• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Onemic

Can you have more than 4 people in a party? If not, then would it still be worthwhile to put points into certain skills that some future followers may have in the game?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Can you have more than 4 people in a party? If not, then would it still be worthwhile to put points into certain skills that some future followers may have in the game?

Yes, you can have a total of 7 party members at any time.

If you're ok with cheating just edit the xml files. I admit I did it for similar reasons :/

I think the game needed a robust tutorial of some sort cod we're seeing this come up in this thread too many times now.

If you were around when the kickstarter began, the forums were flooded with people who were vehemently against tutorials, fast travel, clear mission objectives, hand holding, voice acting, or anything else considered modern.

For the most part, the developers listened and I think we ended up with a better product overall, even if I also had to restart.

O.DOGG

Umm, guys, I can't find
Virgil in Rodia.

I killed the Jerk leader and now I'm told by the mayor that Virgil can fix the Watts towers but I can't find him anywhere. I'm sure I can fix it if I really have to but I'm trying to save my points for more useful skills.

EDIT: Never mind. Just found him. Took me only about 30 minutes.

I've had Wasteland 2 since it was early access and at the risk of making myself look stupid I've never been able to move any of the characters. left click does nothing, right click rotates the view, what am I doing wrong?

Baconmonk

I've had Wasteland 2 since it was early access and at the risk of making myself look stupid I've never been able to move any of the characters. left click does nothing, right click rotates the view, what am I doing wrong?

Right click the ground should work, holding middle or right mouse rotates, while left selects characters and interacts with the world.

Sanctuary

I dismissed the shotgun hobo, does anyone know there companions go when you dismissed them? he is not at the ranger citadel, not where I left him and not where I picked him up in the first place.

They are supposed to show up at the Citadel, but I haven't gone back to check to see if they are still there. When I swapped out one NPC later on for another (who was almost identical except with different/better skills) he stayed at the spot I swapped him out.

Also, I was just assuming things when I said that
Rose
was the best recruitable NPC in the game. Well, overall it seems like that's the case if nothing has changed since that round of NPC tweaks.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7991 (SUPER SPOILER about recruitable NPCS). This kind of sucks. Also, Scotchmo has a lot of hilarious dialogue if nothing else. He's pretty useless for skills, so I just started leveling animal whisperer. Which so far has not been useful at all really.

You basically have a party of 5 +1 (fill out 1-2 useful skills) +1 pack mule and overall useless otherwise
once you lose a pretty badass NPC :(

If you were around when the kickstarter began, the forums were flooded with people who were vehemently against tutorials, fast travel, clear mission objectives, hand holding, voice acting, or anything else considered modern.

For the most part, the developers listened and I think we ended up with a better product overall, even if I also had to restart.

Against voice acting? I guess if theyre arguing it may affect budget allocation from more important areas or discourage lengthy writing, but otherwise it seems like a rather arbitrary thing to dislike. As long as its competently acted, i dont see how it would hurt this game.

Sanctuary

Against voice acting? I guess if theyre arguing it may affect budget allocation from more important areas or discourage lengthy writing, but otherwise it seems like a rather arbitrary thing to dislike. As long as its competently acted, i dont see how it would hurt this game.

Actually, I never thought I'd argue against voice acting either, but in the case of this game, it's actually a very mixed bag. Some of it is passable, while much of it is flat out terrible. Besides being terrible, it's very distracting having to hear it while trying to actually read the dialogue as it's slowly being printed out. Very sloppy overall. This is a game that would have been better off with either slightly more limited voice acting or none at all.

Near the end game now and the game is really not balanced well which is a shame. I have changed my opinion about Intelligence, it's not as important as I thought in early levels because eventually you get so many skill points either way.

I started my party (restart after four hours) with 10/8/8/4 and that seems to be almost about right for what you need. Mostly because some skills are just way better than others and you only need one combat skill overall, or in the case of melee, you can take two. Assault and Snipers do not need any other weapon skills as a backup. Sharing the same kind of "scarce" ammo only matters until maybe level 10. Currently I have 10k scrap and more than enough ammo to last another couple of hour's worth of combat. The other ranged weapons are that shitty in comparison aside from maybe handguns. In the case of a "brainy" character, they can get by with a decent handgun to help finish off enemies. The range might be smaller, but they do crit a lot.

