• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Sethos

Banned
DragonKnight said:
Do you run at all? I'm a hypochondriac so I run to keep my cardiovascular health up

No, currently I'm on my exercise bike for 40 minutes to an hour every night, my only exercise for the day. I barely walk anywhere or do anything during the day.

Will be getting a real bike this or next week.

Sethos said:
No, currently I'm on my exercise bike for 40 minutes to an hour every night, my only exercise for the day. I barely walk anywhere or do anything during the day.

Will be getting a real bike this or next week.

That's what I meant. Running and jogging burns more calories but yeah. I try to strive for at least 2000 calories a day give or take 200 calories. It's different for guys like me because I've reached my goal and now i'm all about maintaining.

Mr. Serious Business said:
I guess this is less of a weight loss question and more of a general health one, but I'd love some opinions.

I seem to get dehydrated really quickly. Maybe not to the point where it affects me physically, but even if I drink tons of water (100 ounces plus) in a relatively short span of time, I might still be thirsty. My piss is also yellow most of the time. I'm not sure if it's just summer or anything, but I seem to have an almost unquenchable thirst.

Water-drinking GAF advice?

Are you drinking all your water at once? If so, try spreading it out throughout the day instead.

Sethos

Banned
DragonKnight said:
That's what I meant. Running and jogging burns more calories but yeah. I try to strive for at least 2000 calories a day give or take 200 calories. It's different for guys like me because I've reached my goal and now i'm all about maintaining.

I'm just seeing the 2000 as my roof. I can easily go well below that, 1500 or even 1200. That summer heat definitely isn't helping as my appetite is pretty low and has been the past few months, there's days where I barely take on 900 calories.

Usually I try to stay under around 2000, today was a rare day of going over. Just wondering how much a caloric excess might (or might not) be mitigated by staying low on carbs.

Sethos said:
I'm just seeing the 2000 as my roof. I can easily go well below that, 1500 or even 1200. That summer heat definitely isn't helping as my appetite is pretty low and has been the past few months, there's days where I barely take on 900 calories.

Jesus. Well if you're not feeling hungry...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry about calories--don't even count them. Just worry about what you're eating, and do so until you're full. You don't need to worry about getting three meals or eating at specific times. Eat something when you feel hungry. I would recommend getting a dense breakfast, though, since that can carry you throughout the day.

Changing subjects, I just baked bacon for the first time today, and it's glorious! I can't believe I always pan fried it up until now. What a waste that was in comparison! I did a huge batch and stored in the fridge so I can just nuke it in the morning for a quick fix in the morning to go along with my eggs.

Zefah said:
Don't worry about calories--don't even count them. Just worry about what you're eating, and do so until you're full. You don't need to worry about getting three meals or eating at specific times. Eat something when you feel hungry. I would recommend getting a dense breakfast, though, since that can carry you throughout the day.

Changing subjects, I just baked bacon for the first time today, and it's glorious! I can't believe I always pan fried it up until now. What a waste that was in comparison! I did a huge batch and stored in the fridge so I can just nuke it in the morning for a quick fix in the morning to go along with my eggs.

Yeah my breakfast is usually over 600 calories lol.

Edit: But I don't think I can eat until i'm full. I can really pack it away.

Zefah said:

I'll have to do this. I was just thinking about how much a pain it is to pan fry bacon since I can barely fit 4 slices in there at a time.

Also...I was wondering if it's ever impossible to lose certain areas of fat. I've had areas of fat on my body since I was 11 years old (so for 21 years now). When you've been carrying around fat for that long, does it just sort of become a permanent part of your body no matter what you do? I ask this because even though I've had several bouts of successful weight loss, it seems I have never lost weight in those areas where I've had it the longest. I know you supposedly lose fat in the opposite order in which you gained it...so the most recent weight gain will be the first to go. But...still, not sure if I'll have to resort to surgery to get rid of the old fat.

dejay

Banned
ArachosiA 78 said:
Also...I was wondering if it's ever impossible to lose certain areas of fat. I've had areas of fat on my body since I was 11 years old (so for 21 years now). When you've been carrying around fat for that long, does it just sort of become a permanent part of your body no matter what you do? I ask this because even though I've had several bouts of successful weight loss, it seems I have never lost weight in those areas where I've had it the longest. I know you supposedly lose fat in the opposite order in which you gained it...so the most recent weight gain will be the first to go. But...still, not sure if I'll have to resort to surgery to get rid of the old fat.

