• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Rookje

TheGoldenGunman said:
Interesting story, because I'm experiencing exactly the same thing! The thing is that it is actually impossible to lose the skin in certain places on your body after massive weight loss, because of the "stretch" effect caused on your skin. I myself lost 25KG, and noticed that I too still had excess skin around my stomach. So I gunned it really hard, managing to lose another 5KG, whilst at the same time taking on a ridiculous stomach crunching regime. I then found that my stomach was as hard as rock, but that I still had puppy fat around the lower part of my belly (although the top part looked great). This left me in a dilemna as losing any more weight would effectively make me look like a marathon runner, which is not the look I was working so hard for!

I actually visited a Doctor about this and he confirmed the following for me. Unfortunately, your skin does't actually "retract." Once it has been stretched past a certain point, that's how it will stay. This is a common problem amongst women that give birth, particularly if they have twins / triplets. Their stomachs stretch like crazy because of the the children they are carrying, but after giving birth, their stomachs won't retract, creating a "saggy" look. Unfortunately this exact same thing can happen to anyone who loses a *lot* of weight after being overweight / clinically obese, because skin is not "elastic" and won't just spring back to it's original state. It's not just confined to the stomach are either, it can be noticeable around the breasts / hips and even around the face, dependant on how much weight one loses.

The only solution is to have the excess loose skin removed. For the stomach area, you would require a "tummy tuck," otherwise known as Abdominoplasty. Such operations are expensive, but will result in the effect you are looking for.

I'm actually pretty sure I am going to have such an operation myself. I'm sure it sounds really vain and like a waste of money, but after managing to lose so much weight, it's disapointing to end up with saggy skin, and it does make me feel rather image concious when I'm swimming, or on the beach. However, I guess it depends on the individual at hand as to what action, if any, one decides to take.
Thanks for your post, sounds similar to me.

I'm considering the tummy tuck, but I'm gonna go at it some more. I'm going to bulk in Aug or Sept and see if I like how I look then. I'm mostly concerned about the scar and recovery time (1-2 weeks off work?), what do you think? I know I shouldn't care what others think, but a guy in his 20s having a tummy tuck does sound kinda odd. I just really despise the fact that people who are more overweight than I look better... in the midsection especially.

Let me know how your tummy tuck goes if you do get one! (via PM or whatever)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Low fat dairy + sugar can raise insulin and IGF-1 like a motherfucker, but whole dairy - especially the fermented kind - is tolerated very well by some populations. Take the Maasai for instance. For a while all they ate was cow & dairy. Extremely thin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai_people

Then again they could be starving or something.

Also consider that insulin isn't a static force. It fluctuates rapidly in healthy people. Japanese eat mad rice and there are lots of cultures that eat starchy tubers. They get an insulin response, but their insulin must be lowering fairly quickly after eating.

The real question is what are all of the forces that drive insulin resistance and break down satiety. The more I learned previously the more I realized the answers aren't there yet. Sure fructose is definitely a factor, but there are probably several others. I still think the idea that people overeat because they overeat is batshit insane in terms of an explanation. Are people just spontaneously deciding to overeat in the 1970s in America? If it was due to prosperity, why does America continue to be the fattest while countries with GDP per capita greater than ours continue to be in the single digits in terms of obesity prevalence?
It's like saying people fuck because they fuck, so god dammit kids stop fucking and using condoms as an excuse. Gets about the same results as teen abstinence programs.

Rookje

teh_pwn said:
Low fat dairy + sugar can raise insulin and IGF-1 like a motherfucker, but whole dairy - especially the fermented kind - is tolerated very well by some populations. Take the Maasai for instance. For a while all they ate was cow & dairy. Extremely thin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai_people

Then again they could be starving or something.

Also consider that insulin isn't a static force. It fluctuates rapidly in healthy people. Japanese eat mad rice and there are lots of cultures that eat starchy tubers. They get an insulin response, but their insulin must be lowering fairly quickly after eating.

