• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

TheCloser

Banned
Have you even been to gag for the past 2 months ? There is no defense force for watch dogs. Reviews are what some industry insiders like to call "subjective". The idea that someone is somehow irrational because they are undermining your imposed projection (there's that word again) of how to objectively evaluate something that is inherently boiled down to subject priority in regards to evaluation is pretty astounding and pretty arrogant. The game could flop critically, but don't attempt some pseudo-intellectual debate about an objective standard you are clearly determining for others.
Reviews are 100% subjective till a score is attached to it. I actually made a thread to ask about gafs opinion on the topic. I offered very little of my input in the thread but someone felt that the post was driven about review score of a game I didn't like. The thread went to shit for a bit and then when a mod came in and gave me the tag. I essentially paraphrased another gaffers comment as a point of discussion for the thread and i got the tag. To me, it's a bs tag and i dont agree with it because it wasn't the reason behind me making the thread but whatever. That's what happens when someone else jumps to conclusions.

SeanR1221

This thread is really weird.

Oh well, I'm just as excited for it as I've always been.

Of course I just started vomiting 30 minutes ago.

Take off work and play watch doges?

We'll see how I feel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Reviews are 100% subjective till a score is attached to it. I actually made a thread to ask about gafs opinion on the topic. I offered very little of my input in the thread but someone felt that the post was driven about review score of a game I didn't like. The thread went to shit for a bit and then when a mod came in and gave me the tag. I essentially paraphrased another gaffers comment as a point of discussion for the thread and i got the tag. To me, it's a bs tag and i dont agree with it because it wasn't the reason behind me making the thread but whatever. That's what happens when someone else jumps to conclusions.

based on your posts in this thread...the tag fits though lol

So an opinion can't be expressed as a number?

Lol at those of you justifing a 19/20 score. It's the same people who have been hyping the game since day 1. Any rational person who examines this game will not come to the conclusion that the game deserves a 19/20 score. I'm willing to bet that the meta score won't be 19/20. Any of you who feel the need to take me up on that bet, just pm me.

Who scores a game out of 20 anyways?

I give it 16 bananas out of 31 apples!

demolitio

Weird, the previous page is making Malwarebytes block something

If only it would block certain comments from the last page... :D

Can't wait to get back into MP. So much fun and quite unexpected considering how long it took for them to talk about MP and then mostly talked about one mode. Every MP mode I found enjoyable and much better than GTA Online.

MP will make up for any gripes I have it seems. It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. I just hope there's not too many exploits as I already found one on a map.

The AC series would be so much better if they expanded their MP as well. The default mode was fun for a while but hasn't changed much since Brotherhood. If they did other modes or implemented some of the things from Watch Dogs, that game would benefit as well and make me play it a lot longer after I beat SP. In Black Flag, they should have spent the time to make a naval combat mode even if it was just 1v1 or coop. Not every game needs MP, but if you're going to do it, do it right.

There is a lot of that, but that's in ADDITION to scads of other extra content, too. I spent an entire review day skipping the campaign to do Fixer missions, which are all very varied, or indulging in some of the truly bizarre optional content (there is some crazy shit in this game, and it's all optional).

Thankyou for giving some basic impressions before the stupid embargo lifts.

I needed something to go on because I had asked someone to buy the game for me this afternoon but the embargo lifts an hour before stores shut.

E3 2013 was a fever dream.

200.gif

Dazzler

If only it would block certain comments from the last page... :D

Can't wait to get back into MP. So much fun and quite unexpected considering how long it took for them to talk about MP and then mostly talked about one mode. Every MP mode I found enjoyable and much better than GTA Online.

MP will make up for any gripes I have it seems. It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. I just hope there's not too many exploits as I already found one on a map.

The AC series would be so much better if they expanded their MP as well. The default mode was fun for a while but hasn't changed much since Brotherhood. If they did other modes or implemented some of the things from Watch Dogs, that game would benefit as well and make me play it a lot longer after I beat SP. In Black Flag, they should have spent the time to make a naval combat mode even if it was just 1v1 or coop. Not every game needs MP, but if you're going to do it, do it right.

