• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I have this scale that gives other readings in addition to weight (bmi, how many calories you should be consuming, water retention), and it tells me I'm over 24% body fat. That # sounds terrible. Are scales like that accurate?

PotatoeMasher said:
I'm saving any photo comparisons until my weight stabilizes, but I've dropped 15 pounds (around 10% of my body weight) in exactly one month by going hardcore paleo. No grains, lots of fruit and veggies, lots of great local grass-fed beef and farm eggs. And that's with a two week trip where I had to eat out every single night.

The weight loss is almost a secondary benefit—I've had enough other improvements that I'm starting to think I had a food allergy with something in my diet before.

That doesn't sound healthy. You weighed around 150 before, and decided you needed to diet that hardcore? Are you female, if not, how tall are you?

I haven't seriously exercised for 3 months so I was expecting to have gained some of the weight I've lost. Nope. Same weight. Time to get back on track. I need to get under 200 so I can go sky diving.

All Hail C-Webb said:
I have this scale that gives other readings in addition to weight (bmi, how many calories you should be consuming, water retention), and it tells me I'm over 24% body fat. That # sounds terrible. Are scales like that accurate?
It's an estimate based on the speed of the electrical current passing through you, and your age, sex, weight, and height. So not as accurate as other methods, but useful to gauge your progress if you use the same scale at the same time of day.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
parrotbeak said:
It's an estimate based on the speed of the electrical current passing through you, and your age, sex, weight, and height. So not as accurate as other methods, but useful to gauge your progress if you use the same scale at the same time of day.

Fuck, I was hoping for something more along the lines of, "nah, they suck balls."
That puts me in the damn near obese category, and is even worse than my BMI.
I blame part of me looking overweight on excess skin, but maybe I'm just a fat fuck. :(

Clott

Always love looking into this thread for the diet debates and simply reading peoples methods. I can't say I have ever followed a strict regime when I got into shape, I don't really diet I just live the healthiest I can, I did do extremes like cutting out all drinks except water. I truly encourage people to find their own way, what helped me was the constant mentality of eating as cleanly as possible and training as hard as possible and for me that was enough.

All Hail C-Webb said:
That doesn't sound healthy. You weighed around 150 before, and decided you needed to diet that hardcore? Are you female, if not, how tall are you?

I think I screwed up my numbers. I'm around 5'8" and depending on water weight I was anywhere from 175-180 and have dropped to 160-165. The weight loss is noticeable at this point, but I still have a bit of leaning up to do.

Anyways, paleo isn't even about the weight loss for me. I'm eating and feeling better than I ever have, and it's been fun learning so much about both food and how the body works. I'll probably move to a more primal style diet eventually.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I haven't seriously exercised for 3 months so I was expecting to have gained some of the weight I've lost. Nope. Same weight. Time to get back on track. I need to get under 200 so I can go sky diving.

Don't want to be a buzz kill but you lost muscle and gained fat during those 3 months.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
PotatoeMasher said:
I think I screwed up my numbers. I'm around 5'8" and depending on water weight I was anywhere from 175-180 and have dropped to 160-165. The weight loss is noticeable at this point, but I still have a bit of leaning up to do.

Anyways, paleo isn't even about the weight loss for me. I'm eating and feeling better than I ever have, and it's been fun learning so much about both food and how the body works. I'll probably move to a more primal style diet eventually.

It's disconcerting that I could have written that post myself, yet you have a Coach Calamari avatar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Plasmid said:
been running lately, 1690 calories a day, lost a good amount of poundage. Any tips?

You've been running enough to burn 1690 calories a day, or did I read that wrong?

Seanspeed

Banned
Plasmid said:
been running lately, 1690 calories a day, lost a good amount of poundage. Any tips?
Need to know a bit more to give any specific tips. Height, weight, goals, current diet, etc.

Assuming you're not a really tall or large person, you're probably doing good. If you're over 200lbs or so, 1700 calories a day might be a bit light.

Perhaps might want to mix in some weight lifting in order to promote optimum fat loss. Every day you lose weight, your body is burning fat and muscle. Maintain your muscle and you'll know that your weight loss will primarily be coming from your fat reserves. Depends on your goals, though, I guess.

Neki

cuevas said:
Don't want to be a buzz kill but you lost muscle and gained fat during those 3 months.
buzz killington. if he can still bench and squat the same amount, then he'll be fine!

I'm having an issue currently with my weight loss and was wondering if I could get some input.

In a little less than 9 months I lost 68 pounds (251 to 183), and while most of my body has a nice shape to it, my belly and love handles persist. Due to these fatty areas my body has a slightly odd look to it, and it's really causing me a lot of stress.

