• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
hellboy69 said:
trust me man, it just takes a couple weeks of determination then its really easy after that. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't even feel difficult anymore, it just becomes a part of your lifestyle, and it can even feel difficult to go back to your old bad habits.

During the beginning weeks, you just have to try your best to stay away from foods that you know are bad for you. You wanna stay far away so you don't get tempted into cheating and feeling shitty and disappointed in yourself afterwards. IMO that is the key through out the whole process.

also, like everyone else in this thread says, its important to understand that you need to make small periodic changes in order for it to work long term and keep you from going insane. For example, my brother has done some extreme dieting through out the years where he goes from eating like a pig to starving himself. Not only is that harmful for your body and hard to maintain, it can lead you to give up easily and eventually, get even fatter than you were before you started the diet. Which is what has happened to him every time.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's hard to practice due to so many fast food places around my job. I used to eat the burger king ultimate breakfast platter every day for two months however I have stopped going there for three weeks now.

Chorazin said:
Hey everyone! I'm a fatty fat fat fat looking to finally drop these pounds and live a healthier life. I've gotten over a bunch of shit that he led me back in the past, and I really feel this time I've got the drive, the commitment, and the goals to make it work. Right now I'm at 318 (lost 7 pounds in two weeks already!) and I'd like to drop down to between 225 (high end, probably unrealistic) and 250 (much more realistic) in a year.

I'm doing EA Active 2’s Cardio Kick-Up program (starting week three of three) four days a week after work, and hitting the gym for an hour before work three days a week. I think this is pretty good for coming from doing nothing, although I know i'll need to expand my workouts in the nearish future. I'm also back on Weight Watchers using the "classic" points system which is much more scientifically solid than their new bullshit system, and that's helping me a lot with portions and eating at least five meals a day.

So, yeah, anyways, I'm here to keep accountable for myself, and learn from the folks who're trying to better themselves as well and engage in some mutual encouragement. :)
Good shit man, glad to have you here. I started at 300 lbs too and I've slimmed down a lot, but I plateaued at around 260 with mere weight training.

I'm unfamiliar with the Cardio Kick-Up program...but I know for a fact that swimming is probably the best form of cardio for overweight people. If you can find a natatorium or have access to a pool, replace ALL cardio with swimming and you will melt. Guaranteed.

Watch your carb intake too. <2000 calorie days only do so much when you're taking in over 200g of carbohydrates. Try to limit it to 100g per day, tops.

Edit: Watching all these beach specials on Travel Channel really motivates me to stay in this routine, XD.

Got a question for some of you gurus. I find that my rest day really screws up my continuity for my fitness plan. Is 7-day cardio acceptable?

Chorazin

Etrian Oddity said:
Good shit man, glad to have you here. I started at 300 lbs too and I've slimmed down a lot, but I plateaued at around 260 with mere weight training.

I'm unfamiliar with the Cardio Kick-Up program...but I know for a fact that swimming is probably the best form of cardio for overweight people. If you can find a natatorium or have access to a pool, replace ALL cardio with swimming and you will melt. Guaranteed.

Watch your carb intake too. <2000 calorie days only do so much when you're taking in over 200g of carbohydrates. Try to limit it to 100g per day, tops.

Edit: Watching all these beach specials on Travel Channel really motivates me to stay in this routine, XD.

Got a question for some of you gurus. I find that my rest day really screws up my continuity for my fitness plan. Is 7-day cardio acceptable?
Thanks man, I appreciate the welcome! I have been reducing my carb intake, high carb foods are high in points when doing weight watchers. For example I could have an oz of baked chips which are high in carbs for 3 points or three oz of additional lean meat for the same, I go with the meat. More protein = more better! It's hard to eliminate them entirely because my GF loves carbs, but I've been doing my best.

scitek

Always fun for me to do this. It's embarrassing seeing my before.

009wari.jpg

28tvqj6.jpg

scitek

hellboy69 said:
wow!!
Great job man..how long did it take and what is your starting and current weight?

In that first pic, which is about 3 years old, I weighed ~320 lbs. I'm now around 215. I dropped about 50 lbs. in 4 months, and it slowed considerably once I got around 230.

