• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

AHA-Lambda

Oh,
keep going through the map, you end up at the "temple map" after taking the exit.

Finally found it.

Tbh, I'm sorry to say but I'm really not enjoying this much anymore.

I hate the emphasis on combat, it's a total chore and I must be playing the game wrong somehow cos I'm playing on easy and yet I'm chewing through ammo and healthkits (or making long detours to the citadel doctor) >_<

Finally found it.

I hate the emphasis on combat, it's a total chore and I must be playing the game wrong somehow cos I'm playing on easy and yet I'm chewing through ammo and healthkits (or making long detours to the citadel doctor) >_<

Keep going through, you'll soon be at a point where the game opens up even more with more freedom in what you want to do.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Finally found it.

I find that most characters can last 2-4 fights between heals, and that's usually enough time to get a level which gives you full health back. Just put your best armour on your close combat characters and have your long range ones in the back rows.

Deraj

LA is fucking hard and i recruited a bunch of nobodies =( is there more people to recruit in LA? Everyone is kicking my ass

I just arrived there too and noticed the enemies have leveled up. Luckily I had a bunch of skill points saved to boost the team. Also, some of the loot caches hidden around the AZ world map had rocket launchers that come in handy if you saved them. You can also find launchers in chests around the
Santa Fe base where you crash landed.

Vaporak

Finally found it.

You must be, I just got the the canyon and while I use a lot of healing items, I'm swimming in ammo and weapons. And I'm playing at max difficulty. Did you go around doing sidequests, and the other part of the main quest? You're definitely intended to go to the rail nomads before trying the canyon I think, just based on the relative strengths of the combat encounters.

Arulan

Update on Physical Goods:

Physical Goods Shipping

While everyone can and hopefully is playing Wasteland 2 now with their Steam or GOG keys from the Ranger Center, we've been awaiting timelines from Deep Silver on physical shipping. Because they assembled different elements from different locations in the world and generally used slower shipping, the timeline of physical goods was much longer than we anticipated. As it is looking now, our timeline will be:
- The first batch of physical goods will be standard boxes only, shipped on the 3rd week of this month. These will go out to backers receiving only the standard box.
- Batches of physical goods including the metal Collector's Edition box will ship next and we'll announce a more precise time as soon as we have it.

Deep Silver will ship them with general post shipping (without tracking). We will keep you informed as we get more info on the specific batches shipping out.

We apologize this process took longer than we'd planned or hoped for at the outset. Unfortunately, things outside of our control made it take longer than anticipated. We will do our utmost to ensure you get your physical goods as soon as is possible and in good order.

Shengar

Every ammo I found is .30 cal, I can't believe it that my sniper have more ammo than my assault riflers
Not that I'm complaining though

Zabojnik

The graphics might not be exceptional, although the game looks perfectly fine to me, but I fucking love the death animations. I'm about 20 hours in, marching towards
the prison
. Absolutely loving it so far.

Sothpaw

The graphics might not be exceptional, although the game looks perfectly fine to me, but I fucking love the death animations. I'm about 20 hours in, marching towards
the prison
. Absolutely loving it so far.

I agree. I am taking a little time off to finish the Dark Souls 2 DLC, but I am right at the point you are and I really love the game. The graphics aren't great, but the rest of the game makes up for it as far as I'm concerned.

Zabojnik

The writing is generally very good, if a bit uneven in some places, but those little descriptions that pop up as you go past certain places are just brilliant. So old school and tongue in cheek, haha.

The writing is generally very good, if a bit uneven in some places, but those little descriptions that pop up as you go past certain places are just brilliant. So old school and tongue in cheek, haha.

problem is that they are very poorly associated with events and often describe things or the environment completely wrong, in the same way that the character descriptions more often than not describe a completely different person that is shown in the game

AHA-Lambda

You must be, I just got the the canyon and while I use a lot of healing items, I'm swimming in ammo and weapons. And I'm playing at max difficulty. Did you go around doing sidequests, and the other part of the main quest? You're definitely intended to go to the rail nomads before trying the canyon I think, just based on the relative strengths of the combat encounters.

No I didn't *sigh*

I'm just done with Damonta just now, got myself sorted with some cash, ammo and medkits now, so we'll see how things go.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
If anyone has figured out a way to reorder your party, please let me know.

This is driving me nuts.
Can't do this within the game. This was something that was identified and requested some time ago, during early betas, but it never came out. Luckily, XML is easy to edit.

Narras

I'm finally at the part where you can head to
California
. I still need to finish a few areas, but I had a few questions.

Is this the point of no return? Do I need to pack up or something because I have a ton of stuff in my box.

Also, I've been saving my requisition points and I'm guessing this is the last time I can use them. Is this right? If so, I guess I'll be getting some armor.

Volodja

Wow, Hollywood is pretty much completely broken for me. I think that I'll be forced to take suboptimal decisions to close this part of the game out.