I'd say that at least a third, if not half of the non combat skills can be entirely skipped and you wouldn't miss out on anything which is a shame. I am more than halfway done with the game and I am currently stockpiling skill points on my Sniper simply because I have not found anything that needs higher than 6 in either Toaster Repair or Mechanical yet. I also have a Surgeon at 10 with Medic at 8 and my Melee/Energy character has Surgeon at 1 and Medic at 4.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd also say that there's almost no reason to take your combat skill to 10 unless you really want that extra crit and if you are not a Sniper. For a Sniper it's still kind of a maybe. Your chance to hit ends up so high that it allows you to constantly do +200% damage (headshot), but the bonus to crit doesn't matter since you can't crit a headshot. There are times though when you have to decide between a single headshot (increase AP cost) or being able to do 2x normal shots with a chance to crit, non crouching. I am also using a rank 10 Leadership skill on my leader, even though it only gives you 50% of the hit bonus the tooltip claims. That, combined with crouch gives everyone an additional 20% chance to hit. That saves a hell of a lot of skill points since ranks 9/10 cost a ton for the gains. Assault Rifles can headshot too, but it feels like a waste since you'll more than likely want to be using burst mode until enemies are low, and each shot can crit independantly. You also already lose a lot of chance to hit when using burst and it's not really made up with the final two ranks of the skill. Which you can actually get later on since you'll be swimming in skill points, but for the first half of the game it's not needed at all.

Yeah it was definitely a budget thing. I remember at the time it really surprised the devs, but it makes sense: people wanted an old school Infinity Engine type RPG with loads of dialogue. If you commit to voice acting everything, you just can't have as much, especially on an almost shoestring budget (comparatively to other modern games).

I would be one of those vehemently against voice acting. If you have a requirement that every line of dialog needs to be voiced then you can't really have a lot of dialog. Less dialog means less branching, less flavor, etc. I'd go so far as to say that voice acting tends to be immersion-breaking as NPC would generally have so little to say and the same voice would get reused on so many characters.

Sanctuary

I would be one of those vehemently against voice acting. If you have a requirement that every line of dialog needs to be voiced then you can't really have a lot of dialog. Less dialog means less branching, less flavor, etc. I'd go so far as to say that voice acting tends to be immersion-breaking as NPC would generally have so little to say and the same voice would get reused on so many characters.

This game is worse than Oblivion/Skyrim in that regard. It doesn't help that only two or three people can actually voice act.

it was purely about the budget, and prioritising as much money as possible on writing and the word count for this game completely reflects that

Some of it is passable, while much of it is flat out terrible. Besides being terrible, it's very distracting having to hear it while trying to actually read the dialogue as it's slowly being printed out. Very sloppy overall. This is a game that would have been better off with either slightly more limited voice acting or none at all.

whut. I think the va here is very well done

That seemed to be the general vibe. It was sort of, you have 3 million, don't waste it on voice acting we are fine with text. But InXile made it work.

In a text-heavy game like this, less is definitely more when it comes to voice acting. But I think there's value in having just an introductory line voice-acted; it's a great short-cut for characterization and is all you need to read the rest in that character's voice. Hearing Vargas' timbre and drawl went a long way in my mind to fleshing him out.

This game is worse than Oblivion/Skyrim in that regard. It doesn't help that only two or three people can actually voice act.

Wait, are voice actors reused much? First of all there aren't many voice acted characters period, who is reused?

In a text-heavy game like this, less is definitely more when it comes to voice acting. But I think there's value in having just an introductory line voice-acted; it's a great short-cut for characterization and is all you need to read the rest in that character's voice. Hearing Vargas' timbre and drawl went a long way in my mind to fleshing him out.

Yes, definitely.

Well to be fair, at the radio tower when I heard the message from Matthias my first reaction was "oh man, that's going to be our main villain, that's unfortunate..."

I think the radio effect probably covered up some of the badness, it'll probably be worse in person.

Sanctuary

Wait, are voice actors reused much? First of all there aren't many voice acted characters period, who is reused?

Yes, definitely.

