• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Man, not being able to setup an ambush outside of combat is *really* annoying. Given that combat is such a major focus in this game (which itself is also annoying), placing characters in strategic positions and initiating combat with moronic AI that just charges would be much better with ambush functionality.

Having a ton of trouble in the (early on)
prison
, the
Red Skorpions
are kicking my butt, mainly because they outnumber my party 1.5:1, and the guys with
dynamite
aren't helping either.

batfax

Lobbers were definitely my first introduction to prioritizing my targets. Though, around the prison is also when I first learned how great it was for the player to use explosives. Dang things are pretty great for bunched-up trash raiders or just letting melee attackers get an occasional hit in without risking moving away from, say, a sniper they need to protect. Still... I really wish there was a "formation" system for exploring areas so that you didn't end up accidentally running into fights with everyone bunched up and then promptly hit by explosives, or having melee guys stuck in the middle unable to move.

Ambushing is a whole 'nother thing though. The main issue is that it's REALLY hard to get your rangers into position due to most enemy's large field of vision (particularly robots). It is possible to get the jump on enemies with some nice placement in a lot of scenarios though. It just requires a lot of micromanagement of each ranger to get them into position without starting the fight. Some stealth skills would be a wonderful thing for that...

Volodja

I've been able to set up my team prior to a fight pretty much all game, my vision range is always much superior to the enemies (I have a few people with 9 to 10 awareness).
I just start the fight by using all my ranged characters to attack a single dude, this usually kills him and starts the fight on my terms. It's pretty much necessary in certain fights because you instantly remove one enemy.

The only situations where it's impossible is when the fight is started automatically after entering an area. Even if it's started by a dialogue I can set up my team before I start the conversation and I just have 1 dude out of position, but usually it's my melee guy that gets a turn very early and just walks out of there.

Helps that in my squad I have like 5 people that walk aroudn with High Powered Scopes and/or Long Barrels and hit from insane distances, I prioritized building range on them a lot.

Minor California Spoilers:
Whittier
is busting my balls
That fight forced me to change a few things in my party. Good example of a
fight right after entering an area

Deraj

I get everyone in position out of range then my sniper starts the encounter and the first turn goes to my sniper too, so I get a free shot every time. Then since everyone is out of range I can set them to ambush as the enemy moves in. As for the prison,
you can sneak around the back way and get the drop on most of them using ambush tactics again. Force them to come at you a few at a time.

Man, not being able to setup an ambush outside of combat is *really* annoying. Given that combat is such a major focus in this game (which itself is also annoying), placing characters in strategic positions and initiating combat with moronic AI that just charges would be much better with ambush functionality.

prison
, the
Red Skorpions
are kicking my butt, mainly because they outnumber my party 1.5:1, and the guys with
dynamite
aren't helping either.

Shengar

prison
, the
Red Skorpions
dynamite
aren't helping either.

Do you deal with the Red Skorpion rightly after finishing Ag Center/Highpool? If soo, no wonder they kick your ass. Those bastards at the front gate have two machine gun wielder, one or two sharpshooter, some gunner and one explosive lobber. Even I with some overleveled party after finishing
Rail Nomad Camp and Darwin Village
before hand still have to retry once, and I flank them that time.

I guess your sniper, if you had one, need to be really good, and have the appropiate skill to attack them from behind. Either that, or deal with other area first.

Begaria

The .50 anti-material sniper rifle is freaking awesome. A decent crit rate on my sniper (about 35%ish) and the innate high damage of the rifle plus its Armor penetration is just wrecking shit.

Shengar

The .50 anti-material sniper rifle is freaking awesome. A decent crit rate on my sniper (about 35%ish) and the innate high damage of the rifle plus its Armor penetration is just wrecking shit.

That sounds like the weapon could one shot anything. How much AP pershot though, and of course the rarity of the ammo.

Volodja

That sounds like the weapon could one shot anything. How much AP pershot though, and of course the rarity of the ammo.
I don't even care about the rarity of the ammo at this point, I got like 16k gold at one point so I can just buy so much of ammo to last me the entire rest of the game.
The 7 AP hurts at times, however.

