• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

seph1roth

So you think the DRMfree savegame will be compatible? That happened before? saves from (for example) Shadowrun returns from GOG are compatible with steam version?

OH GOD...Now i'm cancelling my date for sure...maybe next weekend sweetie :D

Alebelly

This is the second time I try to play it. The first I wasn't relly feeling it and my save got erased by mistake. This time I'm linking it though. I think I'm in the final stretch of the base game, then I have Awakening and the stand alone DLCs.

BTW, can't wait to see if any of the 1300 lines of dialogue I've translated to Italian made it into the game. (/stealth bragging)

Thats awesome, lol

Decado

For whatever reasons that I cant quite put my finger on, I've never made it past 1/2 in DA, and Ive restarted that game countless times
I didn't come close to finishing it. Character development was crap...you'd max out skill branches 1/3 of the way through the game. Couldn't see the point of continuing.

Alebelly

I didn't come close to finishing it. Character development was crap...you'd max out skill branches 1/3 of the way through the game. Couldn't see the point of continuing.

Nothing about the game is necessarily my favorite, but I had/have an idea about it that compels me to keep trying it again and see if I could do it better, (yes, definition of insanity, I know)

Haven't played it quite awhile, though

autoduelist

man I love it when an awesome game I didn't really know about creeps up on me like this. I'm reading this manual and holy mother of god I have to own this game... It's the Fallout I've wanted for years man holy shit

Technically, this is the Fallout some of us have wanted since before Fallout existed. I've wanted a sequel to Wasteland for decades, but was content with the Fallout Series (the originals + tactics). That we're getting this now is... more epic than epic. It's like I won the game lottery.

Though I suppose second prize.
to be fair to my avatar.

Fucking hell, I'm at least a full day away from playing the game and character creation paralysis is already creeping in. Feels bad, and yet so good.

I linked this video earlier in the thread. It's slightly spoilery and very power gamery, but if you want a rundown of what the stats do, which skills are important, and some ways to build your party, it's pretty good.

As a summary of his advice, combined with my own observations (and this does get powergamey and a little spoilery):

Pay attention to the attributes' derived stat breakpoints. You can see these when you hover over the attributes. For example, you get an extra skill point for investing 4/8/10 points in intelligence, so don't put 3 or 5 points in there.

Balance your action points and combat initiative, this is really important. Don't fill up on AP and ignore initiative, init is what helps you take more turns vs. the enemy's turns. It can be more beneficial overall to have higher initiative than AP, but at the same time you want enough AP to be able to use your chosen weapon efficiently (multiple shots per turn etc.).

Luck and charisma are dump stats. Luck just doesn't provide enough good benefits for its investment, too much randomness involved. Charisma is really designed just for a character who invests in the leadership skill. Higher cha can get you more XP, but it's not like you're going to run out of opportunities to earn XP throughout the game. Charisma also affects which NPCs you can recruit based on the entire party's cha added together, but you can get some NPCs for free anyway, and with at least one character with high charisma you should be able to get some good NPC partners. Both of these attributes can be lowered to 1 for most characters without really affecting much.

Heavy armors require strength of 4 to 6 to wear effectively (depending on the armor). Just keep that in mind, it would suck to get to the point where you find more heavy armors and discover that nobody can wear them!

Each weapon type requires a different amount of AP to fire. If you want to design really efficient characters, you will want to read up on these so you can have enough AP to fire your weapons twice or use burst fire, that sort of thing. For example, handgun shots are 3 AP, so you might want your handgun man to have 9 AP.

Some weapon types are less useful than others due to high AP costs or not having as much armor penetration ability, which is very important. It's subtractive, so if a guy has 2 armor and you shoot him once and deal 9 damage, you'll actually deal 7. However, if you shoot them 3 times for 3 damage each, you'll only deal 3 (1 damage from each shot that gets through). Because of this, handguns and SMGs can struggle against armor. Sniper rifles, assault rifles and blunt weapons are all very good. Shotguns take 5 AP to fire which is high, and the cone can be tough to aim so you don't hit your own party.

Almost all the non-combat skills are useful and open up new dialogue and questing opportunities. You will want all of them at some point if roleplay is important to you. Barter is an exception, apparently it doesn't provide any roleplay/dialogue options, at least in the beta. Alarm disarming is slightly less useful than other skills, being utilized less often.

Toaster repair seems very important. You will find a lot of minor quest completion items inside toasters! Weaponsmithing is also very useful for modding your weapons and also making money.

I'll put this in a separate spoiler since it's more metagamey...skills you may want to avoid because a lot of recruitable NPCs have them include
brute force and outdoorsman. Additionally, one NPC you can get right at the start of the game has brute force, outdoorsman, kiss ass and weaponsmithing, so you might be able to get away with avoiding those at the start.

You will want one character with high leadership to keep your NPCs in line. This means he probably wants high charisma, which is one of the few synergies between skill and attribute. Since he's already going to have high charisma which is not very useful in combat, you may as well go all out and give him high intelligence as well and make him your kinda non-combat guy with the speech skills.

