• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Ripclawe

Banned
damn it, I think I figured out why I have been stuck at this weight for about 2 months, I got around to getting a bodyfat measurement at the gym, plugged in the numbers. I know its estimates but I have been in maintenance levels instead of upping the calories. I would be in the very active level and I have been using the lose weight levels at sedentary.

nETgU.jpg

Funny thing is I haven't felt this good in a while. Should I been freaking out?

Hey Weight-Loss Gaffers. I have been a lurker around these parts for quite awhile now, figured it was time to introduce myself. I am a 28 y/o male, currently weighing at 205lbs. This is actually the lowest I have been in my entire adult life. At my heaviest I weighed in at 360 pounds:

28253139438409346310479.jpg

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/captainyes
(Fitting this is my before picture, wonder how I got there?)

I took a hard look and decided it was time for a change back in October of '10. Soda was the hardest thing to stop, but once I got over that everything seemed to click. I lost 155 lbs over the last 8 months+:

7170764077497214506.jpg

I have worked really hard to get here and recently have been allowing myself little "rewards" like cheat meals or the like. I don't if it's the right thing to be doing, but so far nothing bad has come of it. I am wondering what you guys do to stay motivated?

Chorazin

Gary Whitta said:
This has really turned into a low-carb thread, which I think is a good thing :)

Except that it's a bit boring to read about carbs all day for those of us not on a low carb diet, especially when it's the same info presented over and over.

CaptainYesterday05 said:
Hey Weight-Loss Gaffers. I have been a lurker around these parts for quite awhile now, figured it was time to introduce myself. I am a 28 y/o male, currently weighing at 205lbs. This is actually the lowest I have been in my entire adult life. At my heaviest I weighed in at 360 pounds:

I took a hard look and decided it was time for a change back in October of '10. Soda was the hardest thing to stop, but once I got over that everything seemed to click. I lost 155 lbs over the last 8 months+:

7170764077497214506.jpg

I have worked really hard to get here and recently have been allowing myself little "rewards" like cheat meals or the like. I don't if it's the right thing to be doing, but so far nothing bad has come of it. I am wondering what you guys do to stay motivated?

Congratulations man! You look great!

8 months? Wow! Keep up the great work!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Ripclawe said:
damn it, I think I figured out why I have been stuck at this weight for about 2 months, I got around to getting a bodyfat measurement at the gym, plugged in the numbers. I know its estimates but I have been in maintenance levels instead of upping the calories. I would be in the very active level and I have been using the lose weight levels at sedentary.

nETgU.jpg

Funny thing is I haven't felt this good in a while. Should I been freaking out?

Are the numbers calories? You've probably already heard this suggestion, but you should give Good Calories, Bad Calories a read. This entire thread is already an advocate for low carb, so you've probably been battered over the head with it. Regardless, I think calorie counting is one of the worst ways of losing/gaining weight.

CaptainYesterday05 said:

7170764077497214506.jpg

WOW! That's incredible.

ProudClod said:
Are the numbers calories? You've probably already heard this suggestion, but you should give Good Calories, Bad Calories a read. This entire thread is already an advocate for low carb, so you've probably been battered over the head with it. Regardless, I think calorie counting is one of the worst ways of losing/gaining weight.

I disagree. While I myself don't believe it all comes down to calorie counting, you still need to keep track of it. You can't just eat as much as you want of the "good" food and expect to lose weight.

Sarye

FallingEdge said:
I disagree. While I myself don't believe it all comes down to calorie counting, you still need to keep track of it. You can't just eat as much as you want of the "good" food and expect to lose weight.

I gotta say... it's interesting to read the different advices here and the lifting thread when it come to food. Here it's all about low carbs and the idea of good cal bad cal. In the lifting thread it's all about counting calories.

I agree that you still need to count calories. In fact, a lot of people when bulking still eat cleanly with little carbs. They just eat much more of it to gain weight.

Personally I think people eat too many carbs in their diet but I disagree completely that counting calories is one of the worst way to lose weight. Everyone is different and if counting calories work for you (as it does for me and all my friends) then keep on doing it. If following a low carb diet works for you then go ahead and continue on that plan. The important thing here is to do what works for you.