I've been keeping up my exercise and healthy eating, but these trouble areas show no signs of progress.

Is there anything I can do?

agentxricky

Neo Member
Graffgor said:
I'm having an issue currently with my weight loss and was wondering if I could get some input.

In a little less than 9 months I lost 68 pounds (251 to 183), and while most of my body has a nice shape to it, my belly and love handles persist. Due to these fatty areas my body has a slightly odd look to it, and it's really causing me a lot of stress.

I've been keeping up my exercise and healthy eating, but these trouble areas show no signs of progress.

Fat around the torso is typically the very last area to be lost. You probably could stand to lose a few more pounds before you see those areas losing fat. Just keep up with the diet and you should be cherry.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Graffgor said:

those areas take ages to get rid of. I dropped from 210 to around 165 and am currently around 158. It has taken me almost the same amount of time to get from 165 to 158 and see some progress in those areas as it did to go from 210 to 165.

cryptic

Gaf, the paleo diet isn't working for me. I'm always tired and always craving things that I shouldn't weeks after starting.I think breads are fine, lost weight eating them, and so do many others. Most importantly they provided energy that I no longer have. It feels great to remove these limitations and enjoy life again.

cryptic said:
Gaf, the paleo diet isn't working for me. I'm always tired and always craving things that I shouldn't weeks after starting.I think breads are fine, lost weight eating them, and so do many others. Most importantly they provided energy that I no longer have. It feels great to remove these limitations and enjoy life again.
sounds like you aren't eating enough fat, or food in general. It's hard to get used to "hey, I CAN eat 6 eggs for breakfast cooked with butter".

LaneDS

All Hail C-Webb said:
Fuck, I was hoping for something more along the lines of, "nah, they suck balls."
That puts me in the damn near obese category, and is even worse than my BMI.
I blame part of me looking overweight on excess skin, but maybe I'm just a fat fuck. :(

Well, I think (and this is based on personal experience and what I've read) that some of them are total shit. Without knowing which model you have, I can't really say. I do know that when I was 240 lbs my scale said I was 28% body fat, and now at 190lbs and clearly much more muscular it STILL says 28% body fat. So my scale is either full of shit or I have the most awesome, muscle-shaped fat ever.

Short version... I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Check your measurements and just take a visual assessment of your fat loss. It should be pretty easy to tell if you're losing it or not I'd say.

Clipjoint

Might as well check in here as well.

One month ago:
26 years old
5'4"
205 lbs
38 waist

I've been heavy pretty much my whole life, and it has always made me miserable. I've gone up and down at various times - my highest being 225 and lowest being 160. My biggest problem is lack of working out. I don't eat horribly, but I get very little physical activity. Lately I've been getting pretty bad back pain and I have mild sleep apnea. I finally decided it was time to lose weight for good, so I started a low carb diet. In the last month I've lost about 12 lbs.

Generally, during the week I'll just have some coffee for breakfast (eggs on the weekend). For lunch I have some salad, or soup. If I want to treat myself once a week I'll have a chicken burrito bowl from Chipotle with no rice/no beans. For dinner it's usually some type of meat (chicken or beef, occasionally fish) and vegetables. A couple times a day I'll snack on some almonds, 3 times a week I'll have some Carlsons Fish Oil, and after dinner I always have some green tea. My worst vice is diet soda - but it's the only thing that keeps me sane during this diet.

I've been feeling better lately, but I'm not losing weight as quickly as I would like (which I'm sure is because of the lack of activity). I'm just trying to get down under 190 so I can work out without feeling miserable afterwards.

I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks, where I'll probably break my diet. When I get back though, I'm planning on starting again hardcore, and finally going to the gym or working out at home. The important thing is, I'm finally in the right mental state where I feel like I can make a lifestyle change, instead of just dieting for a few months and then going back to bad habits.

I'll probably check back in after I've made more progress, but I'm really looking forward to feeling like a normal human being for the first time in my life. It's going to be a long hard road but I'm committed to getting there.

cryptic

elrechazao said:
sounds like you aren't eating enough fat, or food in general. It's hard to get used to "hey, I CAN eat 6 eggs for breakfast cooked with butter".
Why would want to eat like that?

Yesterday ate 16 oz. of steak, two eggs, and a slice of ham,no change.

NomarTyme

cryptic said:
Why would want to eat like that?

Yesterday ate 16 oz. of steak, two eggs, and a slice of ham,no change.
Are you eating any carbs?

