• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Meier said:
I pretty much haven't lost a pound in about 7 weeks of going to the gym and eating somewhat better (went from 1-2 sodas a day to 2-3 a week at most, eating less junk food). I definitely have a flatter stomach at the top and you can make out my ribs again but the damn belly/spare tire just won't go away! I don't really care that much and I'm sure part of the reason my weight has stayed the same is muscle gain but it's a bit frustrating.

I am 5'10 and 160 pounds.

You are prolly skinny fat. Focus on getting stronger and building some muscle.

Meier said:
I pretty much haven't lost a pound in about 7 weeks of going to the gym and eating somewhat better (went from 1-2 sodas a day to 2-3 a week at most, eating less junk food). I definitely have a flatter stomach at the top and you can make out my ribs again but the damn belly/spare tire just won't go away! I don't really care that much and I'm sure part of the reason my weight has stayed the same is muscle gain but it's a bit frustrating.

I am 5'10 and 160 pounds.

The following will be obvious, but very true:

It would be much better if you drank no soda at all. Additionally, remember that people store fat in different ways. I pretty much had a flat stomach even at my highest weight, but I had a lot of excess fat around my neck, ass, and hips. I hold weight like a middle-aged menopausal woman. You probably store fat more in your stomach. Try to avoid sugar and keep your carbs very low and you should see progress.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
noire said:
I take salads.

Cheese, nuts eggs or tuna/chicken.

The first two will be the best if you're looking to pump your caloric intake up.

What are you guys looking for out of weekend meals? I find the weekends easy because I can grill like a mo-fo. Simple, easy and delicious.

grilled meat and steamed vegetables
spaghetti squash with a no-sugar added sauce
lettuce wrapped burgers or sandwhiches

Well see here is my issue, the type of stuff listed is what I eat during the week, and for some reason my stupid habit-filled brain gets to Friday night and says "I'm tired of everything in my fridge" so I go get a sub or something.

I feel like on the weekends I need to cook something good, but then I end up spending like $15 on ingredients alone.

Sethos

Banned
Man, I'm glad I got a hold of some fiber supplement. I'm really not good with the veggies and I haven't looked into any other low-carb fiber alternatives I want to eat so I've been constipated like a son of a ... the last few weeks. Started taking it yesterday and my good, it's like a certified tsunami now and my stomach just feels so great.

Thinking about it, don't think I ever really got enough fibers, pre or post diet.

Wiktor

Deadly Cyclone said:
Well see here is my issue, the type of stuff listed is what I eat during the week, and for some reason my stupid habit-filled brain gets to Friday night and says "I'm tired of everything in my fridge" so I go get a sub or something.

I feel like on the weekends I need to cook something good, but then I end up spending like $15 on ingredients alone.
Grill some meat :) Just don't do it quick and dirty, prepare a rich marinade and put the meat into it on THursday. It will not only end up tasting better, but come friday night you will have a bowl o meat ready...which propably won't last till next day , so you have to eat it or will go to waste, no place for subs there :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
AdrianWerner said:
Grill some meat :) Just don't do it quick and dirty, prepare a rich marinade and put the meat into it on THursday. It will not only end up tasting better, but come friday night you will have a bowl o meat ready...which propably won't last till next day , so you have to eat it or will go to waste, no place for subs there :)

I move this weekend into a ground floor apartment, so I can actually get a real grill. I'm going to do meat more often to stick to low carb.

What is good meat (chicken obviously) that is good, but low in fat too?

MiDNiGHTS said:
Have you guys ever been in a situation where your weight stays about the same but you notice a lot of physical changes? The scale is saying I've been at 191-194 this whole month but I look and feel much better than I did a month ago.
yep. like I said above, body comp is more important at some point than the scale by itself. Also, how you feel is really the most important.
Deadly Cyclone said:
I move this weekend into a ground floor apartment, so I can actually get a real grill. I'm going to do meat more often to stick to low carb.

Low carb is high fat. Don't avoid it, eat it.

