• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

I'm getting overwhelmed with the character creation. Can anyone suggest a team build up for me where dialog (using dialog checks and talking my way out of combat), exploration, quest discovery is my main goal? I also want to minimize time spent in combat as much as possible.

AHA-Lambda

I'm getting overwhelmed with the character creation. Can anyone suggest a team build up for me where dialog (using dialog checks and talking my way out of combat), exploration, quest discovery is my main goal? I also want to minimize time spent in combat as much as possible.

I have to admit similarly right now, I'm just at Ag Center and tbh can't tell if I'm playing it in the most effective way =/

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just finished High Pool without issue, this is my team:

Sniper:
C: 4 Skills:
L: 1 Perception 2
A: 6 Sniper Rifles 2
S: 2 Safecracking 1
S: 4 Locking Picking 1
I: 8
C: 3

Medic:
C: 3 Skills:
L: 1 Handuns 2
A: 4 Field Medic 2
S: 2 Surgeon 2
S: 6
I: 10
C: 2

Leader:
C: 6 Skills:
L: 2 Assault Rifles 2
A: 5 Leadership 2
S: 2 Kiss Ass 1
S: 4 Smart Ass 1
I: 4
C: 6

Techie:
C: 4 Skills:
L: 1 Mechanical Repair 1
A: 5 Submachine Guns 2
S: 2 Computer Science 2
S: 5 Toaster Repair 1
I: 8
C: 4

Aside from my leader, most of my party has a bunch of excess skill points as I've only expanded a couple of them, namely my Techie picked up Demolitions, Leader picked up Animal Whisperer and my Sniper picked up Alarm Disarming and beefed up all their skills to level 2 or 3. Now I'm just holding on to them until I find I need to use them and when I'm a bit further a long and may want to expand their fighting capabilities. Like picking up Energy Weapons or one of the Melee weapons since I'm finding I could likely get away with using melee for the killing blow rather than waste ammo on a 2-8 health enemy.

Sothpaw

Surprised Game Informer of all places gave the game an 88. Nice to see anyway.

So last night after work I spent about 2 hours reviewing available npcs and making a party around that. I think I finally have it nailed down. Can't wait to play the actual game today!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played about 5 hours straight last night. Completely lost track of time.

It is just glorious. inExile absolutely nailed it. I was a bit nervous given their previous games, but they still have the magic of Fallout in their blood.

The combat, the writing, the deep interaction of character skills with conversation and the environment.

I can't believe I'm playing a brand new RPG that is as good if not better than the best created during the PC golden age.

This is the Kickstarter dream delivered.

My only complaint is that I didn't get my physical box on launch day. I want that map!

Now back to it!

oneils

This game looks cool but I think if I get it - it will share the same fate as all of the other isometric rpgs I've played.

I spend hours creating a character or party and then after 2 or 3 hours in-game, I start all over again. I don't think I have ever finished one of these games.

I think I may have finished the neverwinter nights original campaign and that is it.

My casual ass has only ever managed to finish the bioware star wars games - just enough changes to the game-systems to make it easier for me (I guess they are not really the same type of game at all but an evolution of them).

I'm progressing through Highpool, and I'm finding it a bit draining. You arrive there, get bombarded with radio messages, explore the area a bit, and immediately you're trust into combat... after combat... after combat... feels a bit dull. I was hoping for a lot more talking and role-playing here honestly. The fact that you can't even talk to any of the raiders so far, or find creative ways to get around the combat is a bit disappointing.

I have the feeling this game is more old school, and that includes the philosophy of lots of combat as the main gameplay part, the whole "rpg where you also can be a talker who avoids combat " came later.

Deraj

So far I'm enjoying the game.. some good writing.. I even like the running text commentary on the firefights.. oh and the first time I realized you could
shoot the gas cylinders and blow up multiple npcs
.. good times.

Is anyone else getting screen tearing when they scroll the screen? The Vsync button doesn't make any difference. I have an R9 280x GPU, btw.

Sothpaw

Just played the first 30 mins or so. I absolutely love it so far. Writing is good, combat is fun and I can't wait to press on this evening.

I think for the foreseeable future of this game, I'm going to save all my skill points and spend them when I come across something I can't do.

Like, some locked door will be all "impossible!" so I know that's the time to spend a point in lockpicking.