Begaria

God dammit. My PC suddenly powered off while I was playing Wasteland 2. I boot my PC back up, get back into Wasteland 2, and for some stupid reason the Load button is greyed out and clicking on Continue does nothing. I double checked to see if the sudden power outage somehow wiped my save files, but no, they're still there.

I'm verifying the game cache right now, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to uninstall and reinstall to see it'll work. I do not want to lose 50 hours of progress of a game I've almost completed. If I can't get my saves to work, then fuck it, Wasteland 2 goes uncompleted.

Edit: Found a solution. I just needed to delete the TOC file in my save folder for Wasteland 2. It re-creates this file upon loading the game which corrects the above problem.

Volodja

Ok it's not just Hollywood proper, the entirety of that part of California is completely fucked up.
Managed to kind of finish the way I wanted but some quests are gonna be unsolvable because things just broke midway.

batfax

Ok it's not just Hollywood proper, the entirety of that part of California is completely fucked up.
Managed to kind of finish the way I wanted but some quests are gonna be unsolvable because things just broke midway.

Yeah, this is the BIGGEST flaw in the game right now. I somehow managed to avoid a lot of it and got mostly the results I wanted, but I hear a lot of people having issues with the area. I hope that it's a top priority for the next patch.

Volodja

It's like they have a lot of pieces fitting together in there which is great, but then they messed up the implementation on how these pieces intereact one with the other, so you can approach things in such a way that you just break the normal flow of a quest line and it never gets really fixed. I basically had to brute force a lot of that area.
Also you get NPCs that are in 2 places as the same time, NPCs that disappear, areas that become hostile because of story reason but never turn back when they should.

At least the game doesn't completely shit the bed and you can still complete the important bits, but doing 1 hour of fighting in a place and doing things in there without having any hint in the log that it's the right thing and that it's getting registered because things broke so you just start doing whatever to see if you can end it anyway makes it really hard to enjoy the writing and in general the game.

seph1roth

Guys i need some help

A friend is trying to play the game but his PC refuses to it.

He uses WinXP, a bit old but the game should work anyway but it doesn't.

He created a partition with Win7 and the doesn't work, Win XP was 32Bit, we thought the problem was the 32bits OS, but Win7 is 64Bit and Wasteland 2 continues refusing to launch itself.

Here's the error log:

WL2.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module WL2.exe at 0023:00000000.

Error occurred at 2014-10-03_101826.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2\Build\WL2.exe, run by Pumares.
30% memory in use.
4094 MB physical memory [2833 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [3896 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

If someone can help, i will appreciate it.

DiscoJer

I've probably put 75 hours in it at least, so I can't really complain, but Hollywood is just a mess. Not just the bugs, but the design. (And I would extent that to Angel Oracle). It's dimmed my enthusiasm for the game.

I also kinda wish they did something besides Los Angeles. For one, how the heck did it survive the nuclear war so well? Arizona seems far more radioactive (in terms of total area) which doesn't make much sense. Seems like they just wanted an excuse to put brothels everywhere...

Guys i need some help

A friend is trying to play the game but his PC refuses to it.

He uses WinXP, a bit old but the game should work anyway but it doesn't.

He created a partition with Win7 and the doesn't work, Win XP was 32Bit, we thought the problem was the 32bits OS, but Win7 is 64Bit and Wasteland 2 continues refusing to launch itself.

Here's the error log:

If someone can help, i will appreciate it.

This seems to be a common problem

http://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/discussions/1/613937942876346336/

Apparently there's a font the game doesn't like? Or so that thread says.

Whoever voice acted Matthius did such a terrible job. Overall I thought the voice acting for everyone else was alright, but he literally sounded like there was a kickstarter backer tier that allowed you to voice a major character.

Also, Chisel's ending slide is great.

Made it to springs, pretty much cleared out Arizona.

Now I am in yet another kinda Meh, environment. I really like this game a lot but good lord I wish the design for some of the areas was a bit better. Navigation is such a pain in the ass, there are practically no notations on the maps and the camera is still a giant piece of shit. If it wasn't for the quality writing and the game being better than the sum of its parts I think I would be a lot more pissed off.

Still though, the number of bugs, UI glitches, crashes, and the like really feels unacceptable. Coming of of dragonfall, the issues are even more stark. I do hope that Torment isn't this janky. Then again, I can't bitch TOO much, I've put at least 30 hours in so far.

Volodja

One pretty big issue I have with the map is that when I double click on it to move rapidly with my vision to a specific area because panning with the mouse takes 2 years, for the first double click it just puts me back where I am so I have to reopen the map and re-double click on the area I wanna jump to and it finally does it.
Annoying as hell, especially in collaboration with the fact that there's no vision indicator so if I don't have my party in vision and I don't know the map I have no clue where my camera is actually looking.

Begaria

Well, looks like I'm one of the unlucky few whom have the "Wasteland 2 is overheating my PC" issue. I played through the first half of the game with no issues - no bugs, no glitches, no crashes. Nothing. I played through a good 7-10 hours of the second half before I ran into this issue. In certain areas of Wasteland 2 in the second half of the game, my PC temperature slowly climbs into danger levels before my safety temps kick in and just shut down my PC. It doesn't happen in every area, which is weird enough, but there was one very troublesome area -
Whittier, the ambush fight
- that had my PC temp riding the line of my safety temp. I had to alt-tab out of the game and let the temperature decrease every few minutes so I could finally finish that fight.

