• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

AceBandage said:
Wait, what.
That was the oddest analogy I've ever heard...

muahahaha

Ettie said:
Besides the double-down and KFC grilled, are there any fast food options the LC folks consider a go-to? Any burger without the bun is a given, but what else you got?

Eat the toppings off of the pizza.

Ettie said:
They fade and get less noticeable over time, provided you lose enough fat to get rid of the bulge. When they bulge the color change is apparent from the inside to the outside of the mark. AFAIK, there is no corrective measure for stretch marks once they aren't red anymore. The blood is out of them at that point, making any change difficult. They're more like scars by then.

Besides the double-down and KFC grilled, are there any fast food options the LC folks consider a go-to? Any burger without the bun is a given, but what else you got?

Jimmy John's makes lettuce wraps.

TheExodu5

Banned
Domino Theory said:
So how much fructose is too much/detrimental to health? I'm talking fructose from fruits and agave nectar, not HFCS or anything.

From fruits? It would be hard to take in a lot. Fruits aren't all that high in fructose, most of the time.

Agave nectar? Wouldn't take much at all. There's no real redeeming value to it, besides being used to make certain foods palatable (like plain yogurt, which I just can't eat).

I mean, when you consider that it would take about 3-4 pints of raspberries to make up the sugar in a single can of Coke, not to mention the fact that those raspberries come with more fiber than sugar (which will help in digesting slower and make insulin not spike as much), you're looking pretty good. You'd only want to avoid fruit if you're on a keto diet, IMO.

Domino Theory said:
So how much fructose is too much/detrimental to health? I'm talking fructose from fruits and agave nectar, not HFCS or anything.

Natural sugars are really quite good for you.
Maybe not in terms of weight loss, but they do help to keep your blood sugar levels stable and normal.
I mean, outside of the normal "Too much of anything is a bad thing." there really is no set number.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
Har! I hope you enjoy eating wood!

I'm not following this one. You can eat pretty much anything on WW, it's all about portion control.

TheExodu5

Banned
AceBandage said:
Natural sugars are really quite good for you.

As long as you count natural sugars as naturally occurring in foods with lots of fiber. That's where the agave nectar fails, since it has all the fiber taken out. It's concentrated sugar.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I'm not following this one. You can eat pretty much anything on WW, it's all about portion control.

He's talking about this.

TheExodu5 said:
As long as you count natural sugars as naturally occurring in foods with lots of fiber. That's where the agave nectar fails, since it has all the fiber taken out. It's concentrated sugar.

I'm not completely familiar with the stuff itself. I never have had need to use it.

Mobius 1

I did a reset/shake diet last week and I'm feeling great. Lost 11 pounds from Monday to Friday, and I'm now back on a regular diet, watching my calories intake. Rebounded 3 pounds as expected, but they're dropping in at a healthy rate.

Thanks for sharing the info on the OP. I will post a pic of shame soon for comparison in a few months.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
He's talking about this.

I'm not completely familiar with the stuff itself. I never have had need to use it.

Ohhh, thanks. I'm not going to buy any of their products, just the cookbooks and meal plan. I can make my own healthy snacks.(wood free)

TheExodu5

Banned
AceBandage said:

It's the equivalent of honey, or maple syrup. It's just used to sweeten stuff. If you're not on a keto diet, I assume it's fine in very small quantities.

Still, you need to keep in mind that maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, and table sugar are going to have as much fructose in a single tablespoon as you'll find in 2-3 servings of fruit.

Try to avoid as best as possible.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I ate too many carbs today, I feel bleeeeaaagh

Happened to me with bread last weekend. My dad brought home a loaf of fresh bread, and I couldn't resist. "Just one piece!". 4 pieces later, I was still starved, and yet I felt disgusted. 600 calories of nothing.

It's so brutally obvious the difference in "filling factor" in between carbs and protein/fat. My little 400 calorie protein/milk/flax/banana shake fills me up and feels satisfying. Those 4 pieces of bread felt like an appetizer.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Xelinis said:
What about low-carb didn't work for you? Was there minimal weight loss or did you just not find the diet sustainable?

I have to have some carbs. I felt worthless and sluggish going no carbs. I will certainly do reduced carbs though.

