• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

BeesEight

Seriously the most frustrating fight ever. Took your advice Sanctuary and ran them all the way back to the water building. Course, as I slog through that hell of a battle
Red aggros in the final moments and starts running at the wall separating us. Wanders around it until he comes into range of the turret and stands there for three turns until he's dead. ARG!

Ended up having to run him all the way back to the start of the level. What a stupid ass design.

My advice to anyone doing the Damonta section: clear the map of enemies first before picking up the cattle and red quests.

Also, is there any reason the water merchants are dead when I return to the town? Finished up Red's quest so I didn't have to drag him around anymore and come back to find them just blood puddles and a fenced wrecked near them.

Gazoinks

I swear, the items in this game are the best thing.
qqIcDgj.jpg

I also found a mint condition copy of the original Wasteland!

willooi

Act 2 question:

How do I get into Mr. Manners' radio room? I've done the quest but the guards, they kill me when I try to enter.

Back where you enter the stadium, turn left and follow it all the way down to a door leading to a toilet (as opposed to straight ahead to the stairs, or right in the direction of the cafeteria and med centre). You can then climb through the vents and you're in the sewer tunnels... navigate around there and you'll find a ladder up to the radio room, as well as several quest items scattered about.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it good idea to invest perception on the squad leader? Or should I give it to someone else?

Perception is good, helps you spot dig spots which have treasure and helps spot traps and alarms. You can also find books that permanently increase your skills on bookshelves if you have high enough perception.

OK quick question post Darwin:

I got the new party member, whose name starts with like a P or something, the mutant, who I figure will be more useful once I am dealing with more robots, so I dumped her into the party. Thing is I left Ralphie there. Now I am finally getting around to doing the Rail Nomads and figure it might be a good idea to have Ralphie around for some of that, but I can't find him. Does he go somewhere else after you dismiss him?

cirrhosis

OK quick question post Darwin:

I got the new party member, whose name starts with like a P or something, the mutant, who I figure will be more useful once I am dealing with more robots, so I dumped her into the party. Thing is I left Ralphie there. Now I am finally getting around to doing the Rail Nomads and figure it might be a good idea to have Ralphie around for some of that, but I can't find him. Does he go somewhere else after you dismiss him?

Party members who you've dismissed can be found back in the Ranger Citadel. Ralphie hangs out in the kitchen area.

Begaria

After a bit of thought, I've come up with some enlightened guidelines for creating your own first four party members:

1. Get as high intelligence as you can on everyone - more skill points mean an even better party with diversified skills. Strength is good if you want to wear advanced armor or going for melee and at least STR of 4 will give you a good carrying weight. If you're going for a group of ranged weapon users, than Co-Ordination is a must as it gives more AP and ranged hit %. Speed is a good all around stat to invest points in for combat purposes as is Awareness. Charisma is needed for getting certain PC's, but if you don't care for them, then keeping it at base level is fine. Luck is ok for the odd lucky miss and crits, but again I haven't really put much faith in it.

2. Make one member a Hard Ass, one member a Kiss Ass, and one member a Smart Ass and put as many points as you can in these as quick as you can. These dialogue options open up entirely new ways to finish quests and get what you want quicker.

3. Have only ONE person with Perception, and max that out or close to max. You don't actually need perception to see traps and alarms on doors/boxes/safes as you can see those by using the Alarm and Demolition skills, but high Perception will help you spot hidden landmines, skill books on bookshelves, and hidden passages/treasure.

4. Absolutely have one person with a Outdoorsman skill and get it up to about 7 or 8 (you get a trinket later that does +2 Outdoorsman). This will help you avoid all random battles on the map, and those random battles are just time sinks that aren't very interesting.

5. Having played a majority of the game (nearing 50 hours now), you do get PCs that come with demolition skills, mechanical repair, computer science, etc. If you get
Rose
from the Ag Center, you don't need Computer Science on any of your created party members (same goes with
Lexicanum
). Having those two mentioned NPCs in your party in the second half of the game to Computer Science robots is a beautiful thing. You can take these particular skills if you wish, but just know that there are named PCs with these skills.