I drank water almost exclusively. I cut way back on fast food, and when I did eat it, I'd go with a grilled chicken sandwich or something and make substitutions like a salad instead of fries. Primarily, though, I'd just go to the park every single day and run. I'd run for about 40 minutes each session, and that's how I slimmed down. I still run 4-6 days a week, but I cut down to around 2.4 miles/20 minutes each session to ease up a bit on my knees. Still, I ran a mile in 7:25 a while back. I was pretty proud of that.

In order to lose more from here out, I need to change up my diet and focus on toning up my stomach. I could still lose another 15 lbs easy, I think, but I have to stop being lazy.

EDIT: I use the Runkeeper app on my phone. If anyone wants to join my "street team," feel free. http://runkeeper.com/user/Scitek/profile It's sometimes inaccurate for distance, but it's fun.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
For anyone new looking to gauge the right carb limit to have, I think this guide works very well (work from the bottom up and stop at 150g):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

@scitek - wow! Congratulations man, the hard work paid off, and you look great.

Also, I keep saying this on every page it seems, but try swimming as well as running. There is no stress on your knees, and yet it burns more weight off than running alone would do.

Zoe

TheGoldenGunman said:
Also, I keep saying this on every page it seems, but try swimming as well as running. There is no stress on your knees, and yet it burns more weight off than running alone would do.

As long as you avoid breaststroke.

cbox

Im in week 4 of the 4 hour body and i've only noticed teeny results. I'm 160lbs with love handles and it really pisses me off because I've lost weight everywhere else. They're still baggage from my larger 225 days and I want them gone. I am training for a long bike ride so I do about 30-50km every other day (high intensity ~25-30kmph).

My general food plan as of now is :

Breakfast : 1 egg + 2 egg whites mixed with spinach, black beans and salsa
Snack : Cup of black beans wit salsa for flavour
Lunch : Usually a salad with oo/vinegar + either pork, chicken or beef
Snack : baby carrots, celery, or a green pepper raw
Dinner : Pork chops with mixed veggies, or some sort of meat/fish/veggie combo
Before bed : teaspoon of almond butter

I drink water only, several times a day, do cardio exercise and try to get enough sleep - these last unwanted pounds are a PITA.

Everyone calls me skinny and I guess I am, but I want this remaining fat gone. I don't want a beach body with ripped everything, I just want to be toned enough. Some have said to lift weights, but I really hate doing that and would love to avoid it ( but i guess i'll have to do it if it's the only way - also not sure which weights to buy, how to use them etc etc. )

help me gaf!

ConvenientBox said:
Everyone calls me skinny and I guess I am, but I want this remaining fat gone. I don't want a beach body with ripped everything, I just want to be toned enough. Some have said to lift weights, but I really hate doing that and would love to avoid it ( but i guess i'll have to do it if it's the only way - also not sure which weights to buy, how to use them etc etc. )

help me gaf!

Don't be scared of weight lifting. It's a common misconception that weight lifting will turn you into a bulky muscle-man, it takes a ton of work to get a body like that.

Pick up 2X20lb Hex dumbbells. They're cheap and you can do a lot of exercises with em'.

Body-Solid-SDS550-Grey-Hex-Dumbbell-Set.jpg

A few good exercises to do are pushups (with the dumbbells), squats, deadlift, lunges, bent over row, overhead press.

cbox

I think it's cause each time I have weight lifted, i get a massive headache and really tense neck muscles afterwards - but i figured I'm just doing it wrong. Those weights are super cheap at a store near me, i think ill pick some up

Zoe

ConvenientBox said:
I think it's cause each time I have weight lifted, i get a massive headache and really tense neck muscles afterwards - but i figured I'm just doing it wrong. Those weights are super cheap at a store near me, i think ill pick some up

If you have a gym membership, see if they offer one-time orientation sessions for the weights. You're just harming yourself if you do it wrong.

Chorazin

ConvenientBox said:

Good gods man, sounds like you're tying to do way too much weight and straining like a pro body builder. Just make sure you get a weight appropriate for where you are and you should be good. :)

EDIT: Do what Zoe says and they'll be able to give you the right weights and some common exercises. You can look up more exotic ones on the net later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ConvenientBox said:

Have you tried just using your body weight?

Wall presses, air squats, sit ups, push ups.

Zoe said:
As long as you avoid breaststroke.