Wiktor

Deadly Cyclone said:

I wouldn't recommend avoiding fat. You need it on low-card diet.

Anyway lamb is great. So is pork actually (yes, it's fat, but it's good for you plus if you insist you can get parts without much fat and the marinade sinks in beaitifully into it. The cool thing about pigs is that their meat is pretty clean. All the toxic stuff that sinks during artificial feeding is left in the fat, so you can get low quality pig meat, remove the fat and you've got yourself organic meat :)). With chicken I would recommend getting the dark parts of the meat for grill instead of brasts. Try some other birds too, especially Ostrich.

Also...horse meat is amazing, tons of proteins, , tasty as hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:

Simultaneous low-carb and low-fat is not only unsustainable, but dangerous.

Also, there's no reason to avoid animal fat. I challenge you to find an actual controlled study that shows a correlation between animal fat and obesity or heart disease.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
elrechazao said:
yep. like I said above, body comp is more important at some point than the scale by itself. Also, how you feel is really the most important.

Low carb is high fat. Don't avoid it, eat it.

Hmm, gotcha. This kind of thing fucks with my head though, I know limiting carbs lets you lose weight, but wouldn't that be counter-balanced by eating fat, so you'd get nowhere?

I need to read up on this stuff. :p

Fat does not make you fat.

Going into a low carb diet without reading up on it and doing research is dangerous. Low carb isn't just "lower carbs and I'm done". Are you eating more fats? More fiber? Protein intake? Are you working out? Do you need a carb up? How much are you eating? This is really true with all diets though. Get informed then apply the knowledge.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, gotcha. This kind of thing fucks with my head though, I know limiting carbs lets you lose weight, but wouldn't that be counter-balanced by eating fat, so you'd get nowhere?

Fat doesn't make you fat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
FallingEdge said:
Fat does not make you fat.

Going into a low carb diet without reading up on it and doing research is dangerous. Low carb isn't just "lower carbs and I'm done". Are you eating more fats? More fiber? Protein intake? Are you working out? Do you need a carb up? How much are you eating? This is really true with all diets though. Get informed then apply the knowledge.

I have been eating more protein. I am still not 100% "in" on low carb, I have been reducing my intake of them though. Although as posted above, I can't seem to keep it going on weekends yet. During the week I usually can stick around 100g of carbs, but weekends is 200+.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:

It's been recommended throughout this thread, but give Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" book a quick read if you just want an introduction to the reasoning behind why processed carbohydrates are uniquely fattening.

Honestly, I used to think that fat was fattening, too. It made sense. After all, it's fat! Eat fat, get fat. That's just not how it works, though.

Deadly Cyclone said:

It works because your brain needs carbs, so your body is forced to start breaking down your stored fat ketones to get at the carbs.

So it doesn't matter how much more fat you add to the fire.

Xelinis

Deadly Cyclone said:
What do you guys that work take for breakfast an lunch?

Any good breakfast drink recipes? Salads for lunch?

A good low carb breakfast is an omelette with cheese and bacon. A good lunch would be a hamburger wrapped in lettuce, no bun (think In 'N Out protein style, if you've got one near you that is).

LocoMrPollock said:
It works because your brain needs carbs, so your body is forced to start breaking down your stored fat ketones to get at the carbs.

No, your body doesn't "break ketones down to get at the carbs." Ketones are a form of stored energy itself, that is what's used up. The small percentage of your body that requires carbs and harvest them from protein, preferring to target recently ingested dietary protein rather than your muscles.

Deadly Cyclone said:
What do you guys that work take for breakfast an lunch?

Any good breakfast drink recipes? Salads for lunch?

I take eggs all the time to work for breakfast/lunch. Takes like 10 extra minuets to make and I throw some ham or turkey lunch meat in with them.

I also like tuna salad(5 minuets to make and so good). Also, sometimes I will buy a big bag of precooked grilled chicken put that in a salad for lunch. Throw some tomatoes, peppers, black olives, and cheese in and it tastes soooo good(no need for dressing).