If anything, counting calories train people to accurately estimate how many calories are actually in food as people tend to underestimate how many calories they eat

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I can tell, the whole thing about "unused" calories turning into body fat theory is based entirely on assumptions. I searched for a bit yesterday, and will continue to look today, but I haven't seen any scientific data that strongly supports the idea.

By the way I think it's great that the first photo is of you stuffing your face and the second one is from your OKCupid profile. That tells a story right there :)

Akim

Banned
My theory is, for a lot of the people doing low carb, this is the first time a diet truly worked for them. They usually hang on to the idea with all of their might, championing it as the best way to lose weight. When I was on it the first time, I did the same thing. DON'T EAT A CARB.

When I finally added carbs back into my diet, I still continued to lose another 25 pounds. I counted my calories. Right now, I'm back on the low carb, but I still count my calories. I'm a strong believer in calories in/calories out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Akim said:
My theory is, for a lot of the people doing low carb, this is the first time a diet truly worked for them. They usually hang on to the idea with all of their might, championing it as the best way to lose weight. When I was on it the first time, I did the same thing. DON'T EAT A CARB.

When I finally added carbs back into my diet, I still continued to lose another 25 pounds. I counted my calories. Right now, I'm back on the low carb, but I still count my calories. I'm a strong believer in calories in/calories out.

How many carbs did you add back, and what kind of carbs were they?

Also, what makes you a strong believer in calories in/calories out? Is it just from personal experience? Personally, I'm not a big fan of simply 'believing' in things. I like hard data and evidence, and it seems like there isn't much at all in terms of scientific data to support the calories in/calories out theory. There is plenty of data, on the other hand, that shows that certain foods spike insulin, which then sends all of the extra glucose in your blood to your fat cells unless you've been actively working out to build muscle.

Akim said:

I do both, my basic rules right now are to try to avoid going over 2000 calories and to stay within 50-100 carbs per day. Both goals seem reasonable and sustainable (I rarely feel hungry) and it seems to be working so far.

Also, got my Quest bars today. I hope the taste is as good as the nutrition stats!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I've said this earlier in the thread, but calorie restriction/deficit has helped me lose 40 pounds since March.

~205 pounds to 163 pounds (current). I'm 5' 9'' and 19.

Take it as you will, but bashing on calorie restriction is pointless. Let people use a diet that works for them, that's what this thread is for. Low-carb works, but so does calorie restriction. It's about losing weight, not championing your diet as the "only way" to lose weight.

I didn't choose low-carb because I fucking love carbs hardcore. Peanut butter banana sandwich FTW.

Clegg

Ok GAF I'm looking for some advice if you can give it please.For the last 5 weeks I've been using the exercise bike in my house to help lose some weight.Since then my fitness levels have improved a lot and Im feeling great but I haven't lost much weight at all.Is there something I should be doing differently,should I try something new.Help would be very much appreciated.

Chorazin

Clegg said:
Ok GAF I'm looking for some advice if you can give it please.For the last 5 weeks I've been using the exercise bike in my house to help lose some weight.Since then my fitness levels have improved a lot and Im feeling great but I haven't lost much weight at all.Is there something I should be doing differently,should I try something new.Help would be very much appreciated.

Ok....what's your diet like? Since you didn't mention it at all I guess you haven't changed anything?

Weight loss starts in the kitchen!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K2Valor said:
I've said this earlier in the thread, but calorie restriction/deficit has helped me lose 40 pounds since March.

~205 pounds to 163 pounds (current). I'm 5' 9'' and 19.

Take it as you will, but bashing on calorie restriction is pointless. Let people use a diet that works for them, that's what this thread is for. Low-carb works, but so does calorie restriction. It's about losing weight, not championing your diet as the "only way" to lose weight.

I didn't choose low-carb because I fucking love carbs hardcore. Peanut butter banana sandwich FTW.

Obviously people should do what works for them, but that's about as pointless as telling someone to use moderation in everything. It's no advice at all.

I'm not sure if you were directing your comments toward me, but I'm not bashing calorie restriction. I'm just doubting it, because I haven't seen any compelling scientific evidence that it's even a valid theory, and I'm curious why it is taken as conventional wisdom in the world of dieting.

If a certain diet is working for you, is sustainable, and you're enjoying it, then of course you probably shouldn't change it. However, this thread is about weight loss methodology and giving advice to those who are interested in losing weight. I think objective scientific data is more valuable than speculation and anecdotal evidence, where it's hardly possible to disclose 100% of the details, when it comes to finding a method guaranteed to produce results.

