• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Niahak

this is pissing me off. I went at Ag Center first.

I did the quest, she gave Matt the cure for the infection and she doesn't cure my fucking party? What?
I have 12k seconds left, how much time left until I get into the stage of not being able to cure it anymore? Am I missing something here?

Finish out the quest (add the cures she gave you to the air filters in Ag Center) and your team will be cured automatically. I didn't have to kill anything else to get to the filters, most stuff should already be dead.

You could also use the cures on your own people, but that'll fail the quest.

Finalow

Finish out the quest (add the cures she gave you to the air filters in Ag Center) and your team will be cured automatically. I didn't have to kill anything else to get to the filters, most stuff should already be dead.

You could also use the cures on your own people, but that'll fail the quest.
before that I have to
finish the "main quest" there, closing the pumps or something. after that I can go to the filters.
I think I have some more battles to do. where are the filters anyway? Also how do I use the cures on my party failing the quest? I've got no items for that.

Shengar

For the conversation above
Air filter? I think it was water reservoir. I don't know if it able to cure your party though because I just savescumming when my party caught the disease.

Niahak

before that I have to
finish the "main quest" there, closing the pumps or something. after that I can go to the filters.
I think I have some more battles to do. where are the filters anyway? Also how do I use the cures on my party failing the quest? I've got no items for that.

Ahh, okay.
You're not as far as I thought, so you might have to finish out the quest before you're able to get cured. You do have to shut down the two pumps before you get your hands on the cures. That area is pretty rough if you're out of ammo - if you have some spare skill points you could grab Pistol proficiency with one or two party members in the meantime. Early on that helped me a lot with ammo scarcity. There are also some randomized loot caches in the outdoor area, but I'm not sure you have the time to go back to base.
Re: Shengar,
it probably is the water reservoir and I'm not remembering right, but it definitely does cure your party when you add the cure, as my whole party was infected beforehand.

Loot/safe combo spoiler for that area that might help:
If you can get into the head guy's office, his safe combo is 80085 if he hasn't given it to you already (I don't remember whether you get it then or if you save the whole place). It has some ammo as well as a decent weapon.

okiemok

A note on the above conversation. and exploit/bug I discovered is if you are running out of time with the pod people sickness,
simply stand said infected individuals next to an unexploded pod and let it blow. It resets the timer.

Shengar

I never experience ammo scarcity during Ag Center quest, at least not that bad.
Maybe it because I:
-Only fought the bugs in front of the facility, ignoring anything else
-Anyone in the party able to use melee weapon
-Have one dedicated melee user
-Oftenly turned Angela Deth into melee fighter as well
-Always received 30.06 ammo on loots

There are RNG and such that will affect individual gameplay, especially ammos. But not rely on ranged weapon and able to use melees does help a ton in conserving ammos during earlier part of the game.
The only absolute enemy that you must kill with ranged weapon in AG Center is just Manpod for obvious reason.

Finalow

A note on the above conversation. and exploit/bug I discovered is if you are running out of time with the pod people sickness,
simply stand said infected individuals next to an unexploded pod and let it blow. It resets the timer.
oh, nice
but I still don't understand if I have that much time left (now it's at 12'000 seconds) or if I get killed first. or maybe the infection gets incurable at some point?

Ahh, okay.
You're not as far as I thought, so you might have to finish out the quest before you're able to get cured. You do have to shut down the two pumps before you get your hands on the cures. That area is pretty rough if you're out of ammo - if you have some spare skill points you could grab Pistol proficiency with one or two party members in the meantime. Early on that helped me a lot with ammo scarcity. There are also some randomized loot caches in the outdoor area, but I'm not sure you have the time to go back to base.
Re: Shengar,
it probably is the water reservoir and I'm not remembering right, but it definitely does cure your party when you add the cure, as my whole party was infected beforehand.

Loot/safe combo spoiler for that area that might help:
If you can get into the head guy's office, his safe combo is 80085 if he hasn't given it to you already (I don't remember whether you get it then or if you save the whole place). It has some ammo as well as a decent weapon.
well I'll see if I can at least avoid some battles.
I got the code but not sure where his office is, I'll look for it. I still have one locked door but it's super hard to open, I hope it's not that.

Air filter? I think it was water reservoir. I don't know if it able to cure your party though because I just savescumming when my party caught the disease.
I might not remember too well, even if I played it 2 hours ago, lol. whatever, as long as we understand each other it's fine.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I never experience ammo scarcity during Ag Center quest, at least not that bad.
Maybe it because I:
-Only fought the bugs in front of the facility, ignoring anything else
-Anyone in the party able to use melee weapon
-Have one dedicated melee user
-Oftenly turned Angela Deth into melee fighter as well
-Always received 30.06 ammo on loots

There are RNG and such that will affect individual gameplay, especially ammos. But not rely on ranged weapon and able to use melees does help a ton in conserving ammos during earlier part of the game.
The only absolute enemy that you must kill with ranged weapon in AG Center is just Manpod for obvious reason.