Edit: Also, it is easy to take frozen veggies and just microwave at work. There are some that come in individual packs that are perfect for lunch size.

I lost 100 lbs eating like this so it seems pretty good.

Xelinis said:
A good low carb breakfast is an omelette with cheese and bacon. A good lunch would be a hamburger wrapped in lettuce, no bun (think In 'N Out protein style, if you've got one near you that is).

No, your body doesn't "break ketones down to get at the carbs." Ketones are a form of stored energy itself, that is what's used up. The small percentage of your body that requires carbs and harvest them from protein, preferring to target recently ingested dietary protein rather than your muscles.

Well, your brain is one of those "small" organs and that's what triggers the liver to start breaking them down.

Also, I'd recommend adding an avocado to that omelet. Very tasty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:

The brain does not need carbohydrates to operate. It does need a bit of glucose, though! In fact, one your brain greatly benefits (may even be able to argue that it needs) fatty acids. Some studies will show that low-fat diets can actually be rather dangerous for brain health.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
The brain does not need carbohydrates to operate.

It does, in part.

edit: at least, from what I've read...I don't have any concrete evidence on the matter. I assumed this was one of the reasons that Atkins at least has a bit of carbs in its diet.

edit2: apparently if you don't have enough glucose for the brain, it converts protein to glucose for energy.

Before you read this, you will have to excuse my ignorance on the subject, it's really bad almost to an embarrising point of view. So I apologize in advance.

With that said, I've been thinking about starting a low carb diet because running alone hasn't giving me the weight loss I was hoping for. So, with simple carbs, they are easier for your body to digest than complex carbs, right? And simple carbs are found in processed, refined foods such as white sugar, pastas, and white bread. With complex carbs, which take longer for your body to digest are found in vegetables, whole grain breads and pasta, brown rice.

Are they telling me pastas and white bread are better for my body than veggies and whole grain bread because it takes less time for my body to digest? Or does that not matter at all?

Help!

Xelinis

TheExodu5 said:
It does, in part.

edit: at least, from what I've read...I don't have any concrete evidence on the matter. I assumed this was one of the reasons that Atkins at least has a bit of carbs in its diet.

Only 5% of your brain requires carbohydrates to run.

Xelinis

wiggins022 said:
Before you read this, you will have to excuse my ignorance on the subject, it's really bad almost to an embarrising point of view. So I apologize in advance.

With that said, I've been thinking about starting a low carb diet because running alone hasn't giving me the weight loss I was hoping for. So, with simple carbs, they are easier for your body to digest than complex carbs, right? And simple carbs are found in processed, refined foods such as white sugar, pastas, and white bread. With complex carbs, which take longer for your body to digest are found in vegetables, whole grain breads and pasta, brown rice.

Are they telling me pastas and white bread are better for my body than veggies and whole grain bread because it takes less time for my body to digest? Or does that not matter at all?

Help!

Big subject. Watch this, it breaks it down quite nicely: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

Sethos

Banned
wiggins022 said:

Help!

No, complex carbs are considered better because it gives your body something to work with. The quick carbs are just turned into sugar, gives you a quick buzz and then you're out cold.

Zefah said:
The brain does not need carbohydrates to operate. It does need a bit of glucose, though! In fact, one your brain greatly benefits (may even be able to argue that it needs) fatty acids. Some studies will show that low-fat diets can actually be rather dangerous for brain health.

When did I ever say anything about a low fat diet, or speak against fat in general?

I just offered a very simple explanation as to why low carb diets work. In retrospect maybe I should have spent more than 5 seconds composing it based on idiots in this thread.

Listen dude, I've been doing low carb for 3 years and have known about it for close to 10. I used to advocate it when the gaf hivemind said that it was unhealthy for you. So I really don't need any lessons on it from you or anyone else.

Farooq

Banned
Where does weight loss GAF stand on canned chickpeas (or beans in general)?

I use it in my salads for a convenient source of protein. Yay or nay on putting them in a salad?

This is a great thread. Good job and good luck to everyone.

