• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, here is my menu for the rest of the week, is this enough if I am doing low carb?

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs and turkey bacon.
lunch: salad with chicken lunch meat, a but of cheese, and dressing.
Snacks: organic apples in the morning and almonds in the afternoon
Dinner: either chicken breast and a bag of veggies or steak and veggies.

Will that get me the nutrients needed and the calories I need? I really don't know what else tonadd to add more calories...

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright, here is my menu for the rest of the week, is this enough if I am doing low carb?

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs and turkey bacon.
lunch: salad with chicken lunch meat, a but of cheese, and dressing.
Snacks: organic apples in the morning and almonds in the afternoon
Dinner: either chicken breast and a bag of veggies or steak and veggies.

Will that get me the nutrients needed and the calories I need? I really don't know what else tonadd to add more calories...

Add a multivitamin--GNC has a really good mens vitamin right now and it's on sale for 15 bucks.
Get some fish oils pills
Get some flax seeds and grind 'em up and eat 'em
Snack on cottage cheese--it has less carbs and more protein than an apple

and add more fat to your diet. You'll feel fuller longer.

if you wanna add more calories add things like shredded cheese and peanut butter and instead of turkey bacon for breakfast fry up a sausage.

Srsly

Banned
teh_pwn said:
Boring? You mean awesome. I don't spend more than 15 minutes buying food per week. Boring food means you're doing it right. Interesting food is what you overeat and get fat on.

Here's a basic grocery list:
Baked chicken
Steak
Beef + marinara
Pre-cooked bacon
Carrots
Spring mix salad + some dressing without much flavor
Broccoli
Rice (plain, no seasoning)

Eat this and only this until you get full and you won't eat much. Don't mix anything except salad + salad dressing and beef + marinara.

Don't overcomplicate things. If it takes effort to cook, then when you're tired, busy, or whatever, you'll cave and order food. And that's bad.

Kroger was having a sale when I went last night on pre-cooked bacon and it was $2 a box. I bought 14 boxes -- two weeks straight of a box of bacon for breakfast = fuck yea

I had steak and broccoli for dinner tonight, without any butter, suaces or seasonings. It's amazing how much easier it is to feel satisfied with simple foods. I'm still afraid of rice, though, lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Srsly said:
Kroger was having a sale when I went last night on pre-cooked bacon and it was $2 a box. I bought 14 boxes -- two weeks straight of a box of bacon for breakfast = fuck yea

I had steak and broccoli for dinner tonight, without any butter, suaces or seasonings. It's amazing how much easier it is to feel satisfied with simple foods. I'm still afraid of rice, though, lol

The diet was insanely effective for me. I lost some lingering 10 lbs of fat, and I'm back in my 32" pants/shorts. I'm planning on adding some more flavor to prevent from overcutting. Rice, vegetables, meat, and some seasoning I think.

One tip I have is to avoid TV ads. DVR, netflix. If you do see some of your favorite foods you may have a spike in hunger. But then double check your hunger by thinking about eating the bland stuff in the fridge. You'll suddenly become less hungry.

DragonKnight said:
I don't see eggs or sausage and I would substitute the rice for cottage cheese or 100% peanut butter

These are excellent low carb foods, but have too much reward. Though they might be prudent for me now.

teh_pwn said:
The diet was insanely effective for me. I lost some lingering 10 lbs of fat, and I'm back in my 32" pants/shorts. I'm planning on adding some more flavor to prevent from overcutting. Rice, vegetables, meat, and some seasoning I think.

One tip I have is to avoid TV ads. DVR, netflix. If you do see some of your favorite foods you may have a spike in hunger. But then double check your hunger by thinking about eating the bland stuff in the fridge. You'll suddenly become less hungry.

These are excellent low carb foods, but have too much reward. Though they might be prudent for me now.

?

Here's my typical gorcoery list. I don't need to get all of this every time I go grocery shopping, but I try to keep all of this in my house at any given time.

Chicken breasts
Ground beef
Bacon (lower sodium no sugar added)
Whatever meat is on sale at the time and that looks good
Fish (if I feel like spending a lot of money)
Raw almonds
Spinach
Broccoli
Onions
Tomatoes
Romaine lettuce
Cheese
Milk
Eggs
Butter
Natural peanut butter
Natural almond butter
Sweet potatotes/Yams
Avacado
Quaker oats
Protein powder
Oranges
Apples
Usually some other kind of fruit...whatever looks good

teh_pwn

DragonKnight said:

Too much flavor. The tastier something is, the more likely you are to overeat it. Eating bland foods seems to optimize the body's leptin feedback system.