I think a lot of people have ammo issues because they are shooting the pods rather than either coming up with a guy to sacrifice or just playing chicken with them by walking up to them and then walking away (which is generally what I will do... there's no need to engage the things inside combat). But, my experience is nearly everything either drops .38, shotgun shells, or .30-06 at that part of the game, so even if I did decided to shoot everything open (which I don't), I'd only really have problems if I don't vary who gets "shootin' duties".

I shot the pods with an energy weapon or something that uses .38 ammo.

Still, Ag Center sucks. I'd love a way to skip that part of the early game entirely.

Finalow

my problem is probably that I'm using only 2 types of weapons on most of my party. so far I'm also lacking accuracy, not sure if it depends on the attributes or if it depends more on the skill of the weapon.
I'm crouching when I can and I try to get some cover, but not always that's the best way to fight.

use a melee fighter and weapons? Don't shoot the pods? Don't waste ammo to destroy objects? DUH? That is what I've been doing. I basically have a time limit on my head and loot doesn't give me the ammo I want, funny that no one is selling ammo for some reason. so yes, Ag Center sucks.
I'm avoiding most of the battles so far so I guess I can finally get this cure.

Vaporak

Why are people scared of the time limit when you get infected in AG center, it's stupidly long precisely so that you don't worry about it.

batfax

I... seriously didn't have that much of a problem with AG center. But I guess I also had two strong melee users. ALWAYS gotta have someone with melee. Getting Rose there was also really good, since she lasted me for most of the game.

Also, I think making sure each of my rangers had a unique type of ammo to them was a key part in making my party (generally) have more workable resources early on, as if I ever ran out of a kind of ammo I ran out of ONE person's ammo type and could just have them use tertiary items (like TNT) or as a meatshield.

Finalow

Ag Center can be done in a half hour, what are you talking about?
"can be done in a half hour", doesn't really mean anything.
if you know where to go, how to avoid almost every battle and skip most of the stuff? Sure. but usually players don't know that the first time they reach it, and in that case it's much longer.

Why are people scared of the time limit when you get infected in AG center, it's stupidly long precisely so that you don't worry about it.
again, I don't know how that fucking works. if you die when the time reaches 0 seconds then it's really no problem at all, but if you start losing life or whatever at some point, let's say 10k seconds, then it might be a problem.
if you travel in the world map does that time drop much faster? I haven't tried.

again, I don't know how that fucking works. if you die when the time reaches 0 seconds then it's really no problem at all, but if you start losing life or whatever at some point, let's say 10k seconds, then it might be a problem.
if you travel in the world map does that time drop much faster? I haven't tried.

It's a status effect, and behaves the same as every status effect. For as long as you have that buff, your infection status remains the same. To be honest, I don't know why anyone would assume otherwise.

In any case, I can't imagine doing Ag Center first if the enemies are the same or similar. If I didn't have an energy weapon-user I would've been thoroughly hosed. The enemies vary from: super fast & deadly to slow, durable, & deadly (even in death), and the end boss (assuming it's the same) would be nigh impossible if it triggers the same way. The extra levels, experience, and equipment you get at Highpool really helps to confront the bizarre enemies and situations you encounter in Ag Center.

I salute whoever made it through Ag Center first.

Finalow

It's a status effect, and behaves the same as every status effect. For as long as you have that buff, your infection status remains the same. To be honest, I don't know why anyone would assume otherwise.

In any case, I can't imagine doing Ag Center first if the enemies are the same or similar. If I didn't have an energy weapon-user I would've been thoroughly hosed. The enemies vary from: super fast & deadly to slow, durable, & deadly (even in death), and the end boss (assuming it's the same) would be nigh impossible if it triggers the same way. The extra levels, experience, and equipment you get at Highpool really helps to confront the bizarre enemies and situations you encounter in Ag Center.

I salute whoever made it through Ag Center first.
because I read somewhere of 'acute pod infection' (which you can't cure at all?) so I was wondering when that shit was going to become 'acute'.

enemies aren't really too hard here, to be honest. not sure about the boss since I haven't finished it yet but I should be close.

batfax

Huh, strangely enough as much as this game is annoying me, I enjoyed Ag Center =/

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. Like if they made it harder in an update. Maybe you can't use Animal Whisperer on the bunnies anymore? Loot tables are worse? Who knows. I know the place was pretty hard, but it never seemed impossible.

DiscoJer

Ag center sucks, go to highpool instead.

I agree. The first time I played I did Highpool first and then felt guilty when I finally went to the AG Center. But now that I play again, the AG Center is a pain in the ass and the people there are jerks.

Finalow

yes Rose is great.
for how long do these characters (got 2 so far) stay with you? The first one you get I have the feeling that she'll leave the party soon.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. Like if they made it harder in an update. Maybe you can't use Animal Whisperer on the bunnies anymore? Loot tables are worse? Who knows. I know the place was pretty hard, but it never seemed impossible.
didn't know this, I only used it on the goat. I guess they're still animals after all

I never wrote that the place was impossibile, I was just annoyed by it. anyhow, those fucking 10 person pods after the boss fight (while you're backtracking) were some pure evil game design. also 6 rabbits, which I managed to avoid while going to the boss, "magically" became unavoidable after killing the boss. I somehow won both fights but I had literally no hopes for it, I guess that level 15 character with 170hp helped to tank.