Domino Theory said:
Low saturated fat intake increases risk of stroke: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...ntake-associated-with-higher-stroke-mortality

The USDA needs to get its head out of its ass and reverse all the bullshit they've fed us.

(And for anyone who hasn't already, watch Fat Head and Food Matters, both of which are on Netflix Instant)
Its really hard to change thing in the government.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Domino Theory said:
Low saturated fat intake increases risk of stroke: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...ntake-associated-with-higher-stroke-mortality

The USDA needs to get its head out of its ass and reverse all the bullshit they've fed us.

(And for anyone who hasn't already, watch Fat Head and Food Matters, both of which are on Netflix Instant)

The USDA knows what they're doing. They are simply choosing to ignore all criticism and scientific evidence because they want to keep getting money bags from special interests.

A lot of people think that they don't have influence, but they have ridiculous influence. From school lunches, to standards by which doctors can be sued for malpractice, to getting otherwise well intentioned health conscious people to parrot their lies, it has worked. After you understand what really is healthy and what isn't, you become keen on how much their dietary advice comes up in real life. Constant references to heart disease being caused by butter, lard, and constant references about grains being healthy when you aren't even looking for dietary information. Like my tag says, it's like Brawndo at this point.

It's really something that should be a huge bipartisan issue to everyone. A handful of people and their political "contributers" are costing the United States hundreds of billions of USD in productivity per year from health care costs, reduced energy/health, and reduced lifespan.

jts

...hate me...
Couldn't ignore all the recommendations, watched Food Matters last night. Great stuff.

Need to buy a good multivitamin ASAP!

Seanspeed

Banned
elrechazao said:
Not sure what you're saying. Why wouldn't you want to eat lots of good healthy food?
6 eggs doesn't sound appetizing for some of us....

I like eggs, but in moderation, like most things.

Nobody NEEDS to eat a paleo diet. You can lose weight just fine including grains in your diet. If you're not happy and not feeling good, then eat some fuckin bread if its what you're craving. Find a diet that you can actually live with, long-term. I love having some multigrain toast or a multigrain English Muffin along with my bacon and eggs. So good. Or oatmeal. Love me some oatmeal.

Clipjoint said:
Generally, during the week I'll just have some coffee for breakfast (eggs on the weekend).
You should really eat something for breakfast.

Ripclawe

Banned
so I went all in on a whole grain diet(Brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti, quaker oats oatmeal every day..etc..etc) and I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. I still eat my value junk food(snack wrap here, a mcdouble there) but I am kinda stunned...

Ripclawe said:
so I went all in on a whole grain diet(Brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti, quaker oats oatmeal every day..etc..etc) and I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. I still eat my value junk food(snack wrap here, a mcdouble there) but I am kinda stunned...
cutting out the junk in favor of less junky is always good

teh_pwn

Ripclawe said:

Some people do fine on whole grains. My main contention with the USDA and the idea of fat loss using their advice is that a significant percentage of the population appears to react negatively to grains due to phytates, gluten, and lectins. There really hasn't been any science to establish that grains are healthy, the USDA just decided to perform a society wide study on America starting in 1977.

Also I wouldn't conclude that you've lost weight just yet. Just like people starting Atkins that lose 5 pounds of water weight because lower insulin reduces the amount of salt the kidneys retain (and thus water), switching to a diet that's very high in insoluble fiber will remove about 5 pounds of fecal matter from the body. Whole wheat spaghetti practically gave me diarrhea back in 2005 when it was part of my diet. It's like 25 grams of insoluble fiber or more per meal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ripclawe said:

Good lord, that sounds like an awful diet.

kehs

Banned
Domino Theory said:

What are you talking about? The USDA doesn't encourage a diet with an absences or low saturated fats.

It wouldn't surprise me if those results are mainly from vegan idiots and their idiotic diets.

Copernicus said:
What are you talking about? The USDA doesn't encourage a diet with an absences or low saturated fats.

It wouldn't surprise me if those results are mainly from vegan idiots and their idiotic diets.

Umm, what are you talking about?

http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources/DGfactsheet_cholesterol.pdf
"LIMIT SATURATED FAT AND CHOLESTEROL"

http://www.mypyramid.gov/guidelines/
What is a "Healthy Diet"?
The Dietary Guidelines describe a healthy diet as one that

* Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products;
* Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts; and
* Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.

http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/consumerinformation/ucm078889.htm
Limit these Nutrients. Eating too much fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, or sodium may increase your risk of certain chronic diseases, like heart disease, some cancers, or high blood pressure.