The real question is what are all of the forces that drive insulin resistance and break down satiety. The more I learned previously the more I realized the answers aren't there yet. Sure fructose is definitely a factor, but there are probably several others. I still think the idea that people overeat because they overeat is batshit insane in terms of an explanation. Are people just spontaneously deciding to overeat in the 1970s in America? If it was due to prosperity, why does America continue to be the fattest while countries with GDP per capita greater than ours continue to be in the single digits in terms of obesity prevalence?
It's like saying people fuck because they fuck, so god dammit kids stop fucking and using condoms as an excuse. Gets about the same results as teen abstinence programs.
Yea, also think about what cattle is producing that milk. Likely grain-fed, poorly treated cattle.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Still struggling to maintain a diet and not really succeeding. My opinion on my body keeps fluctuating but in the end I just turn out to be disappointed and ashamed for wasting a day on ruining my diet. My willpower sucks, so I honestly don't know what to rely on anymore.

It's not even that I'm obese; slightly overweight tops. I just want to diet but it never happens. How can I stop thinking about food when home? It's all about those cravings.

Rookje

Dr Eggman said:
Still struggling to maintain a diet and not really succeeding. My opinion on my body keeps fluctuating but in the end I just turn out to be disappointed and ashamed for wasting a day on ruining my diet. My willpower sucks, so I honestly don't know what to rely on anymore.

It's not even that I'm obese; slightly overweight tops. I just want to diet but it never happens. How can I stop thinking about food when home? It's all about those cravings.
What is the diet you're trying to do? And what do you usually eat, and what are you craving?

Rotsu

Neo Member
Rookje said:

I'm considering the tummy tuck, but I'm gonna go at it some more. I'm going to bulk in Aug or Sept and see if I like how I look then. I'm mostly concerned about the scar and recovery time (1-2 weeks off work?), what do you think? I know I shouldn't care what others think, but a guy in his 20s having a tummy tuck does sound kinda odd. I just really despise the fact that people who are more overweight than I look better... in the midsection especially.

Actually that's not true. The skin is it fact elastic. But it become less elastic the more you age. And to avoid this is rather simple and straight forward. You need to exercise your whole body while losing weight, and give time for the skin to re-shape/repair itself. Don't lose too much weight in a short time. It's very difficult to do, but it's doable. You will need a lot of tuning to your upper body and back to reshape your abs.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NomarTyme said:
Drop the cheese, whey, seeds, and decrease your chicken consumption. Eat the whole egg, eat more red meat and fish. What exactly do you do in the gym? also you seem like a very active person and you need to eat more if you're do that much stuff. Do you get enough sleep too?

Thanks I'll look into that. I do heavy lifting in the gym, regular core strength training, bench/squats/deadlifts ( when my back allows ). I do get more sleep than I need probably right now I'm averaging 8.5-9h sleep per day.

Xelinis said:
Your protein-to-fat ratio is not where it should be. A proper ketogenic diet is 65% fat and 35% protein to optimize ketone production. Dietary fat will also keep you fuller for longer, especially saturated fat. Drop the whey and casein, only have the seeds if you're hungry (almonds are better though, especially raw ones). Eat your egg yolks and swap the chicken breast for thighs (better macros for this diet + cheaper + tastier).

Again thanks, I'll see to it that some changes will be made and hopefully spark a reignition of the burning.

Rookje said:

Ha, your comment about being a guy in your 20's but getting a tummy tuck is exactly what went through my mind too, because on the face of it, it does sound kinda crazy.

I too thought about bulking up and getting round the remaining fat that way, but I'm not convinced it would make much of a change, because ultimately that excess skin is there as a result of being much, much bigger. So unless you went back up to that weight again (albeit, through muscle, not fat), I don't think the problem would be solved. And good luck trying to gain 10+ KG of muscle! However, I would still be really interested to know the results of your efforts.

As for me, I have now decided to go through with the operation. I went to 3 different consultancies to ask about the operation, and interestingly all 3 said the same thing. All 3 said that I was an ideal candidate for the operation because of the loose skin I have around my stomach, and because I had lost the weight naturally and not through surgery or other means. They also said that at first they thought I was joking about asking for the operation because when wearing a shirt / top, you would have no idea that I have the loose skin (this is the advantage of wearing black, lol). However, when I took my shirt off, they immediately noticed the problem and understood why I was interested in the surgery.