Begaria

I don't even care about the rarity of the ammo at this point, I got like 16k gold at one point so I can just buy so much of ammo to last me the entire rest of the game.
The 7 AP hurts at times, however.

It's 110-140 Damage on the sniper rifle, and with a fairly high crit chance in the 30% range. Boosting all of that stuff with mods makes it even better, and I've got it down to 0% jam chance. Yeah, it's 7 AP, but your sniper isn't going to move often, and my crits are in the 200+ range. It's .50 caliber rounds, which are pricey, but you get enough scrap and things to trade for the ammo it really doesn't matter.

Also, I was down on Heavy Weapons earlier in this thread. For the vast majority of the game, they ain't great.

Then came the Mini-gun, which has a 0% chance to jam, 22-30x8 damage, holds 200 rounds, and has decent range. It's a very scary weapon to be shot at with, but a hell of a lot of fun to use!

Tampinha

I give up from trying to make this not overheat my GPU. This game's perfomance doesn't make any sense, opening up a character sheet almost fries my GPU.

Volodja

It's 110-140 Damage on the sniper rifle, and with a fairly high crit chance in the 30% range. Boosting all of that stuff with mods makes it even better, and I've got it down to 0% jam chance. Yeah, it's 7 AP, but your sniper isn't going to move often, and my crits are in the 200+ range. It's .50 caliber rounds, which are pricey, but you get enough scrap and things to trade for the ammo it really doesn't matter.

Also, I was down on Heavy Weapons earlier in this thread. For the vast majority of the game, they ain't great.

Then came the Mini-gun, which has a 0% chance to jam, 22-30x8 damage, holds 200 rounds, and has decent range. It's a very scary weapon to be shot at with, but a hell of a lot of fun to use!
Yeah, that sniper rifle is strong, I carry 2 around with extra range and they hit at like 48 meters away and one of my snipers has around 40% crit chance.
It's pretty insane.

And the issue I have with Heavy Weapons is that I don't have anyone with the skill so I have to rely on the NPC that uses it but even with maxed leadership the dude still has a 20% chance of losing control, and that's not something I wanna deal with.

Xanathus

Take all of your armor off before the fight

I feel this shouldn't be spoilered because that part and how energy weapons work is extremely bullshit and ridiculous, or at least they shouldn't work that way against your own characters. It's not informed anywhere (well maybe in the manual but who reads that?).

Basically energy weapons do extremely high damage to you if you have high armor, it's something like 50-100 damage per shot when you have 7-9 armor compared to 20 damage with 0 armor.

Volodja

I feel this shouldn't be spoilered because that part and how energy weapons work is extremely bullshit and ridiculous, or at least they shouldn't work that way against your own characters. It's not informed anywhere (well maybe in the manual but who reads that?).

Basically energy weapons do extremely high damage to you if you have high armor, it's something like 50-100 damage per shot when you have 7-9 armor compared to 20 damage with 0 armor.
Each Energy weapon has a threshold, if you hit an enemy that has over that armor value, you do about 2.4x damage, same as that value about 0.9x and less 0.4x. Those seem to be the most common multipliers, and it's told in the skill description that they do more damage the higher the armor is and the numbers for it are on the weapons themselves.
It could be explained better maybe, but it is explained.
And I don't see why your characters would be the exceptions, it would make energy weapons on enemies completely pointless and I enjoyed having half my team take 9 damage from them (4 to 5 armor, only one had 7 but I kept him out of the plasma rifles).

Begaria

So
Hollywood
is as unpolished as everyone says it is. I've done pretty much everything I can possibly do there. You can do things out of order which makes the chain of events not make sense. I somehow luckily did most of it in order, but not all of it. For example,
I "took care" of the roaches in the drugstore (rather the puppy did) before asking for the vote support, and when I did ask for the vote support he asked me to take care of the roach problem, even though the two of them were already inside their store.
. Also, yeah, the quest chain for
The Broken Man
just completely breaks and cannot be completed even if you kill his rival at the end of it. At the very least, I made out like a bandit and am now filled to the brim with ammo, scrap, and medical supplies.

