• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

rob305

Any review that gives this game a 90 rating or higher is lol worthy in my opinion. What we have seen from this game discredits that train of thought immediately. Graphics aside, there is a certain expectation of games that score that high. Watch Dogs which might or might not be good in its own right lacks the level of polish and attention to detail required for a game in that score bracket. This is why I find the 19/20 review to be outrageous. It's completely laughable and came out wayyyy before the review embargo. No game that has come out in 2014 so far is deserving of such a score. Mario Kart 8 might be the first AAA that deserves that score but it's certainly not Watch Dogs.
Here we go!

Jeremy

Biggest negative is it suffers from "Ubification" - Ubisoft's obsessive homogenization of mechanics.

However, it does them all superbly and the amount of content is crazy.

That is all I'll say until review time. I am rolling my eyes at this silly embargo situation, but I would rather my review get read by at least a few people. :)

Thanks for this. I love this place!

Vire

Any review that gives this game a 90 rating or higher is lol worthy in my opinion. What we have seen from this game discredits that train of thought immediately. Graphics aside, there is a certain expectation of games that score that high. Watch Dogs which might or might not be good in its own right lacks the level of polish and attention to detail required for a game in that score bracket. This is why I find the 19/20 review to be outrageous. It's completely laughable and came out wayyyy before the review embargo. No game that has come out in 2014 so far is deserving of such a score. Mario Kart 8 might be the first AAA that deserves that score but it's certainly not Watch Dogs.

Did you play the game by chance?

Reviewers should only give scores to games I don't like

No but seriously, have you even played it? Please don't make such ridiculous statements if you're basing it off a stream you watched.

Hawk269

How long did it take you to beat Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8? Can we have your impressions being that you played and beat both games?

Eusis

So did you play the game?

Like clockwork.

TrueGrime

SMH

Dude where have you been? Ain't a negative Watch Dogs thread until my man TheCloser shows up. I needed a negative update...

Said no one ever.

TheCloser

Banned
Wow, looks like the watch dogs defence force is in full effect. Please before you crucify me for my post, please go back and read it again. Please note how I failed to critique the games content. I have gotten some hands time with it on a friends pc and i do not feel it is anywhere close to being deserving of a 19/20. A game that gets 19/20 means that it not only fully executes it's vision but does so almost flawlessly. Please, be honest with yourselves. Watch Dogs lacks some serious polish and you can see where shortcuts have been taken.

viveks86

Didn't you get the tag even before this? Are you just living up to it now?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.

f66.jpg

Gibbo

Urgh. I think this sums up the thread perfectly- and shows the embarrassing level of overreaction that we get on GAF in threads of similar nature.

Wow, looks like the watch dogs defence force is in full effect. Please before you crucify me for my post, please go back and read it again. Please note how I failed to critique the games content. I have gotten some hands time with it on a friends pc and i do not feel it is anywhere close to being deserving of a 19/20. A game that gets 19/20 means that it not only fully executes it's vision but does so almost flawlessly. Please, be honest with yourselves. Watch Dogs lacks some serious polish and you can see where shortcuts have been taken.

You just went full GameFAQs.

Never go full GameFAQs.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Every time I see a new reply I am expecting new reviews from the major sites.

Also, I wonder why a few in the OP have no score, not that I disagree, just weird given the trend of game reviews.

lol.

Anyway I enjoyed the tutorial...downloading the rest right now. :(

Looks pretty good so far though.

TheCloser

Banned
Dude where have you been? Ain't a negative Watch Dogs thread until my man TheCloser shows up. I needed a negative updtate...

Said no one ever.
Sorry, I was holding my tongue after seeing the 19/20 review and waiting till I got some hands on time with the game to comment on whether it justified that score. Sorry, next time I will jump to conclusions.

AHA-Lambda

As a longtime fan of Jim Sterling, his approval of this game means more to me than anything else I've read so far. Wasn't planning on picking it up tomorrow, but that just changed.

Woah, this is the first piece of legit news I've heard that shows this game could be good :eek:

Eusis

Sorry, I was holding my tongue after seeing the 19/20 review and waiting till I got some hands on time with the game to comment on whether it justified that score. Sorry, next time I will jump to conclusions.
Depending on how much time you actually spent with the game you may as well have.

Plus sometimes you just really, really like something even with its issues.

Nico_D

...and the amount of content is crazy.

As if "collect all the feather's/data packs/documents/what-not's" mechanic seen since 2007? Or find/steal every available car? Play dice or checkers in a pub? Rescue some anonymous randomly generated NPC from danger?

I've come to trust your reviews as your and mine tastes in games seem to be on the same track - but that said, I'm getting a bit bored of Ubisoft games when it seems that the only novelty with them is getting a bigger map and a new protagonist. Storytelling hasn't exactly been their strongest suit since AC2/Brotherhood - although I don't know what is, maybe they just do everything "good enough" without anything bothering gamers.

What bugs me the most with Ubisoft and for example AC4 that their games are given such a high scores when they actually offer little new - whereas Nintendo is always bashed harshly for releasing "just another Mario". How has Ubisoft gotten a position like that?

Eusis

Am I the only one laughing at the "friend's pc" bit?
If it's not laughing then it's at least not taking it seriously. Taken at face value that's, what, 20 minutes of game time? That doesn't sound like enough to say "all of these reviews are WRONG!"

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
As if "collect all the feather's/data packs/documents/what-not's" mechanic seen since 2007? Or find/steal every available car? Play dice or checkers in a pub? Rescue some anonymous randomly generated NPC from danger?

I've come to trust your reviews as your and mine tastes in games seem to be on the same track - but that said, I'm getting a bit bored of Ubisoft games when it seems that the only novelty with them is getting a bigger map and a new protagonist. Storytelling isn't exactly their strongest suit - although I don't know what is, maybe they just do everything "good enough" without anything bothering gamers.

What bugs me the most with Ubisoft and for example AC4 that their games are given such a high scores when they actually offer little new - whereas Nintendo is always bashed harshly for deing "just another Mario". How has Ubisoft gotten a position like that?

Are they really, now?

Give me a break, the latest Mario and Mario Kart games have been extremely well received....

There is a lot of that, but that's in ADDITION to scads of other extra content, too. I spent an entire review day skipping the campaign to do Fixer missions, which are all very varied, or indulging in some of the truly bizarre optional content (there is some crazy shit in this game, and it's all optional).

If it's not laughing then it's at least not taking it seriously. Taken at face value that's, what, 20 minutes of game time? That doesn't sound like enough to say "all of these reviews are WRONG!"
The implication is that "friends pc" is a cover for illegally pirating the game himself.

WoolyNinja

You just went full GameFAQs.

Never go full GameFAQs.

P-p-p-p-please d-d-d-d-on't r-r-r-review t-t-t-too h-h-h-high

EDIT: got to excited about the (i assume) Tropic Thunder reference. Meant to also mention I can't wait for the reviews. Most of the GAF impressions are more positive than I anticipated and the urge to hold off on this game is getting harder to ignore.

Top Bottom