In terms of the scar, that goes below your stomach, so it won't really be noticeable, so that's not such a worry. As you say, you are supposed to take time off work, but seeing as I have an office job which generally involves me sitting on my ass all day long, I'm going to risk not taking the time off. However, if I end up in complete agony, I guess I'll have to pull a few sick days!

Anyway, I'll update you about how my op goes (although probably through PM) after I have the surgery. One of the great things about this thread is hearing other people's stories and the trials and tribulations they have been through. I think we all root for one another in this thread, so I'm only too happy to pass on what I am going through ;).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Rookje said:
What is the diet you're trying to do? And what do you usually eat, and what are you craving?
Just eat less is my diet for now. Don't eat any junk food when I'm craving it. I usually eat around 1 with a nicely cooked meal but then go crazy around the evening where I eat any junk food that's around. Removing junk food is an option obviously but it usually ends up being in my mouth, wherever I am.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr Eggman said:
Just eat less is my diet for now. Don't eat any junk food when I'm craving it. I usually eat around 1 with a nicely cooked meal but then go crazy around the evening where I eat any junk food that's around. Removing junk food is an option obviously but it usually ends up being in my mouth, wherever I am.

I've tried the whole "eat less, move more" thing a few times, but it never worked and it's so easy to eat crap that you shouldn't be eating. I highly doubt you will find any success with it, and you'll actually probably end up gaining wait since you'll be prone to gorging junk after a few meals of eating less than your body wants.

You really should look into a lifestyle change, define some guidelines and stick to them. Lots of diets exist, but I'd recommend looking into some of the low-carb/high-protein and fat diets like paleo and others. The key is that it really needs to be a lifestyle change, and not just something you push yourself through and stop.

NomarTyme

Corky said:
Thanks I'll look into that. I do heavy lifting in the gym, regular core strength training, bench/squats/deadlifts ( when my back allows ). I do get more sleep than I need probably right now I'm averaging 8.5-9h sleep per day.

Again thanks, I'll see to it that some changes will be made and hopefully spark a reignition of the burning.
Lifting heavy things is good but you need to let your body recover first and foremost. Going to the gym 3-4 a week is a lot, maybe go to the gym 2 times a week and see what happens. You're getting good amount of sleep so I don't that as a cortisol riser. Also if you're looking to replace your glycogen after lifting weights, I would suggest roots and tubers like sweet potatoes/yams/taro.

Looking to try to start an exercise routine/schedule.

I know I'm out of shape and feel like I'm going to look like an idiot when exercising. Anyone ever felt the same?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
opticalmace said:
Looking to try to start an exercise routine/schedule.

I know I'm out of shape and feel like I'm going to look like an idiot when exercising. Anyone ever felt the same?

First don't think that way that is a sure fire way that you will avoid working out outside or in a gym. I usually do not care who looks at me or how they feel since i paid for my gym membership. So don't think because you are overweight that limits you from going anywhere, to hell with others if they think you look like an idiot, they are not the ones helping you, just ignore them.

I got married on may 7th, and had a hell of a week of heavy food. I've been fat for a long long time and weighed myself today -240lbs, and I'm only 5'5. I've been wasting a gym membership for months now and haven't even lifted a finger to try to exercise.

Today I wanted to try to stop that and get active again, so I'm trying to eat smaller portions, I went to the gym today and did 30 min of arm weight exercises and walked 2.0 miles on the treadmill in 30 min on 5.0 speed. Tomorrow I am going back and working on my stomach and legs and treadmill again, and then middle of the week a walk through the neighborhood.

I have a water jug "your daily water intake" size, and I drank that entirely as I haven't been drinking water anywhere near what I am supposed to, having seemingly replaced it with iced tea, coke zero, red bull lite, and monster energy.