Decado

How quickly do you level in this game? Trying to decide how valuable skills points are.

Also, I can't help but wonder how valuable the higher ranks in some of the non-combat skills are.

autoduelist

In my opinion there's no such thing as choosing a wrong skill. Even making a bad choice is roleplaying. I've left a few areas because none in my party had the skill to engineer/fix etc. But I can always attempt that at a later account.

Fallout 3 however there's no need to do anything, the game engine is playing a prank on you. Even with 1% in lockpick you can accomplish everything, game was and still is a joke, doesn't even deserve to bear the fallout name. Can't wait to see how they fuckup fallout 4 with it's terrible writing and kidmode (easy mode)

Agreed! Part of more old school design is that you can't do everything in a game. That feeling of 'missing stuff' is part of the roleplaying... if it was easy to have skill points for everything, then it negates the need for a skillpoint system in the first place. Modern games generally let you do everything, so I think it can be shocking to many playing a game where you aren't all powerful.

I have the feeling this game is more old school, and that includes the philosophy of lots of combat as the main gameplay part, the whole "rpg where you also can be a talker who avoids combat " came later.

I don't even know if that's 'old school'. It remains common today -- it's hard to design a game that has a tactical combat system as it's heart and then not use it. There are obviously 'no kill' rpgs, but they aren't exactly common -- too many people play them because of the combat systems (I know I do).

Here is a link to a file with all the portraits from that FB page.

Link

The password is
Potato

Thanks!

scitek

Hey, here's a dumb question prolly, but how do I get my key from supporting the game on Kickstarter? Or did they change the minimum donation you had to give later on or something? (I gave $15)

Agreed! Part of more old school design is that you can't do everything in a game. That feeling of 'missing stuff' is part of the roleplaying... if it was easy to have skill points for everything, then it negates the need for a skillpoint system in the first place. Modern games generally let you do everything, so I think it can be shocking to many playing a game where you aren't all powerful.
Yep.

Although so far my party has nicely combined to access 90% of what we come across.

CushVA

Citadel:

Anyone else
blow up The Citadel because you pressed the pretty flashing button on the nuke launcher?

AGCenter

the DNA Analyzer told me one of my female characters had a third nipple and one had the mark of the beast, Hail Satan!

epmode

Yep.

Although so far my party has nicely combined to access 90% of what we come across.

The way I understand it, simply finishing quests a certain way will lock you out of a significant amount of content. Future playthroughs should have a lot stuff you haven't seen before, provided you don't do everything the same way.

Dresden

I think I have about six sniper rifles in my inventory right now. The game just keeps tossing them at me (just passed through Highpool). Guess I should sell them since breaking them down isn't yielding anything useful.

Also hoarded like sixty shots of energy cells. Only time I've used my energy weapon has been against the
toad
in
Radio Tower.

Trickster

I haven't had time to play more than 20 minutes of this game, But I'm genuinely curious as to why Divinity Original Sin looks so much better than this game visually. Wasn't Divinity made with like one third of the budget?

epmode

I haven't had time to play more than 20 minutes of this game, But I'm genuinely curious as to why Divinity Original Sin looks so much better than this game visually. Wasn't Divinity made with like one third of the budget?

Nah. I read somewhere that Original Sin's total budget was around €5M. The crowdfunding phase came pretty late in development. It helped a lot, though.

Denton

7 hours in, just finished Highpool underground. Shame about Ag not making it (that last radio transmission was pretty ominous). Kinda love this game so far. Even if I play it as a shooter with my hand on WSAD to play the camera game all the time.

Trickster

Nah. I read somewhere that Original Sin's total budget was around €5M. The crowdfunding phase came pretty late in development. It helped a lot, though.

Ah i see, that makes sense.

Still though, wish this game looked and played as well as Divinity does. To me it's kinda offputting how poor and clunky this game looks and plays.

painey

only played an hour or so, but it's enjoyable. Doesn't feel like Fallout 3 though. My only complaint is the camera sucks... zoomed in it's great, but you can't see enough, and as you zoom out the camera angle is useless... not to mention spinning the camera is a chore (and I can't see a way to invert the spin?)