Important: Health experts recommend that you keep your intake of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol as low as possible as part of a nutritionally balanced diet.

teh_pwn

Copernicus said:

What is a "Healthy Diet"?
The Dietary Guidelines describe a healthy diet as one that
Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products;
Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts; and
Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.

Edit: Damn I can't believe we quoted the same exact thing. But seriously where have you been Copernicus? The USDA has been railing against saturated fats for decades. They claim they cause cancer, diabetes, heart disease, to even running over your dog. With 0 evidence.

What's hypocritical is that the Mediterranean diet, the poster child of the USDA, not only contains more saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt than what the USDA recommends, but also more than what Americans currently consume. The French have very low rates of disease, and use stuff like butter and animal fats. The Italians use lots of salted/cured meat.

The USDA is full of shit they created this to explain the French:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Paradox

In science there is no such thing as a paradox. It means you're wrong.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
jts said:
Couldn't ignore all the recommendations, watched Food Matters last night. Great stuff.

I'm watching it right now, and the documentary is really pushing vitamins. Are they suggesting that people take multivitamin pills? I've heard a lot of stuff about how vitamin supplement pills either have very little effect or can actually be harmful. I guess this is bullshit? Maybe they will explain it later, but is there a certain type of multivitamin that is recommended?

kehs

Banned
teh_pwn said:

Edit: Damn I can't believe we quoted the same exact thing. But seriously where have you been Copernicus? The USDA has been railing against saturated fats for decades. They claim they cause cancer, diabetes, heart disease, to even running over your dog. With 0 evidence.

What's hypocritical is that the Mediterranean diet, the poster child of the USDA, not only contains more saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt than what the USDA recommends, but also more than what Americans currently consume. The French have very low rates of disease, and use stuff like butter and animal fats. The Italians use lots of salted/cured meat.

The USDA is full of shit they created this to explain the French:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Paradox

In science there is no such thing as a paradox. It means you're wrong.

wtf, I've apparently cross some wires in my brain.

My bad.

I cannot find any mayo that doesn't have soybean oil in it. I also looked for dressing today but it all had soybean oil or canola oil in it. Guess I have to go to a health food store? Anyone have any brand recommendations or where I could find these mythical mayos and dressings (I really want a blue cheese).

teh_pwn

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I cannot find any mayo that doesn't have soybean oil in it. I also looked for dressing today but it all had soybean oil or canola oil in it. Guess I have to go to a health food store? Anyone have any brand recommendations or where I could find these mythical mayos and dressings (I really want a blue cheese).

I never found any. You'll probably have to make it yourself.

It's really hard to find because they all say "real" or "made with eggs, vinegar, etc". Like this one:
http://www.hellmanns.us/products/real_mayo.aspx

Actual ingredients? Soybeans:
http://www.hellmanns.com/products/nutritional_info/NutritionInfo.aspx?ProdId=HELLMANNSREAL

It's so much bullshit it's not worth the effort.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Awesome! The fact that it only stays fresh for one week would explain why you can't buy real mayo at Target!
Yeah, dem preservatives and bad (but good for long term storage) oils. Try this one though, I find it to be pretty awesome.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zefah said:
I'm watching it right now, and the documentary is really pushing vitamins. Are they suggesting that people take multivitamin pills? I've heard a lot of stuff about how vitamin supplement pills either have very little effect or can actually be harmful. I guess this is bullshit? Maybe they will explain it later, but is there a certain type of multivitamin that is recommended?

Not really pushing you to take so many vitamins, they're just saying that people shouldn't be afraid to take them. Vitamins are natural minerals that are on our planet and are something our bodies fully recognize.

Not prozac, zoloft, statins and all these other chemically made garbage.

They even said in the documentary that 3000mg of Niacin helps suicidal behavoir, depression, mood, etc. We always hear people say "oh no I would never take that much of a natural mineral, I'll just take whatever garbage my doctor prescribes me that's made from hundreds of artifical and dangerous ingredients."

It's so weird to think that I used to be like that, too. Makes me feel so stupid when I see it in context and apply some common sense.

Every time I get a headache (which is rare ever since I started taking 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 every day a few months ago and still do), I just put a sublingual Vitamin B12 + Folic Acid tablet underneath my tongue and it helps my headache faster than any aspirin since they're both blood thinners. Only one is natural and safer to use.

jts said:

Nature Made and Rainbow Light make good multi-vitamins.

Just make sure that it has the "USP" label on it because that indicates that the manufacturer of the multi-vitamin had the product sent to a third party to test it and see if what they say is in the tablet is actually in the tablet and is optimally absorbable. :)

Top Bottom