• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Before i started my weight loss plan my blood results showed that i might have a underactive thyroid.. the doctor was hesitant to provide a 15mg prescription because im 22... but in the end she did.. so i started the plan and from August 21st to Dec 16th i lost over 20 pounds. in January i was at 248 i worked out so much since then.. stayed away from the soda, didn't eat late etc and i lost only 8 pounds in 6 months! i visited my doctor a week ago and requested a full blood test... still waiting on the results

my older brother also lost weight he was at 250 when he began now hes at 200...

whitehawk

Banned
MThanded said:
Here is the site of a buddy of mine. http://www.jimgetsslim.com/?page_id=29

I am doing a very similar routine and I would say the results are pretty in line with it. Amazing stuff he went from this

img_0008-300x225.jpg

to this in 52 weeks.

001-225x300.jpg

I am seeing amazing results on a very similar plan.
Thanks for the link. I'm not fat, but I'm going to try some of his workout ideas to get in shape. I like this one:

HiitWorkout30secB.gif

Kraftwerk

Goddamn!

I bought a pair of Underarmour compression shirt and shorts and went for my nightly 1 hour bike ride. I think I dropped a pound just because of the shirt. Felt very cool/breezy and my muscles feel amazing.

Had my very first avocado. I don't know if I will buy more. They have a... hmmm... creamy wet clay like texture? I don't really know how to describe it. Unlike any food I've ever had before. What do they taste like? I guess they taste like avocados. Weird food, but damn good for you. Maybe I need to eat them mixed with something (I just spooned it out and ate it that way).
Suggestions?

Einbroch

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Had my very first avocado. I don't know if I will buy more. They have a... hmmm... creamy wet clay like texture? I don't really know how to describe it. Unlike any food I've ever had before. What do they taste like? I guess they taste like avocados. Weird food, but damn good for you. Maybe I need to eat them mixed with something (I just spooned it out and ate it that way).
Suggestions?
I HATE avocados. They just aren't for me, at all. It's just a weird flavor with an unpleasant texture.

ipukespiders said:
Suggestions?

Make guacamole out of 'em. You can buy the seasoning packets...but I know they're loaded with sodium and probably some other bad stuff. But there's gotta be healthy way to make guacamole.

Cheated on my diet today going out on a date and not wanting to look weird by ordering something bizarre like a burger with no bun.

Ate around 50g of carbs.

It'll probably knock me out of ketosis... blah... hopefully induction won't take very long since I didn't go overboard.

How many carbs on average does it take to knock someone out of ketosis or is it something that varies drastically from person to person.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Make guacamole out of 'em. You can buy the seasoning packets...but I know they're loaded with sodium and probably some other bad stuff. But there's gotta be healthy way to make guacamole.

Salt
Lime Juice
Tomato
Red Onion

Dice it all up and mix it.
Bam, you have a great guacamole mix.

Grilled avocado is also awesome on burgers. Personally, I like eating them raw with Shrimp as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Down 20 pounds in 2 months.

Which is great but I was at this weight last year and got injured earlier this year which was a set back.

Funny thing is, my body is a lot better at this weight since I have been lifting regularly while losing weight.

Still have a long way to go but I am happy with my progress.

High Intensity interval training!!!! Believe!!!!!

whitehawk said:
Thanks for the link. I'm not fat, but I'm going to try some of his workout ideas to get in shape. I like this one:

HiitWorkout30secB.gif
I interval train three days a week on the elliptica. Standard cardio the other days.

5 minute warm up
1 minute high intensity/1 minute medium intensity <- 10 reps
5 minute cool down.

spicy cho

ipukespiders said:
Suggestions?
One of my fav things to do is fry up some bacon then slice up an avocado into chunks and fry it up in the bacon fat. very tasty!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, posted in the Fitness thread but I need to lose weight so I wanted to get input from you all.

I am 6' and 220 lbs with a slightly bigger body type, you can't tell I'm overweight if you see me normally, but I have one of those fun spare tires. I want to weigh around 190 or 185. My eating is what I am trying to nail down now, I like to have a set schedule for what I eat during the week.