If you subscribe to the notion that it was the action of carbs/insulin that has made those stubborn areas a fat soak, then it stands to reason that they may melt away when you get down to a certain body fat percentage now that the amount of insulin in your body should be a lot less. I'm assuming you weren't on a low carb routine before.

shamo42

Domino Theory said:
Basically stay away from this aisle (took it at my local Target for WeihtLossGAF):
ghnZ3.jpg

NomarTyme said:
Stop using shitty industrial oil(corn, canola, soybean, vegetable.... )

What?!
Afaik canola oil is as good as olive oil (if not better because of a higher OMEGA3/OMEGA6 ratio).
And it has no trans fats. Why wouldn't you recommend it?

shamo42 said:
What?!
Afaik canola oil is as good as olive oil (if not better because of a higher OMEGA3/OMEGA6 ratio).
And it has no trans fats. Why wouldn't you recommend it?

Canola Oil has like a 5:1 ratio of OM6:OM3.

omgkitty

I thought the amount of calories you are supposed to take in is relative to your weight? The bigger you are the more calories you burn. I mean, I could probably eat 2000 calories a day, but I weigh about 365, and could easily eat closer to 3000 and still lose weight.

Sethos

Banned
omgkitty said:
I thought the amount of calories you are supposed to take in is relative to your weight? The bigger you are the more calories you burn. I mean, I could probably eat 2000 calories a day, but I weigh about 365, and could easily eat closer to 3000 and still lose weight.

Depends on how much weight you want to lose but you are correct, a bigger body obviously expends more energy doing even basic tasks and thus require more to keep it going. So a big person holding 2000 calories would lose significantly more than a small person doing the same.

Here's a rough calculator http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

RPGCrazied

Trying to lose these pesky 10lbs is a bitch. Not to mention getting a flatter tummy is damn near impossible. God I hate getting old. ;/

Im currently trying to get my friend to see the benefits of low carb and this is what he said:

"but if you're trying to lose weight or slim down you need take in less energy than you use (obviously) but 55% of the energy you take in should be carbs. complex carbs like you get from whole grain breads and from fruit and veggies. simple carbs get broken down too easily and therefore get stored more easy. complex carbs are more of what you're body naturally looks for
that and you should try to limit your fats to oils. they're unsaturated and therefore more complex (better for the body, less likely to get stored)
I'm not looking at your comment.. I just remember those two were the main things that stuck out that I disagreed with. once again.. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just going from what I've learned in this class"

I just linked him to that megathread

DragonKnight said:
Im currently trying to get my friend to see the benefits of low carb and this is what he said:

"but if you're trying to lose weight or slim down you need take in less energy than you use (obviously) but 55% of the energy you take in should be carbs. complex carbs like you get from whole grain breads and from fruit and veggies. simple carbs get broken down too easily and therefore get stored more easy. complex carbs are more of what you're body naturally looks for
that and you should try to limit your fats to oils. they're unsaturated and therefore more complex (better for the body, less likely to get stored)
I'm not looking at your comment.. I just remember those two were the main things that stuck out that I disagreed with. once again.. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just going from what I've learned in this class"

I just linked him to that megathread
Get a new friend, that one is broken.

ipukespiders said:
Get a new friend, that one is broken.

I told him that I know it's hard to believe as it's the exact opposite of how most people have heard how to eat. I even told him about the anecdotes about the health turn arounds that people in this thread (anecdotes I know) have experienced but yeah...he's going to read the megathread I linked him to when he gets back.

So my peanut butter has hydrogonated vegetable oil in it. Should I throw it away? It's not partial like the one in my butter (which I am not going to eat anymore) but does that make a difference?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DragonKnight said:
So my peanut butter has hydrogonated vegetable oil in it. Should I throw it away? It's not partial like the one in my butter (which I am not going to eat anymore) but does that make a difference?

I would say yes. You should.

Do some research and start looking at the ingredients of everything you buy. If there's something in the ingredients that you aren't familiar with, look it up or skip it. If there's something in the ingredients that you know is not very good for you, skip it.

You probably won't be able to buy 90% or more of the things sold in an average super market. That's probably a good thing.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but extended walking (several hours/miles a day) has got to be the most strenuous, exhausting exercise there is. I just got back from vacation (50+ miles of walking), ate a whole large pizza to celebrate, and I'm still hungry. On the plus side, I'm under 170 for the first time since middle school.

One of the major peanut butter makers (forget if it's jif or skippy or one of the others) has a 100% natural peanut butter. The ingredients are peanuts and a small amount of peanut oil, and I think some salt. I buy that sometimes, and it's freaking delicious.

edit: It's Smuckers Natural

sogood.gif

Schlep

Had a free personal trainer session today and she managed to kick my ass within the span of 20 minutes. Actually convinced me to sign up for 3 sessions at the beginning of each month.

