• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

AiTM

Banned
God all of this low carb talk makes realize I need to get back on it. I am so addicted to carbs though, and kicking the habit isnt going to be fun. Also I never feel healthy when I eat really greasy, fat foods...I guess its a mental thing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
AiTM said:
God all of this low carb talk makes realize I need to get back on it. I am so addicted to carbs though, and kicking the habit isnt going to be fun. Also I never feel healthy when I eat really greasy, fat foods...I guess its a mental thing.

This is how I am, and part of the problem. With low carb you have to eat a lot of meat, but I tend to stick to "healthier" meats like chicken and turkey bacon because that's what I was taught. I still can't see bacon or greasy hamburgers as healthy, and that's part of the reason I don't get enough calories on low carb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It really just comes down to realizing that Conventional Wisdom is, for the most part, complete bullshit.

The very same Conventional Wisdom that would have you avoid red meat and bacon, would also have you gobble on grains and hydrogenated vegetable oil and put you on statins if your cholesterol goes above 200.

If you can read through books like Good Calories, Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat and What We Can Do About It, The Primal Blueprint, etc. read a variety of science articles on the subject, and still think that low-fat is the way to go, well then I don't know what to say.

To me, the evidence in favor of a low-carb (sub-150g) diet, that eliminates grain and processed carbs, and encourages consumption of lots of good fats and protein, is overwhelming. Even without the science, I only need to see how beneficial this change in diet has been for me, or simply take a look around me and see what other people are eating and what their body composition is like.

Gary Whitta said:
It seems lame but then I realize that I'm basically asking myself to lift more than 200lbs with only my arms, which I wouldn't feel bad about being unable to do under almost any other circumstances.
Actually pull with your back. Tighten your shoulder blades together and feel your back muscles working. A lot of beginning strength training is just learning to use your muscles efficiently, but seems especially true of pull ups because people often misconceptualize it as primarily an arm exercise.

Anyway sorry for bleeding over from the Fitness thread.

More on topic, I just started a bacon grease jar. I thought I should refrigerate it since it gets very hot in my apartment during the day. It's all coagulated now. How long do these things last? It's still got bits of bacon in it.

Guys have any tips to stay on low carb???

Im at about 195. Ill do Keto for about two-three weeks and get down to like 182. I cant get under 179 for some reason!!! Then ill have a cheat day, and just end it.... I cant get off carbs once I get back on them!!!!

The second problem I am having is, I am working out super hard, once I hit ketosis by being under 30 carbs or so daily, my energy is completely drained... I have to rely on a fat burner to get me though the day without sleeping at my desk!!!

>_<;

SnakeSlashRO said:
Guys have any tips to stay on low carb???

Im at about 195. Ill do Keto for about two-three weeks and get down to like 182. I cant get under 179 for some reason!!! Then ill have a cheat day, and just end it.... I cant get off carbs once I get back on them!!!!

The second problem I am having is, I am working out super hard, once I hit ketosis by being under 30 carbs or so daily, my energy is completely drained... I have to rely on a fat burner to get me though the day without sleeping at my desk!!!

>_<;

Everyone's body is different. You don't have to do ketosis if it doesn't work for you. So long as you avoid sugar and processed grains and keep your carbs reasonably low (under 100g preferably), then you should be fine. I can do pretty well on almost no carbs a day, but sometimes I get cravings. Just listen to what your body tells you (with moderation, of course).

NomarTyme

Mr. Serious Business said:
Everyone's body is different. You don't have to do ketosis if it doesn't work for you. So long as you avoid sugar and processed grains and keep your carbs reasonably low (under 100g preferably), then you should be fine. I can do pretty well on almost no carbs a day, but sometimes I get cravings. Just listen to what your body tells you (with moderation, of course).
I agree! If you need more carbs I would suggest yams/sweet potatoes/roots & tuber.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For all of those taking multiple supplements. Do you take them all together during breakfast or something? Or do you spread out consumption throughout the day?

Zefah said:
For all of those taking multiple supplements. Do you take them all together during breakfast or something? Or do you spread out consumption throughout the day?
I take em all with breakfast for convenience.

Zefah said:

Depends on what the supplement is. You wouldn't take your pre-workout with everything else just for convenience.

Zefah said:

I usually take Cod Liver Oil with my morning and evening meals. The Vitamin K2-mk4&7, Q10, and Magnesium supplements are taken with other meals during the day. I have around six or seven meals a day though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Today I just started taking:

Basic Multivitamin x1 tablet
Fish Oil 450 EPA 300 DHA x2 capsules
Vitamin D3 5000 IU x1 capsule
Calcium/Magnesium 375mg x1 capsule

I still want to find a good all-around antioxidant supplement, as well as Vitamin K2, perhaps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Gary Whitta said:
It seems lame but then I realize that I'm basically asking myself to lift more than 200lbs with only my arms, which I wouldn't feel bad about being unable to do under almost any other circumstances.