Right now it is:
Breakfast: Greek Yogurt
Snack: Almonds
Lunch: Salad (1/3 of one of those packs with everything in it) & a banana usually.
Dinner: Chicken breast & bag of steamed veggies or eggs and turkey bacon.

My workouts now is the Couch to 5k, so I am running 3 days a week.

I know my eating isn't what it needs to be as I need more calories per day to get to the recommended amount, but I want to make sure it is healthy.

With my eating, and running 3 days a week do you all think that will drop my weight decently quick?

abuC

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright, posted in the Fitness thread but I need to lose weight so I wanted to get input from you all.

I am 6' and 220 lbs with a slightly bigger body type, you can't tell I'm overweight if you see me normally, but I have one of those fun spare tires. I want to weigh around 190 or 185. My eating is what I am trying to nail down now, I like to have a set schedule for what I eat during the week.

Right now it is:
Lunch: Salad (1/3 of one of those packs with everything in it) & a banana usually.

I know my eating isn't what it needs to be as I need more calories per day to get to the recommended amount, but I want to make sure it is healthy.

With my eating, and running 3 days a week do you all think that will drop my weight decently quick?
With that diet you'll probably drop weight quickly but I can't imagine it staying off. I lost 10lbs in a month, and my diet was basically:

Breakfast - 4 eggs, turkey bacon or oats
Lunch - half a whole wheat chicken breast wrap / salad
Dinner - chicken / steak etc

With a mix of yogurt and protein shakes between meals.

Deadly Cyclone said:

Right now it is:

Other folks in here will probably tell you to cut the Greek yogurt as it contains sugar, but I lost weight and have kept if off for the last couple years eating two of the big containers a week. It has a lot of protein to go along with the sugar and satiates my sweet tooth.

Almonds have been a great snack for me when at work or on the go. If you stick a can of peanuts or cashews in front of me I will eat the entire damn thing, but there's something in the texture and taste of almonds that allow me to hold back.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Domino Theory said:
  • Use olive and coconut oil ONLY when cooking.
  • Lift free weights; do low intensity cardio
  • Eat a lot of animal fat.
  • Avoid anything with flour (limit daily carb intake to <50g for a few months if you can; <100g if you can't handle <50g)
  • Have more protein than usual.
  • Cut out any and all food containing any vegetable oil (safflower, sunflower, palm, canolia, peanut, vegetable).
  • Avoid anything with partially hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup.
  • Do not buy any low-fat/fat-free products (unless you need it for quick absorption post workout which is another story).
  • Limit intake of nuts.
  • No soda of any kind, no fruit juice of any kind. Your drinks should be water, coffee and tea only.

Supplements (optional, but recommended):

• Vitamin D3 5,000IU daily (NOW Foods is the best brand, imo)
  • Magnesium Citrate 400mg daily (credit to teh_pwn for this. Oh and take it before bed for better sleep)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Carlson's Fish Oil (credit to teh_pwn for this)

Sit back and enjoy the weight fly off of you. I know where you've been, dude. I was only 17 years old when I was 320 pounds. It was horrible. Do the bulleted, keep coming back here or going to your friends and family for constant support and I promise you, you will lose the weight and feel fucking great.

Alright this basically hits the nail on the head for me, great advice here. I only need to lose about 35 pounds, but I have no idea how to eat.

Domino, what do you usually eat for meals? What do you take to work (if you work) for lunch? What about snacks? Right now I am eating healthier but only getting like 1000 calories a day. I started to do low cal recently too and switched from sandwiches every day for lunch to salads, far less pasta (I really love pasta though), and generally just eat (as posted above) chicken/veggies for dinner.

I need some good, cheap recipes for this type of plan that I can eat every week and not break the bank or get tired of.

Yasae

Banned
AceBandage said:
Salt
Lime Juice
Tomato
Red Onion

Dice it all up and mix it.
Bam, you have a great guacamole mix.

Grilled avocado is also awesome on burgers. Personally, I like eating them raw with Shrimp as well.
No cumin?

TheExodu5

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Suggestions?