Uriah

Have they said anything about when the next patch hits? I'd like to hold off playing
Hollywood
since I've hear there are a lot of bugs there.

Volodja

Finally finished it. Overall I really really enjoyed it, it had a lot of issues for sure but the amount and quality of text made me feel like I was walking in an alive world (when stuff didn't bug out) and I really enjoyed the combat too, for what it was.
It elevates my hopes for Torment very high, even if the bugs ruined a couple of passages.

Ended up (spoiler for the very end)
having Vargas remain back, but I have a save right before so I could just reload and do it with someone else
The last few fights were more a matter of
keeping all of the dudes I brought with me alive, of the named dudes only Kekkabah ended up dying, but I didn't like how the Rail Nomad Camp storyline ended up for me, so I was fine with it. Fuck him.

So
Hollywood
is as unpolished as everyone says it is. I've done pretty much everything I can possibly do there. You can do things out of order which makes the chain of events not make sense. I somehow luckily did most of it in order, but not all of it. For example,
I "took care" of the roaches in the drugstore (rather the puppy did) before asking for the vote support, and when I did ask for the vote support he asked me to take care of the roach problem, even though the two of them were already inside their store.
. Also, yeah, the quest chain for
The Broken Man
just completely breaks and cannot be completed even if you kill his rival at the end of it. At the very least, I made out like a bandit and am now filled to the brim with ammo, scrap, and medical supplies.
Have you checked
in the chapel(where the wife of the head of the church was)?
The wife, Veronica and the broken man should be waiting in there, I was confused as heck as well the first time, but as soon as you kill his rival, you can just go there without having to kill anybody else. I even sniped him from the other side of the room without having to fight anybody else except the old store owner that is way too close to the backdoor entrance.

Sothpaw

Where do you get that rifle? Just getting back into the game after a break for the final Dark Souls 2 DLC. I am about to start up in Titan Canyon.

Volodja

Where do you get that rifle? Just getting back into the game after a break for the final Dark Souls 2 DLC. I am about to start up in Titan Canyon.
It's gonna be a while, then. And a bit more still before you'll find a vendor that carries the ammo for it reliably.

Volodja

Ah ok cool. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a special missable item.
No no, it's not a unique weapon.
But you should find one around a bit before you find a shop that sells it, but getting ammo when you get that one could be somewhat awkward.

DiscoJer

So
Hollywood
is as unpolished as everyone says it is. I've done pretty much everything I can possibly do there. You can do things out of order which makes the chain of events not make sense.

I really have to think that part was rushed. You have the freedom to do it out of order, but it's like they didn't set up the game to take all the permutations of what you do into account (like in other places).

Almost more seems unfinished than unpolished,

Begaria

Have you checked
in the chapel(where the wife of the head of the church was)?
The wife, Veronica and the broken man should be waiting in there, I was confused as heck as well the first time, but as soon as you kill his rival, you can just go there without having to kill anybody else. I even sniped him from the other side of the room without having to fight anybody else except the old store owner that is way too close to the backdoor entrance.

I did check there. When I got to the rival's end, I rocket launched the ever living shit out of his troops killing every single one of them to start the battle off. Then I killed him. The Broken Man actually said, "I wasn't looking forward to working with him anyways" right behind me. I went and checked the chapel and there was a single person in there in a red robe that I was not able to talk to. I went back to the area in Hollywood where the Broken Man originally send you off on this errand and he was standing there. I talked to him and he said to go do the thing I just did.

Then I left Hollywood and carried on with the story.

*shrug*

Volodja

I did check there. When I got to the rival's end, I rocket launched the ever living shit out of his troops killing every single one of them to start the battle off. Then I killed him. The Broken Man actually said, "I wasn't looking forward to working with him anyways" right behind me. I went and checked the chapel and there was a single person in there in a red robe that I was not able to talk to. I went back to the area in Hollywood where the Broken Man originally send you off on this errand and he was standing there. I talked to him and he said to go do the thing I just did.

Then I left Hollywood and carried on with the story.