Are the time sensitive quests based on actual time played or do they send out new radio messages based on progress? Ie, the city I didn't go to sending updates on their impending doom.

only played an hour or so, but it's enjoyable. Doesn't feel like Fallout 3 though. My only complaint is the camera sucks... zoomed in it's great, but you can't see enough, and as you zoom out the camera angle is useless... not to mention spinning the camera is a chore (and I can't see a way to invert the spin?)

The inverted rotation gets me every time.

I, too, wish that the camera zoomed in more, if only so I could take glamour shots of the action. I would almost believe that the reason they disallow it is to avoid any sort of focus on the less-than-ideal models, textures, and animations.

The camera was particularly terrible in the irrigation underground, there were rooms where I spent nearly 10 seconds trying to position things so that one of my characters could pick a lock.

Gothos

Hm, I'm supposed to have an option to be healed in Ranger Citadel but I can't find the required NPC. Where is he?

epmode

Still though, wish this game looked and played as well as Divinity does. To me it's kinda offputting how poor and clunky this game looks and plays.

Gotta remember that Larian's been doing the PC RPG thing for years. This is inXile's history:

The Bard's Tale - 2004 - PC, Mac, Linux, PS2, Ouya, Android, iOS, BlackBerry
Fantastic Contraption - 2008 - Physics game - iOS, PC (Flash)
Super Stacker - 2009 - Physics game- iOS, PC (Flash)
Super Stacker 2 - 2009 - Physics game - iOS, PC (Flash)
Shape Shape - 2009 - Puzzle game - iOS, PC (Flash)
Super Stacker Party - 2010 - Physics game - PS3
Hunted: The Demon's Forge - 2011 - Action - PC, PS3, 360
Choplifter HD - 2012 - Shoot 'em up - PC, Ouya, PS3, 360

CushVA

Hm, I'm supposed to have an option to be healed in Ranger Citadel but I can't find the required NPC. Where is he?

Believe he's in a room north of the museum, may to rotate the camera to see the door along the wall. (If its not there, it might right before the museum)

Torraz

Grrr. Restarted twice already, due to not being happy with party composition.

In essence the problem is that I have four character slots, but five characters I want to create:

1. assault rifle / leadership
2. medic / surgeon
3. tech guy (lots of skills)
4. sniper
5. melee

Not sure if I should go with 1 2 4 5 and spread out the techs over the other chars, although that would require more int on everyone, or whether I should drop one of the other characters.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Believe he's in a room north of the museum, may to rotate the camera to see the door along the wall. (If its not there, it might right before the museum)

No it should be there. Look for a wall on the left side of the museum, near the nuclear warhead

Grrr. Restarted twice already, due to not being happy with party composition.

In essence the problem is that I have four character slots, but five characters I want to create:

1. assault rifle / leadership
2. medic / surgeon
3. tech guy (lots of skills)
4. sniper
5. melee

Not sure if I should go with 1 2 4 5 and spread out the techs over the other chars, although that would require more int on everyone, or whether I should drop one of the other characters.

You know you can recruit up to three companions? There is a pretty good assault lady where you start, so maybe create just 2-5
You should give one of those guys high leadership though

Is there a way to mark things on the map?

Gotta remember that Larian's been doing the PC RPG thing for years. This is inXile's history:

Larian's entire focus during the Early Access phase was refining, perfecting, and polishing the game and its systems. Obviously it paid off in dividends, and was due largely to their previous experience as an RPG developer. Wasteland 2 was more focused on simply finishing the game, which lead to this. I have to imagine inXile will fix and polish the game with upcoming patches.

To be honest, I think the Unity engine is holding the game back quite a bit. A lot of the more unusual design choices are also present in Expedition: Conquistador (another Unity-based RPG). By this I mean stuff like small, recycled areas with transition orbs, bloomy, unclear visuals, and clunky/stiff gameplay. IIRC the engine is bad at streaming textures, so it would never be able to do large, open worlds or seamless transitions in the modern sense.

Of course, using Unity is no excuse for the muddy graphical style or UI. Though, I suppose the former is more of personal preference; I'm really burned out on bloomy brown worlds.

Torraz

No it should be there. Look for a wall on the left side of the museum, near the nuclear warhead

You know you can recruit up to three companions? There is a pretty good assault lady where you start, so maybe create just 2-5
You should give one of those guys high leadership though

Hah, totally did not see any companion. Thanks! That sounds like a good compromise, will just have to make one of them with a bit of CHA / Leadership.