You should be starting out with the beginner's workout routine outlined in the Fitness OP. Since you're a beginner, your body is going to have a severe and hard reaction (in a good way) to resistance training and you'll see nice gains and body recomposition soon.

Don't worry about it, dude. I can't do a single pull up with no weighted assistance, but I can bench 145, squat 190, deadlift 170, you get the idea. Actually, all my life growing up as a morbidly obese child, I could never do a single dip with no weighted assistance in high school and it embaressed the shit out of me.

Hell, when I started doing dips at the Y, I needed 110 pounds of weighted assistance so I could do a full set of dips. Still embaressing.

Now? After slow, steady progress and persistence, not only is the entire 110 pounds of assistance gone, I actually add extra weight to myself by strapping 10 pounds around my waist.

Patience and persistence. I remember my brother had that engraved on my very first iPod when I was young and I never forget because that saying holds true for anything you want in life. Accept that whatever it is you want is going to take a long time to manifest, but don't give up on it.

Zoe

Zefah said:

I take everything at once, but it has to be with food. The iron in my multi always makes me nauseous on an empty stomach.

Domino Theory said:
You should be starting out with the beginner's workout routine outlined in the Fitness OP. Since you're a beginner, your body is going to have a severe and hard reaction (in a good way) to resistance training and you'll see nice gains and body recomposition soon.

Don't worry about it, dude. I can't do a single pull up with no weighted assistance, but I can bench 145, squat 190, deadlift 170, you get the idea. Actually, all my life growing up as a morbidly obese child, I could never do a single dip with no weighted assistance in high school and it embaressed the shit out of me.

Hell, when I started doing dips at the Y, I needed 110 pounds of weighted assistance so I could do a full set of dips. Still embaressing.

Now? After slow, steady progress and persistence, not only is the entire 110 pounds of assistance gone, I actually add extra weight to myself by strapping 10 pounds around my waist.

Patience and persistence. I remember my brother had that engraved on my very first iPod when I was young and I never forget because that saying holds true for anything you want in life. Accept that whatever it is you want is going to take a long time to manifest, but don't give up on it.

That's exactly what I outlined. And I really appreciated your post. I'm not expecting beginners to be able to do any of the exercises like a pro right off the bat. Obviously not. But you do have to push yourself while remembering that progress is slow but certain.

Domino Theory said:
I looked at that OP and found it baffling. It's huge and dense with pictures of complex charts and half-finished carpentry projects (WTF?) and it just put me off immediately. Isn't there a site with a simple, easy-to-follow version of a beginners' resistance workout?

EDIT: I found the beginner guide part of the OP. Can I do stuff like bench press and dead lift with dumb bells (one in each hand) rather than a bar bell?

The more I look at the exercises listed (power cleans, overhead press etc) the more it seems like I need a bar bell, which I do not have.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
I looked at that OP and found it baffling. It's huge and dense with pictures of complex charts and half-finished carpentry projects (WTF?) and it just put me off immediately. Isn't there a site with a simple, easy-to-follow version of a beginners' resistance workout?

EDIT: I found the beginner guide part of the OP. Can I do stuff like bench press and dead lift with dumb bells (one in each hand) rather than a bar bell?

The more I look at the exercises listed (power cleans, overhead press etc) the more it seems like I need a bar bell, which I do not have.

Haha. I had the same reaction to that thread. They lost me at the carpentry project photos.

If you really want to start with something simple, I highly recommend wall presses and air squats. You can do these anywhere. I do them in the bathroom stall at work on weekdays.

Do a couple sets of each every day and you'll quickly put on strength in your arms and legs. The squats especially really kicked my ass when I started, and using the stairs was a real pain for the first week.

Lifting heavy stuff is great, but I think using your own body weight is probably the best way to ease into resistance training.

Gary Whitta said:

As a beginner a barbell is best and it is the easiest. You can't afford a gym membership? I'm sure that thread has links to a cheap barbell and weight set if you want to workout at home. You can do pushups if you don't want to bench.

Edit: I think you guys are really selling yourselves short here. Kevin Durant (a very good basketball player) couldn't even bench an empty barbell. The more strenuous the exercise, the better the results.

Edit 2: That said, you don't even need barbells. You can get an equally effective workout by using your body. Get this book: Convict Conditioning. All bodyweight and the only thing you'll have to buy is a basketball and a pullup bar

Gary Whitta said:

Gary, do some squats with no weight, some ab workouts, planks, and some bench press with your dumbells. You don't need to buy equipment.