In the first four to eight hours (depending on your order) alone you hear the same two guys reused for 3-5 different characters. They aren't using the exact same inflections for each character, but you can clearly hear it's the same people. These two VAs are also about the only ones in the game that could be considered "good".

Most of it is so "not very well done" that they could have used the two dollars spent on something more useful. Like a real area map.

ParityBit

Depends on your party make up and what they already have. Generally I've been pumping up my weapon skills when they start to show some lag in combat and then only level up my secondary skills as they are needed. It's no use to load up on skills or secondary weapons until you find you need it. Especially if another character already has those skills. Most of my party has a good dozen or two skill points at the ready, they are all around level 16-17 now. With that I will be able to pick up a few secondary skills or secondary weapon skill to a high level if the need arises.

I suggest keeping the pool until you come across skill checks that say "0% impossible" and then increase those skills by a level or two. Otherwise you could be caught with your pants down and no way to open a door or disarm a trap.

Once I got up to like 40 skill points on my characters, I figured I had enough leeway to level weapon skills a little, everyone's at level 4 or 5 now (I'm like level 16).

Thanks guys! I will hold onto mine for now until I need them.

Santar

Anybody else experienced items disappearing from the inventory.
Ti's happened multiple times now, was on my way to sell a lot of scrap I'd collected only to find it was all gone when I got to the trader.
I really hope the devs are aware of this.

Not being able to trust that you have the items you think you have in a game where items are as important in this one is a bit of a serious problem.
Guess I'll just have to wait for a patch.

Anybody else experienced items disappearing from the inventory.
Ti's happened multiple times now, was on my way to sell a lot of scrap I'd collected only to find it was all gone when I got to the trader.
I really hope the devs are aware of this.

Not being able to trust that you have the items you think you have in a game where items are as important in this one is a bit of a serious problem.
Guess I'll just have to wait for a patch.

"Scrap," the item you see when you loot things, is not a physical scrap item but is actually in-game currency. Even though vendors use a dollar sign they mean scrap.

If you're talking about actual scrap items like dog fur and broken CDs, then I dunno. It's been said that some NPCs will actually steal items, so far the only instance of that people know of is
Scotchmo stealing Snake Squeezins from other party members, it just magically goes into his inventory.

Santar

"Scrap," the item you see when you loot things, is not a physical scrap item but is actually in-game currency. Even though vendors use a dollar sign they mean scrap.

If you're talking about actual scrap items like dog fur and broken CDs, then I dunno. It's been said that some NPCs will actually steal items, so far the only instance of that people know of is
Scotchmo stealing Snake Squeezins from other party members, it just magically goes into his inventory.

Really?!
I didn't know that scrap was actually the currency, thanks for the information.
Then I can continue playing, as that was the most serious instance of the bug.

Moff

I just found the hobo companion again and the weirdest thing happened, slowly, over the course of about 2 minutes, items that belonged to him earlier, wandered from another characters back into his inventory. it was 4 bottles of alcohol. but one after the other, with long breaks in between. that was really weird, and no dialogue or anything that would have explained it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I just found the hobo companion again and the weirdest thing happened, slowly, over the course of about 2 minutes, items that belonged to him earlier, wandered from another characters back into his inventory. it was 4 bottles of alcohol. but one after the other, with long breaks in between. that was really weird, and no dialogue or anything that would have explained it.

He steals. First time I had him in the group a little text box came up saying I was robbed or something was stolen.

Volodja

Okay, I don't know if my starting 4 dudes are really Rangers or the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse wearing a convincing disguise.
Wherever we go devastation is quick to follow.
I'm moderatly fine with that.

batfax

Yes, you can actually find it pretty close by.

Though until I hear the repercussions of my doing things peacefully, I kind of wish I just straight up murdered 'em. Terrible people doing terrible things for terrible reasons. I can always do that next time though.

AHA-Lambda

I'm actually ok with them not having most of those things, just the tutorial aspect; personally I think there's been too much fumbling in the dark =/

Has anyone had problems with items unbinding themselves from the hotkey bar? It's happened to me a handful of times and I can't figure out what's causing it.

Rebinding the smokes is always a pain.

Has anyone had problems with items unbinding themselves from the hotkey bar? It's happened to me a handful of times and I can't figure out what's causing it.

