• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Moff

Weird, I did the first two things too. Must've missed something/or a weird glitch.

you probably didnt heal the people in the doctors office, there is no quest for that.

on another note, I feel I didnt spend enough points in speed and awareness.
what else is important really? coordination, sure. but who needs intelligence? some strength for armor maybe? forget luck and charisma anyway, both are useless.
speed and awareness now, they determine how much AP you got in combat, and thats by far the most important thing (since skills arent influenced by your attributes anyway). I have one character who has both low speed and awareness and he is next to useless. I really feel they didnt balance the attributes well. the skills are great though, and since you get so many skill points each level up, you cant really do anything wrong there.

apart from that, still a great game, great NPC interaction, which is what I value most in an RPG.

Shengar

You can basically turn any picture into a portrait. Just male them 256x256 pixel and save them in that folder.

I don't where's the right place (or keyword) to search pictures with the right style lol
Portraits that not matching with the game atmosphere bugs me to no end

I'm curious to know this as well... Does it feel like it's a large game full of content?

it is :)

I got my team setup...now I just need to figure out stats for each character.

M3dKKFk.png

beautiful

Sanctuary

I have a question about one of the NPCs you work with...

Wasn't it
Kathy Lawson that unlocked the door for you to first enter the Ag Center main building
? Because she had a very specific character portrait, and after finishing up the majority of the quests and meeting up with her again later on for the final few, she is completely different looking. It's also too bad the the NPC models look nothing like their portrait in most cases too.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I have a question about one of the NPCs you work with...

Wasn't it
Kathy Lawson that unlocked the door for you to first enter the Ag Center main building
? Because she had a very specific character portrait, and after finishing up the majority of the quests and meeting up with her again later on for the final few, she is completely different looking. It's also too bad the the NPC models look nothing like their portrait in most cases too.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

It was either a glitch, or a placeholder that they forgot to change. Her latter portrait actually looks like her, and her 'original' portrait is one of the merchants in the Citadel.

Dr.Acula

Banned
You don't have to re-roll in the early stages of the game. You start leveling really quick. If you have a stat or two that's "unoptimal" you can still get by. Just keep going and the game starts to make more sense.

Honestly this game has too many skills. Especially weapon skills.

It needlessly adds complexity without making the gameplay more interesting, just more micro-management.

Can you imagine if in D:OS you needed a different weapon skill for every type of weapon, Longsword vs Axe etc, and a different skill for every type of bow? Would that have made the game more fun or just more annoying?

Even in FO you had small arms, large arms, and heavy weapons as the weapon skills. not 7 or 8 different type of gun specific skills.

Vaporak

Just finished the first real dungeon area I got to
the AG center after going there first before the other town.
and I thought it was pretty good, lots of chances to use a variety of skills. The boss fight was a let down though, No cover in the room and only one enemy that has tons of hp and damage just made it a pretty boring dps race.

TheYanger

It needlessly adds complexity without making the gameplay more interesting, just more micro-management.

Can you imagine if in D:OS you needed a different weapon skill for every type of weapon, Longsword vs Axe etc, and a different skill for every type of bow? Would that have made the game more fun or just more annoying?

Even in FO you had small arms, large arms, and heavy weapons as the weapon skills. not 7 or 8 different type of gun specific skills.

FO had small, big, energy, unarmed, melee, and throwing. The big difference is, in Fallout you had ONE character. They can make skills more specific because A) you get more skill points relative to what they cost in this, and B) you have 6 times as many people to assign points to.

From my time with Wasteland 2 I'd say it's a game about choices. Not right ones or wrong ones, merely decisions that had to be made. There is no doing it all, and every aspect of the game reinforces this. No one character can do everything, not all situations have the same solutions, and some things just can't be done.

Plus, similar to Divinity, the different weapon skills all apply to a similar class of weapons. Pistols have low damage, but use a plentiful, inexpensive type of ammo and have OK range; they're precise weapons, whereas SMGs have a shorter range but a high rate of fire, making them inherently more chaotic... tactically, they have very different uses, so lumping them both into the same category would only weaken the Dedication to Choice(™) that this game has. (This becomes very apparent during the more hectic battles when mistakes are made.)

It isn't needless complexity when it reinforces the game's core design concept.

TheContact

I don't where's the right place (or keyword) to search pictures with the right style lol
Portraits that not matching with the game atmosphere bugs me to no end

Same. Even Divinity did this. I had to make my character based around the portrait rather than the other way around.

This game gets way better after you finish the first mission and can get into the Ranger Center. Lots more dialogue, lots more information and direction on what you're doing, some nice benefits and interesting things in there. Feels like it comes into its own.

Also Animal Whisperer is awesome, though I wouldn't say you need to invest in it early on. You can get a trinket that gives you a point in it which will be enough to play with it for a few hours. Right now, I uh,
I have a goat and two cows following me everywhere providing 3 characters with passive attribute boosts.

Ok very early game question
is there anything we can do with the tanks of volatile fuel that I see laying about, like can I salvage them or something?

JackDT

I used Charisma as a dump stat for all but one party member, and am now finding out that certain NPCs are only recruitable if your total party charisma is over some threshold. Hmn.

Right now, I uh,
I have a goat and two cows following me everywhere providing 3 characters with passive attribute boosts.
This is a bug; it should only apply to the person who did the Animal Whispering. I don't know what triggered it, but when I restarted the game I managed to get it not to kick in.