Gary Whitta said:
I looked at that OP and found it baffling. It's huge and dense with pictures of complex charts and half-finished carpentry projects (WTF?)
That made me LOL. You should bring it up in the fitness thread if you haven't already. I think a lot of the regulars there already knew a lot of the info in the OT before reading it, so it's hard to see it how someone with no background would read it.

I stay out of the fitness thread for the most part.
I'll kind of skim a few posts, now and then, but it just doesn't mesh with me like this thread did.

NomarTyme

Gary Whitta said:

Download this fitness ebook! Lots of body exercise. Also it has youtube video links!

noire said:
Yeah, trying to get through a plateau so I was hoping to stay under 50. Between the moe and the decried beans, I really messed that up.

Sometimes you just gotta give in and then get right back on the bandwagon. I've been craving some buffalo chicken pizza myself. I'll need something to replace the alcohol in my life...:(

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah the Fitness thread is way too hard-core for me, but I think I'm figuring out a basic workout that will be good for me.
You might want to try the p90x thread. It's a step up from this one as far as the talk is concerned and a step below the fitness thread, which makes even michaelangelo's david feel inadequate. Of course they're going to mostly be talking about the program and whatnot but most of what you can learn from p90x tends to be general fitness know how, such as diet and how to perform an exercise. The program itself is inexpensive and effective, too, so that's another option for ya.

noire said:
I've been making my way through The 4-Hour Body and I think I'm about ready to call it quits. Between the conversational tone and the completely anecdotal basis, I think I'm better off reading this thread.

I saw that book in the store a few weeks ago and skimmed through it.
Good for a laugh, if nothing else.

"How I got super strong from just 5 total hours in the gym!"

"How I lost 30 pounds of fat in 2 days!"

Yeah... sure man.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
noire said:
I've been making my way through The 4-Hour Body and I think I'm about ready to call it quits. Between the conversational tone and the completely anecdotal basis, I think I'm better off reading this thread.

The 4-Hour Body is actually what I first read when I decided I wanted to lose weight. It was my foot in the low-carb door, so to speak. Some interesting stuff in there, but I find that everything is far better explained in other books. I also think The Primal Blueprint is a much better book for people to start with. It's a lot more realistic and doesn't have the douchebag-tone found in 4-Hour Body.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
You might want to try the p90x thread. It's a step up from this one as far as the talk is concerned and a step below the fitness thread, which makes even michaelangelo's david feel inadequate. Of course they're going to mostly be talking about the program and whatnot but most of what you can learn from p90x tends to be general fitness know how, such as diet and how to perform an exercise. The program itself is inexpensive and effective, too, so that's another option for ya.
Yeah I did some reading up on P90X and concluded that it's probably a bit too much for someone of my fitness level so I'm going to work up to it by doing Power 90 first, which is the more basic introductory version.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gary Whitta said:
Yeah I did some reading up on P90X and concluded that it's probably a bit too much for someone of my fitness level so I'm going to work up to it by doing Power 90 first, which is the more basic introductory version.

I was (am) way out of shape when I first did P90x and I ended up losing 20 lbs. It's not about doing everything they do, it's about just doing as much as you can each day, and even that will make you drop weight and add muscle.

Do you all have any work breakfast suggestions? I was doing greek yogurt, and today decided to hardboil some eggs last night and eat, but they aren't really as appetizing the next morning. What do you all take to work to eat in the AM that is fairly easy and inexpensive?

dmshaposv

Gary Whitta said:
HIIT is not for me right now because (a) I don't feel fit enough for that kind of high impact yet and (b) even if I were, I don't live in the kind of neighborhood where sprinting is really that practical.

Everything I've read here and elsewhere suggests that some form of strength/resistance training is helpful for weight loss so I'm hoping getting into the routine of just some basic free weight and resistance band stuff will help with that. My first session with the trainer today demonstrated just how out of shape I am so I need to start small and build up!

HIIT is possible with a treadmill - a bit tricky - but possible.

2 minutes of slow speed - 1 minute of high speed - back to normal. Continue.

Some factors to consider:

1) The treadmill takes time to gain speed and slow down, so put that into consideration while making sure your intense cardio clocks in at 1 min.

2) Towel/gym gloves are good - you will sweat like crazy and need to be sure that your grip is strong and don't fall off the treadmill.

3) Don't go crazy the first time around - your intense minute "one hot minute" as I like to call it - should be your most energetic but at a reasonable speed where you have a firm grip on the treadmill handles. As your resistance gradually becomes better you'll be able to go at faster speeds.

The best part is you save a lot of time. My Cardio workouts have dropped from 20-25 mins to 15 mins with me having burned the same amount of calories.

acksman

Gary Whitta said:

It looks like I am around your area in workout needs. I actually had to hire a personal trainer because I had no clue what to do and be efficient.

A few things he has taught me.

