• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So what kind of cooking oil/fat do you all use?

I know chemically extracted vegetable and seed oils are terrible for consumptions, and recently I've heard some not so favorable things about olive oil (which I currently use). What's a good and affordable cooking fat?

I've heard great things about coconut oil, but how much of a flavor does it have? If start cooking my steaks in coconut oil, will they taste fruity?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ipukespiders said:
As a suggestion, I always bbq my steaks, so no oil needed. Maybe not practical for everyone. I bbq all year round.

Living in an apartment, barbecue really isn't an option for me, unfortunately.

Zefah said:

I know chemically extracted vegetable and seed oils are terrible for consumptions, and recently I've heard some not so favorable things about olive oil (which I currently use). What's a good and affordable cooking fat?

I've heard great things about coconut oil, but how much of a flavor does it have? If start cooking my steaks in coconut oil, will they taste fruity?
There is nothing wrong with olive oil when used in moderation.

Akim

Banned
I haven't checked in in a while (not that anyone cares)

Starting Point: 298
Last Weigh In (Feb 8th): 197
2-15: 196.2
2-22: 195.6
3-1: 192.8
Month Total: 8 pounds

3-8: 193.2
3-15: 191.2
3-22: 188
Today: 187.6
Month Total: 5.2 Pounds

Zefah said:

Extra virgin coconut oil tastes like coconut. It's delicious, but the taste is unavoidable.

Refined coconut oil has no taste. It's a great neutral cooking oil.

Extra virgin olive oil is pretty heat resistant, owing to the polyphenol content. They protect the fats from oxidation, but the more you heat it the more the polyphenols disappear, which can leave a bad taste. It's okay to use for low to medium-low heat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
infiniteloop said:
I use Coconut oil, really doesn't have much of a taste to it.

Thanks for the answer. I'll give it a try!

Poindexter said:
There is nothing wrong with olive oil when used in moderation.

Sure, but what does "in moderation" mean?

Olive oil is all I have in my house right now, so that means whenever I am cooking something on the pan, which is often, I'm cooking with olive oil.

Price Dalton said:
Extra virgin coconut oil tastes like coconut. It's delicious, but the taste is unavoidable.

Refined coconut oil has no taste. It's a great neutral cooking oil.

Extra virgin olive oil is pretty heat resistant, owing to the polyphenol content. They protect the fats from oxidation, but the more you heat it the more the polyphenols disappear, which can leave a bad taste. It's okay to use for low to medium-low heat.

Thanks! Is there any downside to the refined version of coconut oil? I might pick up both types, because there are undoubtedly some times when I would appreciate the taste of extra virgin coconut oil.

How heat resistant are the two types?

jts

...hate me...
I need to shake things up guys. Although I'm still continuously losing weight, I feel like it's getting a bit stale.

I do ADF, and according to my projections, next Friday I may have lost as little as 0.6lbs from last Friday.

I may just be over-anxious to reach under 80kg (176lbs), which will be huge for me, but yeah, I want to shake things up and do something that makes me lose like 8-10 pounds in a week. Just to keep me going.

Do you recommend anything?

Not a weight loss question, but my wife suffers from migraines. I've been reading recently about omega-3 (fatty fish, flax seed, etc) that it may help.

Any migraine sufferers in here that have any diet tips? Things to take, things to avoid, to help lessen the severity/frequency?

scosher

cryptic said:
Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately, I ended up binging and eating two 125 calorie cookies, two mini apple turnover pastries, two bowls of cereal, 3/4 lb. chicken cordeon bleu, a serving of almond butter with celery, a few bowls of cereal, multiple blackberries/raspberries, 700 calories of nuts, some bite size cookies, a small banana, and all the stuff I ate hours before but never exercised off. It's now 10:00 o clock and I'm once again feeling the need to exercise for the entire night. unfortunately, my parents told me I keep them awake with the treadmill so i don't know what to do. i can't sleep and I have work tomorrow at 7. I think this has gone on too long and I'm just gonna cut my wrists. I can't find any help, there isn't any, and I can't live like this. We'll see if this is my last post. Really stuck right now.

Here's my helpful tips to stave off any cravings:

1) Move out of your parents' house. I'm not saying this to be condescending. I'm saying this because if you live on your own, you have more control of what's in your pantry. If you don't have cookies and pastries in your shelves, then you can't binge, can you?