Marjorine

A question for you experts:

I have cut my carb intake WAAAAY down. I wouldn't really call my diet super low carb, but I have completely cut out things like chips, hamburger buns, pizza, white bread, white rice, most sweets, etc. I ate a lot of that stuff until about a week ago, so it has been hard, but the cravings have stopped for those foods.

I still eat fruit and some whole grain items, like certain bread and crackers. So I am getting some carbs.

Physically, I feel a lot better. Tons better actually. However, I have had these headaches. They aren't the sharp stress headaches I am used to. They are dull and I feel a little cloudy. Over the counter headache stuff isn't working like it usually does.

I have to believe this is related to how I have been eating. Is this common? Does it go away? Because this is getting very, very old. I don't want to switch my eating routine, because other than the headaches I feel much better.

Input?

heyf00L

Marjorine said:

I have cut my carb intake WAAAAY down. I wouldn't really call my diet super low carb, but I have completely cut out things like chips, hamburger buns, pizza, white bread, white rice, most sweets, etc. I ate a lot of that stuff until about a week ago, so it has been hard, but the cravings have stopped for those foods.

I still eat fruit and some whole grain items, like certain bread and crackers. So I am getting some carbs.

Physically, I feel a lot better. Tons better actually. However, I have had these headaches. They aren't the sharp stress headaches I am used to. They are dull and I feel a little cloudy. Over the counter headache stuff isn't working like it usually does.

I have to believe this is related to how I have been eating. Is this common? Does it go away? Because this is getting very, very old. I don't want to switch my eating routine, because other than the headaches I feel much better.

Input?
Are you drinking water?

Clegg

Chorazin said:
Ok....what's your diet like? Since you didn't mention it at all I guess you haven't changed anything?

Weight loss starts in the kitchen!
My diet hasn't been great this year really.I started University last September so for 8 months my diet was beer,pizza chinese food and the occasional proper meal,which was why I put on weight in the first place.Now im out of Uni for the summer my diet has improved a bit.Cereal for breakfast,sandwiches for lunch then fish,meat,potatoes and veg for dinner.Different stuff during the week.I don't really snack during the day either.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone using a nice low-carb cookbook? I'm getting tired of anything more or less the same, week after week. I'd like to experiment with new recipes.

Chorazin

BigKaboom2 said:
I drink a ton of water - if you ever feel thirsty you're probably already dehydrated.

Sometimes it feels like I'm just forcing it down, but it's the ultimate low-carb weight loss plateau breaker in my experience.

I drink tons of water too, far above and beyond the 64oz a day Weight Watchers requires.

heyf00L

Marjorine said:
Yes. Maybe I should drink more. It isn't like it would kill me to do so.
Too much water will kill you if you're not getting electrolytes (sodium) also. However, that's pretty difficult to do. Just eat some salty foods and don't drink distilled water.

Anyway, yeah, try drinking at least a gallon spread through the day.

A nice bonus of drinking water is that your body burns calories to heat it up to body temperature. It takes ~35 calories to heat up a liter (32 oz) of ice-cold water to body temperature. That's free calorie burning.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Marjorine said:
Yes. Maybe I should drink more. It isn't like it would kill me to do so.

I get headaches aswell, similiar to those I get when I haven't been eating for a longer period of time. These usually occur quite heavily in the first 2 days of me getting back on low-carb again.

Usually it passes, also yeah water helps me a lot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BigKaboom2 said:
I drink a ton of water - if you ever feel thirsty you're probably already dehydrated.

Sometimes it feels like I'm just forcing it down, but it's the ultimate low-carb weight loss plateau breaker in my experience.

http://www.pre-diabetes.com/lifesty...ason-1-you-are-not-drinking-enough-water.html

Same. I easily drink at least 4 liters of water per day, and that's separate from any coffee or tea I may consume.

