• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Zoe

ipukespiders said:
Hey wait a sec, that's me you're making comments about.

Are my legs sticks?
Are my legs sticks considering I'm tall?
Are my legs sticks compared to your ideal?
All of the above?
My legs are bigger than the dis-proportioned guys I see that bench twice what I can.

Sorry, you brought out the tiger in me. Yeah, I don't squat 3 plates, but I do pretty good for my height and weight.
And it was leg day today, so "stick" comments are demotivating (not really).

Go eat a fucking flax muffin :)

IMO, your legs are disproportionate to your top half. I would have expected meatier legs just from looking at your top.

I'm blessed with being born with giant thighs and doing a lot of long nature walks when I was a kid, so my legs are pretty beefy.
I just need to work on my noodle arms now.
:(

Zoe said:
IMO, your legs are disproportionate to your top half. I would have expected meatier legs just from looking at your top.

That's different than saying stick legs. I can only work with what I've been given. I've learned to love working legs, and I hit them as hard as I can.

Shaneus said:
Ah, it was you, spiders? What were your stats again (roughly)?

I like long walks on the beach, shiny objects, and sausages.

I hit 145-150 depending on water retention. 6ft 2 with long legs, and long arms.
Pants are 30" waist (and depending on the brand, loose at that) and 34" inseam.

I was 189 in January, with a 34" waist and my pants were getting to the point that I was thinking, shit, I'm gonna have to move to a 36".

AceBandage said:
I'm blessed with being born with giant thighs and doing a lot of long nature walks when I was a kid, so my legs are pretty beefy.
I just need to work on my noodle arms now.
:(

Isn't there a bicep to calf proportion calculator? I need one of those tailors tapes.

kikanny

If one is just starting a ketogenic diet for the first time, how long should it take to get into ketosis? And is under 30 gm of carbs a good limit?

Akim

Banned
Am I doing this low carb thing right?

XvVRl.jpg

2 Hamburger Pattys with 1 slice of cheese and 2 pieces of bacon in between. 2 pieces of bacon and a fried egg on top. :)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Here has been my routine for the last few weeks

1. Low carb diet(less than 50 grams a day). No processed carbohydrates. Focused on high protein, fiber full vegetables and nonfat yogurt. I try to stay away from high fat foods too.
2. I workout 5 times a week. 3 of those times I do HIIT(High intensity interval training) and the others I do 30 minutes of max incline high resistance cardio.
3. I lift 5 times a week with 2 different daily plans alternating. 12 reps x 3 sets for each exercise.

I just started going to 5 smaller meals instead of 3 to help with metabolism. Also trying out fasted before breakfast cardio(my breakfast is always a protein shake that consists of a serving of fruit, half a cup of nonfat yogurt and protein powder)

Results have been pretty boss. Its not for everyone though it's a lot of work but it works.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Going to try giving up exercise for a week or so to see if I can even stick to simply eating low carb without my willpower faltering. If so, I'll try to ease back into a routine; otherwise... I dunno. Up until now, the combination of both has only managed to stick for 2-3 weeks at a time before I give in to the intense cravings and fall totally off the wagon for a while, leading to serious yo-yo weight loss/gain. Maybe this just isn't for me.

MThanded

ipukespiders said:
Tell me why.
(it's a trap)
Why do I need to eat high fat foods

Here is what my eating regimen consists of

-Chicken breast
-Lean steak
-Brocolli
-string beans
-mustard greens
-Kale
-collards
-Tofu
-protein powder
-non-fat yogurt
-frozen fruit for protein shake
-almonds for a snack

I'm content with this. I also know its more important to know where you get your fats from and less about the amount. A lot of good fat foods out there.

Akim said:
there is no science to this, just sayin
It helps prevent overeating and lessens insulin spikes. That's good enough for me.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
TheExodu5 said:
Wouldn't it result in smaller insulin spikes, and therefore less fat storage?

3 meals > 5-6 meals for body recomposition, fat loss and controlled blood sugar.

If you think about it, it's common sense, really. By having 5-6 meals throughout the day, you're having a shorter period of time between meals which means your insulin levels are staying up for longer periods of time compared to < or = to 3 meals where you have HOURS of downtime in between where your blood sugar isn't high and insulin isn't active.

I have 1 meal a day twice a week, 2 meals w/ a snack here and there the other five days.

MThanded

Domino Theory said:
3 meals > 5-6 meals for body recomposition, fat loss and controlled blood sugar.

If you think about it, it's common sense, really. By having 5-6 meals throughout the day, you're having a shorter period of time between meals which means your insulin levels are staying up for longer periods of time compared to < or = to 3 meals where you have HOURS of downtime in between where your blood sugar isn't high and insulin isn't active.