*shrug*
Maybe you have to destroy the cannon outside too. Who knows.
About him being at the place he was at before, it doesn't mean much, there's a couple characters in that area that can be in two places at the same time. He can be both there and at the chapel. It's confusing even when you manage to finish the mission anyway,

TheContact

I'm at the AG center and all my characters hp is low and I have no ammo so they're meleeing people with 4% chance to hit and I can't leave because the girl gets pissed if I try to leave. Is there any way to restore hp by like resting in a bed or something? I can't do anything because as soon as I hit the poison in the basement I'm dead. This is frustrating, there should be a way to heal out of combat without use of med packs

Also how come lockpicking doesn't work on safes? It saves invalid target. Is there another way I'm supposed to open it?

I'm at the AG center and all my characters hp is low and I have no ammo so they're meleeing people with 4% chance to hit and I can't leave because the girl gets pissed if I try to leave. Is there any way to restore hp by like resting in a bed or something? I can't do anything because as soon as I hit the poison in the basement I'm dead. This is frustrating, there should be a way to heal out of combat without use of med packs

Also how come lockpicking doesn't work on safes? It saves invalid target. Is there another way I'm supposed to open it?

The safes have dials on them (usually) so you'll need safecracking. Occasionally they'll have electronic locks and need computer science.

Zabojnik

Hm, I'm getting blocked by a bug.
I just fucked the crazy monks' shit up in the Temple of Titan, went back out, on my way to the DBM HQ. At the gates there's one last fight with the monks ... and when the battle begins, the DBM moves in and gives me a hand. We kill the remaining monks ... and I get stuck in combat. Can't end the turn, can't do anything. I tried reloading a couple of times, it plays out the same way. Any tips?

EDIT: Nevermind, one more reload did it.

Kurtofan

so my game is fucked, I can't get into combat without it putting me in combat with the whole map.. which I need to level up to complete, but I have a time limit with my guy 'poisoned' by the spore.. anyone know if you can XML hack the save game to remove the poisoning so I can actually enjoy this game?

You in Ag Center? The cure for the infection is close.

I gave up on Wasteland 2 and installed Planescape. What a good game

Well, Wasteland 2 was always going to be closer to the original fallouts than to Planescape. Still a great game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What's the thing with Hollywood? What happened if you do it out of order?

It's a pretty obviously rushed area, basically. I got through it without any of the quests I did breaking in such a way that they couldn't be completed (though I'm not sure I did all of them) but there was a lot of stuff that just sorta didn't make any sense. People talking to me about things I hadn't done, people talking to me as if I hadn't done things that I had done, et cetera.

I'm not sure what the intended order for the quests in the place is, exactly, but I got the impression that if you start out by going left from the entrance and sort of proceeding clockwise around the area that things stay at least semi-coherent. It was whenever I broke from that approach that shit went all weird. I'm a bit curious if there's an ideal order that you can do things in that keeps everything making sense and being finish-able in its current form.

It's definitely in need of a round of polish or two. It was one of the low points of the game for me, personally.

It's not the only California place that can get a bit off-kilter, though. I had some similar problems in
Rodia
when I didn't
pay the entrance fee for the town.
The main quest of the area basically ended in under 5 minutes and there were some weird phantom NPCs who would make little floating text comments but were otherwise invisible. Remaining NPCs would also use dialogue that implied that I had failed the main quest somehow (even though it was logged as completed successfully and I took what seemed to be a perfectly legitimate -- albeit short -- route to resolving it) and one guy harped on how I had failed a completely unrelated side quest that I had actually successfully finished. He still gave me the reward for the quest I was actually doing for him, though, so his confusion didn't seem to materially harm me in any way.

In that case I think you can circumvent the weirdness by
paying the bullet tax at the entrance
or completing some quests in
Angel Oracle
that'll give you an alternate means of gaining entrance to begin with. The former option just doesn't seem very Desert Ranger-y to me, and the latter screws with what seems to be the natural area progression a bit, but oh well.

I definitely get the impression that Arizona benefited from the early beta access quite a bit, bug-wise.