Is that actually true? If so, that's something I did not know...

Still, I'd dare say that swimming must put far less stress on any part of your body in comparison to a high impact activity like running.

I actually love both, and I really recommend Swimming for weight loss. It can have truly dramatic effects.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
betweenthewheels said:
Don't be scared of weight lifting. It's a common misconception that weight lifting will turn you into a bulky muscle-man, it takes a ton of work to get a body like that.

Pick up 2X20lb Hex dumbbells. They're cheap and you can do a lot of exercises with em'.

A few good exercises to do are pushups (with the dumbbells), squats, deadlift, lunges, bent over row, overhead press.

Just wanted to echo what betweenthewheels is saying here. I'm of the same mindset as ConvenientBox in that I didn't want to get muscular when losing weight, but it became quite apparent after a while how much of a difference some light dumbbells (mine are only 2x15lb!) can make in shedding fat and improving your appearance without ever needing to worry about "bulking up." I'll probably never hit my ideal body fat percentage, but even so, my chest, stomach and arms look far better than they did when I was only doing cardio and diet.

Get some proper instruction on using them to reduce the possibility of an injury (which isn't a significant concern with smaller things like this, but it's still smart to approach it correctly) and you'll be set. The bodyweight exercises mentioned are a good idea, too, although personally I don't find them enjoyable or particularly effective for my body type.

ConvenientBox said:
What were you doing? When I started doing pull ups again after a long lapse, my neck muscles would hurt and I'd have headaches the next day. This lasted a few sessions until my body got used to it again.

You should read the gaf fitness thread OPs and check out the resources there. I'd take that and the advice from the regulars in that thread over a random gym trainer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28179662#post28179662

Zoe

TheGoldenGunman said:
Is that actually true? If so, that's something I did not know...

It's not a very natural motion to swing out your legs like that. If you force the motion too hard in the wrong way, it can hurt your knees.

Alright, so time for an update. I'm still not feeling great enough to post a full body shot, plus I don't have a 'before' body shot.

This is me at the start, it's from my driver' license. Actually I was 30 lbs heavier than this picture when I started:

312vkma.jpg

EDIT: Found a picture of me at 400 lbs with my wife. We're separated now :\ I miss her like hell.
98uj9k.jpg

This is me today, 100 lbs lighter and 3 1/2 months later. Doing low-carb, high protein, and tons of weight lifting and jogging:

5l798n.jpg

mwb0op.jpg

I'm halfway there!

So far I have lost 11lbs, feeling pretty good about it. I am using the myfitnesspal.com goals to eat around 1500 calories per day, and I typically also do a couple of 30-minute brisk walks on the treadmill each day which nets me back about 400 calories. Seems to be working so far, but seeing all the carb talk in here I'm wondering if I should be watching my carbs as much as I watch overall calories. When I look back at my food diary for the past week or so I notice I'm often getting more than 150g carbs per day. Rarely MUCH more than that, but I'm rarely under 150 either. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
So far I have lost 11lbs, feeling pretty good about it. I am using the myfitnesspal.com goals to eat around 1500 calories per day, and I typically also do a couple of 30-minute brisk walks on the treadmill each day which nets me back about 400 calories. Seems to be working so far, but seeing all the carb talk in here I'm wondering if I should be watching my carbs as much as I watch overall calories. When I look back at my food diary for the past week or so I notice I'm often getting more than 150g carbs per day. Rarely MUCH more than that, but I'm rarely under 150 either. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
After trying roughly the same thing last year and not succeeding, I'd say you're headed for a crash. I was able to pull this method off when I was 20 just because of age and ridiculous amounts of exercise. Tried it almost 10 years later last year and had some early success, but the carb cravings were too much. Optimistically, even at 150g of carbs, that only leaves 900 of your calories to split between protein and fat. If you split the calories on each, then you're at 40/30/30. My guess is that you're going the chicken breast and tuna route, which would probably put you closer to 50/20/30 (c/f/p). Hard to stay full on a diet like that.

Assuming you're over five feet, male, and under 60, that's too few calories, I think. If you add some fat and probably more protein into your diet, calories will become a secondary concern. It's hard to go much over 2500 calories a day when you're only doing 20% carbs. You'd literally start to feel sick at some point, I think. Most days I don't even reach 2000 if I actually do the math (my target).