On the weight side, I found that I've lost 15 pounds since late-June doing very little in the way of exercise. Calories in/calories out says I should have lost 3 pounds. This thread really does help.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
elrechazao said:
One of the major peanut butter makers (forget if it's jif or skippy or one of the others) has a 100% natural peanut butter. The ingredients are peanuts and a small amount of peanut oil, and I think some salt. I buy that sometimes, and it's freaking delicious.

edit: It's Smuckers Natural

sogood.gif

Whole Foods' 365 brand of Peanut Butter is better. The only ingredients listed are "Peanuts, Salt". That's it.

@DragonKnight: Throw that shit away asap.

Domino Theory said:
Whole Foods' 365 brand of Peanut Butter is better. The only ingredients listed are "Peanuts, Salt". That's it.

@DragonKnight: Throw that shit away asap.
I was wrong, only peanuts, and salt. The oil is the natural peanut oil from the whole peanuts. Sounds ilke the same as whole foods' brand.

McLovin

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but extended walking (several hours/miles a day) has got to be the most strenuous, exhausting exercise there is. I just got back from vacation (50+ miles of walking), ate a whole large pizza to celebrate, and I'm still hungry. On the plus side, I'm under 170 for the first time since middle school.
Yeah if you have the time to spare you can burn a ton of fat by walk for really long periods, even riding a bike.

rkn

RPGCrazied said:
Trying to lose these pesky 10lbs is a bitch. Not to mention getting a flatter tummy is damn near impossible. God I hate getting old. ;/
I feel you man, I've sorta plateaued too. I'm working out 5-6 times a week and eating clean, the only thing I haven't seriously tried is low carb, but I'm starting on that now, got nothing to lose (figuratively).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Lots of low intensity walking combined with occasional short bursts of sprinting (infrequent HIIT training) as well as fairly regular heavy lifting (resistance training) is probably the best and safest way to get sufficient exercise while directing your body to one that is lean and muscular.

rkn said:
I feel you man, I've sorta plateaued too. I'm working out 5-6 times a week and eating clean, the only thing I haven't seriously tried is low carb, but I'm starting on that now, got nothing to lose (figuratively).

You, like most people who try to lose weight or "get in shape", are probably over-training by a severe degree if you're working out 5-6 times a week (depending on the contents of your routine).

RPGCrazied said:

It'll come off, just give it time. Trust me, I'm old too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RPGCrazied said:

Tell that to Mark Sisson! While age is certainly going to make things somewhat more difficult, it's no excuse to have excess tummy fat.

Zefah said:
Tell that to Mark Sisson! While age is certainly going to make things somewhat more difficult, it's no excuse to have excess tummy fat.
to be fair, he didn't go from fat guy to ripped, he went to super lean endurance athlete to ripped guy :D

I'm at the point where my small love handles and belly are the last areas I have any real fat on me, and it's frustrating how little progress there is there relative to the rest of one's body sometimes. As everyone says, it's the last to go, and the most stubborn, just gotta keep it up.

I found this article interesting. I know some people earlier in the thread were wondering about doing cleanses.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20086326-10391704.html

CBSNews said:
Colon cleansing may be all the rage among celebs, but a new study suggests a dirty truth about the practice: It doesn't work, and it can cause potentially serious health problems.

"There can be serious consequences for those who engage in colon cleansing whether they have the procedure done at a spa or perform it at home," study author, Dr. Ranit Mishori, an assistant professor of family medicine at Georgetown University, said in a written statement. She said colon cleansing products, which come as laxatives, teas, and capsules, "tout benefits that don't exist."

For the study - published in the August issue of The Journal of Family Practice - Mishori and her team looked at 20 colon cleaning studies published over the last 10 years. The studies show little if any health benefits, she said. But a colon cleanse can lead to nasty side effects like bloating, cramping, vomiting, electrolyte imbalance and kidney failure.

Many celebrities extol colon cleansing's benefits for staying healthy and losing weight. Kim Kardashian even endorses a line of products.

"I totally understand where people are coming from in wanting to detoxify," Mishori told Time. "But there is no evidence that [the cleanses] are doing anything, and physiologically it doesn't make sense."

These procedures introduce something in the body that's not supposed to be there, like a fluid-filled tube that enters the rectum, which she says can damage colon tissue. She also says most of these "colon hygienists" have no significant medical training and often require no more than a high school diploma. But even the over-the-counter laxatives and teas cause problems.