I also installed Noom for android and will try to work with it. I feel bombarded with information about the right diets, exercise etc, so I dont know where to go from here, but I've been reading this thread and the P90X thread for a good couple of years and I applaud you guys for working hard and changing yourselves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RoryDropkick said:
I got married on may 7th, and had a hell of a week of heavy food. I've been fat for a long long time and weighed myself today -240lbs, and I'm only 5'5. I've been wasting a gym membership for months now and haven't even lifted a finger to try to exercise.

Today I wanted to try to stop that and get active again, so I'm trying to eat smaller portions, I went to the gym today and did 30 min of arm weight exercises and walked 2.0 miles on the treadmill in 30 min on 5.0 speed. Tomorrow I am going back and working on my stomach and legs and treadmill again, and then middle of the week a walk through the neighborhood.

I have a water jug "your daily water intake" size, and I drank that entirely as I haven't been drinking water anywhere near what I am supposed to, having seemingly replaced it with iced tea, coke zero, red bull lite, and monster energy.

I also installed Noom for android and will try to work with it. I feel bombarded with information about the right diets, exercise etc, so I dont know where to go from here, but I've been reading this thread and the P90X thread for a good couple of years and I applaud you guys for working hard and changing yourselves.

You can walk at a 5.0 speed on a treadmill and you're 5'5"? 5.0 should be jogging, and it's very surprising that you were able to sustain that speed for 30 minutes at your height and weight after neglecting cardio exercise for a long time.

Anyway, it seems to me like you're trying to tackle your obesity with exercise, and I think that's the wrong way to go. Exercise is important for your health, but it's got to be all about diet. The first thing I would do, if you haven't done so already, would be to never drink any of those beverages you listed ever again (unless your iced tea was completely unsweetened, which I highly doubt).

Zefah said:
You can walk at a 5.0 speed on a treadmill and you're 5'5"? 5.0 should be jogging, and it's very surprising that you were able to sustain that speed for 30 minutes at your height and weight after neglecting cardio exercise for a long time.

Anyway, it seems to me like you're trying to tackle your obesity with exercise, and I think that's the wrong way to go. Exercise is important for your health, but it's got to be all about diet. The first thing I would do, if you haven't done so already, would be to never drink any of those beverages you listed ever again (unless your iced tea was completely unsweetened, which I highly doubt).

Oops, I see what I did, no I did it on 3.0 to 3.5 on no incline, sorry about that.

And this is why I posted here, I do want to see multiple points of views, condescending tone aside.

RoryDropkick said:
Oops, I see what I did, no I did it on 3.0 to 3.5 on no incline, sorry about that.

And this is why I posted here, I do want to see multiple points of views, condescending tone aside.
Cut the worst things from your diet - sugar, white flour, liquid carb sources of all kinds, etc. Exercise is good, but weight loss is 80+% going to be based on what you put in your body. And keep in mind, it's not necessarily about how much you put in it, but what.

elrechazao said:
Cut the worst things from your diet - sugar, white flour, liquid carb sources of all kinds, etc. Exercise is good, but weight loss is 80+% going to be based on what you put in your body. And keep in mind, it's not necessarily about how much you put in it, but what.

I really am sort of regretting asking for the fancy Zojirushi rice cooker for our wedding.. I had a bowl of congee this morning with a side of kimchee. *sigh* I really REALLY like rice, but do I need to cut it completely, or switch to brown if I am to eat it at all? This is where I get a bit unsure because I know a lot of people have different views on it.

Sugar as a whole, I dont eat a lot of candy or things like that, but I do eat a fruit cup every day. It's not a prepackaged fruit cup however, just fresh fruit but I know that can add up.

RoryDropkick said:
I really am sort of regretting asking for the fancy Zojirushi rice cooker for our wedding.. I had a bowl of congee this morning with a side of kimchee. *sigh* I really REALLY like rice, but do I need to cut it completely, or switch to brown if I am to eat it at all? This is where I get a bit unsure because I know a lot of people have different views on it.