Kind of annoying.

I've tried super low graphical settings on the game, and the temperature still climbed to danger levels during that fight. I've checked out a scant few posts on the issue and it seems like this was a thing even in the backer beta early access stuff.

One pretty big issue I have with the map is that when I double click on it to move rapidly with my vision to a specific area because panning with the mouse takes 2 years, for the first double click it just puts me back where I am so I have to reopen the map and re-double click on the area I wanna jump to and it finally does it.
Annoying as hell, especially in collaboration with the fact that there's no vision indicator so if I don't have my party in vision and I don't know the map I have no clue where my camera is actually looking.

Yeah, I think that only happens when you first enter a new map or have otherwise just finished doing something else without moving the camera at least once. Something like that.

Because if I've been on a map for a while moving around, it seems to work every time. I haven't played around with it but I would guess it's due to not having moved the camera at all and double clicking as your first camera movement.

Man, the overworld map for California looks awful. There was another post apocalyptic RPG that came out a couple of years ago called Krater that had a beautiful map.

Volodja

Yeah, I think that only happens when you first enter a new map or have otherwise just finished doing something else without moving the camera at least once. Something like that.

Because if I've been on a map for a while moving around, it seems to work every time. I haven't played around with it but I would guess it's due to not having moved the camera at all and double clicking as your first camera movement.
It may have to do with the camera being centered on the party or maybe just one character, actually.
Considering that I imagine the game after entering an area or ending of a transition centers the camera on the party, it would follow that it would behave this way in every new map.
But considering that I tend to doubleclick to center camera a lot on my party (rts/dota habit), I think I keep priming this behaviour.

Tacitus_

Congratulations, you found how to get the physical standard edition before backers.

Well from the weight of the box, it seemed to only contain a paper slip for the cd key. I'm just baffled about how I found it in a major general retailers entertainment division.

Ok, just finished Rail Nomad Camp, but I still have sucky equipment and I had a massive trouble dealing with rail camp thieves. When will I start getting some decent weapons? I'm using m14 and my sniper is using g23.

batfax

Honestly? Anyone's guess. Sometimes you just find something, like a cache, that's perfect for your team and it can be completely random. Aside from random stuff though, I think I truly felt stable and coming into my own by the time I was venturing beyond the prison into Nuclear territory.

Well from the weight of the box, it seemed to only contain a paper slip for the cd key. I'm just baffled about how I found it in a major general retailers entertainment division.

Little less exciting then. Since a DRM-free version exists, it's really weird for it to just be a key and not a disc with the installer or what-have-you.

Vaporak

Ok, just finished Rail Nomad Camp, but I still have sucky equipment and I had a massive trouble dealing with rail camp thieves. When will I start getting some decent weapons? I'm using m14 and my sniper is using g23.

What do you mean by "decent" equipment. You do know you can go into the Ranger Citadel and buy equipment there right?

Honestly? Anyone's guess. Sometimes you just find something, like a cache, that's perfect for your team and it can be completely random. Aside from random stuff though, I think I truly felt stable and coming into my own by the time I was venturing beyond the prison into Nuclear territory.
I haven't been lucky with looting from crates and safes. All I get is junk items and same ol' low-tier weapons that I've been getting since the beginning of the game. I'm still rolling with same shotgun that I got as a default. But I heard some people got lucky and found some good weapons like M16 rifles in Nomad Camp, and even armors.

I haven't been lucky with looting from crates and safes. All I get is junk items and same ol' low-tier weapons that I've been getting since the beginning of the game. I'm still rolling with same shotgun that I got as a default. But I heard some people got lucky and found some good weapons like M16 rifles in Nomad Camp, and even armors.

I found a rocket launcher in Highpool, that's probably the best loot I've found... assuming it wasn't pre-placed. The rest of the time (over 99%) all I find are 3-5 AR/SMG bullets, and some random, useless trash.

Most decent loot like weapons (that I've found) are all from enemies.

This reminds me, I really wish all those junk items automatically went to the junk pile. Especially when considering they're already marked as junk anyways. It would make sorting the inventory so much easier.

batfax

The nomad camp itself may be worth exploring a bit. I just now remembered when I did the quest to clear out the thieves there that (spoiler just in case)
I found some supplies that had been lost by a merchant. Bringing them back to the shop keep in Rail Nomad would net you a hefty discount and give him some nice new wares.

If nothing else, as others have said, Ranger Citadel sells a decent amount of stuff. I think you can first go back there after saving either High Pool or AG Center. Their merchants have a wealth of scrap for you to sell your junk weapons for and trade up to something with more "oomph" to get you goin'. There's also a good amount of quests/items you can report there that you can earn requisition slips, as well as new possible rewards to spend said slips on.

Top Bottom