Dick Hoenninger, spokesman for the International Association for Colon Hydrotherapy disputed the findings.

"Colon hydrotherapy when performed by a trained therapist using FDA-registered equipment and disposable speculums or rectal nozzles is safe," he told HealthDay.

If a colonic isn't the answer, what should folks do to flush out toxins?

Mishori told Time, "The body has a system for detoxifying itself -it's called pee and poop."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
elrechazao said:
to be fair, he didn't go from fat guy to ripped, he went to super lean endurance athlete to ripped guy :D

I'm at the point where my small love handles and belly are the last areas I have any real fat on me, and it's frustrating how little progress there is there relative to the rest of one's body sometimes. As everyone says, it's the last to go, and the most stubborn, just gotta keep it up.

Fair enough, but he certainly didn't look like he did now as an endurance athlete.

Bulking up in a healthy fashion can be just as difficult as slimming down in a healthy fashion for some people.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Anyone here try MaraNatha peanut butter? I saw a jar for $12.50 (!!!) at my local store...wtf?

Online it looks like I can get em for $5-6 in bulk, which is about what I pay now for my generic organic brand.

Ettie

Bought some Braum's CarbWatch Ice Cream tonight, knowing full well that there are 9g of sugar, at least, in it. It was pretty tasty.

http://www.braums.com/Images/Products/Nutritional/Low Carb Vanilla Label.jpg

INGREDIENTS: Fresh Grade 'A' whole milk, cream, maltitol syrup, stabilizer blend (monoglycerides, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, carrageenan), natural and artificial vanilla flavor, sucralose (Splenda brand), natural color annatto.

Best "low-carb" desert I've ever had by far. I think the 2g net carbs advert is a crock, but still leaps and bounds better than your average double dip cone or large shake. Got to be a lot they're not saying though.

I tried some of Safeway's own brand low-carb ice cream tonight and it was DELICIOUS! 3g net carbs (6g sugar alcohols) per serving. Tasted every bit as good as regular ice cream if not better! My enjoyment of it may have been falsely elevated by the fact that I haven't had any ice cream in ages, but still it was damn good! Recommended.

rkn

Zefah said:
You, like most people who try to lose weight or "get in shape", are probably over-training by a severe degree if you're working out 5-6 times a week (depending on the contents of your routine).
I don't feel as though I've over trained, as in I'm not totally beat up or injured, but I'm far from a work out expert, I'm just following the P90x schedule. Backstory, I originally lost 25 lbs, w/o workout (after being inspired by this very thread), and sort of plateaued. Then I incorporated P90x, while maintaining the same diet. I lost another 20-25 lbs after the first round.

I've just completed the second round and I've probably only dropped 6 or 7 lbs, but I have I guess you can say 'developed' in other areas, I'm not claiming muscle replacing fat, or anything, just that my shoulders are wider, things like that.
your comment read a bit harsh/jerkish, apologies if that wasn't the intent

AiTM

Banned
About to go to the grocery guys...Im usually pretty boring and buy the same things over and over...what does your typical grocery trip list look like? Looking for some ideas or suggestions.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
AiTM said:
About to go to the grocery guys...Im usually pretty boring and buy the same things over and over...what does your typical grocery trip list look like? Looking for some ideas or suggestions.

Boring? You mean awesome. I don't spend more than 15 minutes buying food per week. Boring food means you're doing it right. Interesting food is what you overeat and get fat on.

Here's a basic grocery list:
Baked chicken
Steak
Beef + marinara
Pre-cooked bacon
Carrots
Spring mix salad + some dressing without much flavor
Broccoli
Rice (plain, no seasoning)

Eat this and only this until you get full and you won't eat much. Don't mix anything except salad + salad dressing and beef + marinara.

Don't overcomplicate things. If it takes effort to cook, then when you're tired, busy, or whatever, you'll cave and order food. And that's bad.

teh_pwn said:
Boring? You mean awesome. I don't spend more than 15 minutes buying food per week. Boring food means you're doing it right. Interesting food is what you overeat and get fat on.

Here's a basic grocery list:
Baked chicken
Steak
Beef + marinara
Pre-cooked bacon
Carrots
Spring mix salad + some dressing without much flavor
Broccoli
Rice (plain, no seasoning)

Eat this and only this until you get full and you won't eat much. Don't mix anything except salad + salad dressing and beef + marinara.

Don't overcomplicate things. If it takes effort to cook, then when you're tired, busy, or whatever, you'll cave and order food. And that's bad.

I don't see eggs or sausage and I would substitute the rice for cottage cheese or 100% peanut butter

Top Bottom