Sugar as a whole, I dont eat a lot of candy or things like that, but I do eat a fruit cup every day. It's not a prepackaged fruit cup however, just fresh fruit but I know that can add up.
I hesitate to give advice as an absolute. For me, cutting out all carbohyrdates works wonders for weight loss. But it's all about what you can sustain and what works for you. If you can't live without rice, then slide down the continuum of wild rice > brown rice > white rice, and get your fix there. Whole fruit is better than canned in syrup fruit is better than fruit juice, but for some of us, even (certain types) of whole fruit aren't good, like bananas with all of their sugar.

The science however, says the more carbohydrates in your diet will cause insulin levels to rise, causing your body to store fat. Each body's response to this biological fact is different however, so find out what works for you.

elrechazao said:
I hesitate to give advice as an absolute. For me, cutting out all carbohyrdates works wonders for weight loss. But it's all about what you can sustain and what works for you. If you can't live without rice, then slide down the continuum of wild rice > brown rice > white rice, and get your fix there. Whole fruit is better than canned in syrup fruit is better than fruit juice, but for some of us, even (certain types) of whole fruit aren't good, like bananas with all of their sugar.

The science however, says the more carbohydrates in your diet will cause insulin levels to rise, causing your body to store fat. Each body's response to this biological fact is different however, so find out what works for you.

Thank you for that, I appreciate the advice. I can easily switch to brown rice, that is not a problem, I need to train myself to not eat so MUCH of it, that's where I get stupid. As for the fruit, I definitely hate the syrupy crap and prefer fresh fruit, although I always thought bananas were good, but I guess it depends on the type of diet. I am a big tea drinker, but I use agave to sweeten it and it's generally hot tea, if it's iced,it's either iced green tea packs which is 10 calories or iced tea with sweet and low, 2 packs.

I tried atkins back in 2000, while it worked, I didn't stick with it, and it's my understanding that in 11 years time there has been a lot of changes?

RoryDropkick said:
Thank you for that, I appreciate the advice. I can easily switch to brown rice, that is not a problem, I need to train myself to not eat so MUCH of it, that's where I get stupid. As for the fruit, I definitely hate the syrupy crap and prefer fresh fruit, although I always thought bananas were good, but I guess it depends on the type of diet. I am a big tea drinker, but I use agave to sweeten it and it's generally hot tea, if it's iced,it's either iced green tea packs which is 10 calories or iced tea with sweet and low, 2 packs.

I tried atkins back in 2000, while it worked, I didn't stick with it, and it's my understanding that in 11 years time there has been a lot of changes?
I don't know anything about atkins personally. I tend to follow a paleo lifestyle, not a specific diet.

elrechazao said:
I don't know anything about atkins personally. I tend to follow a paleo lifestyle, not a specific diet.

And that's another direction I keep hearing on this thread with its supporters and naysayers. What's your view on it?

RoryDropkick said:
And that's another direction I keep hearing on this thread with its supporters and naysayers. What's your view on it?
Since I strive to follow it, I'd say I am in favor of it :)

When I live by it, I feel great, drop massive amounts of weight, and enjoy life more. So I say go for it. Read the primal blueprint by mark sisson if you'd like more info, or check http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/

ch0mp

As above, cut out sugar, flour, grains etc. Not too much fruit - I'll have 3-4 pieces a week as a snack.

elrechazao said:

Atkins (the original one anyway, without all the processed garbage)/paleo not a huge difference. Both focus on meat, eggs, fish, vegies, greens etc.

So I started whole30 yesterday, mostly because of carb creep. Was getting quite slack about it. Should be fun.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
I've tried the whole "eat less, move more" thing a few times, but it never worked and it's so easy to eat crap that you shouldn't be eating. I highly doubt you will find any success with it, and you'll actually probably end up gaining wait since you'll be prone to gorging junk after a few meals of eating less than your body wants.

You really should look into a lifestyle change, define some guidelines and stick to them. Lots of diets exist, but I'd recommend looking into some of the low-carb/high-protein and fat diets like paleo and others. The key is that it really needs to be a lifestyle change, and not just something you push yourself through and stop.
Sounds good. Any specific diets you would recommend?

ch0mp said:
As above, cut out sugar, flour, grains etc. Not too much fruit - I'll have 3-4 pieces a week as a snack.