TheExodu5

Banned
WinoMcCougarstein said:
I have to have some carbs. I felt worthless and sluggish going no carbs. I will certainly do reduced carbs though.

Yeah definitely reduce them.

I need carbs. I'm not at a point where I'd be able to cut them out completely...that's just too tough for me. I've found a happy medium, where I've eliminated bread, potatoes, and sugar, and it's been working out nicely.

Seriously though, you will need to cut out bread and potatoes regardless. It's far too easy to eat up tons of calories worth of these empty carbs and feel hungry.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
NomarTyme said:
Sweet potatoes/yams.

I love baked sweet potato fries!

TheExodu5 said:
How about cauliflower? Cauliflower + cheese sounds like a delicious alternative that I think would satisfy my potato cravings.

When I was trying Atkins I had a great roasted cauliflower recipe. There was also a really good cauliflower puree that was about as close to mashed potatoes as possible.

NomarTyme said:
Sweet potatoes/yams.

Blueberries.

Seriously, they're like... the greatest thing ever. Both from a taste standpoint and a nutritional one.

TheExodu5 said:
How about cauliflower? Cauliflower + cheese sounds like a delicious alternative that I think would satisfy my potato cravings.

Steam and mash it with some garlic. It's DELICIOUS!

TheExodu5

Banned
WinoMcCougarstein said:

Sweet potato fries are awesome! Just make sure to keep the portion small. Also, I suggest putting some cayenne pepper on these. Spicing up your foods will make it easier to eat smaller portions.

AceBandage said:

I've gotta try that.

NomarTyme

TheExodu5 said:
Cauliflower is good. I use it as a rice substitute or to make pizza.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Me too but I hopes its NOT with some shitty seed/veggie oil....

AceBandage said:
Blueberries.

Seriously, they're like... the greatest thing ever. Both from a taste standpoint and a nutritional one.

Are you talking about blueberries itself? or with the sweet potatoes/yam?

NomarTyme

AceBandage said:
By themselves, of course.
Nothing better than summer blueberries if you need a sugary fix.
Oh. I haven't done this in a while but I sometimes make myself a coconut smoothies. Coconut milk, mix berries, whey protein powder, couple of egg yolks, and a touch of cinnamon.

TheExodu5

Banned
I bought some Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese in individual snack sized portions. They're little 21g portions, vacuum wrapped. Makes for a great snack when I just need something small to satisfy a craving.

NomarTyme

TheExodu5 said:
I bought some Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese in individual snack sized portions. They're little 21g portions, vacuum wrapped. Makes for a great snack when I just need something small to satisfy a craving.
I wouldn't go so crazy on cheese. It can stall your weight loss.

Xelinis

WinoMcCougarstein said:

How long did you attempt this? It usually takes a few days to establish ketosis, and up to two weeks to fully adapt. Once I'm in full scale ketosis, I actually have tons of energy.

sasimirobot

I am 6'3" and was topping out at 205lbs (mosly gut), in the past month I lost 8 pounds. Live in China so here is my current diet/exercise routine.

NO:
noodles
rice
soft drinks

YES:
meat on sticks
smoothies
beer

Exercise:
Ride my bike at least 5 hours/week
Gym Weights 3 times week (noob style don't really car too much about it and can't get into gym "culture")

So as you can see its not really that hard and I would consider my self "super lazy"...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Xelinis said:
How long did you attempt this? It usually takes a few days to establish ketosis, and up to two weeks to fully adapt. Once I'm in full scale ketosis, I actually have tons of energy.

I've tried it multiple times now, I've gone the 3 weeks once and 2 weeks twice. It just doesn't seem normal to me and is definitely not a diet that I can do long term.

NomarTyme

TheExodu5 said:
Um. That doesn't say cheese is unhealthy...

I see no reason why cheese would be bad. Just eat it in moderation.

The cheese I was talking about is just regular cheddar cheese, btw.
I didn't say cheese is unhealthy... just saying if your weight loss stalls, you might consider eliminating cheese for awhile and then reintroducing back to your diet.