Yeah, that happens to me, I lose my shovel often. You know, I bet it has to do with it being an item, and the game briefly thinks it's no longer in your inventory for some reason.

What the heck do the smokes do? I haven't wanted to waste them if they're a consumable.

Yeah, I don't know why it does this. I notice medical items slipping off most often.

did you guys see this? people including brian fargo is going bananas over this review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/19/wasteland-2-review-the-toxic-adventure/

I can't disagree with the review. I haven't experienced any crashes myself, but enough odd issues to see where he's coming from. The game is fun, but the technical side really holds the game back.

Fargo's behaviour is odd.

I like how the comments point out that Joystiq had plenty of complaints about Skyrim's bugginess yet gave it a 5/5.

If you had played Skyrim at launch and saw, far in the distance, a mammoth fly into the sky... you would understand. Skyrim's bugs can be both charming and/or frustrating. Wasteland 2's are only the latter.

Volodja

I for one sure as hell would like it if some of the characters I dismissed didn't just disappear instead of going to the Citadel.
I'm pretty much forced into a specific party right now because I can't lose my Weaponsmith guy even if I don't want to take him along with me.

I for one sure as hell would like it if some of the characters I dismissed didn't just disappear instead of going to the Citadel.
I'm pretty much forced into a specific party right now because I can't lose my Weaponsmith guy even if I don't want to take him along with me.

This might not apply to you, but others have mentioned that they aren't all in the same spot within the Citadel. For instance, some are in the mess room, while others reside in the museum.

Or it could be a bug.
I now await a Brian Fargo post telling me to play the release version.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with the review if it actually listed bugs that occur in the release version of the game. Maybe a 3/5 is justified, but in that case they should be criticizing it based on bugs that people are experiencing now, not cursors disappearing or crashes to desktop.

A review's job is to inform the readers about the game. If it tells everyone that the game crashes to the desktop when it doesn't, and doesn't tell everyone that an increased water supply breaks after an encounter when it does, then it has failed on two counts.

I don't have a problem with the game getting a lower score, but I do when the review lists problems that aren't present. For like, anybody.

Holy shit, this fucking tortoise better be taking me somewhere good.

BCA79EC40A6691B694E941335502D5277F8F569D

I'm dying

Wanace

Holy shit, this fucking tortoise better be taking me somewhere good.

I'm dying

LOL, I followed it too. I won't spoil it.

Anyone know in the canyon of
the mad monks
if I kill
some diamondback militia, before I find their base, if that side of this quest is ended for me? I'd rather join them against the monks but I've got a monk following me now and entering the next area there are some militia there who get into a fight with me.

Almighty

Well restarted a day or so ago and finally got back to where I was. Now the problem is that as soon as I hit the Canyon of Titan I am getting a crash to desktop every ten minutes or so. What makes it even worse is before that I haven't had a single crash on the 40ish hours I played until I arrived at the canyon.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with the review if it actually listed bugs that occur in the release version of the game. Maybe a 3/5 is justified, but in that case they should be criticizing it based on bugs that people are experiencing now, not cursors disappearing or crashes to desktop.

A review's job is to inform the readers about the game. If it tells everyone that the game crashes to the desktop when it doesn't, and doesn't tell everyone that an increased water supply breaks after an encounter when it does, then it has failed on two counts.

I don't have a problem with the game getting a lower score, but I do when the review lists problems that aren't present. For like, anybody.

There's no question that the release version of the game is buggy. You need only look through this thread for proof of that.

LIKE SO:
Well restarted a day or so ago and finally got back to where I was. Now the problem is that as soon as I hit the Canyon of the Titan I am getting a crash to desktop every ten minutes or so. What makes it even worse is before that I haven't had a single crash on the 40ish hours I played until I arrived at the canyon.

Well damn, that sucks! Maybe get in contact with inXile - they might be able to fix it on their end somehow, or patch it.

In any case, I hope they fix it soon.

Grayman

I have had one gameplay crash as a laser robot lit up one of my characters. The game has just failed to load from main menu and C2D from the loading screen.

It seems like the review likes the game a lot but had enough of a bad experience with bugs to not recommend buying it. Score is a little odd that the top part sounds like a 4 then the last paragraphs knock it to a 2 with some flamatory comments.

Top Bottom