If moving out isn't a financial option, then:

2) Drink diet soda and chew sugar-free gum whenever you get cravings. I know some will argue that you should cut out all soda and switch to water completely. But the fact is, diet soda is a 0-calorie drink, with negligible amounts of sodium, and while not nutritional, it certainly doesn't harm you. Some argue that drinking it will make you crave sweets/sugar even more, but I dunno, for me, it was the exact opposite. Diet soda would sate my cravings. If you don't like the taste, trust me, you'll not only get used to it, but you'll prefer it to the over-sugared syrupy taste of regular soda.

Chewing sugar-free gum should be obvious.

3) Don't be disheartened. It's hard at first, especially when your stomach hasn't shrunk, but give it one month of keeping away from sweets and the cravings will disappear.

ipukespiders said:
Not a weight loss question, but my wife suffers from migraines. I've been reading recently about omega-3 (fatty fish, flax seed, etc) that it may help.

Any migraine sufferers in here that have any diet tips? Things to take, things to avoid, to help lessen the severity/frequency?
I have had migraines my whole life. Cutting out most carbohydrates has made them a once every 2-3 month thing instead of a twice a month thing.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ipukespiders said:

Vitamin D.

Akim said:
I haven't checked in in a while (not that anyone cares)

Starting Point: 298
Last Weigh In (Feb 8th): 197
2-15: 196.2
2-22: 195.6
Month Total: 8 pounds

3-8: 193.2
3-15: 191.2
3-22: 188
Today: 187.6
Month Total: 5.2 Pounds

Congrats, what's your program?

LaneDS

Another ketosis question, since my Ketostix arrived in the mail today.

Did a test, and it pretty much said that there are only trace amounts of ketones currently. I started the sub-50g thing on 3/21, or eight days ago.

A) Am I receiving any benefit to fat loss from only trace amounts?
B) Should I try to cut my carb intake even lower?
C) Is it possibly just a matter of waiting a few more days for my body to properly enter ketosis?

Would appreciate any feedback on the above.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
LaneDS said:

Did a test, and it pretty much said that there are only trace amounts of ketones currently. I started the sub-50g thing on 3/21, or eight days ago.

C) Is it possibly just a matter of waiting a few more days for my body to properly enter ketosis?

Trace ketones means two things:

you're hydrated

and

your body is using almost all of the ketones it's producing for energy so there won't be much disspelled into your urine to remove.

LaneDS

Domino Theory said:
Trace ketones means two things:

you're hydrated

and

your body is using almost all of the ketones it's producing for energy so there won't be much disspelled into your urine to remove.

So is there an ideal time to measure for ketones? Because yes, I was absolutely hydrated at the time (had gotten back from work where I'd drank plenty of water). I'd like to get a reading where it says, "yep, lots of ketones" to confirm that what I've been doing diet wise for the last eight days has been essentially working.

kehs

Banned
LaneDS said:

Please consult a licensed nutritionist of a doctor if you're going on this ketosis kick.

Copernicus said:
Please consult a licensed nutritionist of a doctor if you're going on this ketosis kick.
Why should you consult with a doctor in order to enter a natural body state?
LaneDS said:
So is there an ideal time to measure for ketones? Because yes, I was absolutely hydrated at the time (had gotten back from work where I'd drank plenty of water). I'd like to get a reading where it says, "yep, lots of ketones" to confirm that what I've been doing diet wise for the last eight days has been essentially working.
Read the bodybuilding.com link from earlier that I posted for some more info. You're only 8 days in, and it may be a combo of not using all of the ketones in your body, or other issues. That post has a ton of info in it.
ipukespiders said:
Do you recommend specific vitamin d in supplement form, or are there certain foods that are high in vitamin d?
Sunlight! But supplements are good too. Your body needs sun to synthesize vitamin D ideally though, that's how nature intended it.

OT: I made carnitas this week, twice. 2 pounds of lard, 4-5 pounds of pork. Win
http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/01/authentic-canitas-and-three-pounds-of-lard.html

ch0mp

LaneDS said:

What I think he means is: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE KETOSTIX, YOU ARE IN KETOSIS.

kehs

Banned
elrechazao said:
Why should you consult with a doctor in order to enter a natural body state?

Ketosis is a "natural" state intermittently, not as a constant diet function.

You should always consult a doctor/nutritionist when you decide to alter your eating habits drastically.