Clegg said:
My diet hasn't been great this year really.I started University last September so for 8 months my diet was beer,pizza chinese food and the occasional proper meal,which was why I put on weight in the first place.Now im out of Uni for the summer my diet has improved a bit.Cereal for breakfast,sandwiches for lunch then fish,meat,potatoes and veg for dinner.Different stuff during the week.I don't really snack during the day either.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd highly suggest skimming through the last ten pages (five if you're a 100-post-per-page person). To put it simply: eliminate or greatly reduce sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption and you'll find guaranteed success at a relatively quick pace. If that isn't something you're willing to do, it seems some people are finding success by simply limiting their caloric intake, although I haven't seen any extremely detailed posts about the method.

Clegg

Zefah said:
Same. I easily drink at least 4 liters of water per day, and that's separate from any coffee or tea I may consume.

I'd highly suggest skimming through the last ten pages (five if you're a 100-post-per-page person). To put it simply: eliminate or greatly reduce sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption and you'll find guaranteed success at a relatively quick pace. If that isn't something you're willing to do, it seems some people are finding success by simply limiting their caloric intake, although I haven't seen any extremely detailed posts about the method.
I'll do just that thanks.

Sarye

Zefah said:
Obviously people should do what works for them, but that's about as pointless as telling someone to use moderation in everything. It's no advice at all.

I'm not sure if you were directing your comments toward me, but I'm not bashing calorie restriction. I'm just doubting it, because I haven't seen any compelling scientific evidence that it's even a valid theory, and I'm curious why it is taken as conventional wisdom in the world of dieting.

If a certain diet is working for you, is sustainable, and you're enjoying it, then of course you probably shouldn't change it. However, this thread is about weight loss methodology and giving advice to those who are interested in losing weight. I think objective scientific data is more valuable than speculation and anecdotal evidence, where it's hardly possible to disclose 100% of the details, when it comes to finding a method guaranteed to produce results.

I don't think he was directing his comments at you but more towards the general attitude of this thread. However I do understand where you're coming from.

I do think that it's a little more complicated than calorie in/calorie out but more because our body is not constant. There's so many different variables to account for that it's hard to calculate just how much you should eat.

Back when I was dieting, I approximated how many calories I should be eating at a 500cal deficit and adjusted it accordingly every month if I was losing too much or too little weight.

Losing the weight is half the battle, the tough part is keeping it off, but so far I've been at a weight I'm comfortable with for over a year.

I follow a few basic principles:
-Never starve myself
-Eat a diet that I can maintain forever
-Limit the number of carbs but no need to go too crazy with this (yes I do this too)
-Exercise regularly

You know what I find is the easiest way to up your water intake? Get a water bottle. Not one you have to wash and take care of. Just get an Aquafina or Ice Mountain or some cheapie water bottle. Keep it with you all the time. If you're moving somewhere, you bring your bottle with you. When you feel the least bit thirsty, drink. Don't go out of your way to refill it, but every single time you go past a water spout you trust (home faucet, drinking fountain that's sanitary, whatever), top the sucker off. Recycle and get a new bottle every 2 weeks for safety sake. I've managed to up my intake from maybe a glass of water and some juices here and there a day to at minimum 1.5 liters of water and more juices than I can keep in stock.

The key to this is to always have water on hand every time you're thirsty and to cut out any work in the process. No washing metal or hard plastic bottles (work), no reminding yourself to drink at certain times (hassle), no going out of your way to refill. Within a week your water intake will be way up.

I use one of these bottles:

smart-water.jpg

But I use its 1L cousin. It fits into any cup holder, which is nice for something of its volume. I've also tried washable water bottles in the past and they've never gotten me to stick to hydration like this method has.

Zefah said:
If that isn't something you're willing to do, it seems some people are finding success by simply limiting their caloric intake, although I haven't seen any extremely detailed posts about the method.
I have no doubt that caloric restriction on a high carb diet can produce weight loss - the problem is that you are hungry ALL THE TIME.

Monday I had a salad with chicken & bacon around noontime and some ground beef stir fry at 6 - didn't feel hungry at all until mid-morning the next day. Just a ridiculous caloric deficit and I had no urge to eat.

edit: ^ Not typical, I usually eat more but totally forgot to do so this time.

Wait, so according to that link even putting a bit of crystal light or mio into my water can degrade its effectiveness? That sounds a bit extreme. Adding a touch of flavor is what makes it easy for me to drink the 2-4 liters I do every day.

Chorazin

I really find it facinating when people say they can't drink water straight. Uh, it's water, you need it to live, just drink that shit.