Atkins (the original one anyway, without all the processed garbage)/paleo not a huge difference. Both focus on meat, eggs, fish, vegies, greens etc.

So I started whole30 yesterday, mostly because of carb creep. Was getting quite slack about it. Should be fun.
Well, I should say I know what it is conceptually, just not the specifics of what atkins says vs what the zone says vs whatever else is out there as a "set" diet.

elrechazao said:
Since I strive to follow it, I'd say I am in favor of it :)

When I live by it, I feel great, drop massive amounts of weight, and enjoy life more. So I say go for it. Read the primal blueprint by mark sisson if you'd like more info, or check http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/

Thank you very much, I'll have a look.

As immature as it sounds I just hate being told that exercising is a "wrong" way to approach it.. while I read the entire sentence and understand that it's not the entire way to lose weight, it just feels frustrating to be told I'm doing it wrong.

RoryDropkick said:
Thank you very much, I'll have a look.

As immature as it sounds I just hate being told that exercising is a "wrong" way to approach it.. while I read the entire sentence and understand that it's not the entire way to lose weight, it just feels frustrating to be told I'm doing it wrong.
Exercise is never "wrong", it's just not the primary way to lose weight. Doesn't mean it's not great for you, fun, rewarding, and worthwhile.

So day one of being a mainly fruit and vegetable based diet, and I feel hungry all of the damn time. I've been trying to suppress it with water, but damn is it annoying. Also, at what point during the day is best to workout? and how much should I eat after working out?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RoryDropkick said:

Sorry about the condescending tone. I didn't intend it while typing it out, but it certainly reads that way...

Anyway, I'm more or less following a diet similar to elrechazao and the paleo diet. I've never read Mark Sisson's book, but I consume little to no carbs on most days, and eat a lot of meat, eggs, fish, and some veggies. I also do resistance training in the form of squats (no weights) and wall presses, as well as very infrequent sessions of Tabata Sprints.

So far I'm down to 180lbs. from 220lbs. starting in February. I've gained a lot of muscle in that time as well, so the actual change in appearance is quite dramatic.

Emperor Bohe said:
So day one of being a mainly fruit and vegetable based diet, and I feel hungry all of the damn time. I've been trying to suppress it with water, but damn is it annoying. Also, at what point during the day is best to workout? and how much should I eat after working out?

That sounds like a terribly difficult diet, and I'd be suspect of its effects on your health.

Eat a steak or some eggs or something. If you get enough fat and protein in your diet, you won't feel hungry after a meal.

Xelinis

Emperor Bohe said:

I reiterate.

Xelinis said:
That sounds like it could be a very low calorie diet that will leave you feeling tired and hungry most of the time. Many of us on here are advocates of low-carb dieting. If that's something you'd be interested in, the first thing I recommend you do is check out this film: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head.

elwes

I posted in this thread awhile ago with plans to do P90x, but those plans never came to fruition. I tried for a few weeks, but I felt I was not in shape enough to do the program.

I've recently decided that I needed to stop allowing myself to be unhealthy and even if the improvements that I make are small, at least I'm making them.

I'm in the process of quitting smoking, which I feel is the biggest roadblock to losing weight. I get winded so easily that there is no point to exercising. I'm a week in quitting cold turkey and doing pretty good. Next step is to stop eating out so much. Step after that is finding a gym. I'm tired of feeling like shit.

elwes said:
I'm in the process of quitting smoking, which I feel is the biggest roadblock to losing weight. I get winded so easily that there is no point to exercising. I'm a week in quitting cold turkey and doing pretty good. Next step is to stop eating out so much. Step after that is finding a gym. I'm tired of feeling like shit.

Do you have some sort of means to substitute for smoking if you need it? You know, like do you keep a pack of gum handy or (my vice) a bunch of those little plastic stirry straws, or have you looked at the e-cigs?

Zefah said:
Sorry about the condescending tone. I didn't intend it while typing it out, but it certainly reads that way...

No worries, I appreciate the clarification.