Cupe up the avocados. Mix with cottage cheese. Salt + pepper. A tiny bit of Miracle Whip if you want a bit of tang in there (though obviously avoid this if you're on a ketogenic diet).

Very healthy, and extremely tasty.

reggieandTFE said:
Other folks in here will probably tell you to cut the Greek yogurt as it contains sugar, but I lost weight and have kept if off for the last couple years eating two of the big containers a week. It has a lot of protein to go along with the sugar and satiates my sweet tooth.

I can get honeyed greek yogurt which contains like 8g of sugar per 175ml. Not too bad.

I can't eat plain greek yogurt on its own. Too sour. Would probably go well with some beef + olive oil, though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright this basically hits the nail on the head for me, great advice here. I only need to lose about 35 pounds, but I have no idea how to eat.

Domino, what do you usually eat for meals? What do you take to work (if you work) for lunch? What about snacks? Right now I am eating healthier but only getting like 1000 calories a day. I started to do low cal recently too and switched from sandwiches every day for lunch to salads, far less pasta (I really love pasta though), and generally just eat (as posted above) chicken/veggies for dinner.

I need some good, cheap recipes for this type of plan that I can eat every week and not break the bank or get tired of.

My meals are pretty small. 1-2 at the most so that allows me to pack on the calories for each meal and go crazy. They mostly consist of chicken with steamed veggies, ground beef with cheese, steaks with bacon and eggs and sausages.

Not many snacks, but when I do have them, it's Raspberries, Blueberries, NewTree Dark Chocolate from Whole Foods and ThinkThin protein bar (rarely).

1000 calories is way too low, man. You'll be losing a lot of muscle with that deficit.

TheExodu5

Banned
harSon said:
Does anyone have a recipe for a low-carb bread I can use for a sandwhich?

I think you'll be looking for flax bread recipes.

BTW, if you guys can find Equity dark chocolate (85%), buy it! It's ridiculously good. Best I've had so far.

ipukespiders said:
Suggestions?
I just cut in half, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and eat. Delicious

NomarTyme

ch0mp said:
MDA has a good article on olive oil. Draw your own conclusions. Personally I cook with ghee or coconut oil, depending on what flavour I'm after.
Yeah forgot to put that guide on my original post. Great guide.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright...got my new breakfast. I wasn't so keen on oatmeal + yogurt + fruit, so I figured I'd try something else. Tried making a shake with:

Peanut butter + chocolate whey protein isolate (27g protein, 1g carbs)
1 cup 2% milk
1.5tbps flax seed (grounded)
1 banana

I just mash the banana, put everything in a shaker, and it makes a delicious and filling breakfast shake that seems to have a lot of nutrients that I'd want.

Yay or nay? Anything missing?

ch0mp

I'm not sure of your objective.. but you can drop that in water weight in a few days with low carb. Doesn't really mean anything though.

Speaking of plain Greek yogurt, what is the sugar that's contained inside it? I see that there isn't any added sugar in the ingredients, so is it the lactose from the milk?

NobleXenon said:
Speaking of plain Greek yogurt, what is the sugar that's contained inside it? I see that there isn't any added sugar in the ingredients, so is it the lactose from the milk?

It's lactose, but much of that has been consumed by the bacteria, so it's even lower in sugar than the label indicates.

harSon said:
OMG, tell you girlfriend that she's awesome. Just made these this morning, and while they have a different texture than regular pancakes, they're legitimately good. They actually taste damn good without syrup!
Glad you like them too! I love the texture, can't wait to have them again this weekend!

Price Dalton said:
It's lactose, but much of that has been consumed by the bacteria, so it's even lower in sugar than the label indicates.

Thanks for the answer. I'd rather have lactose than sucrose. My reaction to Stevia has subsided, so I usually put a packet of that in a bowl of Greek yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of heavy whipping creme to thin it up a bit.

TheExodu5 said:
Alright...got my new breakfast. I wasn't so keen on oatmeal + yogurt + fruit, so I figured I'd try something else. Tried making a shake with:

Peanut butter + chocolate whey protein isolate (27g protein, 1g carbs)
1 cup 2% milk
1.5tbps flax seed (grounded)
1 banana

I just mash the banana, put everything in a shaker, and it makes a delicious and filling breakfast shake that seems to have a lot of nutrients that I'd want.