6. Have your "leader" with leadership with at least 4 points in it. At skill level 4, that's about a 20% reduction in PCs ignoring your orders and it also gives a good amount of hit%. You can go higher, if you wish, but maxing it probably isn't worth it.

7. I'm at odds at diversifying your weapon skills, as I thought it would be a good idea to have one or maybe two weapon skills per character. My leader is a Shotgun/Heavy Weapons guy, but the rest of my party only uses one weapon skill. I regret using SMGs on one person as Assault Rifles ('specially the M16) seem to be better all around and possibly the best weapons to use. Handguns aren't too bad as they have low AP costs, but their Armor Piercing and damage seem on the low side. Heavy Weapons have a huge problem with jamming, and while there are a few shotguns that are pretty sweet, some are just absolutely terrible. Having one person with Sniper Rifles is pretty good. Energy Weapons are good as long as you keep up with the Armor thresholds. Blades, Bludgeons, and Brawling doesn't seem to be great in the first half of the game, but there is the odd weapon in the second half of the game for each of these that you might build a character around.

So in my experience Assault Rifles = sniper rifles > shotguns = handguns = energy weapons > SMGs > Heavy Weapons > melee. Your mileage probably varies, but that's just my preference so far. Oh, and absolutely invest in purchasing grenades and the odd rocket launcher as they're pretty much the only way to doe AoE damage in battle and save your ass from grouped up enemies.

8. Have at least one dedicated Field Medic. My dedicated Field Medic also has a few points in Surgeon just in case my dedicated Surgeon (the really good Computer Science PC) goes down. Field Medic is absolutely a must in order to get any decent healing done.

Energy weapons are way better and more important than you give them credit for. I'd say at endgame areas, assault rifles and energy weapons are about equal.

My NPC with the Gamma Ray Blaster can end just about anything with a three shot burst.

I'd also put blunt weapons and brawling ahead of heavy weapons. Heavies are just kind of garbage due to all the jamming and no mods to make them better.

Brawling suffers from no mods as well but by the end of the game you're doing insane damage. You deal 1 extra point of damage per character level, if you max out the skill you have a 100% critical chance, and with high strength you can get a 3.5x crit multiplier I believe.

Begaria

Energy weapons are way better and more important than you give them credit for. I'd say at endgame areas, assault rifles and energy weapons are about equal.

My NPC with the Gamma Ray Blaster can end just about anything with a three shot burst.

I'd also put blunt weapons and brawling ahead of heavy weapons. Heavies are just kind of garbage due to all the jamming and no mods to make them better.

Brawling suffers from no mods as well but by the end of the game you're doing insane damage. You deal 1 extra point of damage per character level, if you max out the skill you have a 100% critical chance, and with high strength you can get a 3.5x crit multiplier I believe.

Lexicanum
is my only Brawler, and it's not bad per se. He's uniquely qualified to do it comparatively to building one of your first four into it.

Energy Weapons are pretty good, I was considering putting them up there with Assault Weapons, but they do suffer the flaw of the Armor Threshold stat on them. If you're not beating that stat, then you don't really do much damage. The Gamma Ray Blaster does have a pretty good Armor Threshold.

Finished at 64 hrs. I felt like I did the majority of main quests to their fullest. I skipped or didn't know how to complete some smaller ones(shampoo) so if they evolved into something bigger I missed it. But I really enjoyed the second half of the game, I figure choosing AG center was a mistake early for me since there's much less character work there.

HUGE SPOILER ENDING QUESTION:

I chose Kekebah to detonate the nuke, but no matter how many times I redid the end, the game would never acknowledge this decision. It would always say I was leaving without setting off the nuke. The only way I could get any sort of ending was to detonate it myself. Does the ending change greatly with your party alive? Do you get any endings from your ally party members?

Xater

Finished the game just now. Was like 35 hours for me but I didn't do everything. If I had done every side quest it probably would have been more in the 50 hour territory. Really enjoyed this game and I am very glad I backed this. I hope this and the other Kickstarter CRPGs will do well so we can continue to get games like this.

Next up Pillars of Eternity. Also now I kinda regret not backing Torment.

Also ending spoiler:

Man that last fight was quite something. The virus took over two of my party members. I was lucky I had so much NPC back up who made the fight easier.

