of starting skill points. Characters with 1-3, 4-7, and 8+ INT get 1, 2, and 3 points per level. Or it could be 2, 3, and 4, I can't remember.

INT also puts a cap on the Surgeon skill (to max out surgeon, you need 10 INT).

The system is pretty weird, honestly. Starting stats are very important. Everything else you can more or less pick up along the way.
It's 2 points for 1-3, 3 for 4-7, 4 for 7-9 and 5 for 10 Int.

Decado

Charisma affects the range of Leadership, otherwise no. Grenades are covered under Demolitions, I don't think there are throwing knives or anything.

Thanks. Speaking of Charisma, does the "XP rewards" bonus/penalty have a big impact? Is on everything (XP from combat) or just from quests?

Okay, I think the +1 Awareness thing is a bug. You're meant to get it from
using Animal Whisperer on the goat at Ranger Citadel, but for some reason it applied to three of my guys instead of one, even after the goat got shot by some raiders
. Feels pretty cheesy to have two free stat points for the rest of the game. I'm temped to start over.

duckroll

I didn't even create a party. I picked from the pre-made characters, playing through the early parts of the game, now I'm in Highpool and I think almost all my guys are pretty much out of ammo. I haven't put any skill points into anything because I haven't really read up on the systems in the game even work. I have a feeling that I'm going to be restarting the game in a day or two. Lol.

z1ggy

I've been playing for a few hours and i´m totally in love with this. It's like playing old school Fallout all over again.

Tears of joy.

Volodja

Character creation is harsh because you only get to know if you fucked up hours and hours later.
Like I'm playing at the second difficulty level which isn't supposed to be hard I imagine and I can see that my party has some holes, I can still keep going but it requires a lot of medkits and running around my ranged guys when I hit the melee heavy portions.

I went from a place where I was fighting humans where my high range guys could actually sit comfortably to a place with fast as heck melee dudes that just get in the face of my 2 snipers (one is an NPC, the other is my Int Cha dude that is pretty worthless in fights) and make it impossible to use them basically, and even when I can, they don't hit anything or do no damage.
Burst assault rifles/energy weapons are saving my ass big time and so is the one melee character I have basically standing there getting hit all day. I also had to skill Surgery on 3 people.

But I'm already like 6 hours in so I don't feel like restarting, even if I'm kinda tempted to try and go for a higher difficulty and a more refined party, maybe with a little more melee in it.

Burt

mae.jpg
holden.jpg

pancho.jpg
lefty.jpg

Needs moar points in intelligence and charisma. Demolitions and assault rifles are appropriate though :)

Conezays

Guess I'm alone in the brutal vsync/screen tearing issues on GAF? I saw posts on the game's forum but no real answer at the moment. About 5 hours in and enjoying it a lot otherwise.

I made Blondie, Tuco, and Angel Eyes(plus their non-canon fourth female compatriot). The beginning of these games is always really hard. I just make my decisions and live with it though.

seph1roth

Overall impressions guys?

Reviews are a bit meh...buts texts say a lot of good things about gameplay, design an RPG elements.

seph1roth

Scores in the 80s are a "bit meh"? Seriously?

Well...i expected 90 or something for the return of the real Fallout game.

But, thinking it seriously...those reviews are a bit shitty in content i must say. Polygon said his reviews is from the beta...so, WTF

This game looks amazing but looking at the screenshots, where did the 33gb get allocated to?

Not being a butt I'm genuinely curious... Is this game just absolutely massive?

Overall impressions guys?

Reviews are a bit meh...buts texts say a lot of good things about gameplay, design an RPG elements.

RPGs receive scores 50 points lower than equivalent action titles. So Wasteland 2 will probably end up with an adjusted Metacritic total in the low 130's.

The More You Know.™

This game looks amazing but looking at the screenshots, where did the 33gb get allocated to?

Not being a butt I'm genuinely curious... Is this game just absolutely massive?

The download is like 10 GB, and it decompresses to 22 GB or so (in English at least).

From what I've heard, the massive size has to do with the Unity engine the game uses. It's a bummer, but in this day and age, not that big of a deal.

Certainly is shocking when you first learn about it, though.

Moff

I just eliminated a whole village, including 2 merchants which made me very rich and gave me tons of ammo

I like this game

encountered a bug though
the mayor, who I just killed a few minutes earlier, broadcast a radio message how great and friendly we are as soon as I left the village

RPGs receive scores 50 points lower than equivalent action titles. So Wasteland 2 will probably end up with an adjusted Metacritic total in the low 130's.

The More You Know.™

The download is like 10 GB, and it decompresses to 22 GB or so (in English at least).

From what I've heard, the massive size has to do with the Unity engine the game uses. It's a bummer, but in this day and age, not that big of a deal.

Certainly is shocking when you first learn about it, though.

Ok, this makes sense.
I'll be getting this down the road for sure but that was puzzling me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I'm already considering rerolling my party, too many damn skills that are needed.

God it's going to be eons before I actually make progress in this, lol.

Moff

Man I'm already considering rerolling my party, too many damn skills that are needed.

God it's going to be eons before I actually make progress in this, lol.

you will get skillpoints with every levelup and the first levels of every skill are very cheap, dont worry about them too much, its not really that important which skills you choose at character creation. you can easily miss one per character.

attributes on the other hand are very rare.

Kvik

Anyone rolling toaster repair? Keen to see how useful it is.

Also, those shotgun spreads are a bitch. Friendly fires are no joke. :-\

Top Bottom