The goat has been my trusty sidekick for my first dozen hours or so.

This game has so many stupid little weird details.

I tried to give an item from one person to another when they were too far apart and the game told me as much, and I could click on "Shit!" or "Okay" which made absolutely no difference either way.

This is a bug; it should only apply to the person who did the Animal Whispering. I don't know what triggered it, but when I restarted the game I managed to get it not to kick in.

The goat has been my trusty sidekick for my first dozen hours or so.

It is only applying to the people who did the whispering in my game.

Ludovico

Created my personal character as having max Int, smart ass, small arms, and surgeon.
Then I drafted the Bruiser, Sniper, and the Survivalist.

Just now getting to the world map, can't believe I'm about to be playing the sequel to Wasteland.

Also I love the radio chatter, all sorts of other ranger missions going on. Makes the world feel bigger.

I agree. The radio stuff is really well done (from what I've seen).

Being in the middle of a firefight while the radio is chattering about something else completely unrelated is a great and terrible feeling. I only wish that the radio's text didn't get cut off when you first enter combat - it makes things hard to follow.

Also - and I don't know exactly why - but I absolutely love games with overworld maps like this. I guess, just like the radio chatter, it makes the world feel larger and more alive.

Vaporak

Also I love the radio chatter, all sorts of other ranger missions going on. Makes the world feel bigger.

I went back to the citadel to check out the beginning merchant lady after I finished my first notable mission and saw another ranger squad heading out. Hearing them reporting what they're doing over the radio for a bit now is a really nice detail.

KingV

What sort of specs are need d for this. Playing on a laptop with 4GB RAM, an older i5, and somewhat crappy dedicated graphics. I'm able to play Diablo 3 relatively decently... Think I will be able to keep up with this too?

Grayman

Off to a rough start without A medic but things are going well for me now.

About the skill diversity I don't mind the weapon separation at all. It is a weakness of systems like this that a character good with an assault rifle can be unreasonably bad with a shotgun but I am ok with that disbelief. A better too many skills argument is that logically lockpick, safecracking and then mechanics, toaster repair, and weaponsmith could be decreased from five skills to two. I understand they are that way for game balance and don't mind it though.

For people who have been playing a bit longer: what does each point in field medic do? is there a noticeable jump in healing that saves supplies? I don't know what to buy on my brainy character so I am saving points until I reach threshold problems like a lock I want to open and I spend the one more level in it.

Grayman

Oh in highpool

how do I get the power
onto the crane? I seem to be missing something obvious.

What sort of specs are need d for this. Playing on a laptop with 4GB RAM, an older i5, and somewhat crappy dedicated graphics. I'm able to play Diablo 3 relatively decently... Think I will be able to keep up with this too?

except for video card your laptop is better than my PC so you should be fine on lower settings.

Volodja

Oh in highpool

how do I get the power
onto the crane? I seem to be missing something obvious.

except for video card your laptop is better than my PC so you should be fine on lower settings.
Look at the map of highpool, there are 2 places where you can enter the tunnels area, the one on the left side brings you to the area where you manage to get the power back.

Xanathus

OK I'm blind, can someone tell me where is the radio tower in Highpool where I attach the Repeater Unit? I've done all the quests there and went there first.

OK I'm blind, can someone tell me where is the radio tower in Highpool where I attach the Repeater Unit? I've done all the quests there and went there first.

It's near where you enter the town, right beside the elevator. More precisely, from the top of the elevator, it is to the left when facing the center of town. The control console is what you want, and you'll need to use the repeater unit on the console to attach it.

Jigorath

Banned
Quick question. I never played the original Wasteland, but I did play the first two Fallout games. How similar is this? I was worried that it might be too action heavy without much plot or RPG elements.

rickyson1

how do you get to the east field in the ag center? it keeps saying something about a busted door in the central shaft whatever that is

Xanathus

It's near where you enter the town, right beside the elevator. More precisely, from the top of the elevator, it is to the left when facing the center of town. The control console is what you want, and you'll need to use the repeater unit on the console to attach it.

Thanks, I forgot that that thing was different from the elevator controls.

hemtae

how do you get to the east field in the ag center? it keeps saying something about a busted door in the central shaft whatever that is

When you go into the building, go straight (not into any of the greenhouses) and if you follow that hallway, you should get into the basement. The basement will have a hall going east, west, and then another one going into the mushroom caves. The hallway east will take you to the east field.

Hope that was clear enough.

rickyson1

When you go into the building, go straight (not into any of the greenhouses) and if you follow that hallway, you should get into the basement. The basement will have a hall going east, west, and then another one going into the mushroom caves. The hallway east will take you to the east field.

Hope that was clear enough.

problem was I couldn't get through that eastern hallway

kept getting a message about a flashing red light telling me that the airlock was hard locked and that it probably has something to do with a busted door in the main shaft,and I couldn't get through the fans either

I just did yet another pass around that area though and it turns out that my problem all along was just me being blind,there was one of those green plants you need to destroy blocking the last fan all along and I never noticed it

Grayman

Look at the map of highpool, there are 2 places where you can enter the tunnels area, the one on the left side brings you to the area where you manage to get the power back.

Ah there we go.
I took a route through that switch puzzle that avoided room 6.
Thank you.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I swear, I've had more jamming chances with a 1-3% chance during combat than should be statistically probable.

Top Bottom