I'm not saying you have to do this or anything. I found the diet useful for linger 10 lbs. Low carb took care of the first 15.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
ArachosiA 78 said:
Here's my typical gorcoery list. I don't need to get all of this every time I go grocery shopping, but I try to keep all of this in my house at any given time.

Chicken breasts
Ground beef
Bacon (lower sodium no sugar added)
Whatever meat is on sale at the time and that looks good
Fish (if I feel like spending a lot of money)
Raw almonds
Spinach
Broccoli
Onions
Tomatoes
Romaine lettuce
Cheese
Milk
Eggs
Butter
Natural peanut butter
Natural almond butter
Sweet potatotes/Yams
Avacado
Quaker oats
Protein powder
Oranges
Apples
Usually some other kind of fruit...whatever looks good

Next time get some Greek Yogurt. Greek Yogurt + Protein Powder = heavenly

teh_pwn said:
Too much flavor. The tastier something is, the more likely you are to overeat it. Eating bland foods seems to optimize the body's leptin feedback system.

Figured that was what you meant. My breakfast is my tastiest meal of the day. Cheesy eggs and sausage. I literally can't wait to wake up in the mornings.

Srsly

Banned
teh_pwn said:

I think one of the reasons I'm afraid of rice is that I know it will remind me of my love for sushi and chinese food, both of which I can easily eat several plates of in one sitting. I think yam would be a good choice if I decide to add a starchy low reward food that doesn't remind me of anything.

teh_pwn

Srsly said:
I think one of the reasons I'm afraid of rice is that I know it will remind me of my love for sushi and chinese food, both of which I can easily eat several plates of in one sitting. I think yam would be a good choice if I decide to add a starchy low reward food that doesn't remind me of anything.

Plain white rice isn't easy to overeat. Sure if you add salt, butter, sugar, MSG, then it becomes extremely easy too or rather hard not to. By itself I can't eat more than a cup.

Srsly

Banned
teh_pwn said:
Plain white rice isn't easy to overeat. Sure if you add salt, butter, sugar, MSG, then it becomes extremely easy too or rather hard not to. By itself I can't eat more than a cup.

I'm planning on getting a VAP test at the end of the month. If my numbers show that I'm insulin sensitive, I'll definitely try the food reward thing and incorporate the bland carbs you've mentioned into my diet. I could use some more glycogen while weight training.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After some extensive reading on the subject today, I decided to pick up some supplements today!

I got:

Basic Multivitamin
Fish Oil 450 EPA 300 DHA capsules
Vitamin D3 5000 IU capsules
Calcium/Magnesium 375mg each pill

I'm going to start taking them tomorrow at breakfast.

I still want to get a Vitamin K2 supplement as well as a good all-around antioxidant. I couldn't find either at the store I visited.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
rkn said:
I don't feel as though I've over trained, as in I'm not totally beat up or injured, but I'm far from a work out expert, I'm just following the P90x schedule. Backstory, I originally lost 25 lbs, w/o workout (after being inspired by this very thread), and sort of plateaued. Then I incorporated P90x, while maintaining the same diet. I lost another 20-25 lbs after the first round.

I've just completed the second round and I've probably only dropped 6 or 7 lbs, but I have I guess you can say 'developed' in other areas, I'm not claiming muscle replacing fat, or anything, just that my shoulders are wider, things like that.
your comment read a bit harsh/jerkish, apologies if that wasn't the intent

No jerkish intended, but even though I have no idea what your routine entails, it seems like 5-6 dedicated exercise sessions a week is a lot. The more and more I read, the more and more it looks like frequent low-intensity exercise combined with resistance training and infrequent and short sessions of high-intensity cardio are far more effective than frequent sessions of sustained high-intensity cardio sessions.

oatmeal

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I tried some of Safeway's own brand low-carb ice cream tonight and it was DELICIOUS! 3g net carbs (6g sugar alcohols) per serving. Tasted every bit as good as regular ice cream if not better! My enjoyment of it may have been falsely elevated by the fact that I haven't had any ice cream in ages, but still it was damn good! Recommended.