LaneDS said:

The old school Atkins diet recommends zero carbs for the first 2 weeks. After that you can go up to between 20 and 30 a day, but you want to get those mostly from low-carb veggies.

ipukespiders said:

I've never suffered from them, but I know several people who have, and they found relief by avoiding wheat (and most grains except for rice, really) and linoleic acid, and supplementing with magnesium.

Ketogenic diets may also help prevent migraines. See this post explaining the mechanism. Intermittent fasting should help, too, since when fasting you subsist on ketones made from dietary fat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:

You should always consult a doctor/nutritionist when you decide to alter your eating habits drastically.

I disagree with this. I'm all for amateur experimentation as long as it isn't life-threatening. I don't see how cutting consumption of carbohydrates can be considered dangerous.

Copernicus said:
What are you basing this on? Evolutionary biology would disagree. Do you really think the body developed the ability to run on ketone bodies, but only sometimes?

Decado

ipukespiders said:
As a suggestion, I always bbq my steaks, so no oil needed. Maybe not practical for everyone. I bbq all year round.
How do you keep them from sticking to the grill? I always rub olive oil on my steaks.

Hey, that brings up a question I've had for a long time: When you add oil (stir-fry, baking, bbqing etc.) do you count all those calories or do you assume some will be burned off through the cooking process?

kehs

Banned
elrechazao said:
What are you basing this on? Evolutionary biology would disagree. Do you really think the body developed the ability to run on ketone bodies, but only sometimes?

Using ketone for energy is a last ditch resort so as to not use the already low levels of sugars in the body.

Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism, not the primary product of it. The liver and kidneys can deal with small amounts of ketone and ketone bodies banding around your body for a limited amount of time.

Combined with the low levels of carbohydrates in the body, it's a dangerous combination. Carbohydrates needed to fully complete fat metabolism, which if not met, creates more ketone and ketone bodies in your system.

Go to your local University and find a Doctorate professor in medicine and tell them you are willingly putting yourself in a constant state of carbohydrate deficiency to achieve ketosis, and see if they'll tell you it's a good idea. (They'll make some time for you purely out of bewilderment, plus it's free)

I've had lengthly discussions with nutritionists and doctors about this during the Atkins craze. Unless you're being medically advised to go into a ketosis diet I would proceed with caution.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Copernicus said:
Using ketone for energy is a last ditch resort so as to not use the already low levels of sugars in the body.

Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism, not the primary product of it. The liver and kidneys can deal with small amounts of ketone and ketone bodies banding around your body for a limited amount of time.

Combined with the low levels of carbohydrates in the body, it's a dangerous combination. Carbohydrates needed to fully complete fat metabolism, which if not met, creates more ketone and ketone bodies in your system.

Go to your local University and find a Doctorate professor in medicine and tell them you are willingly putting yourself in a constant state of carbohydrate deficiency to achieve ketosis, and see if they'll tell you it's a good idea. (They'll make some time for you purely out of bewilderment, plus it's free)

I've had lengthly discussions with nutritionists and doctors about this during the Atkins craze. Unless you're being medically advised to go into a ketosis diet I would proceed with caution.

I'm a bit rusty on the low level mechanics, but I don't recall anything like this. Stuff like medium chain triglycerides (coconut oil, saturated fats) are so easily digestible that they don't need bile and go directly to the liver and the glycerol-3-phosphate binding the 3 fatty acids together is removed and used to make the ketone. If anything the absence of carbohydrate is needed to promote fat metabolism because carbohydrate drives insulin and insulin very strongly inhibits fat metabolism. This is especially true if the person is overweight because it's likely they are insulin resistant meaning that serum levels of insulin are extraordinarily high.

The body is quick to store blood sugar because too much blood sugar is toxic.

People can do just fine on prolonged periods of ketosis. It's how the human genome survived famines and cold winters where meat was only available.

Now ketosis + high intensity exercise I would agree is a very bad idea.

Nutritionists don't necessarily know anything about nutrition. It's a polluted field of science.

Copernicus said:

Appeal to authority isn't really convincing me, particulary given those same authorities ignorance about cholesterol, dietary fat, statin drugs, and so forth. Any controlled studies you'd like to show?

Akim

Banned
reggieandTFE said:
Congrats, what's your program?

I just eat clean. I started out with keto, but now I just eat 1850 calories a day and 200g protein. Starting Strength m/w/f, cardio t/th.