Yay or nay? Anything missing?

Here's what I would do:
Use whole milk, drop the banana (too much sugar) and use berries instead. Like the flax.
Or I would just have bacon and eggs instead.

abuC

Im out riding my bike right now, just stopped for a water break, gone about 8 miles and it'll take me another 8 to get back. That's double what I did last time, only thing stopping from riding further is the assault my seat is giving me.

TheExodu5

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Here's what I would do:
Use whole milk, drop the banana (too much sugar) and use berries instead. Like the flax.
Or I would just have bacon and eggs instead.

I'm not doing keto, just <100g carbs.

My carb intake will come from 2-3 servings of fruit, a tiny bit of dark chocolate, and the occasional other carb (almost, small pita, etc...).

Gary Whitta said:
Glad you like them too! I love the texture, can't wait to have them again this weekend!

I liked them, except there was waaaaaay too much Stevia in that recipe. I could taste the Stevia for a full hour after I ate a single pancake. I'm probably going to cut it out entirely next time, and just put a bit of peanut butter on top...though the calories are going to be getting through the roof at that point.

MiDNiGHTS said:
Is there anything you guys do for stretch marks? I've heard about stuff like cocoa butter but I doubt it really works.

I'm not sure there's anything that can be done for them. Cocoa butter won't have any effect. I've heard of different laser treatments, but I don't know if they work. They'll fade on their own eventually going from reddish to silvery white.

Nelo Ice

Banned
anyone kno where to get a good cheap vegetable steamer? kinda OT but i figured this was the best place to ask since i figure most of u guys are eating veggies/steamed veggies

MiDNiGHTS said:
Is there anything you guys do for stretch marks? I've heard about stuff like cocoa butter but I doubt it really works.

Outside of surgery, you can't get rid of them all together.
However:

300.JPG

This really helps to minimize them. I've been using it for a few months and they look worlds better.

Nelo Ice said:
anyone kno where to get a good cheap vegetable steamer? kinda OT but i figured this was the best place to ask since i figure most of u guys are eating veggies/steamed veggies

Any good rice cooker will do the job.
You can get them for like $20.

Xelinis

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I've tried low carb, doesn't work for me so I'll be doing Weight Watchers.

What about low-carb didn't work for you? Was there minimal weight loss or did you just not find the diet sustainable?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WinoMcCougarstein said:
Alright, I'm throwing my hat in this thread. I'm at about 250 right now and I would like to get down to 190-200. I'm 6'2 and will be getting married in April so I guess that is my goal date. I've tried low carb, doesn't work for me so I'll be doing Weight Watchers.

Har! I hope you enjoy eating wood!

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Alright, I'm throwing my hat in this thread. I'm at about 250 right now and I would like to get down to 190-200. I'm 6'2 and will be getting married in April so I guess that is my goal date. I've tried low carb, doesn't work for me so I'll be doing Weight Watchers.

Good luck.
I like how you put up a picture before hand.
I'm a cable guy and when I'm repairing wiring I like to look at the customer, grab the old coax and cut it in front of them, and say "Well, now I have to fix it."

That's commitment dude!

ipukespiders said:
Good luck.
I like how you put up a picture before hand.
I'm a cable guy and when I'm repairing wiring I like to look at the customer, grab the old coax and cut it in front of them, and say "Well, now I have to fix it."

That's commitment dude!

Wait, what.
That was the oddest analogy I've ever heard...

Ettie

MiDNiGHTS said:

They fade and get less noticeable over time, provided you lose enough fat to get rid of the bulge. When they bulge the color change is apparent from the inside to the outside of the mark. AFAIK, there is no corrective measure for stretch marks once they aren't red anymore. The blood is out of them at that point, making any change difficult. They're more like scars by then.

Besides the double-down and KFC grilled, are there any fast food options the LC folks consider a go-to? Any burger without the bun is a given, but what else you got?

Top Bottom