*goes to grocery store*

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Dude in Fitness thread says I should be eating carbs after a workout. What do?

Lots of schools of thought on that one. I try not to pay much attention to broscience, but if you do eat carbs, make sure the aren't processed garbage.

What kind of work out are you planning anyway? It's not one of those high-intensity long-duration cardio workouts that is just going to release a bunch of cortisol and decrease your overall health, is it?

Zefah said:
Lots of schools of thought on that one. I try not to pay much attention to broscience, but if you do eat carbs, make sure the aren't processed garbage.

What kind of work out are you planning anyway? It's not one of those high-intensity long-duration cardio workouts that is just going to release a bunch of cortisol and decrease your overall health, is it?
So far I've just been doing some light interval cardio - basically 30m or so of brisk walking on the treadmill at different speeds and elevations. But I feel like that's only going to take me so far so I'm starting to add in some resistance/strength training - simple free-weight lifts, resistance bands, squats, and other basic exercises. This based on recommendations from a personal trainer I just started working with today.

Gary Whitta said:
So far I've just been doing some light interval cardio - basically 30m or so of brisk walking on the treadmill at different speeds and elevations. But I feel like that's only going to take me so far so I'm starting to add in some resistance/strength training - simple free-weight lifts, resistance bands, squats, and other basic exercises. This based on recommendations from a personal trainer I just started working with today.

Why aren't you doing HIIT?

Gary Whitta said:
He's right. They help with muscle recovery. It's the only time I would ever advocate eating simple carbs...you want to get them in your system as quickly as possible.

This is the point in my day where I incorporate fruit.

ArachosiA 78 said:
He's right. They help with muscle recovery. It's the only time I would ever advocate eating simple carbs...you want to get them in your system as quickly as possible.

How about a protein shake made with milk for a protein/carb combo?

ArachosiA 78 said:

I have been doing this for a few weeks now (and also before workout) and it has been beneficial, but then again, I'm no longer trying to lose fat.

teh_pwn

Only do HIIT if you're already fit in a muscular sense. Asking an overweight, sedentary person to do high impact cardio is asking for an overuse injury.

It's great that studies on HIIT talk about performance/gains, but I don't think I ever see them discuss the risk of injuries that take months to years to fix.

ch0mp

AiTM said:
About to go to the grocery guys...Im usually pretty boring and buy the same things over and over...what does your typical grocery trip list look like? Looking for some ideas or suggestions.
Pretty much the same thing every day/week for me.
eggs
bacon
sausage
yoghurt
blueberries/raspberries.
meat
vegetables
curry paste
coconut milk/cream
tomato based sauce
80% chocolate
coconut oil/olive oil when needed

I normally make a curry which will last me 3 days with meat, vegies, curry paste and coconut milk. Then a tomato based meat and vegies dish for 3 more days. Tastes great and really easy
Gary Whitta said:
It will replace your depleted glycogen stores much faster, you probably want it to be higher GI if you're going to do it. I normally throw in some (but not much) rice with my dinner when I've worked hard.

teh_pwn said:
Only do HIIT if you're already fit in a muscular sense. Asking an overweight, sedentary person to do high impact cardio is asking for an overuse injury.

It's great that studies on HIIT talk about performance/gains, but I don't think I ever see them discuss the risk of injuries that take months to years to fix.

The link I provided went over all of that and how to build up to it but I see your point

Struct09

HIIT is not a good fit for low-carb dieters. You will feel like absolute crap if you're not providing your body with the correct fuel for high intensity cardio. I learned this lesson the hard way :(

I still do HIIT, but I also now make sure to eat a reasonable amount of carbs.

Struct09 said:
HIIT is not a good fit for low-carb dieters. You will feel like absolute crap if you're not providing your body with the correct fuel for high intensity cardio. I learned this lesson the hard way :(

I still do HIIT, but I also now make sure to eat a reasonable amount of carbs.

Really? I didn't. I stopped doing it though because I'd rather go for distance. That recent boxer guy (Manny something) commercial got me motivated.

Now I turn my treadmill up to like 6.5 mph and just run for as long as I can. I'm at 12 minutes right now which is crazy considering that early this summer I could barely do that for 5 mintues.