Akim

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
EDIT: Found a picture of me at 400 lbs with my wife. We're separated now :\ I miss her like hell.
98uj9k.jpg

way to go man........

your (ex)wife looked good.....tell me your secrets

Schlep said:
After trying roughly the same thing last year and not succeeding, I'd say you're headed for a crash. I was able to pull this method off when I was 20 just because of age and ridiculous amounts of exercise. Tried it almost 10 years later last year and had some early success, but the carb cravings were too much. Optimistically, even at 150g of carbs, that only leaves 900 of your calories to split between protein and fat. If you split the calories on each, then you're at 40/30/30. My guess is that you're going the chicken breast and tuna route, which would probably put you closer to 50/20/30 (c/f/p). Hard to stay full on a diet like that.

Assuming you're over five feet, male, and under 60, that's too few calories, I think. If you add some fat and probably more protein into your diet, calories will become a secondary concern. It's hard to go much over 2500 calories a day when you're only doing 20% carbs. You'd literally start to feel sick at some point, I think. Most days I don't even reach 2000 if I actually do the math (my target).

So are you saying I should change my daily calorie goal, or work on making sure that a smaller percentage of my daily calories come from carbs? Or both?

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
So are you saying I should change my daily calorie goal, or work on making sure that a smaller percentage of my daily calories come from carbs? Or both?
I would say a bit of both. 1500 is a bit low unless you're female or really short. I try to stay at 100g or less carbs myself. Best advice I can give is watch Fat Head and read through this thread in your down time. Lots of good info.

Akim said:
It's mostly calories in>calories out. 1500 should be fine.

Check this out: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741
It really isn't.

Simplet

Hey everyone I have a question about HIIT, I see there was a discussion about that a few pages ago.

I don't really enjoy doing pure HIIT sprint training, I find it a little bit dry. What I like to do is run for between one and two hours in the woods, and randomly start little sprints when my music makes me feel like it. That or simply give myself small challenges, like accelerate to catch up with some guy running a few hundreds meters in front of me before I reach point X, that kind of things.

Do I still get (some of) the benefits of the HIIT training that way? Or is it better to either run steadily for a long time or do purely HIIT training?

Akim said:
way to go man........

your (ex)wife looked good.....tell me your secrets

Assertiveness is everything. Chicks like the dominant alpha thing.

That picture is really embarrassing though. She was literally a 4th my weight.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I currently weigh around 198 pounds (6'3), and just turned 21, and was wondering what I am doing would make me loose 2 pounds fine? I burn 700 calories on a treadmil for 3 times each week, with 20 sit ups and working on my arms and then the sides of my stomach with a ball weight (going side ways) so I spend about 80 minutes in the gym each time (50 cardio and the rest on toning). I walk to work 30-40 minutes each way twice for 5 days (burning aprox around 230 calories each way) to work also. I tend to drink just water and have 3 meals a day (brekfast, lunch, and dinner) and probably one snack (either crisps or a small portion of cheese and biscuits) with about 1,600 calories taking in. How long would you think it take me to get around 180 pounds if I keep it up? Thanks in advance guys :)

Zoe said:
It's not a very natural motion to swing out your legs like that. If you force the motion too hard in the wrong way, it can hurt your knees.

I swam competitively for about 5 years but have never heard of someone doing a knee from breaststroke.

Not saying that it cant happen but unlikely unless you are trying to get the majority of your propulsion from your legs and not your arms (which is technically incorrect).

Anyway, I have started strict intermittent fasting. Only had two meals in the last 48 hrs. Surprisingly I haven't felt really hungry and have looked in the fridge a couple of times but resisted. Just been for a swim and it will be interesting now as I don't want to eat until tomorrow lunchtime.

Zoe

chicko1983 said:
I swam competitively for about 5 years but have never heard of someone doing a knee from breaststroke.

Not saying that it cant happen but unlikely unless you are trying to get the majority of your propulsion from your legs and not your arms (which is technically incorrect).

I'm speaking more for concern about people who aren't really trained for swimming but are just trying to pick it up.

