• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

CushVA

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm kind of playing it to much but damn I love it.

Any idea how long the game is? I just got to the canyon entrance. I already completed Darwin and Rail Nomad though, dunno if they were supposed to be before or after.

Also, are General Vargas and his team from the first Wasteland? I've looked up a few things, and they seemed to mention the first game. Would be cool if it was.

They were the default player characters. Ace was a recruitable NPC

batfax

Just about to go to LA, couple questions.

1) Do I still get access to my stash of stuff left behind in the Ranger Citadel?

2) Is there still a doctor I can rely on early enough in LA?

PS: As I said in the last page, there had better be more options for encounters soon, I am sick of this game's combat.

1) Yeah, your stash comes with you. I think it's basically right in the room in front of the radio at Santa Fe Base.

2) I think each major settlement has a doctor somewhere. It honestly seemed better to me than when I always just went back to AG Center to heal up in Arizona.

Outdoorsman is your friend. No one wants to deal with some of those annoying encounters after a while... though I also recall one encounter map was ridiculously easy to just go to the exit without even encountering the enemy spawn so at least that's something to hope for each time.

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm kind of playing it to much but damn I love it.

Any idea how long the game is? I just got to the canyon entrance. I already completed Darwin and Rail Nomad though, dunno if they were supposed to be before or after.

Also, are General Vargas and his team from the first Wasteland? I've looked up a few things, and they seemed to mention the first game. Would be cool if it was.

You're a little less than halfway through I think. And yeah, Vargas and his team were the "default" Rangers in the first game that you can just jump in with if you don't feel like making your own characters.

edit: Yeah, Ace was a recruit and also a notable character for being able to repair a car that would let you skip some tedious ground to cover. I think most people would pick up Ace on their first playthrough, so it made a bit of sense to choose him as an important character to reference.

TheContact

I want to continue to play this game because I really like it but I can't get past the ag center. All my characters are out of ammo and are really low on hp. I can't figure out a way to get health back, any tips? I've used all my med packs

Begaria

Just finished the game after 63 hours. Good game with a buggy last quarter - not all of the second half of the game is buggy. Well worth the extra money I threw at Torment to get a copy of Wasteland 2.

Shengar

I want to continue to play this game because I really like it but I can't get past the ag center. All my characters are out of ammo and are really low on hp. I can't figure out a way to get health back, any tips? I've used all my med packs

That sounds like pretty bad situation. How further have you been into Ag Center? Have you cleared the basement? What enemy you up against? In my first run, I never run out of my bullets because I'm never cleared the enemy on Killing Fields (those rabbits are tough motherfucker).

DiscoJer

They were the default player characters. Ace was a recruitable NPC

They're also in the novelization of the first game, which comes with the deluxe version of the game.

That's actually one of the things with older style CRPGs, they are often much harder early on, because you don't have much in the way of resources. And in this particular case, you apparently aren't allowed to leave the AG center if you do it first.

I would say just edit the save files. They are just .xml, so you can open them with a text editor. Just look for <curHp>

Deraj

Finally finished the game and somehow managed to rack up 200 + hours.. I think I grinded too much since I cruised through the last few battles. Really enjoyed it overall, though the first half was a lot better, and the ending was telegraphed from almost the start of the game. Still, it was refreshing to play a game with intelligent writing that was so self-aware. Favorite quote from one of the shrines was "
I wish they'd used the Unreal engine.
"

DiscoJer

I was hoping there would be a New game +, or at least the ability export your Rangers and import them into a new game, like in the original.

Thankfully, it seems you can just copy and paste the data from the save games files into a .char file in the pre-made character directory (changing the header a little)

TheContact

That sounds like pretty bad situation. How further have you been into Ag Center? Have you cleared the basement? What enemy you up against? In my first run, I never run out of my bullets because I'm never cleared the enemy on Killing Fields (those rabbits are tough motherfucker).

They're also in the novelization of the first game, which comes with the deluxe version of the game.

I just collected all the pod plant parts and have to go to the basement in the mushroom caves but the poison in the hallway kills me and by the time I get to the giant insects in the cave they just one shot me because all my chars hp is low.

That's actually one of the things with older style CRPGs, they are often much harder early on, because you don't have much in the way of resources. And in this particular case, you apparently aren't allowed to leave the AG center if you do it first.

