• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

JayEH

Always great to see embargos on West Coast time when the game is already on sale for over half of the country.

I feel like I'm a minority among gamers at times. I watch a few videos, see some screenshots, MAYBE listen to a dev talk about the game. Reviews have little to no effect on my purchasing decisions. I might check what the game got on average and think to myself "I agree or disagree with the majority of the reviewers". I can't think of a single time a review has made me change a decision to buy a game. (though the opposite has happen; going from not interested in a game to buying).

Eusis

Vice city.
A collection of actual 80s music is kind of cheating, if we're looking for something 80s style.

I think ME gives Hotline Miami a good challenge though. I'd probably go with Hotline Miami for variety's sake but ME really nails that 80s or 70s sci-fi movie feel.

raven777

So many people still confused. Gonna paste this in every page if someone else doesn't :D

t1401174060z4.png

I really appreciate these timers since I suck with timezones.

Vice city.

That's not really fair. Vice City is a soundstrack full of bonafide 80s classics. It's not "80s style," it's literally the 80s. Hotline Miami is a retrowave 80s electro revival type soundtrack. I don't think it's comparable aside from the 80s vibe.

Eh!? Are you serious. That was the greatest 80's soundtrack I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy while going on crazy rampages and stunt jumping. Just saying.

The music wasn't as original as the stuff in Hotline Miami. A fine soundtrack almost definetly, but not as fresh and evocative as HM's soundtrack, it's more original.

Metronews - No score

On the footsteps of GTA V, Watch Dogs manages to stand out from its famed predecessor. Missions come one after another with a quick rhythm as you go across a futuristic Chicago, in a game which questions hacking and the protection of personal data. A great game made by a French studio. Cocorico!

Pros:

• A living city
  • A lot of mini-gales
  • We're not playing as a bad guy anymore!
Cons:

• Unrealistic driving
  • Bad enemy AI

br3wnor

A collection of actual 80s music is kind of cheating, if we're looking for something 80s style.

I think ME gives Hotline Miami a good challenge though. I'd probably got with Hotline Miami for variety's sake but ME really nails that 80s or 70s sci-fi movie feel.

That's a good point, especially the original ME had some pretty great tracks, set such a great atmosphere. Hotline Miami w/ headphones is just unrivaled though

FanSided - 5.5

Watch Dogs is a game that has a great concept, but fails to deliver that all-time great experience that will make it a game people talk about for years.

Ultimately, it’s a game that feels like Ubisoft spent more time worrying about the look of it rather than the gameplay. It felt rushed, and it plays like a game that wasn’t truly ready for release. And though I tried to look at the positives this game has, the negatives just put too much of a damper on it to thoroughly enjoy a game that, I feel, has a great story concept just waiting to be utilized by the right people. Right now, it’s simply a game that will wear out its welcome much sooner than many would’ve believed.

Gamenguide - No score

As fun and amazing as it is (and as great as it looks on next-gen, even if it’s infuriating that a game on these systems still has some pop-up issues) you still can’t help but feel like it’s not different enough to make it stand out. That if a new GTA came swooping down to show people how things are done you’d forget this game even existed.

Maybe in the next iteration or two Watch Dogs will find its own personality and become its own unstoppable beast. There’s certainly a ton to like here, and you’ll spend hours upon hours sucked into it, exploring, collecting, and having fun with the multiplayer. It’s an immensely polished experience, it just didn’t have enough guts to try its own thing.

Eusis

yeah. 5.5/10
A 5.5 scale would've been kind of goofy anyway. As if you missed the point that "going to 11" is a Spinal Tap reference.

EDIT: Also didn't expect to seriously see a score that low at least this soon, but it'll be interesting to see if it's one dissenting voice or not.

Visual-M Media: 4/5

The main story in Watch Dogs is great and so are the side missions. There’s a lot to do in the side mission and there’s a lot of them if you decide to step away from the main story. Where Watch Dogs suffer is in the driving mechanics, which would have made Watch Dogs an almost perfect game. Overall Watch Dogs is a great game and we would definitely recommend you pick it up and add it to your collection. Hopefully over the next few months to come there will be patches to improve the troubles that holds Watch Dogs back from being superb game in the open world genres.

I know it is a small thing. But the terrible Chicago accents of the cops in the clips I have seen kind of turn me off.

I'm flipping back ob forth on the fence for this one.

Naminator

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not taking any of these "reviews" seriously until they show some proof that they have bought a legit copy of the game.

Tekniqs

will wake up and read reviews and buy the game regardless of scores. Game looks interesting.

Will watch the thread meltdown though, be it for high scores or low scores.

There’s a lot of things you will notice on foot like characters getting into disputes over a car accident or if Aiden pose a threat to them by pulling a gun on them. One thing we did notice is that you can’t physically harm or hit pedestrians.

That Visual-M review is horseshit lol

Gaz_RB

Might be the worst review I've read in a while. Reads like someone took one of the french reviews, put it in google translate, and then posted it.

Europe 1 - No score

Should you buy Watch Dogs? No need to beat around the bush: Watch Dogs is an excellent game, the first great game of the new console generation (PS4 and Xbox One). Thanks to an original, brillantly-handled theme -hacking- combined with a realistic and technically accomplished universe, the game manages to charm. But the lack of balance between shooting and hacking scenes, the sometimes uneven difficulty and the too often repetitive missions prevent the title from joining the greatest ones in video game history such as the previous episodes of GTA.

Top Bottom