Wait, the turtle is in Rail Nomad Camp? Where? Is it beyond the minefield?

In the northeast corner, just north of the hobo camp.

Be ready for a bit of a wait.

Shengar

It's a pretty obviously rushed area, basically. I got through it without any of the quests I did breaking in such a way that they couldn't be completed (though I'm not sure I did all of them) but there was a lot of stuff that just sorta didn't make any sense. People talking to me about things I hadn't done, people talking to me as if I hadn't done things that I had done, et cetera.

I'm not sure what the intended order for the quests in the place is, exactly, but I got the impression that if you start out by going left from the entrance and sort of proceeding clockwise around the area that things stay at least semi-coherent. It was whenever I broke from that approach that shit went all weird. I'm a bit curious if there's an ideal order that you can do things in that keeps everything making sense and being finish-able in its current form.

It's definitely in need of a round of polish or two. It was one of the low points of the game for me, personally.

It's not the only California place that can get a bit off-kilter, though. I had some similar problems in
Rodia
when I didn't
pay the entrance fee for the town.
The main quest of the area basically ended in under 5 minutes and there were some weird phantom NPCs who would make little floating text comments but were otherwise invisible. Remaining NPCs would also use dialogue that implied that I had failed the main quest somehow (even though it was logged as completed successfully and I took what seemed to be a perfectly legitimate -- albeit short -- route to resolving it) and one guy harped on how I had failed a completely unrelated side quest that I had actually successfully finished. He still gave me the reward for the quest I was actually doing for him, though, so his confusion didn't seem to materially harm me in any way.

In that case I think you can circumvent the weirdness by
paying the bullet tax at the entrance
or completing some quests in
Angel Oracle
that'll give you an alternate means of gaining entrance to begin with. The former option just doesn't seem very Desert Ranger-y to me, and the latter screws with what seems to be the natural area progression a bit, but oh well.

I definitely get the impression that Arizona benefited from the early beta access quite a bit, bug-wise.
That sounds like total mess. Maybe I should wait for patch when I hit California.

In the northeast corner, just north of the hobo camp.

Be ready for a bit of a wait.
Uhh, since I already recruite Scotchmo, I hope it still there

EDIT: Holy crap Angela Deth in my game is missing after the second I dismiss her
I know she'll be gone after you hit Titan, but I've yet to take that modded gun from her D:

Lagamorph

Not too far into this, only just got to Ag Centre, but I gotta say, I'm so bored by it already. I'm not sure what it is exactly but the game just isn't clicking with me so far.
I think a big part of the problem is the silent protagonist syndrome. It's a major sin in games for me, so to multiply it by 4 is just downright abominable.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Where the hell should i go after santa fe springs? The only discovered destination on the map is Hollywood, but its blocked by heavy radiation.

batfax

Where the hell should i go after santa fe springs? The only discovered destination on the map is Hollywood, but its blocked by heavy radiation.

Just explore. You're a stranger in a strange land and you're basically just rooting around randomly for problems to solve and make the Desert Rangers known in California. You'll probably get some radio call-ins for help after a while too.

AHA-Lambda

Just about to go to LA, couple questions.

1) Do I still get access to my stash of stuff left behind in the Ranger Citadel?

2) Is there still a doctor I can rely on early enough in LA?

PS: As I said in the last page, there had better be more options for encounters soon, I am sick of this game's combat.

The devs said on their forum that during the time they were making the first patch, the dude who was essentially responsible for all of Hollywood finished up his set of known bugs and then took a vacation, and he's back at this point so patch 2 should make a big difference there. No ETA on it yet but it seems like Hollywood is a high priority.

In the meantime here's a thread with a sort of walkthrough/discussion of all of Hollywood in order to get through it with a positive resolution and hopefully a minimum of bugs.

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm kind of playing it to much but damn I love it.

Any idea how long the game is? I just got to the canyon entrance. I already completed Darwin and Rail Nomad though, dunno if they were supposed to be before or after.

Also, are General Vargas and his team from the first Wasteland? I've looked up a few things, and they seemed to mention the first game. Would be cool if it was.

Top Bottom