I would say just edit the save files. They are just .xml, so you can open them with a text editor. Just look for <curHp>

I'll try doing this, I don't like to do this but I just need to get my HP back up at least so I can continue

From reading their forums, InXile seem very committed to post-release support and bug squashing, but I'm curious if they'll make any major balancing changes. I'd love to see the game get a few more passes to make more builds, skills, weapons, tactics, etc. more viable.

Sometimes I imagine how good this game would be if the combat were even somewhere close to as robust and fun as XCOM, and it's basically heaven.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The next major patch is currently slated for the end of this week and should hopefully shore up some more of the issues in LA.

That makes me tempted to hold off playing for a few days, since I'm early on in LA now (no problems so far, but I've only been to
Santa Fe, Rodia and some small maps in the area
).

AHA-Lambda

Good to hear I've just cleared Santa Fe personally.

Outdoorsman is your friend. No one wants to deal with some of those annoying encounters after a while... though I also recall one encounter map was ridiculously easy to just go to the exit without even encountering the enemy spawn so at least that's something to hope for each time.

Isn't that only for random encounters in the wild? I just mean generally cos I've been avoiding most of those.
At the prison section, fighting the foremen outside the farm was obscene, what there's like 15-20 people there >_<

Good to hear I've just cleared Santa Fe personally.

Isn't that only for random encounters in the wild? I just mean generally cos I've been avoiding most of those.
At the prison section, fighting the foremen outside the farm was obscene, what there's like 15-20 people there >_<

There's a good, defensible spot
in the back corner, behind a fence and two buildings, where you can effectively bottlekneck their attack. When I (accidentally) triggered their hostility while breaking fences this was where I successfully made my stand. The fences shelter you from direct fire, and the buildings' vantage points distract lobbers into wasting their turn. From there, with adequate ranged weapons, you can pick them off as they arrive in the line of fire. A killing zone.
About the prison complex itself, how many ways are there to get in there? I couldn't find a single way inside, aside from
that broken robot that I couldn't fix. I assume it let me in somehow, but I never found the missing part...

BigDes

There's a good, defensible spot
in the back corner, behind a fence and two buildings, where you can effectively bottlekneck their attack. When I (accidentally) triggered their hostility while breaking fences this was where I successfully made my stand. The fences shelter you from direct fire, and the buildings' vantage points distract lobbers into wasting their turn. From there, with adequate ranged weapons, you can pick them off as they arrive in the line of fire. A killing zone.
About the prison complex itself, how many ways are there to get in there? I couldn't find a single way inside, aside from
that broken robot that I couldn't fix. I assume it let me in somehow, but I never found the missing part...

Two ways I have found

The broken robot parts is a drop from one of the robots in a later part of the game, similarly later on in the world map you will get a radio message about you poisoning the dude in the prison's dogs. You can find the cure to it and he will let you in and it is possible to resolve the whole thing peacefully

Dresden

Two ways I have found

similarly later on in the world map you will get a radio message about you poisoning the dude in the prison's dogs. You can find the cure to it and he will let you in and it is possible to resolve the whole thing peacefully

I've done that but I think I'll deal with it violently next run, after seeing
what he did to the captured ranger in his fort. Fuck Bobby and his dead dog.

batfax

Yep. Next playthrough I'm going to try to find a way or think of some way to cheese blasting through that place on my first visit.

Two ways I have found

The broken robot parts is a drop from one of the robots in a later part of the game, similarly later on in the world map you will get a radio message about you poisoning the dude in the prison's dogs. You can find the cure to it and he will let you in and it is possible to resolve the whole thing peacefully

I see. Thanks for the info.

This makes me wish that
the guns at the door weren't gamebreakingly OP so I could just blow them down with a long-ranged weapon of some sort, instead of this big runaround.

BeesEight

The next major patch is currently slated for the end of this week and should hopefully shore up some more of the issues in LA.

This is good to know. I just got to L.A. I'll hold off playing until the patch hits.

Hm, I missed this. However,
everyone at Happy Valley was dead when I got back from the Canyon of Titan. Don't know if it was a bug or not but I just pretended that the Red Skorpions went on a killing spree so had no issue with murdering that obnoxious idiot. Found it really funny he only had 45 hp too. His dogs are far more threatening.