TheTowel

Well here I am. Lurked this thread for awhile off and on, bout time I got back into shape.
Not that out of shape for my size, maybe 10-15lbs heavier than I'd like to be. Weigh between 185-190, 6ft tall reasonably muscular.

Graduated college last year, jumped on the scale and it said 215. Holy shit, I needed to drop. 180 was my goal but only got down to the mid 190s. Ate healthy, biked ~50 miles a week and did pushups situps, ect.

In short, I'm doing the low carb. I can handle it thus far, started Sunday. I usually eat pretty well anyway, just kicked out the carbs for now. Only times I ate like shit was hitting the pub for a night of indulgence then gorging on shit for the hangover. Didn't really move up or down in weight, just bounced between a few pounds.

My goal is no beer, few if any carbs, and lifting and moderate cycling for around 2 months. I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch (very low carb dressing), and a steak or more chicken for dinner. Cheese or something else for snacks.

For now, I'm in the your little club. Goal weight is 175.

Only question - is it possible to lose fat while low-carbin while putting on muscle through lifting? I've read around alot and haven't been able to figure it out yet. Seems like it'd just keep the muscle the same rather than lose it through the diet.

HIIT is not for me right now because (a) I don't feel fit enough for that kind of high impact yet and (b) even if I were, I don't live in the kind of neighborhood where sprinting is really that practical.

Everything I've read here and elsewhere suggests that some form of strength/resistance training is helpful for weight loss so I'm hoping getting into the routine of just some basic free weight and resistance band stuff will help with that. My first session with the trainer today demonstrated just how out of shape I am so I need to start small and build up!

Gary Whitta said:
HIIT is not for me right now because (a) I don't feel fit enough for that kind of high impact yet and (b) even if I were, I don't live in the kind of neighborhood where sprinting is really that practical.

Everything I've read here and elsewhere suggests that some form of strength/resistance training is helpful for weight loss so I'm hoping getting into the routine of just some basic free weight and resistance band stuff will help with that. My first session with the trainer today demonstrated just how out of shape I am so I need to start small and build up!

The best basic free weight training: Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows. This will give you a very solid foundation. But you might have to increase your carb consumption post workout as squats and deadlifts are especially strenuous (though not in the beginning). Start with just the bar and add 5-10lbs each workout. Hopefully your trainer knows proper form. I would also throw in some pullups.

I would squat 3x a week, bench 2x a week, deadlift 2x a week, overhead press 1x a week, barbell rows 1x, and do pullups 1x a week

3 sets of 5 reps for the squats, bench, overhead press and rows. 1 set of five for the deadlift and 2 sets of 10 for the pullups.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well since I last posted I've been down to around 139 pound (from around 144). I think mostly by exercising a little more and drinking a lot less alcohol. Gonna see where it takes me, haven't had time to go swimming the last few weeks but picked it up last week again and want to return to two one-hour sessions each week.

shamo42

AiTM said:
About to go to the grocery guys...Im usually pretty boring and buy the same things over and over...what does your typical grocery trip list look like? Looking for some ideas or suggestions.

My list:

Meat:
chicken legs/ breast
pork shoulder/ belly/ roast
all kinds of beef
all kinds of hoarse

Nuts and seeds:
almonds, almond butter
peanut butter
flax seeds
sesame seeds

Fats
olive oil
canola oil
flax seed oil (over 50% Omega 3)
butter
heavy cream
coconut milk

Vegetables:
salad
avocado
tomatoes
garlic
ginger

Other:
LC bread from local bakery
tons of Italian and French cheese (Mascarpone, Reblochon, Taleggio Vero,...)
eggs
nori
stevia

dejay

Banned
Day 5 (I think) of my low carb diet. So far it's amazing. I have so much energy, I'm getting stuff done all over the place, I have a better attitude to problems because instead of feeling what a drag it's going to be to resolve it, I see it as something I can jump on. I'm striding around the place and my mood is better (apart from one afternoon I was talking about before where I didn't eat enough).

I've continued to lose weight, sometimes half a kilo a day, but I'm never hungry if I eat enough. An example of eating enough:

lCo3Q.jpg

Breakfast this morning - so good! It's basically 6 rashers of bacon (with the fat left on), haloumi cheese, and a tomato cooked, over which I pour three eggs to make a big fucking omelette. The I flip it over in half and slide it onto my plate, pouring the fat from the pan over it.