Zoe

Chorazin said:
I really find it facinating when people say they can't drink water straight. Uh, it's water, you need it to live, just drink that shit.

It gives me little satisfaction other than satisfying thirst. It's almost always more desirable to drink something flavorful.

Marjorine said:

Input?

Eat more fats.

Another suggestion for fat loss is trying Intermittent Fasting.

http://www.leangains.com/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Wait, so according to that link even putting a bit of crystal light or mio into my water can degrade its effectiveness? That sounds a bit extreme. Adding a touch of flavor is what makes it easy for me to drink the 2-4 liters I do every day.

I don't think there have been any controlled tests done, but it seems that artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (the sweetener in MiO) may confuse your brain with the sweetness sensation and cause your cell receptors to prepare for an insulin spike that never actually comes. This apparently causes your body to crave the carbohydrates that it was expecting, and can greatly increase hunger.

Here are some links I found by simply googling "sucralose insulin", and "aspartame insulin", but like I said, there doesn't seem to be an conclusive evidence yet:

http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/aspartame-nutrasweet.htm
http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

Either way, it seems like the best course of action may be to simply avoid these artificial sweeteners. That's what I do, at least. I guess I'm just lucky that I've always loved water and unsweetened tea.

Chorazin said:

Same. I'm addicted to the refreshing and even energizing sensation I get after chugging down some water. This is especially true in the morning; I gulp down 500ml or so of cold water within minutes of waking, and any sense of grogginess immediately disappears.

Trying the Quest Protein bar now, followed the instructions that came with them to pop it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before eating to make it all warm and gooey.

OMG SO GOOD - tastes like a cookie right out of the oven. ORDERING MORE.

Zoe said:
It gives me little satisfaction other than satisfying thirst. It's almost always more desirable to drink something flavorful.

Maybe drink water and masturbate at the same time?

For all those that say they lost weight while restricting calories, but without restricting carbs:
Were you eating 300+ grams of carbs a day? Maybe for some people, less than 300 is restricting?
I looked closely at what I used to eat last year, and 300+ per day was easy. I probably would have lost weight on 200 grams, since to me, that would have been a restriction.

I measured out my Jethro Bodine bowl for my cereal, filled it with my 2010 amount of raisin bran, and it was 100 grams of carbs (before adding the milk)!
Then there is all the pasta, rice, bread I would eat. Fruit, juice, more juice, potatoes. Bagels, oh god, and cookies. I ate very little protein, and wasn't big on fatty foods.

Also, excess carbs aren't good for many other reasons besides weight.
So quit eating carbs! :)

Akim

Banned
It's my first day of work on this diet. Do I have enough willpower to resist the buffet style food and soda fountain in the break room?

Oh god wish me luck :(

Sarye

ipukespiders said:
Maybe drink water and masturbate at the same time?

For all those that say they lost weight while restricting calories, but without restricting carbs:
Were you eating 300+ grams of carbs a day? Maybe for some people, less than 300 is restricting?
I looked closely at what I used to eat last year, and 300+ per day was easy. I probably would have lost weight on 200 grams, since to me, that would have been a restriction.

I measured out my Jethro Bodine bowl for my cereal, filled it with my 2010 amount of raisin bran, and it was 100 grams of carbs (before adding the milk)!
Then there is all the pasta, rice, bread I would eat. Fruit, juice, more juice, potatoes. Bagels, oh god, and cookies. I ate very little protein, and wasn't big on fatty foods.

Also, excess carbs aren't good for many other reasons besides weight.
So quit eating carbs! :)

I don't see how one can restrict calories without restricting carbs. Foods high in carbs tend to be also high in calories so I can imagine that a diet high in carbs and low in calories to be not much food at all.

But then we get into correlation and causation. Was it the restriction of calories that caused the weight loss? or the restriction of carbs?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sarye said:
I don't see how one can restrict calories without restricting carbs. Foods high in carbs tend to be also high in calories so I can imagine that a diet high in carbs and low in calories to be not much food at all.

But then we get into correlation and causation. Was it the restriction of calories that caused the weight loss? or the restriction of carbs?

Well, we know that refined carbohydrates and sugars cause a spike in insulin which tells your fat cells to absorb glucose from the blood, thus causing your body to accumulate fat tissue.

