• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, I've probably dropped 6-8lbs within 2 weeks of starting my less sugar, more healthy foods diet (though I'm still not eating as well as I should be). I figure I might as well post a before picture so I can appreciate the transition.

I'm not crazy obese or anything, but I'm definitely overweight. ~180lbs at 5'8", with very little muscle. From the pic, I've got a bit of chubby face going on.

week3.jpg

Let's do this!

Einbroch said:
I cheated last night. Friend from out of town came to my house last night with a pizza.

I had two slices. Feels bad man. :(

Next time eat 4 slices - but eat the toppings only.
Feed the crust to the birds.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I told my mother I wanted to start learning how to cook so today, she helped me make:

A 12oz steak
Scrambled eggs (4 eggs)
4 pork sausages
A large cooked ham
4 pieces of bacon

I'm in heaven right now.

Einbroch

Banned
Domino Theory said:
I told my mother I wanted to start learning how to cook so today, she helped me make:

A 12oz steak
Scrambled eggs (4 eggs)
4 pork sausages
A large cooked ham
4 pieces of bacon

I'm in heaven right now.
I'm purely teasing you, as it's great that you want to cook, but :lol at "cooking" those things.

<3

Shaneus

I fucking love scrambled eggs. Even though you can cook them in the microwave, just doesn't taste the same as in a frying pan, damnit.

Any idea if I should wash the frying pan for scrambled eggs if they have grease from when I last cooked bacon in it?

Shaneus said:
I fucking love scrambled eggs. Even though you can cook them in the microwave, just doesn't taste the same as in a frying pan, damnit.

Any idea if I should wash the frying pan for scrambled eggs if they have grease from when I last cooked bacon in it?
Use it to make fried eggs. They turn out weird when you try to scramble them in it.

NomarTyme

Making a pot roast right now.... wish I made it earlier! :( freaking filling up on almonds.

Using the oil from the bacon is economical, but I still prefer delicious butter.

Shaneus said:

hell no, use that grease.

Shaneus said:

Just a note, if it's a cast iron frying pan DON'T WASH IT.
Wipe it out with a paper towel after you are all done and have saved the leftover grease in a container for future cooking/drinking.

kikanny said:
When you're in keto, how bad is the breath smell? I kinda wanna do keto...but the possibility that I can get smelly breath is really putting me off.

The breath thing doesn't seem to last forever.

The odor of your piss though... that doesn't go away, even when it's crystal clear.

I see there are a ton of low carbers on here. I have tried the low carb thing a couple of times in my life, and while I lost a good deal of weight, I never got close to being ripped, which leads me to believe I lost more muscle than fat. Just wondering if any of you have gotten there from low carbing.

Shaneus said:

I put the bacon in first, then shortly later the eggs. Only one pan to wash, score!

Also I can proudly say, have never cooked egss in the microwave. And never plan to.

ArachosiA 78 said:
I see there are a ton of low carbers on here. I have tried the low carb thing a couple of times in my life, and while I lost a good deal of weight, I never got close to being ripped, which leads me to believe I lost more muscle than fat. Just wondering if any of you have gotten there from low carbing.

Did you continue to lift hard and get plenty of protein?

NomarTyme

ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm more paleo.... Anyways I agree with ipukespider! you got to lift heavy things and do less cardio if you want to keep your muscle.

My gf is doing low-carb now too and we both like pancakes and she likes to experiment in the kitchen so this all turned into her figuring out a way to make good, natural, low carb pancakes. The secret is almond flour! It's kinda pricey compared to real flour but it winds up creating a pancake just as fluffy and delicious as a real one! And each pancake is only 3g carbs (2g fiber).

saw11s.jpg

I can post the recipe if anyone's interested.

harSon

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
My gf is doing low-carb now too and we both like pancakes and she likes to experiment in the kitchen so this all turned into her figuring out a way to make good, natural, low carb pancakes. The secret is almond flour! It's kinda pricey compared to real flour but it winds up creating a pancake just as fluffy and delicious as a real one! And each pancake is only 3g carbs (2g fiber).

saw11s.jpg

I can post the recipe if anyone's interested.

Please do.

I love eggs, bacon and sausage as much as the next person, but a little variety never killed anyone :)

Toki767 said:
So if I'm trying to lose weight/fat, should I do weights or should I strictly do cardio?

A bit of both.
Heavy lifting helps to burn energy reserves a lot faster, but a good cardio helps increase heart rate as well.

Ettie

Wife and I had our first cheat day since she got on the wagon about two weeks ago. Went to the ole' Cracker Barrel and followed it up with a double dip of Braum's ice cream for a grand total of about 500 carbs each. Weigh in is Tuesday morning, we'll see then if she managed to lose for the week.

She's lost 9 lbs by keeping carbs under 100 and sugar under 10. No other restrictions and zero exercise. She wants to see progress in the mirror, trying to tell her that it doesn't work like that and she'll probably have to hit the 15lbs lost mark before there's any noticeable physical change. However, I've never been a woman, so I don't really know for sure how much it'll take.