Conezays

So far I'm enjoying the game.. some good writing.. I even like the running text commentary on the firefights.. oh and the first time I realized you could
shoot the gas cylinders and blow up multiple npcs
.. good times.

Is anyone else getting screen tearing when they scroll the screen? The Vsync button doesn't make any difference. I have an R9 280x GPU, btw.

Nobody else answered me on here either ;)

Thankfully you can check here for a temporary solution:

http://www.gog.com/forum/wasteland_series/screen_tearing_aka_vsync/page1

draetenth

Also, as I understand it - Larian could have released Orignal Sin without using kickstarter. The game was essentially complete - it just would have been a buggy, unpolished mess, (maybe like Divine Divinity).

It's why I don' t think it's fair to compare the polish of Divinity: OS to Wasteland 2. You are talking about an experienced PC RPG team in Larian that only really needed kickstarter to properly finish and polish their game versus a team at InXile that doesn't really have a great history that needed kickstarted to even create Wasteland 2. Larian only had to worry about paying the backers and polishing their game. InXile needed to pay backers and create the whole game. I doubt they had as much money (or experience) to allow them to really polish the game. Hopefully, InXile provides some good post-game support.

I'm actually interested to see how Torment will look now that InXile has their feet wet thanks to Wasteland 2. I expect Torment to look and feel better simply because InXile will have better knowledge of their tools.

Anyway, I can't wait to play the game, but I'm in the middle of playing through the whole Fallout/Wasteland Series. I've completed Fallout, now I only need to beat Fallout 2, Tactics, 3, NV, and Wasteland before I start Wasteland 2 so hopefully InXile keeps up the post game support...

Ah, I noticed LurkerPrime essentially said the same thing while i was typing up my post...

Hah, totally did not see any companion. Thanks! That sounds like a good compromise, will just have to make one of them with a bit of CHA / Leadership.
This is a mild spoiler, but I really feel people shouldn't miss out, and it's on the very first map:
before you leave Ranger Citadel, explore the map thoroughly to find a Level 14 NPC who will join you. She has good assault rifles, hard ass, outdoorsman, etc., letting you hold off on pushing those skills.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

If you intend to keep that Lady (and I would cause she kicks ass) her other skills are
Brute Force, Hard Ass, Melee and Outdoorsmanshipthing
Just so you don't put points there ;)

Ugh, feeling urge to start over with a new party. Can't fall into this trap.

I did all my party experimentation during the Beta and spent like 7 hours on it total. But I really like creating characters and now it all pays off

I've been wondering this too. I want to flag safes and traps I can't get past yet.

After having it in Divinity, it feels like a requirement for any open-world game... or any game with a map, really.

Edit
Also, as I understand it - Larian could have released Orignal Sin without using kickstarter. The game was essentially complete - it just would have been a buggy, unpolished mess, (maybe like Divine Divinity).

In the long run, this might actually prove to be the best use of Kickstarter - for polishing, completeness, and ensuring a smooth release.

Even with that Kickstarter support, Larian went all-in on development, going overbudget and overtime to make Divinity: Original Sin all that it could be. It might have even killed the studio entirely had it been anything less than a resounding success. So I don't think it's realistic to say that Divinity: Original Sin would have worked without Kickstarter.

akira28

hey I'm offering a Wasteland 2 key as a bounty for anyone who can help me in the "games you can remember, names you can't" thread. For anyone who hasn't yet taken the plunge.

I can't install my copy yet because I only have 10GB free :(. And I refuse to uninstall Dark Souls2 until I beat it. And Kerbal Space stays on my computer for always. Always.)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Wasteland 2 isn't really what I was expecting, but it's been really fun to learn. I'll probably start fresh after a couple more hours, once I feel like I have a better grip on how everything works. I didn't realize how badly I was wasting points when I initially made my team.

The closest game I've ever played to this is Original Sin, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sothpaw

Ah i see, that makes sense.

I finished Divinity and loved it. Divinity does have better graphics. That said, WL2 has a lot going for it over Divinity. Much better writing and actual dialogue with consequences. Multiple NPC's that have story dialogue. Entire areas that are open/closed off due to choices made. Plus a more serious tone which I prefer over Divinity's more comical take.

Stick with it, game is great.

Top Bottom