Xelinis

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I've tried it multiple times now, I've gone the 3 weeks once and 2 weeks twice. It just doesn't seem normal to me and is definitely not a diet that I can do long term.

I've honestly never heard of anyone having that much trouble establishing ketosis before. Can you give me an example of the kinds of things you'd eat each time you tried? Do you have a sample food log for one of these days?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Xelinis said:
I've honestly never heard of anyone having that much trouble establishing ketosis before. Can you give me an example of the kinds of things you'd eat each time you tried? Do you have a sample food log for one of these days?

Jesus man, the diet isn't for me. Why do you care so much?

Xelinis

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Jesus man, the diet isn't for me. Why do you care so much?

No, I'm just genuinely interested here. Everyone I've ever met who has attempted this diet would usually come out bursting with energy within three to four days, no exceptions. Some of these friends would come off the diet due to being unable to sustain the restrictive nature of it, but energy was never an issue aside from those first few days.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just lost my 50th pound. My diet consists of 130-150g of protein, 100-150g of carbs, and 50-70g of fat daily.

Love my carbs.

TheExodu5

Banned
I found out I can get 1/4 roasted chicken for $3.49 at the grocery store right beside my work. Add on a $3 greek salad, and a small packet of olive oil dressing (~15ml, 9g of fat or so), and I think I've found a decent quick fix meal at lunch. Not as good as grilled chicken breast + steamed broccoli, but not too bad, I think.

You know what gets rid of that bloated feeling? I like to hit up the gym and get in a solid workout. I end up feeling a lot better.

woo woo woo you know it.

Anybody eating black soy beans? I'm eating the Eden brand no salt added 8 grams of carbs and 7 grams of fiber in a half cup. I like making Mexican 'rice' with it and grated cauliflower.

Any other ideas for low carb high fiber foods? My pooping is not very satisfying.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright...I need to eat breakfast earlier. Had my shake at 9:30ish, and I definitely couldn't finish the salad and chicken just now. Ate the salad, but I could only eat a bit of the chicken. I guess I'll finish it later this afternoon.

JoeBoy101

Question for the thread: On Low Carb, how low we talking here? My consumption is pretty small with my breakfast bars giving me 24g and a small serving of mashed taters with my peas and chicken breast for dinner (dunno the grams off the top of my head). I'm looking about getting the potatoes out with something else in their place, but want to get a better idea of a good threshold. I'd like to do rice, if possible.

And at the moment, no, I don't want to do no carb (at least not yet). When fighting sleep apnea, you need some short term sugars to keep you going. When I plateau, I shall re-evaluate then (and hopefully the apnea will be better as well).

EDIT: Nevermind. Found this.

TheExodu5 said:
Alright...I need to eat breakfast earlier. Had my shake at 9:30ish, and I definitely couldn't finish the salad and chicken just now. Ate the salad, but I could only eat a bit of the chicken. I guess I'll finish it later this afternoon.

Do you work a late shift or just get up late?
If it's the later, I'd seriously suggest waking up earlier. It's better for you.

JoeBoy101 said:
Question for the thread: On Low Carb, how low we talking here? My consumption is pretty small with my breakfast bars giving me 24g and a small serving of mashed taters with my peas and chicken breast for dinner (dunno the grams off the top of my head). I'm looking about getting the potatoes out with something else in their place, but want to get a better idea of a good threshold. I'd like to do rice, if possible.

And at the moment, no, I don't want to do no carb (at least not yet). When fighting sleep apnea, you need some short term sugars to keep you going. When I plateau, I shall re-evaluate then (and hopefully the apnea will be better as well).

EDIT: Nevermind. Found this.

Basically, it really depends on your goals, but anything less than 100g a day will likely lead to weight loss.

Also, I'd really suggest cutting out the breakfast bar (it's full of sugar, I'm sure) and the potatoes, but that's just me.
:p

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried mashed cauliflower. Very tasty. Don't see myself needing to go back to potatoes anytime soon.

Anyways, cheat day tomorrow! I'm either going to do a meatball sub, poutine, or spaghetti...hmmmm.

Oh, and aside from that, down a notch in my belt since I started 3 weeks ago. I'm going to need a new belt soon...I'm on my last notch. Feels good!

Top Bottom