I'm not sure if this mood/energy is going to keep up, but I can definitely see this becoming a lifestyle. I feel like I'm living properly for the first time - I imagine this is how it feels when I used to watch people with boundless energy and wonder where they got it from. I used to be cynical about this type of diet, assuming that it was just a matter of people cutting back total calories and that calories in/calories out was the thing that was actually doing the work. Now I can see that I was wrong - the fact that I can eat enough and not feel hungry or tired from under eating rocks.

Gary Whitta said:

If you have access, do it on elliptical or stationary bike. I can't handle much sprinting anymore either, although when I do it's uphill to make it easier on my back. Also you can do calisthenics as HIIT in a circuit; for example do a set of pushups, then without rest do a set of body squats, repeat till you puke.

It better prepares your cardio for intense activity, which is often more useful in the real world. If you train for intensity, you'll be able to do slow cardio also, but slow cardio doesn't carry over so well to HIIT. Same with weight training, this also improves your heart's ability to handle intense activity, improving your blood pressure and recovery.

But I eat whatever, so I don't know anything about low carb and HIIT.

DragonKnight said:
The best basic free weight training: Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows. This will give you a very solid foundation. But you might have to increase your carb consumption post workout as squats and deadlifts are especially strenuous (though not in the beginning). Start with just the bar and add 5-10lbs each workout. Hopefully your trainer knows proper form. I would also throw in some pullups.
Just so you have a general idea of where I'm starting out, I am currently incapable of doing even one single pull-up :

omgkitty

Gary Whitta said:
Just so you have a general idea of where I'm starting out, I am currently incapable of doing even one single pull-up :

Yeah if it makes you feel better, I think most of the general population can't do a pull-up.

omgkitty said:
Yeah if it makes you feel better, I think most of the general population can't do a pull-up.
It seems lame but then I realize that I'm basically asking myself to lift more than 200lbs with only my arms, which I wouldn't feel bad about being unable to do under almost any other circumstances.

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
I'm part of that club. High five?

Yesterday I had my first session with a trainer, too. She had me doing the exercise in the link below. I'm actually so bad off that I couldn't do the fluid motion, so I had to counter-balance a bit with my legs on the way down, putting maybe 75% of the effort in my arms (was using a squat bar, so didn't need a chair).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opr72q6NKTc

LosDaddie

Banned
Had a bad weekend, diet-wise. We had family in town for a b-day party, and I didn't make the best choices on what I ate, and I missed my work-out on Monday because some family was still in town.

But I still managed to lose ~2 lbs! :) The weightscale was kind to me this morning. I played some fierce games of racquetball yesterday, went running (about 1.5mi) this morning, and I'm hitting the gym hard for about 45min today after work. I hope to lose another ~1 lb before the weekend hits.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I try to work a cheat day in about once or twice a month.

Nah, it's perfectly fine to have a Cheat Day once a week, actually. I had a weekly Cheat Day a few years ago when I lost 30 lbs getting ready for my wedding, and I'm doing the same now and losing ~2 lbs week. The Cheat Day is my ticket to sanity. :)

But hey, whatever works for you.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
DragonKnight said:
Add a multivitamin--GNC has a really good mens vitamin right now and it's on sale for 15 bucks.
Get some fish oils pills
Get some flax seeds and grind 'em up and eat 'em
Snack on cottage cheese--it has less carbs and more protein than an apple

and add more fat to your diet. You'll feel fuller longer.

if you wanna add more calories add things like shredded cheese and peanut butter and instead of turkey bacon for breakfast fry up a sausage.

Forgot to note that I did get multivitamin and fish oil pills this weekend. Might do the cottage cheese next time too. That would be good to bring for lunch as well.

@Gary
As for the turkey bacon, I still cannot force myself to eat a ton of real bacon, even on low carb. It just feels wrong, as all I was taught is that bacon is bad for you and to eat very sparingly. :p

Deadly Cyclone said:
@Gary
As for the turkey bacon, I still cannot force myself to eat a ton of real bacon, even on low carb. It just feels wrong, as all I was taught is that bacon is bad for you and to eat very sparingly. :p
Yeah I had that mental block the first time I tried low-carb years ago. But I've pushed past it this time. I've got all my bloodwork coming back in the next couple of days so I'll be interested to see what my numbers are. My blood pressure is 120/70 which is the best it's ever been.

Top Bottom