TheContact

I edited my save file and gave me enough ammo and health packs to get me through the ag center, I'm really enjoying this game despite the bugs, visual glitches and plot inconsistencies I've run into so far. The plot inconsistency reminded me of Divinity in the ag center when I
met with Sue and completed the area he was in, then went back to the other side and Rose was commenting about something as if she had no idea we just spoke with the guy

Sothpaw

Nice. Really loving the game, but I am only just starting Titan Canyon now (been super busy since release). Looks like a nice patch will hit in time for me to start LA.

What is the pro and cons between DMB and Mad Monks? Is it any other rout to finish Canyon of the Titan?

I'm just there too. I am inclined to go with the DMB because the Mad Monks are out of their fucking minds.

Just beat it, took me 53 hours. It was clunky, ugly and
Hollywood
was a buggy mess...but I loved it.

The final fight was a boring slog though.

Shengar

I'm just there too. I am inclined to go with the DMB because the Mad Monks are out of their fucking minds.

I also thought like that first, not the to mention the amount of Raiders that hijack their Titan's Peace bullshit and robbing poor people. Until....
Don't read until you've made it far into the canyon
DBM contact talks very sweet about themselves that I'm began to have suspicious thought about them being nothing but a better Red Skorpion Militia. Later into the canyon it turned to be quite as they robbed passerby, sometimes kills them. Sure, the first survivor of their attack is a raider (Skunk Pig) but the DBM also rob the guy who've been robbed by Skunk Pig. That just as low as it can get.

Well I must give props to inXile to write things like this.

Dresden

What is the pro and cons between DMB and Mad Monks? Is it any other rout to finish Canyon of the Titan?

I finished it by (Canyon end)
agreeing to help out the monks, but then disabling the nuke when I found it, which results in the massacre of the monks and the collapse of the society there. Got back and there was nothing but dead monks and patrolling raiders/DBM.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
This makes me wish that
the guns at the door weren't gamebreakingly OP so I could just blow them down with a long-ranged weapon of some sort, instead of this big runaround.

Funny thing is, this is something that they changed for the release version. In the backer beta the
turrets were really powerful, but they weren't the invincible death-dealing machines they are in the final game. If you were well-equipped and had a decent number of levels under your belt you could fight your way in on your first visit to the prison.

Seems like a bit of a step backward in terms of affording players choice, but from what I recall from the beta forums there were a fair few people who pretty much got stranded at that part because they didn't realize that that section wasn't mandatory and that there were alternative possibilities for finishing it. Wonder if inXile made the change so it'd be explicit that you don't have to complete that area so early.

Funny thing is, this is something that they changed for the release version. In the backer beta the
turrets were really powerful, but they weren't the invincible death-dealing machines they are in the final game. If you were well-equipped and had a decent number of levels under your belt you could fight your way in on your first visit to the prison.

Seems like a bit of a step backward in terms of affording players choice, but from what I recall from the beta forums there were a fair few people who pretty much got stranded at that part because they didn't realize that that section wasn't mandatory and that there were alternative possibilities for finishing it. Wonder if inXile made the change so it'd be explicit that you don't have to complete that area so early.

That's a bit of a bummer... It's a very unusual choice, counter to everything else I've witnessed in the game so far. I can't agree with it, 'cuz ultimately you have to trust the players' judgement... and in this case they are not.

Shengar

I usually try to solve problems with peaceful solution in game like this. But I do make an exception: I don't make a deal with raiders or their kind. Most of the time I always make sure I shoot their heads off. This what makes me so torn at Canyon of Titan.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That's a bit of a bummer... It's a very unusual choice, counter to everything else I've witnessed in the game so far. I can't agree with it, 'cuz ultimately you have to trust the players' judgement... and in this case they are not.

I ain't really fond of it either; it feels awfully kludge-y in general and it also makes it impossible to (Prison resolution spoilers all up ins this black box)
get an ending for the prison that doesn't result in all the civilians dying
, which is... yeah, a bit of a bummer, really. In the beta you could avert all that by puttin' ya guns on and finishing the job that Angela, Vargas, et al started lo all those many years ago when they
just didn't bury li'l Bobby deep enough.

The final game is just all like el oh el
get fucked Happy Valley
no matter what you do.