Next week we're going to increase our activity level, take some brisk walks a couple of days a week and do some indoor bodyweight exercises. She's doing great so far, am proud.

grumble

Toki767 said:
So if I'm trying to lose weight/fat, should I do weights or should I strictly do cardio?

Both is best, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd say do only weights. You lose weight primarily through diet (unless your exercise is pretty extreme), and weight training helps to ensure that the majority of that weight loss is fat and not muscle.

ON a related note, eat lots of protein. It's both satiating (ie you get full and stay full) and is required to build and maintain muscle. Don't want to lose weight and look like a deflated tire

Ettie said:
Wife and I had our first cheat day since she got on the wagon about two weeks ago. Went to the ole' Cracker Barrel and followed it up with a double dip of Braum's ice cream for a grand total of about 500 carbs each. Weigh in is Tuesday morning, we'll see then if she managed to lose for the week.

She's lost 9 lbs by keeping carbs under 100 and sugar under 10. No other restrictions and zero exercise. She wants to see progress in the mirror, trying to tell her that it doesn't work like that and she'll probably have to hit the 15lbs lost mark before there's any noticeable physical change. However, I've never been a woman, so I don't really know for sure how much it'll take.

Next week we're going to increase our activity level, take some brisk walks a couple of days a week and do some indoor bodyweight exercises. She's doing great so far, am proud.

Usually, a single meal won't break your losses for an entire week, unless you just go insane.

was doing low carb for a week or so and it was going good....until yesterday i engulfed 5 pieces of pizza for dinner:) This is why I still have a chunk of fat on my stomach (5-10 149lbs)

Blackface

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Well, I've probably dropped 6-8lbs within 2 weeks of starting my less sugar, more healthy foods diet (though I'm still not eating as well as I should be). I figure I might as well post a before picture so I can appreciate the transition.

I'm not crazy obese or anything, but I'm definitely overweight. ~180lbs at 5'8", with very little muscle. From the pic, I've got a bit of chubby face going on.

week3.jpg

Let's do this!

start weight training. 180 pounds at 5 foot 8 really isn't significantly over-weight. Even if you don't have tons of muscles, around 168-170 is still a healthy weight. If you eat healthier, and start some basic weight training it would benefit your look more then just a diet alone.

Some people also have genetics where no matter what they do, unless they get really dedicated to weight training, they will always look a bit heavier.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blackface said:
start weight training. 180 pounds at 5 foot 8 really isn't significantly over-weight. Even if you don't have tons of muscles, around 168-170 is still a healthy weight. If you eat healthier, and start some basic weight training it would benefit your look more then just a diet alone.

Some people also have genetics where no matter what they do, unless they get really dedicated to weight training, they will always look a bit heavier.

Yeah I will start weight training for sure. My healthier weight should be closer to 150lbs though. Before the past 3 years or so, I was always a really skinny guy. My metabolism was insane. In 9th grade, I was 5'6" and weighed just over 110lbs. In 12th grade, I was 5'8" and 135lbs. During the summer after my first year of university, I worked at Pepsi, doing moderately heavy manual labour for 8 hours a day. I think this kind of ended up crashing my metabolism, in the end. After I stopped that job, I balooned up over the next year by gaining 30lbs of fat.

Weight training will commence shortly...

Okay, I'm still doing low-carb/keto diet.

The problem is I can't think of any foods that you can go pick up at a casual 'to-go' type of restaurant and then go take it to a park or something without bringing any forks or spoons and making a big mess. Doing keto has been easy so far because it's really easy for me to not dine out. The problem is (not really a problem) that I've started dating again (my ex-wife just will not come around and has lost her goddamned mind).

The only thing I can think of is getting some homestyle chicharrones from a Mexican place, but those are not very sightly.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Okay, I'm still doing low-carb/keto diet.

The problem is I can't think of any foods that you can go pick up at a casual 'to-go' type of restaurant and then go take it to a park or something without bringing any forks or spoons and making a big mess. Doing keto has been easy so far because it's really easy for me to not dine out. The problem is (not really a problem) that I've started dating again (my ex-wife just will not come around and has lost her goddamned mind).

The only thing I can think of is getting some homestyle chicharrones from a Mexican place, but those are not very sightly.

Jimmy Johns on lettuce wraps.
Any place that serves grilled chicken (not KFC though, fuck KFC).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blackface said:

I disagree. You'd have to hit the weights pretty hardcore to not look a bit fat at 170 and 5'8".

I'm 5'11" and 168 or so and still have a good amount of fat around the waist.

I'm aiming to hit around 130 or 140.

Akim said:
I've done Keto, like 5-10g carbs a day and I've never had smelly breath or pee. Is something wrong with me?

Everyone's body reacts differently, so probably not.
Now, if you start smelling almonds a lot, see a doctor.

Top Bottom