I never get new pictures taken of myself, but for some reason my sister took one of me, so I figure I'd post a progress pic. I keep coming here for motivation, so thanks guys.

Before: (just in case you don't remember)

EoJ24l.jpg

Today:

Z58rH.jpg

Akim said:
I just eat clean. I started out with keto, but now I just eat 1850 calories a day and 200g protein. Starting Strength m/w/f, cardio t/th.

I never get new pictures taken of myself, but for some reason my sister took one of me, so I figure I'd post a progress pic. I keep coming here for motivation, so thanks guys.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/EoJ24l.jpg[/IMG]

Today:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/Z58rH.jpg[/IMG]
brofist.png

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Akim said:

http://i.imgur.com/EoJ24l.jpg

Today:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z58rH.jpg[/QUOTE]

NICE!

How long did it take you?

LaneDS

elrechazao said:
Read the bodybuilding.com link from earlier that I posted for some more info. You're only 8 days in, and it may be a combo of not using all of the ketones in your body, or other issues. That post has a ton of info in it.

Just wanted to thank you more specifically for that link (as opposed to the general "thanks everyone" from the previous page). Very useful info in there. Was a little light on the Ketostix in particular which is why I posed that earlier question.

Also, totally appreciate reading everyone's arguments as to why ketosis is potentially good or bad for the body. Going to take it carefully and maybe scale back my workouts a bit since my body is clearly weaker even after ten days without the carbs it was used to. If I clearly am losing good amounts of fat after 30 days I'll continue on with it till I'm content with the fat loss and switch to a similarly low grain/low sugar diet... something closer to a paleo diet most likely.

But yeah, thanks everyone, and way to go to Akim. Best thread on GAF.

cryptic

Gaf, is it alright that I'm not binging on junk but still eating a ton of food just after work when I hardly have energy to exercise it off? Yesterday I ate about 160z of lean 96/4 ground beef with about 240 calories of swiss, in total about 240 calories. I also had some brussel sprouts and peppers and onions with that, totaling about 1000 calories. Today I ate about .8 lbs of ground beef 85:15 fat with a heaping amount of kale and a little bit of chicken with swiss and ham. I still wasn't entirely stuffed until a quick walk and a ton of water. If I don't exercise this off and just sleep as I feel pretty tired am I guaranteed to gain weight? Will my appetite decrease or is this natural as I need a lot of energy for my job?

Also, thanks for the suggestions above, I've stopped drinking soda for about two years now as i feel liquid sugar calories are the worst and I hate diet sweeteners.

Another thing, I've willed myself through an hour of really intense free weights while in a very carb deprived state where I had almost no energy, which I think my have been ketosis, why is that bad for me? I felt great afterwards.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cryptic said:
Gaf, is it alright that I'm not binging on junk but still eating a ton of food just after work when I hardly have energy to exercise it off? Yesterday I ate about 160z of lean 96/4 ground beef with about 240 calories of swiss, in total about 240 calories. I also had some brussel sprouts and peppers and onions with that, totaling about 1000 calories. Today I ate about .8 lbs of ground beef 85:15 fat with a heaping amount of kale and a little bit of chicken with swiss and ham. I still wasn't entirely stuffed until a quick walk and a ton of water. If I don't exercise this off and just sleep as I feel pretty tired am I guaranteed to gain weight? Will my appetite decrease or is this natural as I need a lot of energy for my job?

Also, thanks for the suggestions above, I've stopped drinking soda for about two years now as i feel liquid sugar calories are the worst and I hate diet sweeteners.

Another thing, I've willed myself through an hour of really intense free weights while in a very carb deprived state where I had almost no energy, which I think my have been ketosis, why is that bad for me? I felt great afterwards.

You seem to be under the delusion that you can simply cancel out meals with exercise. Not only is this a terrible state of mind to be in, since you will constantly give in and eat shit by telling yourself you can just work it off later, but it's also completely futile.

I know there are a lot of recommendations and theories out there, but I would recommend you give the first few chapters of this book a read. You don't need to read all of it, but I think it contains a lot of good information. Following some of the advice in the book I've managed to lose 30 lbs. since early February.

cryptic

Zefah said:
You seem to be under the delusion that you can simply cancel out meals with exercise. Not only is this a terrible state of mind to be in, since you will constantly give in and eat shit by telling yourself you can just work it off later, but it's also completely futile.