I have 1 meal a day twice a week, 2 meals w/ a snack here and there the other five days.
Everyone I know personally who has lost or is working on definition eats 5-6 meals a day. Interesting. Could just be a coincidence but they all say before switching the meals up it was not working as well. To each their own I guess.

Heres another one of my buddies

n15201715_30777905_7748+-+Copy.jpg

2220202orig.jpg

4010511.jpg

http://www.unbiasedhealth.com/p/about-dr-o.html

TheExodu5

Banned
Domino Theory said:

But by eating small meals, your insulin doesn't spike as much? I wouldn't say anything is particularly common sense in this case.

MThanded

I lost 30 pounds last summer essentially doing paleo diet and 5 times a week workouts. No 5 meal stuff. I'm willing to try it out for a while. Not saying its the end all be all but a lot of people I know have had increased success when they switch to 5 meals.

TheExodu5

Banned
MThanded said:
I lost 30 pounds last summer essentially doing paleo diet and 5 times a week workouts. No 5 meal stuff. I'm willing to try it out for a while. Not saying its the end all be all but a lot of people I know have had increased success when they switch to 5 meals.

I'm snacking in between meals now...I think it's helping a lot just because I tend to not overeat nearly as much during my main meals.

My snacks still tend to be a bit sugar heavy though...afternoon snack is almonds + a few small squares of 85% dark chocolate. Evening snack is a bowl of raspberries. I need healthy veggies that I can easily munch on raw...

The whole 5-6 meals a day thing worked really well for me at first, when I was still trying to get my constant cravings in check.

But once my body adjusted and I was no longer constantly craving food, I went back to 2-3 meals a day.

MThanded

TheExodu5 said:
I'm snacking in between meals now...I think it's helping a lot just because I tend to not overeat nearly as much during my main meals.

My snacks still tend to be a bit sugar heavy though...afternoon snack is almonds + a few small squares of 85% dark chocolate. Evening snack is a bowl of raspberries. I need healthy veggies that I can easily munch on raw...

I keep a tub of steamed broccoli in the fridge usually. I go through a costco sized bag of broccoli a week.

Shaneus

kikanny said:
If one is just starting a ketogenic diet for the first time, how long should it take to get into ketosis? And is under 30 gm of carbs a good limit?
Give it 4-5 days of <20g. I think 30 might be okay, but just to be safe, shoot for 20. You'll feel lethargic and pretty out of it for a week or two, but if you supplement with fish oil and multivitamins it should negate some of that. After that period, you'll actually feel *more* energetic, despite having minimal carbs. Yay keto!

So guys, I think I'm at a point where I should start actively exercising (as opposed to my brisk lunchtime walks). Where should I start? I'm thinking the basics... doorway pushups (I occasionally do these anyway, great for opening your chest out and pushing shoulders back), crunches/situps and bicep curls. Anything else that can be done around the home?

I think the difference between lots of small meals and fewer large meals would be pretty minimal either way.
Your body is still consuming roughly the same energy in both cases, just in different intervals.
The biggest deciding factor here would probably be activity. If you are at an inactive job or don't get regular exercise, lots of smaller meals would probably be bad, since you're just consuming energy when you don't need it.

Shaneus said:
Give it 4-5 days of <20g. I think 30 might be okay, but just to be safe, shoot for 20. You'll feel lethargic and pretty out of it for a week or two, but if you supplement with fish oil and multivitamins it should negate some of that. After that period, you'll actually feel *more* energetic, despite having minimal carbs. Yay keto!

So guys, I think I'm at a point where I should start actively exercising (as opposed to my brisk lunchtime walks). Where should I start? I'm thinking the basics... doorway pushups (I occasionally do these anyway, great for opening your chest out and pushing shoulders back), crunches/situps and bicep curls. Anything else that can be done around the home?

You can get a chin up bar pretty cheap. Kettle Balls are also good since they allow for a pretty large range of cardio.

Shaneus

AceBandage said:
You can get a chin up bar pretty cheap. Kettle Balls are also good since they allow for a pretty large range of cardio.
I have one of those chin up bars but my arms are weaksauce. I'll start using it once I get some upper body strength happening, though.

MThanded

To each their own. All the people I know who have switched meals during their plans have had increased success.

Shaneus said:
I have one of those chin up bars but my arms are weaksauce. I'll start using it once I get some upper body strength happening, though.

In that case, pushups and crunches are probably your best bet.
You can probably do other light cardio like shadowboxing as well.
I know it took me a while before I was able to do pullups, but this is actually perfect.
If you start doing pushups when you're heavier, you actually gain more strength since that's more weight.