Anyway, I'm more or less following a diet similar to elrechazao and the paleo diet. I've never read Mark Sisson's book, but I consume little to no carbs on most days, and eat a lot of meat, eggs, fish, and some veggies. I also do resistance training in the form of squats (no weights) and wall presses, as well as very infrequent sessions of Tabata Sprints.

So far I'm down to 180lbs. from 220lbs. starting in February. I've gained a lot of muscle in that time as well, so the actual change in appearance is quite dramatic

Fortunately everything you are eating are things I can easily eat as well, I dont have any aversions to anything in particular. I think a lot of it is portion control, lack of exercise and going out to eat way too much. It's tough when for example, my father in law wants to go out for steak every friday night <and he pays, so how can I say no? *lol*> There has to be something good I can order, even if it's just the meat which I suspect isn't very healthily cooked, Saltgrass for reference.

Turnstyle

I've been reading this thread with interest for the last couple of years, and it's great to see everyones tales of success, really inspiring.

I've been trying to lose weight recently, being unhappy with my size for the last few years. When I was in my teens I could eat as much as I wanted, and I was always really skinny. However, when I hit my late-20's, the weight stuck. It's a shame, becuase I really love food!

Anyway, my peak weight was in March, where I weighed in at 16 st 4lb. I'm 6 ft 1".

I've been eating sensibly (three meals a day, no snacks), and exercising regularly, and I'm now 15st 7lb. Not a dramatic loss I know, but that's from 7 weeks work, so I'm really excited to see what I can do in the coming months.

Question for you guys - Is my weight loss going at a good pace? I've lose 11lb in 7 weeks, more or less. Should I be pushing for more? What's a sensible weekly weight loss?

Turnstyle said:
Question for you guys - Is my weight loss going at a good pace? I've lose 11lb in 7 weeks, more or less. Should I be pushing for more? What's a sensible weekly weight loss?

11lb is 5 Kilos, and to lose that much in 7 weeks is a fantastic effort! I certainly wouldn't recommend pushing for more, as if you can keep up your current regime, you'll be looking great in no time.

If you lose any weight in any given month, you should pat yourself on the back. If you want to set yourself a goal, I think losing 1-2 kilos a month is a good target. That should be possible without having to kill yourself. You'll have good and bad months though, so don't be down on yourself if one month you hardly lose anything, because in other months, you might lose lots.

One thing I would add is that you may well find out that you will "plateau" at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Usually when you change things up so drastically, you get a kind of body shock style effect. So you tend to find that initially, you lose a lot of weight without that much effort, which will explain losing 5KG in just 7 weeks. However, as your body adapts to your new diet and regime, you'll notice that the weight won't come off nearly as quickly as it did before. When that happens, don't lose heart. Just check this thread as there are some good tips for getting around the problem.

Keep up the good work!

Turnstyle

TheGoldenGunman said:
One thing I would add is that you may well find out that you will "plateau" at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Usually when you change things up so drastically, you get a kind of body shock style effect. So you tend to find that initially, you lose a lot of weight without that much effort, which will explain losing 5KG in just 7 weeks. However, as your body adapts to your new diet and regime, you'll notice that the weight won't come off nearly as quickly as it did before.

Yeah, I am worried about this! It's been quite easy so far, because I have had very immediate rewards from my drive to lose weight. I know it's going to get harder as I go on, so I'll definitely be dropping in here to pick up advice when that happens.

Thanks for the comments.

hellboy69

Neo Member
2zg6jx0.jpg
1elun8.jpg

245 to 190 (55 pounds lost)

I finally reached my goal weight. Its time for me to start doing some resistance training and lifting weights.

Went from a 40in waist to a 33....

Went from wearing XXL shirts to a Medium...

Schlep

hellboy69 said:

I finally reached my goal weight. Its time for me to start doing some resistance training and lifting weights.

Went from wearing XXL shirts to Medium...
Very nice. What were the start and end dates?

hellboy69

Neo Member
Schlep said:
Very nice. What were the start and end dates?

Thanks for the comment guys...

Don't remember exactly but I started around mid December of 2010 and been going fairly strict ever since. So about 6 months.