I was fairly overweight for my height (5'10"), and one day I just got tired of it. Ended up running for 20 minutes a day and not eating fistfuls of pizza. I tried the Atkins thing, but it didn't work out too great for me.

This is me 3 years ago (225 pounds):
i2pRK.jpg

...aaaand now (174 pounds):
aNOYd.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
When did I ever say anything about a low fat diet, or speak against fat in general?

I just offered a very simple explanation as to why low carb diets work. In retrospect maybe I should have spent more than 5 seconds composing it based on idiots in this thread.

Listen dude, I've been doing low carb for 3 years and have known about it for close to 10. I used to advocate it when the gaf hivemind said that it was unhealthy for you. So I really don't need any lessons on it from you or anyone else.

No need to get all haughty and defensive.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that you mentioned anything about a low-fat diet, I just thought it would be interesting to add that, if anything, it's the low-fat diets that are less healthy for the brain. Perhaps I should have split that part to a separate paragraph?

Either way, my response to your "It works because your brain needs carbs" was "The brain does not need carbohydrates to operate." because the brain absolutely does not require carbohydrates.

Nice use of "GAF hivemind" and an appeal to authority fallacy, by the way!

Farooq said:
Where does weight loss GAF stand on canned chickpeas (or beans in general)?

I use it to in my salads for a convenient source of protein. Yay or nay on putting them in a salad?
Paleo low carb people generally avoid legumes. I love chickpeas myself, and will make them as a cheat meal.

Zefah said:
No need to get all haughty and defensive.

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that you mentioned anything about a low-fat diet, I just thought it would be interesting to add that, if anything, it's the low-fat diets that are less healthy for the brain. Perhaps I should have split that part to a separate paragraph?

Either way, my response to your "It works because your brain needs carbs" was "The brain does not need carbohydrates to operate." because the brain absolutely does not require carbohydrates.

Nice use of "GAF hivemind" and an appeal to authority fallacy, by the way!

Yes, my terminology was wrong.

Meier

FallingEdge said:
You are prolly skinny fat. Focus on getting stronger and building some muscle.
Yeah, definitely in that camp I suppose. Pretty standard weight and waist size but a little bit of a spare tire... damn thing just doesn't want to go away! Working on the latter. :)

I go to the gym 3 days a week on average and do a 5k on the treadmill and about 45-60 minutes of various machines. Usually do about 120-160 ab crunches at 85 pounds.. working my way up.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
We need to make a GAF shirt.

My idea: something that bashes carbs on the front, embrace meat on the back. Haha, I don't know, we just need a shirt!

NomarTyme

Meier said:
Yeah, definitely in that camp I suppose. Pretty standard weight and waist size but a little bit of a spare tire... damn thing just doesn't want to go away! Working on the latter. :)

I go to the gym 3 days a week on average and do a 5k on the treadmill and about 45-60 minutes of various machines. Usually do about 120-160 ab crunches at 85 pounds.. working my way up.
Stop running fool. Avoid Grains, Industrial seed oil, get good sleep (7-9 hrs), mange your stress level, eat more meat(Beef, pork...) lift heavy things, do sprints.....

Toki767

NomarTyme said:
Stop running fool. Avoid Grains, Industrial seed oil, get good sleep (7-9 hrs), mange your stress level, eat more meat(Beef, pork...) lift heavy things, do sprints.....
Is sprinting that much better for weight loss than just normal running?

NomarTyme

Toki767 said:
Is sprinting that much better for weight loss than just normal running?
Look at a sprinter body and then look at a marathon runner body. Tell me the differences. Its all about keeping your lean muscle mass and sprinting is better and walking.

July has been kind of a failure. I've been an emotional wreck because of my grandfather's death and some work-related issues, and I've fallen off quite a bit.

However, I don't think I've gained any weight. I've just been down in the dumps and my diet and exercise have suffered.

But August should go well. I've got a trip over Labor Day to visit my sister out west, and it will be good incentive to stick to my regimen throughout August.

Top Bottom