Shengar

I finished it by (Canyon end)
agreeing to help out the monks, but then disabling the nuke when I found it, which results in the massacre of the monks and the collapse of the society there. Got back and there was nothing but dead monks and patrolling raiders/DBM.

Wait,
so if we defused it, even without telling about it to anyone else, the Mad Monk still get slaughtered?

DiscoJer

Wait,
so if we defused it, even without telling about it to anyone else, the Mad Monk still get slaughtered?

I defused the nuke and never went back to the canyon, but in the ending sequence it said it was a bad move because the two sides keep on fighting and chaos ensued.

You can
disarm the nuke the Monks want you to retrieve. The canyon goes to hell without the threat of mutually assured destruction, but hey, at least no one gets nuked now or in the future.

Re: the prison,
yeah, I was kinda annoyed the way that works out. By the time you get the tank tread to storm in there and kill Danforth (which is what I wanted to do), it triggers a whole other thing with the poisoned dogs that seems to have killed off the people working the farm. I then cured the dogs because that seemed most reasonable.

I guess it's possible to still kill Danforth, but the prison is already a graveyard at that point. Unless it's possible to stop Jobe from poisoning the dogs somehow, I felt kinda herded down a plot corridor.

Combined with
the incurable woman moaning in one corner
, Happy Valley sure is depressing for the player.

BeesEight

Wait,

When you defused the nuke, the mad monks (for whatever reason) broadcast to the world that they have no nuke. Probably because they're mad.

um yeah i am stuck at the ambush level in LA, basically getting destroyed going in there. I might give up playing the game or cheat!

I really wished they went with another engine then Unity, it sucks and glitches a TON.

Quick question:

Hollywood:
Where is Raji, apparently there is a quest involving him, but I have no idea where the hell he is.

And maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to annotate the map in the game? The minimap is borderline useless without it.

Quick question:

Hollywood:
Where is Raji, apparently there is a quest involving him, but I have no idea where the hell he is.

And maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to annotate the map in the game? The minimap is borderline useless without it.

Cemetary

Finalow

played for a couple of hours, it reminds me a lot of fallout 1-2, good stuff. the first area with mutant animals/plants is pretty ugly though.

some tips on farming money and ammo easily enough?

Varna

played for a couple of hours, it reminds me a lot of fallout 1-2, good stuff. the first area with mutant animals/plants is pretty ugly though.

I'm not doing anything special and I'm pretty loaded on cash and ammo already. I'm probably 6 or so hours ahead of you. Just feels very rough at first.

Anyone in here using a G-Sync monitor? I read that it's not working correctly in this game... fine with me, but I'm getting a lot of crashing in this game only. Does this game have an issue with just being played on a G-Sync/Maybe 144mhz monitors?

Deraj

Grab a spade and use the "Z" highlight key everywhere you go.

Just beat it.

Enjoyed it for the most part. You could tell that some of the quest lines/areas/dialogue in the latter portion of the game had just enough work put in so that you could get through them successfully, but not much more.

Also wondering if there is any way to find out what happened to
Angela Deth? The ending just mentions that I wasn't able to find any traces of what happened to her. Are there any to find, I thought I searched the area pretty well?

H1PSTER

I desperately want to get into this game but
Someone in my team always dies to a fucking frog
so I can't really ease into it as I did with other games.

I absolutely love it but I am so frustrated with restarting for numerous reasons like not wanting my teamcomp and
giant fucking frogs

What do?

Shengar

I desperately want to get into this game but
Someone in my team always dies to a fucking frog
so I can't really ease into it as I did with other games.

I absolutely love it but I am so frustrated with restarting for numerous reasons like not wanting my teamcomp and
giant fucking frogs

What do?

Which giant frigs that killing you? Radio Tower area or somewhere else?

Finalow

this is pissing me off. I went at Ag Center first.

I did the quest, she gave Matt the cure for the infection and she doesn't cure my fucking party? What?
I have 12k seconds left, how much time left until I get into the stage of not being able to cure it anymore? Am I missing something here?

oh of course I also have no more ammo for the weapons I use, but I got 100 for pistols. and no one there sells any. if I go back to the first location to buy them I'm sure those 12k seconds will drop drastically.

Top Bottom