I haven't been exercising that consistently, but my diet has been pretty discipline through out the process.

Can anyone tell me a guesstimate of what my body fat % was/is between the two pictures?
I know its hard to tell with clothes on and its not gonna be exactly accurate, but I would like to have an idea.

Thanks

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
hellboy69 said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zg6jx0.jpg[/IG] [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/1elun8.jpg[/IG]

Went from wearing XXL shirts to Medium...[/QUOTE]

Incredible. Congrats. I wish i can have the same determination.

Corky

So err what's going on? I made a post a week or so ago mentioning that I've hit a plateau and can't lose any more weight.

Here's the kicker : I've gotten quite slimmer around the waist in just two weeks but the scale hasn't moved the slightest. I am well aware of weight fluctuation, water retention and overall randomness of weighing yourself but I mean really I've lost almost 2 inches in 2 weeks that should show on any of the scales I've been trying out but they all show a nonbudging 80kgs.

The fat all went to my brain, didn't it ? :(

Corky said:
So err what's going on? I made a post a week or so ago mentioning that I've hit a plateau and can't lose any more weight.

Here's the kicker : I've gotten quite slimmer around the waist in just two weeks but the scale hasn't moved the slightest. I am well aware of weight fluctuation, water retention and overall randomness of weighing yourself but I mean really I've lost almost 2 inches in 2 weeks that should show on any of the scales I've been trying out but they all show a nonbudging 80kgs.

How are you losing weight? Is it 100% diet, or are you exercising as well?

If you're not exercising, start doing some. If you are already, I'd advise you completely change your routine for a few weeks. For example, instead of running, try swimming or cycling. If you've mainly been doing cardio work, hit the weights hard instead. What can often happen is that your body effectively gets used to the routine you are treating it to and you start seeing diminishing returns. You put the work in, but you no longer achieve anything like the results you had before.

Another thing you could try is changing the intensity of your exercise. For example, if you go on long-ish runs, instead go on shorter runs, but alternate between fast sprinting and jogging.

Also, have a look at your diet again. I'm sure you've made a number of really good changes to what you eat, but maybe you can push it just a little further?

Personally, I hit the plateau numerous times. For me, I would switch the type of exercise I would do, and that would work. It would normally take a few weeks to notice any effect, but sure enough, the weight would start to come off again. And then when I would hit the plateau again, I would just switch back to the original type of exercise I was doing, or take on something else.

Hausmeister

Neo Member
I have one big problem GAF: I had around 133 kilo around 2005, 117 in 2007 and now I'm at 95-96 kilograms. Of course the weight reduce is noticable, but especially my breast area doesn't seem to go back as much as the others do. What, of course, leads to woman-like breasts while walking. When I lie on my back it's gone though.

Should I keep doing the regular gym stuff (cardio and a bit of muscle training), go see a doctor or ist there a certain way to reduce fat in that area? I'd love to go swimming, but not like that...

Corky

TheGoldenGunman said:

Aye I do both, excercise and diet. I do have access to a swimming pool but I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can use it :(. I will go ahead and switch up my biking routine, maybe that'll change things up.

ch0mp

Corky said:

I wouldn't call that a plateau.

Does the number on the scales really matter to you? I mean it sounds like you're improving your body composition.

Hausmeister said:
I have one big problem GAF: I had around 133 kilo around 2005, 117 in 2007 and now I'm at 95-96 kilograms. Of course the weight reduce is noticable, but especially my breast area doesn't seem to go back as much as the others do. What, of course, leads to woman-like breasts while walking. When I lie on my back it's gone though.

Should I keep doing the regular gym stuff (cardio and a bit of muscle training), go see a doctor or ist there a certain way to reduce fat in that area? I'd love to go swimming, but not like that...

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like you'll need surgery to get rid of the skin there. You'll still be able to lose some of that fat through cardio work, but basically your skin has stretched due to your previous bodyshape, and now it will stay like that, because skin is not elastic.

I'd advise going to a Doctor and seeing what they say, but I'm pretty sure you'll get a similar response.

Top Bottom