Probably on my own with this but I have no interest in MP in these open world type games

Wish they just focused on delivering the best single player experience possible

TheCloser

Banned
based on your posts in this thread...the tag fits though lol
Why would it though? The tag says that reviewers should only give scores to games I don't like. I never said I disliked watch dogs. Nope, I only critiqued the 19/20 score. 100% of my complaints about Watch Dogs have been about graphics and the downgrade prior to this thread. I'm 100% within my rights to voice my disdain for the graphics. The problem here is people's inability to read and comprehend simple example english. They immediately associate my dislike for the graphics with my dislike for the game. I can only dislike the game after finishing the story. In a previous thread, I mentioned that I would be going into the game with a biased view point because of the impact the downgrade has had on my perception of the game. People were all up in arms about that trying to tell me how to adjust my mindset. The plot summary did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth because it seemed clichéd but that will not prevent me from playing the game. At this moment in time, people can continue to talk shit and pile it on because it is customary on gaf. I've done it to other users as well when I did not agree with their opinion so it is not surprising that it would happen to me. Either way, the moral of the story here is that people need to learn to read.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Gaf crashes over review threads?whats it like at E3? is the whole place shut down for all of it XD

GAF has an unhealthy obsession with Watch Dogs because of a bullshot trailer raising expectations Sky-High at E3 in 1998. Ubisoft has slowly crushed GAF's dreams through delays and downgrades e'er since.

GAF is now suffering stockholme syndrome from an abusive relationship with Ubisoft. GAF desperately wants it to be both AMAZING and AWFUL at the same time. No matter what scores it gets, 50% of GAF will be overjoyed and the other 50% will spend the next two weeks spending all of their waking hours crusading against the game in various threads.

breakfuss

GAF has an unhealthy obsession with Watch Dogs because of a bullshot trailer raising expectations Sky-High at E3 in 1998. Ubisoft has slowly crushed GAF's dreams through delays and downgrades e'er since.

GAF is now suffering stockholme syndrome from an abusive relationship with Ubisoft. GAF desperately wants it to be both AMAZING and AWFUL at the same time. No matter what scores it gets, 50% of GAF will be overjoyed and the other 50% will spend the next two weeks spending all of their waking hours crusading against the game in various threads.

HAHAHAHA, this is so true. Goddamn.

Phreak47

Why would it though? The tag says that reviewers should only give scores to games I don't like. I never said I disliked watch dogs. Nope, I only critiqued the 19/20 score. 100% of my complaints about Watch Dogs have been about graphics and the downgrade prior to this thread. I'm 100% within my rights to voice my disdain for the graphics. The problem here is people's inability to read and comprehend simple example english. They immediately associate my dislike for the graphics with my dislike for the game. I can only dislike the game after finishing the story. In a previous thread, I mentioned that I would be going into the game with a biased view point because of the impact the downgrade has had on my perception of the game. People were all up in arms about that trying to tell me how to adjust my mindset. The plot summary did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth because it seemed clichéd but that will not prevent me from playing the game. At this moment in time, people can continue to talk shit and pile it on because it is customary on gaf. I've done it to other users as well when I did not agree with their opinion so it is not surprising that it would happen to me. Either way, the moral of the story here is that people need to learn to read.

So much gold

TheCloser

Banned
And what on earth happens when a score is attached to it, pray tell?
You should go read the thread I put up a while back. It's talks about the effect of attaching a numerical score to a review and why it changes it. Essentially the discussion was that when you assign a number to a review, people ignore the written content of the review and use the numerical value as their sole basis of judgment. These numerical values are used to compare games that might not even be in the same genre with one another to determine which game is better. It was mostly discussing it's effects on the mass market and I myself am guilty of that at times.

Eusis

I would think the point of that thread is recognizing that the numbers attached are fundamentally subjective and arbitrary, and thus there's questionable merit to attaching them to a review. Not that they automagically have to be objective measurements of a game because they're there.

And I've seen where that logic goes, there was a review site out there that'd try to average all of the scores in each category and mark down for one or so being irrelevant, such as an MP score in an SP game. So, yeah, fuck that noise.
Well, people may be cynical about Ubisoft homogenization of mechanics too. That really doesn't seem like a great thing to strive for, imagine if Nintendo tried to homogenize Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

jwtsonga

I just beat Splinter Cell: Blacklist about 5 minutes ago.

They weren't lying when they said they took things from that game. Same cover to cover system, some of the same takedown animation, similar guard behavior, same climbing.

Good thing i LOVED SC Blacklist. This game's gonna be so fun!!!

Top Bottom