I know there are a lot of recommendations and theories out there, but I would recommend you give the first few chapters of this book a read. You don't need to read all of it, but I think it contains a lot of good information. Following some of the advice in the book I've managed to lose 30 lbs. since early February.

You took my wording too literally, I know I can't cancel it out but I can hopefully convert it into muscle rather than fat.
If I don't exercise, I develop feelings of guilt even though I for the most part ate only until I was filled. Should I purposely prepare a small plate of food and go into a room where I can punch the walls/myself until my mind clears of the desire to eat? I apologize if that appears facetious but I think that's what I'll have to do as the urges I get after work to eat are uncontrollable sometimes and subsist until I'm nearly stuffed.

I think this post scares me the most as I have a big appetite and now I feel like nothing I can do can hep me. I keep losing hope on beating this binge eating.

Zoe

Ugh, started an outdoors boot camp last week, but I think all the impact on the hard concrete (parking lot) is starting to take it's toll. My shins are killing me. I need new shoes :(

ch0mp

Zoe said:

muscle imbalances in the legs where the shin muscles are not conditioned to withstand pounding on hard surfaces, such as wood floors, concrete, or hard ground. The onset of shin splints is most common after exercise, caused by high-impact training, excessive training, poor technique or biomechanical problems such as pes planus (flat feet) or pronation.

Cherry picking is fun

What I meant was.. you are doing high impact exercise on a very hard surface. I don't know how fit or not you are, but that would be the most likely cause. Maybe shoes would make it worse but I think that is the biggest factor.

ch0mp said:
Cherry picking is fun

What I meant was.. you are doing high impact exercise on a very hard surface. I don't know how fit or not you are, but that would be the most likely cause. Maybe shoes would make it worse but I think that is the biggest factor.

When we got new turf in high school half of us on the football team got shin splints, you can get them on any surfaces. It was probably our shoes that we all bought for our old shitty field.

Plasmid

Seanspeed said:
If you're only eating 1200 calories a day, you dont need to be exercising. If you want to keep running for other fitness goals, you NEED to start eating more. Even burning 200-400 calories a day with an intake of 1700 calories a day is a pretty big calorie deficit for somebody who weighs 195.

Like somebody else said, cutting out sugar and other bad carbs will do you a world of good in terms of burning fat. Simply put, they raise your insulin levels rapidly, which makes your body go into 'fat storing' mode, which is of course opposite of what you want. Drinking alcohol will have the same effect, so you'll want to minimize that as well.

If you can eat more, I definitely recommend lifting weights. Cardio is good, but if you're on a calorie deficit PLUS running a lot, you're bound to be losing a lot of muscle. Lift weights at least moderately(maybe do 1/2 cardio, 1/2 lifting) and eat lots of protein(at least 100 grams a day) to maintain muscle mass, and not only will you burn more fat, but you'll also look much better as that fat comes off. Plenty of people lose a bunch of weight, but still dont ever look 'fit' as there was little muscle underneat all that fat(or they burned off what muscle they had).

If you're insistent on eating the foods you like and not lifting weights, you'll still lose weight on a calorie deficit. Its definitely better than doing nothing, and there's no shame in that. But following this advice will assuredly give you better results. Just depends on how 'into it' you want to get. Good luck!

Thank you! I read more and it motivates me a lot more, about 2 years ago i weighed 230 and was not good looking at all, i developed a sickness that prevented me from eating and constantly vomitting, lost 60 pounds the bad way, leaned up, still got a little gut, but im trying.

What're everyones recommendations? Lifting i'm guessing / running?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Plasmid said:
Thank you! I read more and it motivates me a lot more, about 2 years ago i weighed 230 and was not good looking at all, i developed a sickness that prevented me from eating and constantly vomitting, lost 60 pounds the bad way, leaned up, still got a little gut, but im trying.

What're everyones recommendations? Lifting i'm guessing / running?

In terms of exercise I favor intense weight lifting every other day for about 15 minutes:
Rest
Squats/Deadlifts
Rest
Chinups/pullups
Rest
Core/misc
Rest

The idea is to maximize an adaptive response without interference. Ie, max insulin sensitivity, increase androgen levels, minimize cortisol.

The body is not a combustion engine. It isn't controlled by 2 bit physics. The body is about biology, and in biology hormones pull the strings.

Top Bottom