Stretch really well before and after you start. Especially if you have not worked out in over a year or two.

Endurance is the first step - Build up cardio. Don't overdo it. I bought a heart rate monitor and was told to stay between 115 - 135 BPM. Anything over that and its just a waste. The main goal is time, be able to work up to 45min at least once each week with your other cardio days being in the 30min range. --- Cardio 5 days a week.

Next is resistance training - I did not even touch weights until my 3rd week of training. Get a large ball and work on balance exercises. Then band resistance and work up to planking. Try to do this 3 times a week 30min with at least 1 hour session. Each session work a different part of the body. Legs, back, upper.

That is where I am at right now. I am on a strict Paleo diet, have not lost a ton of weight yet, but I feel much more slim and tons of energy. I believe muscles growth along with water weight and my glycogen is still preventing loss. I am hypoglycemic as well so that plays into my scenario.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Yeah the Fitness thread is way too hard-core for me, but I think I'm figuring out a basic workout that will be good for me.

Apologies if this is too personal, but can't you afford a personal trainer? Sure, you can read a book / watch some vids, but it's much better to have a someone give you guidance firsthand. Learning to lift weights properly is crucial for development, and much safer for your body.

Now I'm not talking about having a trainer always with you, but for about 2mos, or so. Enough time to learn proper lifting techniques, and get you on a solid work-out routine. Most gyms have trainers on staff, and it isn't too expensive either. I paid for my wife's trainer at our gym and it helped her a lot.

Zoe

LosDaddie said:
Apologies if this is too personal, but can't you afford a personal trainer? Sure, you can read a book / watch some vids, but it's much better to have a someone give you guidance firsthand. Learning to lift weights properly is crucial for development, and much safer for your body.

Now I'm not talking about having a trainer always with you, but for about 2mos, or so. Enough time to learn proper lifting techniques, and get you on a solid work-out routine. Most gyms have trainers on staff, and it isn't too expensive either. I paid for my wife's trainer at our gym and it helped her a lot.

He does have a trainer... but FitnessGAF tends to discourage having one.

Zoe said:
He does have a trainer... but FitnessGAF tends to discourage having one.

I wouldn't say that we discourage one... rather it is more along the lines of the trainer giving out false information. If you can afford a great trainer, then go for it. I would love to get one but the trainers at my local gym don't have what I am looking for.

LosDaddie said:

My gf actually got me a gift certificate for 4 sessions with a personal trainer as a birthday gift so I am just starting on that now!

Yasae

Banned
Nice seeing all these suggestions. I'm glad this thread is still around.

I think the biggest problem I have is with money. I keep thinking of ways to stretch about $100 a month on food and still have something to eat everyday, but it's really, really hard. Any advice?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:

I think the biggest problem I have is with money. I keep thinking of ways to stretch about $100 a month on food and still have something to eat everyday, but it's really, really hard. Any advice?

$100 a month is tough, but I imagine you could get by on frozen veggies, chicken and eggs for that amount. Maybe a few cheap round steaks here and there.

Yasae said:

Budget better. Honestly, 100$ a month for food is nothing. Even getting a single can of Tuna for 3 meals a day at 67 cents will cost you 56 dollars. Plus you're not going to want to be eating that much tuna cause of the mercury.

But, maybe Tuna with the suggestions from Zefah could give you some ideas.

I want to try the HIIT cardio but the treadmill I have at home is too shitty and wobbly to feel like I can run on it without holding on to the bars. Should have bought a better one!

jts

...hate me...
Gary Whitta said:
I want to try the HIIT cardio but the treadmill I have at home is too shitty and wobbly to feel like I can run on it without holding on to the bars. Should have bought a better one!
I feel the same about my elliptical bike. Seriously, home equipment is shit >:|

Sethos

Banned
It's so awesome, my body has been changing a megaton over the past 3 weeks, especially my face is slimming down and my co-workers are really taking notice. Barely a month ago they were poking fun at my low-carb diet and said it was a crock of ... yes. Now 3 of them are constantly asking questions about it after hearing about my progress, like what they'd have to cut out and "Is butter okay?", "How about coffee?!" and now I've just become the Low-carb lexicon in our department.

Spreading the low-carb message, one person at a' time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All you need to do HIIT sprints is... well access to some open space outside.

Bearded Dudebro said:
Budget better. Honestly, 100$ a month for food is nothing. Even getting a single can of Tuna for 3 meals a day at 67 cents will cost you 56 dollars. Plus you're not going to want to be eating that much tuna cause of the mercury.

But, maybe Tuna with the suggestions from Zefah could give you some ideas.

It depends on the tuna. Ahi tuna is absolutely loaded with mercury, but chunk light is fairly safe to eat (although you shouldn't eat it every day). Salmon is superior in every way though.

Top Bottom