MThanded said:
To each their own. All the people I know who have switched meals during their plans have had increased success.

Probably has more to do with not feeling as hungry throughout the day, causing you to overeat when you do have a meal.
I like to snack on stuff when I'm home, though I think it's more out of boredom than anything.
=/

Woohoo!

Found a good walking route where I work. It takes about 45 minutes and involves lots of moving between floors and stair usage.

I can get a nice sweat going if I push, but I try to keep below boiling since I'm at work and don't want to become onion guy.

I'm going to do some more exploring and see what floors I can access without keys / clearance and extend it.

Feels good man.

MThanded

AceBandage said:
Probably has more to do with not feeling as hungry throughout the day, causing you to overeat when you do have a meal.
I like to snack on stuff when I'm home, though I think it's more out of boredom than anything.
=/

Personally the way I prevent that is buy not buying any foods that are really bad snackable foods. Especially foods I know I like a lot.

TheExodu5

Banned
ch0mp said:
Smaller spikes more often.

Well that's what I mean. Logically, you'd think it would equal the same thing in the end. It depends if insulin spiking vs food consumed is a linear relationship or not.

Had a checkup with my doctor today. My BP was 120/70 which is the best it's ever been by far, I used to be borderline high for a long time. Getting my bloodwork soon, keen to see how my lipids are!

FWIW my doc definitely approves of low-carb, he said it's a great diet to live by. The only warning he gave was to avoid eating bacon with nitrates because of the cancer risk. My local market sells organic bacon without nitrates, I think I'm gonna switch to that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I had these last week and I thought they were pretty good:

package-snapea-original.jpg

Serving Size 1oz (28g/about 22 pieces)
Calories 150
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 125mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 14g 5%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars less than 1g
Protein 5g

Surprising amount of protein. Still not carb light, but not a terrible snack.

oatmeal

Banned
Buckethead said:
I had those a month ago, I did not care for them.

Tasted like Munch-Em's without that nice grease taste.

I enjoy them. The serving size is massive (68 pieces, i usually have 38 (1 cup) and call it a day).

Great snack to munch on like chips.

Xelinis

Akim said:
Am I doing this low carb thing right?

XvVRl.jpg

2 Hamburger Pattys with 1 slice of cheese and 2 pieces of bacon in between. 2 pieces of bacon and a fried egg on top. :)

You make Low-Carb-GAF proud.

Shaneus

Does anyone have a good hamburger recipe that tastes really nice? I think I'm officially over buying the pre-made ones from my butcher and want something that tastes nice, not something that skimps on flavour by keeping the carbs down.

For some reason I think I've heard soy sauce is good? I have some garlic and chili flakes I can add as well, but if there's something I can use to sweeten the meat up a bit without carbing the fuck out of it, that would be awesome.

jts

...hate me...
Hi guys, long time no see!

I've been on a bit of a plateau lately, but it's more like a slow descent than anything else, really. Currently @ 74kg (163lbs). Goal is 150lbs, started at 225 on the Jan 1st.

I'm no longer obsessed with checking my weight daily and I don't fret if I'm with friends and take a meal that I shouldn't. I'm already comfortably below the BMI limit that defines my weight as normal.

Fucking old clothes fit again, I look younger and better than I have in the last 4/5 years. I just feel great overall.

I don't want to feel like I did it already, because there are still ways to go to reach my goal weight and lose the small gut I have, plus I want some body recomp. But yeah :)

Hugs guys, thank you all and keep going strong. This thread was life changing for me!

Shaneus said:

Try supporting your legs on a chair or stool for some assisted pull ups, they definitely help.

Zinga

Banned
Put on weight during the school holidays (one of the downsides of being a teacher...) so jumping in this thread to lose a few kilos and for moral support to keep me going. Lost nearly 20 kilos last year and got myself fit by going to the gym 3 times a week, so my confidence is pretty low atm due to slipping and putting on weight again, but I know once I get some success again I will feel much better about myself.

Weight: 80kg
Goal: 74kg

Wish me luck guys :)

Shaneus said:
Does anyone have a good hamburger recipe that tastes really nice? I think I'm officially over buying the pre-made ones from my butcher and want something that tastes nice, not something that skimps on flavour by keeping the carbs down.

For some reason I think I've heard soy sauce is good? I have some garlic and chili flakes I can add as well, but if there's something I can use to sweeten the meat up a bit without carbing the fuck out of it, that would be awesome.

Blue Cheese + Worcestershire Sauce.

Top Bottom