We do not know, however, that simply reducing the intake of calories consumed (regardless of their source) has anything to do with weight loss/management. The calorie certainly is an easy target. It falls in line with the concept that "gluttony = sin", and simplifying things into big, easy-to-understand numbers is appealing. It's also a lot easier to explain that fat people are fat because they lack the willpower to not eat so damn much. That's all fine and dandy, but when it seems that the only evidence offered in support of the calories in/calories out theory is the flawed application of the first law of thermodynamics, I get suspicious.

Sarye said:

What?
An 1800 calorie a day diet might be a restriction for some. 400+ grams of carbs makes that easy.
There are people that "diet" on fruit and veggies, plus things like toast and jam for breakfast.
Virtually all calories can easily come from carbs.

Man invented the term "calorie", not mother nature. We should come up with something better.

I stole from somewhere (some low carb forum):

Q. What's a calorie?
A. It's a measure of heat.

Q. How do we measure the calories in food?
A. In a bomb calorimeter, i.e. by setting the food afire.

Q. Does the body use a calorie the same way we measure it?
A. No, the body does not set the food afire.

Q. So what does the body use for energy if not the calorie?
A. Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP).

Q. So what's obesity then if not the excess consumption of calories?
A. It's the excess accumulation of triglycerides, i.e. fat.

Q. But you just said the body uses ATP for energy?
A. Yes, but ATP is not what causes excess accumulation of triglycerides.

Q. So what causes the excess accumulation of triglycerides?
A. Carbohydrate.

Q. How?
A. By stimulating insulin which stimulates both the formation and the storage of triglycerides.

Q. Do calories count?
A. Only if you burn your food for heat. Then, it would be wise to choose the food that produces the most heat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ipukespiders said:
What?
An 1800 calorie a day diet might be a restriction for some. 400+ grams of carbs makes that easy.
There are people that "diet" on fruit and veggies, plus things like toast and jam for breakfast.

Man invented the term "calorie", not mother nature. We should come up with something better.

I stole from somewhere (some low carb forum):

Q. What's a calorie?
A. It's a measure of heat.

Q. How do we measure the calories in food?
A. In a bomb calorimeter, i.e. by setting the food afire.

Q. Does the body use a calorie the same way we measure it?
A. No, the body does not set the food afire.

Q. So what does the body use for energy if not the calorie?
A. Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP).

Q. So what's obesity then if not the excess consumption of calories?
A. It's the excess accumulation of triglycerides, i.e. fat.

Q. But you just said the body uses ATP for energy?
A. Yes, but ATP is not what causes excess accumulation of triglycerides.

Q. So what causes the excess accumulation of triglycerides?
A. Carbohydrate.

Q. How?
A. By stimulating insulin which stimulates both the formation and the storage of triglycerides.

Q. Do calories count?
A. Only if you burn your food for heat. Then, it would be wise to choose the food that produces the most heat.

Love that Q&A.

Here's another quote from the Something Awful forum megapost from earlier in this thread:

A calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius. Your body does not literally burn foods like a calorimeter. Different macronutrients (i.e., carbohydrate, fat, and protein) have different effects on hormones, which have different effects on fat storage, and provide different amounts of energy to the body in different ways.

You’ve probably been told weight loss is a simple matter of calories in minus calories out. This was “proven” by citing the First Law of Thermodynamics. You were told wrong. The First Law of Thermodynamics has to do with energy balance in a CLOSED system. Your body is not a closed system, unless you figured out a way to not poop, breathe, sweat, etc. In fact, calories from macronutrients CAN’T be equal since a deficiency of carbs requires your body to convert protein into glucose. That process has a “cost.” To say calories are all equal violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

In short, using the word “calorie” to connote the amount food consumed or amount of energy ingested is clumsy and inaccurate.

Really, the more I look, the more I realize that there really isn't any compelling evidence to support calories in/calories out. It's truly mystifying to me why this concept dominates modern nutrition and diet
mis
information. I guess people really do just like a simple answer, whether it's the truth or not.

Sarye

ipukespiders said:
What?

I know what a calorie is.

what I mean is that if anyone goes on a diet, their carb intake may be the same percentage wise but just by the nature of eating less they are also eating less carbs. I've never heard of anyone going on a diet and actually ingesting more carbs than they did before.

Of course it's technically possible but just speaking in general.

Top Bottom