• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Wow, looks like the watch dogs defence force is in full effect. Please before you crucify me for my post, please go back and read it again. Please note how I failed to critique the games content. I have gotten some hands time with it on a friends pc and i do not feel it is anywhere close to being deserving of a 19/20. A game that gets 19/20 means that it not only fully executes it's vision but does so almost flawlessly. Please, be honest with yourselves. Watch Dogs lacks some serious polish and you can see where shortcuts have been taken.

Your determination to dislike this game is unrivaled and I am glad I woke up just in time for the sludgefeast. I love it.

Gaz_RB

There is a lot of that, but that's in ADDITION to scads of other extra content, too. I spent an entire review day skipping the campaign to do Fixer missions, which are all very varied, or indulging in some of the truly bizarre optional content (there is some crazy shit in this game, and it's all optional).

Seconded. Even the collectibles aren't Ubisoft standard fare.

ramuh

There is a lot of that, but that's in ADDITION to scads of other extra content, too. I spent an entire review day skipping the campaign to do Fixer missions, which are all very varied, or indulging in some of the truly bizarre optional content (there is some crazy shit in this game, and it's all optional).

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I'll wait until your full video and then using that and other GAF impressions I'll decide to pick it up or not. As someone who hasn't beat an Open world game (GTAV, AC 1-4, etc.) since GTA 2 I'll hope for a good "flow" so to speak of the open world to narrative to keep me interested enough to complete it. Come on Aiden be a good character.....

Laugh all you want but the game has been out on PC for a few days now. Those who know how to get it got it. I stated earlier that I would not buy the game until it reaches $20.
Are you stupid? LOL

I forgot that this comes out today/tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting the PS3 version, so hopefully the reviews talk about the past-gen versions.

TheCloser

Banned
Lol at those of you justifing a 19/20 score. It's the same people who have been hyping the game since day 1. Any rational person who examines this game will not come to the conclusion that the game deserves a 19/20 score. I'm willing to bet that the meta score won't be 19/20. Any of you who feel the need to take me up on that bet, just pm me.

Card Boy

Banned
holes-first-law-digging-pickaxe.jpg

Laugh all you want but the game has been out on PC for a few days now. Those who know how to get it got it. I stated earlier that I would not buy the game until it reaches $20.

GAF should pool together and send you $40 right now if you agree to live stream your play through and give us your running opinion.

De_Legend

Banned
I'm still on the fence but it looks good for now, I guess.

ps: dat thread, almost died from laughter, will make a good reading thanks guys.

Lol at those of you justifing a 19/20 score. It's the same people who have been hyping the game since day 1. Any rational person who examines this game will not come to the conclusion that the game deserves a 19/20 score. I'm willing to bet that the meta score won't be 19/20. Any of you who feel the need to take me up on that bet, just pm me.

I haven't hyped it at all. I've always told myself I'll wait for reviews.

How can you, a person who played a pirated copy of the game on a friend's PC for a limited time, say your opinion is more valid than someone with detailed impressions?

Is that tag new or a coincidence?

Pure coincidental.

You are an amazing special snowflake, I hope you know that.

Eusis

Or we could think "man, whatever" and just blow off the score. People love crap you hate all the time, just look at the dough stuff like Twilight keeps pulling in.

ktynn

Banned
Not exactly sure what version of the game they played, but I'm assuming PS4. At least one reviewed the PS4 version, and maybe that version doesn't have the same sorts of issues? It wouldn't be the first time a big open world game has run like crap on PC's. GTA IV was terribly unoptimised too.

Well, point taken! Still, there's a lot of oddities within the inconsistent art direction and lack of depth within nearly every character the game has... i just can't help but feel like the game feels extremely lacking, having played GTA V, which had stellar cutscenes & story.

There's a bit of fun to be found within 'hacking' these small bases, but in the end, this game feels more like a bunch of ideas thrown together, melded by a mediocre story. I'd say Watch Dogs is kinda similar to Saints Row 4 (a lot less 'fun' though) and a lot worse than GTAV. Mainly due to being so inconsistent, and i haven't even talked about the lackluster gunplay, the very dull environements and vehicles, and the weird character animations & physics.

RyudBoy

I just wanna fool around in the city. Hearing conflicting reports that the driving part of the game isn't good is really disappointing. Need to hear more about it before I bite.

Have you even been to gag for the past 2 months ? There is no defense force for watch dogs. Reviews are what some industry insiders like to call "subjective". The idea that someone is somehow irrational because they are undermining your imposed projection (there's that word again) of how to objectively evaluate something that is inherently boiled down to subject priority in regards to evaluation is pretty astounding and pretty arrogant. The game could flop critically, but don't attempt some pseudo-intellectual debate about an objective standard you are clearly determining for others.

UberTag

I'd give the Spider Tank gameplay a 19/20.

Perhaps that's what all the cynical people should do with this game.
Just pretend the rest of it doesn't exist and blow shit up with the Spider Tank.

tuna_love

Banned
Are you a real person?

SRTtoZ

Any review that gives this game a 90 rating or higher is lol worthy in my opinion. What we have seen from this game discredits that train of thought immediately. Graphics aside, there is a certain expectation of games that score that high. Watch Dogs which might or might not be good in its own right lacks the level of polish and attention to detail required for a game in that score bracket. This is why I find the 19/20 review to be outrageous. It's completely laughable and came out wayyyy before the review embargo. No game that has come out in 2014 so far is deserving of such a score. Mario Kart 8 might be the first AAA that deserves that score but it's certainly not Watch Dogs.

Wow.

Top Bottom