It might be a good idea to have one character who is melee-focused, you can save a lot on ammo that way and the melee skills are quite good. Speed is very important for them, since it determines how far you can move, so they'll be able to get into the middle of combat and whack people. They will also want high strength.

You will probably want one field medic/surgeon, and then one other character with surgeon to revive the first in case of emergency.

Kvik

It's actually 33 GB in total. If you install the beta today and then the update tomorrow, you'll actually download even more in absolute terms, but it'll be quicker than download the full 33 tomorrow.

33Gig download, in an isometric RPG? I thought this wasn't fully voiced. Or maybe there are a lot of maps, hopefully.

Edit: Thanks Coreda for the avatar badge.

Vaporak

I can't believe this is about to be released, where does the time go. I think it's about time to start playing these old school revival wRPG's. I still haven't even touched Divinity or Shadowrun.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Only played like 6 hours of Divinity but fuck it. Gonna buy this. I can safely play this alone without anyone complaining that I am not co-oping with them lol

I still don't understand how this game manages to be 33 GB.

What files in the beta are taking up so much space?

Only played like 6 hours of Divinity but fuck it. Gonna buy this. I can safely play this alone without anyone complaining that I am not co-oping with them lol

tesuoo, why aren't you co-oping with me? :(
Please don't.

Dresden

Just started Divinity but I'll probably play this first.

The new game feel is too much to resist.

Sanctuary

Is this game only being sold in the higher-priced-because-it-includes-a-bunch-of-stuff-I-don't-care-about editions? I can't find anything but the deluxe version, and I don't see how this is a $60 game.

Is this game only being sold in the higher-priced-because-it-includes-a-bunch-of-stuff-I-don't-care-about editions? I can't find anything but the deluxe version, and I don't see how this is a $60 game.

The $60 reward tier during their Kickstarter gave backers early access and the digital extras. The price will go down when the game officially releases.

Kvik

According to this post from Brother None, it will be $40 after release, but you have to see for yourself what the game is worth to you.

With regard to the 33 gig size, I would guess that Unity is a little poorly optimized for games of this scale. I think the developer-friendliness has a bit of a sacrifice.

Sanctuary

Well I saw the $40 quote, which is why I asked what was up. The standard game should actually have been listed on Steam by now.

Kinthalis

Banned

The game definitely has content and quality enough to be worth $60, IMHO, but regardless, I believe on launch day it will be cheaper, I think $30 or $40 is the target price.

Mr. Tibbs

With regard to the 33 gig size, I would guess that Unity is a little poorly optimized for games of this scale. I think the developer-friendliness has a bit of a sacrifice.

Yeah, Unity isn't the best for large scale projects. Wasteland 2 would've had around 25-35 devs working on it, right?

Asking for helping completing the beta:

Just cleared out the Wrecker Outpost. How do I get the Rad Suits necessary for getting into the prison? I'm trying to perfect my beta run for the speed run tonight.

Thanks in advance, WasteGAF.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Well I saw the $40 quote, which is why I asked what was up. The standard game should actually have been listed on Steam by now.

Not possible according to the Devs since it's listed as Early Access. Will be $40 at 12 AM PDT.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean 33 gb is excessive but this IS supposed to be a huge game, 60+ hours according to the devs. Wouldnt surprise me.

DiscoJer

Looking at the Beta, most of the file size consists of files ending in .unity3d. Seems to be about a gigabyte per location (multiple files adding up to that)

So you think the DRMfree savegame will be compatible? That happened before? saves from (for example) Shadowrun returns from GOG are compatible with steam version?

OH GOD...Now i'm cancelling my date for sure...maybe next weekend sweetie :D

AFAIK, the Steam version is actually DRM free. They've said you will be able to run it without launching it from Steam, just by running the .exe

I mean 33 gb is excessive but this IS supposed to be a huge game, 60+ hours according to the devs. Wouldnt surprise me.

And you know, text doesn't take up a lot of space, but the statement they've been making for a while now is that the game contains more text than the entire Lord of the Rings. And there has to be plenty of corresponding characters, items, environments etc. that go along with that text to justify it.

rickyson1

so I just realized that with this releasing at 3 am and me having the beta version already downloaded(been waiting for the full version to play it) i'm gonna have it already fully downloaded by the time i wake up without me even having to do anything at all

thanks steam!

Wedge7

Game looks so sick.

Love the feeling and vibe you get from it. Hitting those nostalgia feels hard. Cant wait till its out in the next few.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
EA's thing in the '80s was to make computer game box art look like music album art.

IMG_1825.jpg

It was amazing.
Hell yeah!

Archon_box.png

Mule_box1.jpg

dr-j-and-larry-bird-one-on-one1-296x300.jpg

JoeBoy101

I'll take a key. :)

Regardless, this has my attention. I liked Divinity's gameplay, but it never seemed like it got its tone right to me. This, on the other hand...

O.DOGG

So another 3 hours, huh? I was hoping the game would be available by the time I woke up this morning. Well, I can wait I guess. I'll look over the manual while I wait.

Spookie

When does the download go up? Should only take me 30 mins to download and I'd like to play it before I leave for work!

Top Bottom