Thinking about upgrading my leader ranger's brawling skill so she has at least something to attack with when her ammo is out, but she has almost no points in strength attribute.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Finished the game just now. Was like 35 hours for me but I didn't do everything. If I had done every side quest it probably would have been more in the 50 hour territory. Really enjoyed this game and I am very glad I backed this. I hope this and the other Kickstarter CRPGs will do well so we can continue to get games like this.

Next up Pillars of Eternity. Also now I kinda regret not backing Torment.

Also ending spoiler:

Man that last fight was quite something. The virus took over two of my party members. I was lucky I had so much NPC back up who made the fight easier.

You can still "back" torment, they still are taking preorders and offering bonuses AFAIK. I heard a third party is handing Wasteland's physical goods and they're being slow about it :/

Rulp

Just started yesterday and I'm in love. It's exactly what I wanted it to be. Classic CRPG that only the likes of Brian Fargo could deliver. It's an instant classic.

kd-z

Am I the only one who thinks the game gets smug about being a classical, hardcore, "pure" and old-school cRPG way to often? I hated the joke with the DLC in the main menu.

yarden24

He gets taken over by the Base Cochise AI and you have to kill him :p

haha,I was kinda hoping he would go all super sayan, any idea who actually gets taken over? I didn't have anyone

Also about the ending:
i was really disappointed you had no way to talk yourself towards one,I didn't actually play the first wasteland, but that was such a staple of the first 2 fallout games!

Am I the only one who thinks the game gets smug about being a classical, hardcore, "pure" and old-school cRPG way to often? I hated the joke with the DLC in the main menu.
Thought that wasn't particularly funny, but eh, they don't do it that often

Vaporak

To be honest the only thing that stands out as a jab at the modern games industry that I've found was the one time dlc joke. So no, not particularly.

No way man, Rose is tied in to so much of the rest of the game, you probably get more from her than all the rest of Highpool.

Well, you may be right, I was just under the impression the quests at Highpool had a bit more choice or character interaction to them. But like I said, I didn't choose Highpool so I don't know!

haha,I was kinda hoping he would go all super sayan, any idea who actually gets taken over? I didn't have anyone

I had Rose get taken over.

Tunahead

I don't know about "way too often" but I did find the DLC joke kind of tiresome.

And speaking of things that are tiresome, an extended one note comedy skit about how much publishers suck and are stupid doesn't really work as a good opener for a Kickstarter pitch video, no matter how justified Brian Fargo may be in his hatred of them. And he did it for both his Kickstarters. Ugh.

Also Wasteland is listed as "Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic" on Steam and GOG and the like, which is a bit vainglorious. Even freakin' Star Control 2 and Ultima VII and the like don't come with self-congratulatory titles attached.

And speaking of things that are tiresome, an extended one note comedy skit about how much publishers suck and are stupid doesn't really work as a good opener for a Kickstarter pitch video, no matter how justified Brian Fargo may be in his hatred of them. And he did it for both his Kickstarters. Ugh.

A lot can change over the course of two years, I didn't think it was too tiresome at the time. Back then, talking about how publishers wouldn't fund your game was how Doublefine Adventure became a huge success, and Brian Fargo followed in that style of appeal in an attempt to get the same sort of reaction. And it worked! I think he was justified. I really do think that he had similar conversations with publishers about trying to get a Wasteland 2 made. "What's that? Why would anyone care about it these days?"

Kurtofan

I don't know about "way too often" but I did find the DLC joke kind of tiresome.

Also Wasteland is listed as "Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic" on Steam and GOG and the like, which is a bit vainglorious. Even freakin' Star Control 2 and Ultima VII and the like don't come with self-congratulatory titles attached.

All of those things are found outside the game.

I can't find any reason to upgrade from my gamma ray blaster. It seems like all the end game energy weapons have armor thresholds of 5+. It's better to have a lower threshold on energy weapons, right?

Dr.Acula

Banned

All of those things are found outside the game.

I don't mind the DLC joke. I'm reminded of all the people who couldn't play Guacamelee because of "all the constant meme jokes" that most people honestly didn't even notice.

Top Bottom