I'm only 7 hours in but I'm really liking this game, Avellone delivering as usual.

DiresuDR

Random question, but does running out of ammo ever stop being an issue? I seem to constantly be running out, and it's expensive as hell to buy.

Thinking of making a crew based around fist of the north star.

Kenshiro + the 2 kids or maybe just all the stars.

Anyone have any fun suggestions for skills/builds?

batfax

Random question, but does running out of ammo ever stop being an issue? I seem to constantly be running out, and it's expensive as hell to buy.

I think it was by the point I got to the Canyon of Titan that I realized I basically had NONE of those old issues. It probably happens sooner than that, but I think the key thing is to remember to loot as much valuable stuff as possible and pawn it off whenever you get the chance. You should do pretty fine making money for ammo if you're selling every random raider's weapons.

Shengar

Holy crap (Damonta spoiler)
I don't know everyone in Damonta will be dead if you leave before kill the Tinker. Fucking Red always gungho with gun blazin only to be beheaded by Slicer Dicer afterwards. Guess I should speak with him after I wrap everything in Damonta

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is exactly what I was expecting when I backed it. There are some rough edges but overall a very solid experience. I wish it had co-op so me and my wife could clock another 100 hours like we did in Divinity.

Zabojnik

Should've started the game on hard. I fucking hate switching difficulty mid game. I wish every game had an option to make it so you can't do it.

okiemok

Unfortunately, this is a Unity game and they have put the countdown timer in part of the loop. I have worked with a mechanism like this before, and it is not nearly accurate enough and runs faster than expected, so it actually is less than 14,000 seconds, based on the performance of your rig. Slow performing machines even make it worse believe it or not.

That said, if you are on your first run in the Ag Center, there is a lot to take in. Plenty of combat, plenty of safe cracking, plenty of stumbling around. Sucks for those that like to explore every nook and cranny.
I think the timer is very distracting and unnecessary. What it should be is if you leave the Ag center or try to, you immediately go into a combat mode with one of your party turning into the pod persons. That would force you to solve that issue before moving on without some arbitrary time constraint on a game that is not an RTS.

Dresden

Being able to max out surgeon and computer is super nice. And her max int lets her dip into plenty of other stuff. Feels like Rose has had the most context-sensitive lines, too.

Not at all good at combat, but NPCs just aren't optimized for it, since they can't dump charisma and luck, or pump up CI.

It just bothers me that her in-game model is completely different from the portrait. It's so lazy.

Yeah, her Surgeon skill is useful as well, allowed me to let my healer focus on First Aid. Handguns are pretty much useless in this game though later on when everything has hundreds of HP and my characters are all doing 100+ damage a turn and she's barely dishing out 40. I mainly use her to finish off enemies with sub 20HP and what I mentioned in my previous post.

It just bothers me that her in-game model is completely different from the portrait. It's so lazy.

The entire game is a complete disaster in that regard. I know it was kickstartered, so they already got their money, but they could have put a little more effort into paying attention to details. It's pretty ridiculous when you recruit Pistol Pete and his character model is a white guy. I don't think a single portrait/model/description matched up outside of a handful.

Being able to max out surgeon and computer is super nice. And her max int lets her dip into plenty of other stuff. Feels like Rose has had the most context-sensitive lines, too.

Not at all good at combat, but NPCs just aren't optimized for it, since they can't dump charisma and luck, or pump up CI.

Rose is amazing with Shotguns.

batfax

Rose is amazing with Shotguns.

Very. For most of the game I had her and Scotchmo as my Shotgun Brigade and they would line up and wait to double ambush any jerk who tried to get close, or just catch bunched up mobs in a hail of criss-crossing shotgun fire. Real fun.

CushVA

Patch is coming next week

Brian Fargo retweeted
Thomas Beekers @thomasbeekers · 47m 47 minutes ago

The next big #wasteland2 patch is almost ready. We want to test it a bit more, it should be good to go early next week.

Shengar

I'm playing on Ranger and ammo is only a nuisance because I have so much of it I'm running into encumbrance issues.
This, so much this. Especially if you ranger use two ranged weapon for different purposes.
Currently my Rose have 54 unused skill point because I don't know where I should invest them, also keeping them just in case some situation happened.

man, using Rose almost exclusively as pistol user I have only one complaint on the weapon: why the critical hit couldn't get past 49%? Seriously, with that sort range and low armor penetration, high critical rate should the main forte of handgun.
screaming goats, man. screaming goats

Recruit Ralphy and take one of those evil bastard with you for extra Awareness. You'll get used to the screm.
They stop as soon as you enter a new are though

Volodja

I had a pistol user, dropped that shit and converted her into another Assault Rifler.
Didn't regret it one bit, once you have enough money to buy ammo if needed, it's just much better.

Top Bottom