ZombieFred said:
Hey guys, I currently weigh around 198 pounds (6'3), and just turned 21, and was wondering what I am doing would make me loose 2 pounds fine? I burn 700 calories on a treadmil for 3 times each week, with 20 sit ups and working on my arms and then the sides of my stomach with a ball weight (going side ways) so I spend about 80 minutes in the gym each time (50 cardio and the rest on toning). I walk to work 30-40 minutes each way twice for 5 days (burning aprox around 230 calories each way) to work also. I tend to drink just water and have 3 meals a day (brekfast, lunch, and dinner) and probably one snack (either crisps or a small portion of cheese and biscuits) with about 1,600 calories taking in. How long would you think it take me to get around 180 pounds if I keep it up? Thanks in advance guys :)

At your age, with that intense a regime and a diet like that, you will lose weight FAST. It's quite possible that you could do it in under 3 months, but you need to maintain the regime for the duration of that period.

You might also find that you plateau as you reach your target weight and you will probably find the last couple of pounds the hardest to shake.

But still, if you keep it up, you'll be looking great in no time. Good Luck!

Zoe said:
I'm speaking more for concern about people who aren't really trained for swimming but are just trying to pick it up.

Well if you are going to swim for fitness or weightloss, I would also recommend a couple of lessons or getting a good swimmer you know to give you some tips.

As you pointed out, injuries can occur from poor technique. I hadn't heard about doing a knee but I have heard plenty of neck and sidestrain issues from people with poor technique.

Also, a good technique will help you swim further and in the end you will get a lot more out of swimming.

Swimming is great for fitness and weightloss but if you can't swim well and only do 200-500m (judging on what I see at the pool I am sure the majority of people are only swimming that far), then you probably aren't getting much out of it even though you feel knackered (more so from holding your breath than actually physical exertion).

But then again, swimming 500m is far better than sitting on the couch.

Chorazin

Active 2 kicked my ass last night, and then I hit the gym this morning for some treadmill and bike, but not enough weights because I was running late to get out the door today. :(

I'm breaking in my Vibram Bikila LS shoes so I did 12 minutes on the tread and 12 on the bike, I usually like to do more on the treadmill but now my feet are killing me because I'm not yet used to walking more on the balls of my feet. Works the calves though!

So far I've been keeping up my exercise seven days a week, but I go easier at the gym because Active 2 makes me go pretty hard four days a week.

As an aside, My neighborhood is having a yardsale this Saturday, I'm hoping I can score some exercise equipment on the cheap! I figure people have given up on their resolutions by now and will try and get some money back!

It is and it isn't. You can eat a paleo/low carb style diet but if you are eating more than maintenance, you are gonna gain weight regardless.

I think people put too much emphasis on trying to find a "catch all". Experiment and see what works for you. Myself, I can eat 100-200g of carbs and still lose weight just fine while others cannot. It all depends on your goals and what you are trying to achieve.

daycru

daycru said:
Been going at it for a few months. 370-335. My goal is to be under 300 by August. Try to do 1800-2500 calories a day and the 30 minute plan on my elliptical everyday. Has ended up more like 5x, but I think that's still pretty good.
315 today! Should exceed my goal with little problem barring marrying into some kind of pizza maven's family. Should I bother with supplements or just stick to what's gotten me this far?

FallingEdge said:
It is and it isn't. You can eat a paleo/low carb style diet but if you are eating more than maintenance, you are gonna gain weight regardless.
This has been my experience for sure. Only while eating paleo/low carb do I actually feel legitimate hunger, as opposted to being in gluten/sugar withdrawal, and sometimes I'll have a pound of meat when all I really need is 8 oz or so. I get all the health benefits of course, but the scale doesn't move.

Still working on only eating as much as I need, which becomes more complicated when you throw intermittent fasting into the equation - sometimes I decide to eat more just because I have to subsist for 16 hours on it, and it turns out to be totally unnecessary.

cbox

parrotbeak said:
What were you doing? When I started doing pull ups again after a long lapse, my neck muscles would hurt and I'd have headaches the next day. This lasted a few sessions until my body got used to it again.

You should read the gaf fitness thread OPs and check out the resources there. I'd take that and the advice from the regulars in that thread over a random gym trainer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28179662#post28179662

Pretty much a lift whatever weight I had, or even using resistance bands hurt my neck. As with cycling it must get easier, so i'll just man up and take the pain

Top Bottom